Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 course meal

Options
  • 26-02-2017 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

What is considered to be a 3 course meal?
    I went out for dinner and it was advertised that a 3 course meal was 15 euro (cheap I know!).
    Looking at the menu there was no dessert listed. It turned out that Tea/Coffee was a course! I would have never considered that tea/coffee was a course. I was told by the manager that it is normal!
    I am almost 40 now and this is the first time I have been told that a cup of tea is a course in a meal!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

AryaStark wrote: »
    I went out for dinner and it was advertised that a 3 course meal was 15 euro (cheap I know!).
    Looking at the menu there was no desert listed. It turned out that Tea/Coffee was a course! I would have never considered that tea/coffee was a course. I was told by the manager that it is normal!
    I am almost 40 now and this is the first time I have been told that a cup of tea is a course in a meal!

Total scam, got caught out by that before after ordering dessert!
    Any other place i've seen it they explicitly state that one of the courses is tea/coffee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Looking at the menu there was no desert listed. It turned out that Tea/Coffee was a course! I would have never considered that tea/coffee was a course. I was told by the manager that it is normal!

No Sahara, Gobi or even Mojave?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yep I have seen it described as such in some restaurants. TBH at €15 you really shouldn't be complaining unless you're from Cavan?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

gandalf wrote: »
    Yep I have seen it described as such in some restaurants. TBH at €15 you really shouldn't be complaining unless you're from Cavan?

I know it was very cheap and it is a nice enough restaurant so I was surprised. The courses were very small and limited too i.e 2 starters and 2 mains to choose from. I was expecting a small dessert!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Tea/coffee are now a course as a matter of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Ya get what ya pay for I suppose. Wouldn't expect to be loosening the belt for 15 squid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think it's a cheap tactic but I do think it's a widely known fact of bargain '3 course' meals. I suppose for €15 if you're getting a starter, main and cup of coffee it's really not bad value at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I think it is normal with those early birds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Most places count tea/coffee as a course and always did. Hence the usual full spread is usually referred to as a 4 course meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

a 3 course meal has to include dessert. if you buy a car with a 3 ltr engine , one of the ltrs cant be the antifreeze..... either walk or threaten to leave a bad yelp review :D

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

silverharp wrote: »
    a 3 course meal has to include dessert. if you buy a car with a 3 ltr engine , one of the ltrs cant be the antifreeze..... either walk or threaten to leave a bad yelp review :D

That analogy doesn't work at all. The antifreeze is like the salt or pepper, not the courses.

me_irl wrote: »
    No Sahara, Gobi or even Mojave?!?

Fixed that!!!

You think that's bad. I went for a five course lunch couple of years back. Assumed that course No5 was a glass of house wine (which we ordered).

When the bill came, noticed it was higher than the fixed price and that we had been charged for wine. When questioned, the waitress said the fifth course was.........

The mint imperial placed on top of the bill!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Beggars can't be choosers

You think that's bad. I went for a five course lunch couple of years back. Assumed that course No5 was a glass of house wine (which we ordered).

When the bill came, noticed it was higher than the fixed price and that we had been charged for wine. When questioned, the waitress said the fifth course was.........

The mint imperial placed on top of the bill!

This has to be a joke!!!

If not then its very bad practice. The restaurant I went to was lovely and the food was great. I will also go back again, just wondered if it was normal to call a tea a course! If I was told that a mint was a course then Id never return!

This has to be a joke!!!

If not then its very bad practice. The restaurant I went to was lovely and the food was great. I will also go back again, just wondered if it was normal to call a tea a course! If I was told that a mint was a course then Id never return!

Never returned and it's in an area that we would frequent often. Made sure everyone knew aswell. They have the best location and felt like they were just ripping the piss out of passing trade with the "5 courses for 24.95" scam.

But if you don't get return business, then you may find yourself having to sell up. Which they have been trying to do for a long time.

Always knew tea/coffee was a course a never had an issue with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I can accept tea/coffee as a 'course' in the context of these offers as there is at least a monetary value associated with them and they're a staple of a multi-course meal, regardless of whether or not you agree they constitute an actual course.

But to label an imperial mint as a course is just beyond outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

silverharp wrote: »

I think a place offering a €15 "3 course meal" wouldn't be too concerned with a bad review.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

A few years ago I was in a pub beside a big cattle mart. " 3 courses AND tea & coffee ". The dessert was a slice of Gateaux Raspberry Swiss Roll. Big, thick slice it was too. Went down a treat with strong tea.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Tea isn't a ****ing course; that's insane!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

3 course meals contribute to obesity so I like the way that restaurant is combatting it. If a starter and dinner washed down with a cup of tea isn't enough for you it's time to see your gp.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

What happens if you don't drink tea or coffee

Youre one of those latte or americano yuppies?

Most places count tea/coffee as a course and always did. Hence the usual full spread is usually referred to as a 4 course meal.

I don't think so, any time I've had a four course meal it's been a cheeseboard as the fourth or some other savoureux.

Tea, coffee, brandy and sometimes mints came after, just as an amuse bouche or aperatif comes before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

3 course meals contribute to obesity so I like the way that restaurant is combatting it. If a starter and dinner washed down with a cup of tea isn't enough for you it's time to see your gp.

That's a ridiculous statement. How do you know what people have eaten over the course of a whole week?

You could eat a 4 course meal twice a week and lose weight depending on the rest of your diet and exercise. It would also depend on what you had at said 4 course meal.

Tea - not a course.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Youre one of those latte or americano yuppies?

Was that aimed at me? If so I don't drink tea or coffee or latte's or Americano's or any of that crap :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Oh here's the truth.

Middle class ppl and above know full well tea/coffee would be considered a course on a set menu and poorer working class ppl wouldn't necessarily know.

It's really not meant to be a rip off but the ppl who prepare the menu would be aware that it could be mis-understood by working-class ppl, and could use that to their advantage, but probably don't.

There you go, hope that clears things up.

Go away with you middle and working class rubbish, this isn't 1920.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,316 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I suppose realistically €15 was reasonable value but their marketing of the offer is all wrong.
    They would do better advertising a two course special with complimentary cup of tea or coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Go away with you middle and working class rubbish, this isn't 1920.

What, you don't think their exists a working class - middle class divide anymore? Why, just cause you've got a big TV ?

Not me talking rubbish mate.

Advertisement