Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What sort of diet do you have? Do you eat your veggies?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Apart from homemade chips, what kind of frozen chip do you use in it. Oven or frying?
    I've only ever used homemade ones so couldn't tell you which would be better

Estrellita wrote: »
    Yeah, cake.

I don't understand why you wouldn't like cake. I mean I like it and that means so must you.

*rollseyes*

I eat most foods but my diet could certainly be better. I get stuck on one particular dish for ages and ages. At the minute it's fresh pasta with pesto and smoked salmon. God I love smoked salmon.

I'd quite happily live on a diet of coffee and samitches as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

Lunch is my most important meal, I've been experimenting to find a meal which will not put me to sleep at 3pm. It probably means keeping bread out of this meal but that is not easy when your on the go to find an alternative to a sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My "problem" ( I know; plenty food and nothing really to grouse about) is getting enough in me of what I can first swallow then digest. Old age really is not for cissies, but I manage it! But vegetables unless blitzed to smooth are not really possible. I enjoy my food thankfully.. Cake is a passion.... ;)

• Advertisement

Lunch is my most important meal, I've been experimenting to find a meal which will not put me to sleep at 3pm. It probably means keeping bread out of this meal but that is not easy when your on the go to find an alternative to a sandwich.

Aldi and lidl now have lovely salad pots, and lunch pots in the chill cabinet that might suit you? They look lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

I don't understand why you wouldn't like cake. I mean I like it and that means so must you.
    *rollseyes*

:confused::confused:

:confused::confused:

It was in response to your post regarding vegetables. Lots of adults don't like veg and sure what of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

It was in response to your post regarding vegetables. Lots of adults don't like veg and sure what of it.

It what I thought you meant, I just wanted to be sure of your tone. Surprisingly catty for you Persepoly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I probably have a very bad diet. I eat red meat in the form of steak or minced beef three days a week at least, pork sausages, bacon, eggs, a pork fillet on Sundays. Never chicken. Never fish. Vegetables are on the plate perhaps 3 times a week but I don't enjoy them. Can't do without my spuds. Plenty of chocolates, and biscuits. Fruit is a rarity. But, so far, I'm healthy and at 73 I'm not changing my diet now. I'm a fussy eater and always had difficulty eating on my work trips, or holidays, aboard over the years. I can't abide pasta, tomatoes, cheese, garlic, curry, or rice.

• Advertisement

It what I thought you meant, I just wanted to be sure of your tone. Surprisingly catty for you Persepoly.

So much judging going on around these parts lately. If it's not food it's childcare. It baffles me a bit is all.

I'm sorry I took my annoyance out on you Estrellita. You're right, it's not like me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I probably have a very bad diet. I eat red meat in the form of steak or minced beef three days a week at least, pork sausages, bacon, eggs, a pork fillet on Sundays. Never chicken. Never fish. Vegetables are on the plate perhaps 3 times a week but I don't enjoy them. Can't do without my spuds. Plenty of chocolates, and biscuits. Fruit is a rarity. But, so far, I'm healthy and at 73 I'm not changing my diet now. I'm a fussy eater and always had difficulty eating on my work trips, or holidays, aboard over the years. I can't abide pasta, tomatoes, cheese, garlic, curry, or rice.

Well it hasn't killed you yet, and you'll be dead long enough so eat what you enjoy. You remind me of my dad though, he didn't like veg either but when he got sick I used to try hide veg under his potatoes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Our forebears survived for ever on spuds and milk and nothing else.

This five a day stuff is marketing.

[QUOTE=Spanish Eyes;102529512
    When I was a kid I don't really remember much veg or fruit on the plate apart from peas and carrotts.[/QUOTE]

What do you think potatoes, peas and carrots are?

Five a day was never meant to mean five different types of veg, it was five portions. Our forebears you mentioned ate way more than their five a day by way of potato consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Monday to Friday I just eat 2 meals a day lunch and dinner and try to stay low carb , lots of soups and oven bakes. Try to avoid bread and cereals thankfully don't have a sweet tooth. Cooking gets complicated because my wife is off dairy and red meat and Im avoiding high carb food.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Naos wrote: »
    What do you think potatoes, peas and carrots are?

Five a day was never meant to mean five different types of veg, it was five portions. Our forebears you mentioned ate way more than their five a day by way of potato consumption.

You're not meant to count potatoes among the "five a day" (alas, or I'd be flying!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Well it hasn't killed you yet, and you'll be dead long enough so eat what you enjoy. You remind me of my dad though, he didn't like veg either but when he got sick I used to try hide veg under his potatoes

Id say healthy eating is a bit overrated anyway. I doubt there'd be a huge difference in life expectancy between somebody with a very good diet and somebody with a not so great but reasonably varied diet like the poster you quoted had... things like potatos bread and pasta arent necessarily bad foods for instance yet we think of them as not very healthily, nothing wrong with them..as in there is nothing damaging to your health contained within them. You just sjouldnt eat too many as youll gain weight if you eat too much and don't exercise it off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Good diet. Plenty of fruit. Meat and Veg at dinner. Porridge for breakfast or tea. Fan of Bread and French Bread. I've curtailed drinking tea more of a bottled water person.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I read somewhere that it's ten portions a day now.

So why is the majority of the population still alive ie my parents generation? And the rest of us too.

Spuds and milk, a bit of wholemeal bread, real butter and lovely cheese, and you're grand. LOL.

Would you turn that down for anything else!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,097 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

So why is the majority of the population still alive ie my parents generation? And the rest of us too.

Spuds and milk, a bit of wholemeal bread, real butter and lovely cheese, and you're grand. LOL.

I like you.:D

• Advertisement

Maybe a lot of it is about control? Inducing guilt! A one size fits all approach? I know there is a lot of obesity around so maybe they think that if they leave us to it we will all become obese?

As you say, not true

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I eat most meals at the alcohol rehabilitation centre where I volunteer.
    Yeah, I volunteer at one of those alcohol places, but only my first name. "Hello, my name is Badly..." ;)

I'm trying to eat more vegetables but like to disguise them in a curry or disguise them by cutting them up very small like you would for a kid. (I'll be 44 years of age next week. :eek: )

I also got a juicer/masticator thing before Christmas that can really squeeze the juices out of fruit and vegetables but I've only used it a few times. If it would self-wash, I'd use it more (and washing it isn't even that hard!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

I also got a juicer/masticator thing before Christmas that can really squeeze the juices out of fruit and vegetables but I've only used it a few times. If it would self-wash, I'd use it more (and washing it isn't even that hard!).

You should throw out that juicer and get a blender instead. Fruit juice is just sugar water. You should be eating the whole thing. Eat the whole veggie too.

The only vegatabls I eat often would be brocolli, cauliflower, peas .. sometimes cabbage, green beans, spinach. Spinach is my favourite but because I usually eat frozen vegetables I dont eat it much. And no, can't stand onions!

You should throw out that juicer and get a blender instead. Fruit juice is just sugar water. You should be eating the whole thing. Eat the whole veggie too.

Not from a good juicer. Lovely thick stuff...

Tired of eating. Think I will give it up... ;):rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Because mine is sh1t. I've just ate a load of bakewell tarts for dinner.

Now, admittedly, it's not normally that bad. I cook most days but I hate veg. I really hate veg. I prefer most veg raw to cooked but the problem is that even then it's a lot of effort to eat. So between breakfast/lunch/dinner there's an average of one portion of veg spread throughout the week (not counting quorn).

I like fruit but it's full of sugar. So I really should snack more on veg. Anyone got any healthy hints? Things like store bought dips for veg and other little things they do do sneak in move veg?

Apparently we're supposed to be eating 10 portions of fruit/veg a day. Although you can take a lot of dietary information with a pinch of salt (or not depending on sodium levels) it's generally good advice to eat more veg.

So how bad is your diet and any hints besides just accepting that I'll die of a stroke/heart disease/ chronic constipation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Hmmm I'll have to check back on instagram

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

This is going to be as bad as a "What countries have you visited?" thread.
    So come on, foodies, tell us about your wonderful chia seed and avocado diets?

Advertisement