Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 course meal

• 26-02-2017 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

What is considered to be a 3 course meal?
    I went out for dinner and it was advertised that a 3 course meal was 15 euro (cheap I know!).
    Looking at the menu there was no dessert listed. It turned out that Tea/Coffee was a course! I would have never considered that tea/coffee was a course. I was told by the manager that it is normal!
    I am almost 40 now and this is the first time I have been told that a cup of tea is a course in a meal!

Comments

AryaStark wrote: »
    I went out for dinner and it was advertised that a 3 course meal was 15 euro (cheap I know!).
    Looking at the menu there was no desert listed. It turned out that Tea/Coffee was a course! I would have never considered that tea/coffee was a course. I was told by the manager that it is normal!
    I am almost 40 now and this is the first time I have been told that a cup of tea is a course in a meal!

Total scam, got caught out by that before after ordering dessert!
    Any other place i've seen it they explicitly state that one of the courses is tea/coffee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Looking at the menu there was no desert listed. It turned out that Tea/Coffee was a course! I would have never considered that tea/coffee was a course. I was told by the manager that it is normal!

No Sahara, Gobi or even Mojave?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yep I have seen it described as such in some restaurants. TBH at €15 you really shouldn't be complaining unless you're from Cavan?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

gandalf wrote: »
    Yep I have seen it described as such in some restaurants. TBH at €15 you really shouldn't be complaining unless you're from Cavan?

I know it was very cheap and it is a nice enough restaurant so I was surprised. The courses were very small and limited too i.e 2 starters and 2 mains to choose from. I was expecting a small dessert!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Tea/coffee are now a course as a matter of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Ya get what ya pay for I suppose. Wouldn't expect to be loosening the belt for 15 squid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think it's a cheap tactic but I do think it's a widely known fact of bargain '3 course' meals. I suppose for €15 if you're getting a starter, main and cup of coffee it's really not bad value at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I think it is normal with those early birds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Most places count tea/coffee as a course and always did. Hence the usual full spread is usually referred to as a 4 course meal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,676 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

a 3 course meal has to include dessert. if you buy a car with a 3 ltr engine , one of the ltrs cant be the antifreeze..... either walk or threaten to leave a bad yelp review :D

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    a 3 course meal has to include dessert. if you buy a car with a 3 ltr engine , one of the ltrs cant be the antifreeze..... either walk or threaten to leave a bad yelp review :D

That analogy doesn't work at all. The antifreeze is like the salt or pepper, not the courses.

me_irl wrote: »
    No Sahara, Gobi or even Mojave?!?

Fixed that!!!

You think that's bad. I went for a five course lunch couple of years back. Assumed that course No5 was a glass of house wine (which we ordered).

When the bill came, noticed it was higher than the fixed price and that we had been charged for wine. When questioned, the waitress said the fifth course was.........

The mint imperial placed on top of the bill!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Beggars can't be choosers

You think that's bad. I went for a five course lunch couple of years back. Assumed that course No5 was a glass of house wine (which we ordered).

When the bill came, noticed it was higher than the fixed price and that we had been charged for wine. When questioned, the waitress said the fifth course was.........

The mint imperial placed on top of the bill!

This has to be a joke!!!

If not then its very bad practice. The restaurant I went to was lovely and the food was great. I will also go back again, just wondered if it was normal to call a tea a course! If I was told that a mint was a course then Id never return!

This has to be a joke!!!

If not then its very bad practice. The restaurant I went to was lovely and the food was great. I will also go back again, just wondered if it was normal to call a tea a course! If I was told that a mint was a course then Id never return!

Never returned and it's in an area that we would frequent often. Made sure everyone knew aswell. They have the best location and felt like they were just ripping the piss out of passing trade with the "5 courses for 24.95" scam.

But if you don't get return business, then you may find yourself having to sell up. Which they have been trying to do for a long time.

Always knew tea/coffee was a course a never had an issue with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I can accept tea/coffee as a 'course' in the context of these offers as there is at least a monetary value associated with them and they're a staple of a multi-course meal, regardless of whether or not you agree they constitute an actual course.

But to label an imperial mint as a course is just beyond outrageous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

silverharp wrote: »

I think a place offering a €15 "3 course meal" wouldn't be too concerned with a bad review.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

A few years ago I was in a pub beside a big cattle mart. " 3 courses AND tea & coffee ". The dessert was a slice of Gateaux Raspberry Swiss Roll. Big, thick slice it was too. Went down a treat with strong tea.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Tea isn't a ****ing course; that's insane!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

3 course meals contribute to obesity so I like the way that restaurant is combatting it. If a starter and dinner washed down with a cup of tea isn't enough for you it's time to see your gp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

What happens if you don't drink tea or coffee

Youre one of those latte or americano yuppies?

Most places count tea/coffee as a course and always did. Hence the usual full spread is usually referred to as a 4 course meal.

I don't think so, any time I've had a four course meal it's been a cheeseboard as the fourth or some other savoureux.

Tea, coffee, brandy and sometimes mints came after, just as an amuse bouche or aperatif comes before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

3 course meals contribute to obesity so I like the way that restaurant is combatting it. If a starter and dinner washed down with a cup of tea isn't enough for you it's time to see your gp.

That's a ridiculous statement. How do you know what people have eaten over the course of a whole week?

You could eat a 4 course meal twice a week and lose weight depending on the rest of your diet and exercise. It would also depend on what you had at said 4 course meal.

Tea - not a course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Youre one of those latte or americano yuppies?

Was that aimed at me? If so I don't drink tea or coffee or latte's or Americano's or any of that crap :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Oh here's the truth.

Middle class ppl and above know full well tea/coffee would be considered a course on a set menu and poorer working class ppl wouldn't necessarily know.

It's really not meant to be a rip off but the ppl who prepare the menu would be aware that it could be mis-understood by working-class ppl, and could use that to their advantage, but probably don't.

There you go, hope that clears things up.

Go away with you middle and working class rubbish, this isn't 1920.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I suppose realistically €15 was reasonable value but their marketing of the offer is all wrong.
    They would do better advertising a two course special with complimentary cup of tea or coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Go away with you middle and working class rubbish, this isn't 1920.

What, you don't think their exists a working class - middle class divide anymore? Why, just cause you've got a big TV ?

Not me talking rubbish mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

Don't be too cross with them! It's a very normal thing for set menus to label tea and coffee as a course. The idea that it's a scam is wonderful, as if it's a get rich scheme to diddle an unsuspecting public out of their hard earned cash rather than trying to promote themselves. They are obviously trying to attract people not repel them after one disappointment by 'stealing' back a dessert from them and replacing it with a coffee (what would be the typical difference between the price of a coffee and a slice of apple pie for example? A couple of euro?)

Not including the imperial mint, someone clearly needs a slap in that business.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Sounds like a scam to me, you can call tea/coffee a course all you want but a 3-course meal is taken by almost everyone to be a starter, main course and desert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

learn_more wrote: »
    What, you don't think their exists a working class - middle class divide anymore? Why, just cause you've got a big TV ?

Not me talking rubbish mate.

The class differences exist - but the workers can now afford to eat out. It's not 1920

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

It strikes me that's I've never had a set menu 3 course meal (although I once had a 10 course meal).

Funny that the middle classes are not going a la carte.

A quick search on Google though seems to indicate that appetiser/main/dessert is common worldwide.

Sounds like a scam to me, you can call tea/coffee a course all you want but a 3-course meal is taken by almost everyone to be a starter, main course and desert.

I agree with this and its what I was expecting!!! Starter, main and dessert!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

You cant count coffee as a course unless there are more than 6 courses.

This is a fact and cannot be disputed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

Yeah, I've heard tea or coffee called a course. €15 for a starter, main and tea/coffee is extremely cheap. Wouldn't see that as a scam at all.

__Alex__ wrote: »
    Yeah, I've heard tea or coffee called a course. €15 for a starter, main and tea/coffee is extremely cheap. Wouldn't see that as a scam at all.

I never said it was a scam... just wondering if it was normal. While it was very cheap the courses were very small and there was only 2 choices of starter and main. I loved the food and will be going back as it was great value, just not good advertising!

I never said it was a scam... just wondering if it was normal. While it was very cheap the courses were very small and there was only 2 choices of starter and main. I loved the food and will be going back as it was great value, just not good advertising!

Other posters have said it was a scam.

Even if the courses were small, €15 for them AND tea/coffee is very cheap.

If the three courses were food-based, I would dread to think what the food would be like at such a low price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,822 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When I was at college we did a little bit of menu writing and Tea/Coffee was always considered as a course!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,898 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Tea/Coffee can count as a course, not a scam. "The more you know" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

Beggars can't be choosers

They can choose where to beg .

Other posters have said it was a scam.

Even if the courses were small, €15 for them AND tea/coffee is very cheap.

If the three courses were food-based, I would dread to think what the food would be like at such a low price.

Using cheaper cuts and careful costing you could put up a very acceptable basic meal and still turn a small profit.

As an "early bird" special to get people in and hopefully return and maybe try your ala carte it's a good idea. However by advertising a cup of tea as a course you risk losing goodwill.

Much better to say two course + tea or coffee or maybe main plus starter or dessert plus tea/coffee. This can allow two budget diners to taste both your starter and dessert and thus get a better idea of what you can serve up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Absolutely. Why not advertise a 2-course meal and 'throw in' the tea/coffee for free at the end. For people in the hospitality business, it doesn't seem very hospitable to say, 'dessert??? Lol! No, silly - your 3rd course is tea or Nescafe...'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

learn_more wrote: »
    Oh here's the truth.

Middle class ppl and above know full well tea/coffee would be considered a course on a set menu and poorer working class ppl wouldn't necessarily know.

It's really not meant to be a rip off but the ppl who prepare the menu would be aware that it could be mis-understood by working-class ppl, and could use that to their advantage, but probably don't.

There you go, hope that clears things up.

If you presented a cup of tea or coffee as a "course" to great-uncle Brigadier-General Sir Peregrine JC Bamford-Goose he'd have shoved his .38 Webley up your arse and shot you clean through the gall-bladder. What you want is an aperitif, possibly an amuse-bouche, followed by hors d'oeuvres. Then starter/main/desert. Followed by a nice palate-cleansing sorbet before the cheeeseboard, then brandy-and-cigars. What are we at now, nine? Yes, that's more like it.

elperello wrote: »
    Using cheaper cuts and careful costing you could put up a very acceptable basic meal and still turn a small profit.

Even so, there are a lot of fixed costs that must be applied to every meal. So you'd be still hard-pressed to produce a decent three course meal for that price point, even with using cheaper cuts.

jimgoose wrote: »
    If you presented a cup of tea or coffee as a "course" to great-uncle Brigadier-General Sir Peregrine JC Bamford-Goose he'd have shoved his .38 Webley up your arse and shot you clean through the gall-bladder. What you want is an aperitif, possibly an amuse-bouche, followed by hors d'oeuvres. Then starter/main/desert. Followed by a nice palate-cleansing sorbet before the cheeeseboard, then brandy-and-cigars. What are we at now, nine? Yes, that's more like it.

That should be starter/soup/mains/dessert, as it was in my heyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

There is no doubt Ireland is an expensive country for dining out, IMO.
    We used to live in France and we would often pop out for a meal in a Les Routiers place. Simple, but good food.
    The starter consisted of a buffet with salads and fish, the main was usually something, something meat with potatoes and a sauce that fitted with the meat. Dessert or cheeseboard for 12€ at the time. I have noticed it is now 14€.
    There was always a choice of two main dishes and two desserts.

Another place we frequented was 11€ for starter, main, dessert and 1/4 bottle of wine pp. There was no choice. It was the menu of the day and that was it. The wine wasn't particularly good but palatable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

That should be starter/soup/mains/dessert, as it was in my heyday.

What about fish course. And then meat course?

Anyway I wouldn't consider coffee and tea a course, maybe if they produce very good espresso with some biscuits. I think listing it as three course will just make people feel there was some false advertising. Offer it as two courses and coffee/tea and they will think it's a good value.

Even so, there are a lot of fixed costs that must be applied to every meal. So you'd be still hard-pressed to produce a decent three course meal for that price point, even with using cheaper cuts.

Sorry, I meant two course + tea/coffee for €15 which is do-able. Of course you are right about fixed costs and the proprietor won't get rich on this type of business.

• Advertisement
Advertisement