Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Games with Gold

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

I have never even heard of those games. I was hoping for Lost Planet and maybe King Kong. What a terrible service. Four years of gold membership and this is what the offer, Microsoft deserve to lose the next gen competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Moan moan moan. 6 months ago we got nothing for the sub. Three games out of this I didn't have but enjoyed (AC, Halo 3 and Crackdown) which is more than I got in the previous years of having Xbox live.

Anyway, it was obvious next month was going to be **** with Halo this month and the One releasing next month. I would expect the December 16th freebie to be a good one for Xmas.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

The way I see it, if MS are going to keep giving away sh!te of this calibre, they may as well not bother at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Rascasse wrote: »
    Moan moan moan. 6 months ago we got nothing for the sub. Three games out of this I didn't have but enjoyed (AC, Halo 3 and Crackdown) which is more than I got in the previous years of having Xbox live.

Anyway, it was obvious next month was going to be **** with Halo this month and the One releasing next month. I would expect the December 16th freebie to be a good one for Xmas.

But, tbf, if you're going to do something at least try to make a good go of it and not just give freebies that noone would consider buying anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

FutureGuy wrote: »
    The way I see it, if MS are going to keep giving away sh!te of this calibre, they may as well not bother at all.

I rather suspect that's the point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I played Keflings on my other account and it's been a while but to anyone who gets it save often and to different slots there were some serious game breaking bugs when I played it hence me not doing it on my main account, i knew there were bugs, i got totally screwed around 75% in :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

We are entitled to moan. If these are the paltry offers MS think they can rival PS3 with, well they deserve to get their ass kicked when they face off with PS next gen.

Don't get me wrong I am a staunch 360 supporter but if they want to rival PS3 (and rival PS4 with the XB1) then they need to at least have parity with what the PS3 release every month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

This program is a bit like Sonic the Hedgehogs games. You're always looking forward to the next one thinking they've finally got it right, but end up feeling somewhat disappointed.

Its probably a way to keep publishers sweet (they get 'x' amount of dollars for a game that really isn't selling much any more, possibly some DLC will be bought by customers as well).

We get to play some games that we mightn't have bought before (sometimes with good reason). And, heck, might even enjoy for a bit.

Or, if there's enough stink on the internet you might get a decent game like crackdown or dead rising.

But, by then we've already renewed our Gold sub, so there's always next month.

Next month they'll get it right. Won't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

If PS+ didn't exist, this would be fine. But when the direct competition is bringing out Far Cry 3, Remember Me and MGS Rising ( just to name a few of the recent PS+ entries) it just seems lazy on microsoft's part

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

If PS+ didn't exist, this would be fine. But when the direct competition is bringing out Far Cry 3, Remember Me and MGS Rising ( just to name a few of the recent PS+ entries) it just seems lazy on microsoft's part

Lazy? I'd call it downright stingey on their part as they won't pay the dollars to get the good games, instead we get unknown xrap titles, and titles from half a decade ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Remember that PS+ is a different proposition, they essentially lend you the games provided you continue to pay the sub. If they decide to stop supporting PS+ for the PS3 tomorrow then you lose the games. MS are giving you the game forever provided you have a sub at the time the game is offered.

At the end of the day MS don't need to offer a service like PS+ as they were clever enough not to give away online gaming for free. Sony made $140m from PS+ last year, Microsoft made 1.25 billion from Gold subs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Remember that PS+ is a different proposition, they essentially lend you the games provided you continue to pay the sub. If they decide to stop supporting PS+ for the PS3 tomorrow then you lose the games. MS are giving you the game forever provided you have a sub at the time the game is offered.

At the end of the day MS don't need to offer a service like PS+ as they were clever enough not to give away online gaming for free. Sony made $140m from PS+ last year, Microsoft made 1.25 billion from Gold subs.

But seeing now as you need PS+ to play online with the PS4 the above point is mute and will make MS look even worse in about 6 months time as more and more have X1s and PS4s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

I don't care how clever MS were, it's the customers who lose out if those are the titles they're offering, they're not getting the benefit of that 1.25 billion, just MS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

At the end of the day MS don't need to offer a service like PS+ as they were clever greedy enough not to give away online gaming for free. Sony made $140m from PS+ last year, Microsoft made 1.25 billion from Gold subs.
    That's the what most are concerned with.
    While it may seem 'clever' for MS, a lot of xbox360 owners are jumping ship.
    I haven't heard of anyone going the opposite direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Iano_128

Allyall wrote: »
    That's the what most are concerned with.
    While it may seem 'clever' for MS, a lot of xbox360 owners are jumping ship.
    I haven't heard of anyone going the opposite direction.

Have to agree there! I'm one of many people I've talked to who are going to get a PS4 instead of the new Xbox and have had an Xbox since day one. I haven't heard of anyone whose going from PS to Xbox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Iron Brigade is available now in case anyone has forgot...like I did, until just now :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Iron Brigade is available now in case anyone has forgot...like I did, until just now :p

please try and help me forget again:pac:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,397 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Is it any good?

Any word on what we're getting next month? Better be something decent for christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Is it any good?

Any word on what we're getting next month? Better be something decent for christmas.

were getting an xbox one:P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

"Gears of War" and "Shoot many Robots" are up next.

Will it be enough to make me turn off the Xbox One? No.

See here.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,397 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Gears of War 1? Ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Jesus, why even bother?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Gears of War 1, that is a poor choice to give away free, I couldn't give away my download code for it that came with GOW Judgement.

Don't know what Shoot Many Robots is, It would be safe to assume, that its a 3D XBLA shooter that sold badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Gears of War 1, that is a poor choice to give away free, I couldn't give away my download code for it that came with GOW Judgement.

I actually have two of them sitting at home right now, like you, can't give them away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

GoW 1? Seriously?

I figured it would be a bit much to expect something like Judgement, but even if it was the third one it wouldn't be so bad. All three of them are dead sales wise at his stage so why not give the third one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I got Gears bundled with my Xbox way back in 2006. Good time, good times.

It'd be surprising if people haven't played it yet, though others said that about Halo 3 last month and I've still not played that.

As someone said to me last night on live during a game, giving gears away is an insult to die hard xbox live gold subscribers, they are the bread and butter of the service and I would say you would struggle to find any more than 5% of them who haven't played GOW :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Case Zero is the only thing I've gotten so far and I love free stuff, pretty pathetic really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I was hoping they'd go with GoW3 to bump up the live games. Gears 1? jaysus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

Is shoot many robots any good? Is it worth downloading on december 16th?

I have yet to download any free game as my internet speed isnt great and downloading the full 8gb games would take forever! I would only consider downloading good arcade games as they are generally small in size.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

happy Christmas me arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

Remarkable...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

No announcements for the xbox one free games yet? Gow is a pathetic offering.. i have 75 games arcade of course i cant play on my xbox one.. will not be buying arcade games this gen purely because of that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Screaming Monkey

they have Fallout 3 for 7.95 on Xbox at the moment, just got that instead, not going to even waste my bandwidth on downloading GOW 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,870 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

It'd be surprising if people haven't played it yet, though others said that about Halo 3 last month and I've still not played that.

I've only played Gears 2, first game I bought actually (for 360)! I'm probably the only one by the sounds of it though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

No announcements for the xbox one free games yet? Gow is a pathetic offering.. i have 75 games arcade of course i cant play on my xbox one.. will not be buying arcade games this gen purely because of that

Xbox One games they will announcing 'Later in 2014' (probably when they've enough Arcade bumpf to offload (and Killer Instinct, of course)

Japan get Halo Wars as the Games with Gold instead of Gears of War, due to it being too violent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

I'd kinda like Halo wars...

• Advertisement

maximoose wrote: »

Well I haven't played it, and would have preferred it over GOW1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Lads I'm delighted after my xbox got the rrod years ago I gave all my games away.... Gow was my favourite and now I have it again! Yes while almost everyone has played it it's still classic and I for one am happy enough with it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

For the love of God, don't be tempted to change region. :P

I did it, without knowing it's illegal/frowned upon/not a done thing. And am living in fear ever since that the console could be banned. Apparently i should have known..:o

Incidentally , you can buy Halo Wars for £8 on amazon. Or used for £5.65. (Used limited edition is £6.99)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,870 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Well I haven't played it, and would have preferred it over GOW1.

I played it, only game I've sold off as it just really wasn't my cup o' tea.

Japan get Halo Wars as the Games with Gold instead of Gears of War, due to it being too violent.

Lousy, I'd love halo wars, never got to play it back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

yea I'd prefer Halo Wars. That and R.U.S.E are 2 strategy games I've always come very close to getting but never quite made it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

It's been so long, after all that giving out I'm actually kinda enjoying playing through GOW campaign again :pac: Anyone for some co-op?

Shoot Many Robots is fun for about 20 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

It's been so long, after all that giving out I'm actually kinda enjoying playing through GOW campaign again :pac: Anyone for some co-op?

Shoot Many Robots is fun for about 20 mins.

I'll happily do Co op for a few hours.... However to start means to finish not all in one go but eventually.... Not sure when I will get online though Xmas tree has to go up today and she will want to watch Xmas movies so the TV is taken...... Will be on tonight at some stage

Well well well some decent games in the new year, Sleeping Dogs then Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light.

2 pretty decent games ........ that I already have :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I had sleeping dogs on my to buy at some stage list, finally a result from MS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

That's more like it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement