Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What sort of diet do you have? Do you eat your veggies?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

I eat two eggs for breakfast every morning. Will have them with really good black pudding at the weekend. It's the biggest change I've made to my diet. Never used to eat breakfast. It really does make all the difference to me. Less hungry for the rest of the day. Eggs - amazing yokes.

I've also gone back to making Irish mammy dinners. Meat or fish, two or three veg, a couple of boiled potatoes. Try to keep it in season; so carrot and parsnip, cabbage, sprouts are on the menu these days. Don't spare the butter on the potatoes.

The weight is falling off me, and I'm loving the food.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Seriously.

Has something happened to spinach? It has all but vanished. It's now mixed with baby otherleavesidontwant.

But yes. Today I found it in dunnes. In a tub rather than a bag. And it was only a euro so it's not like there's a spinach shortage and they're selling it for a bajillion squids.

Actually there is a current leaf-green shortage due to the bad weather in southern europe, where most of that stuff grows. Especially bad with lettuce afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

LirW wrote: »
    Actually there is a current leaf-green shortage due to the bad weather in southern europe, where most of that stuff grows. Especially bad with lettuce afaik.

Interesting.
    Thanks for the info :)

Frozen stuff is fine for cooking but I would eat a fair lot of fresh spinach also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

There is. Expect: shítty peppers, no red chillis, a lack of salad bags of decent preprepared lettuce, courgettes.

Bad and all as it is; the Mexicans are really struggling to keep the sudden trend for avocados up in terms of supply. Had a dirty winter themselves. Meanwhile; the farmers of Ireland are protesting because Dunnes are giving away free spuds and carrots with their half-price roast beef offer......

• Registered Users Posts: 15,889 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Ah they are only doing a Brexit penance thing for the UK to show them how a veg free life will be once EU produce is gone! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Our forebears survived for ever on spuds and milk and nothing else.

This five a day stuff is marketing.

Yes I guess they "survived" but they were all 5ft tall maximum. Have you ever seen old Irish houses? Made for hobbits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

. Meat or fish, two or three veg, a couple of boiled potatoes. Try to keep it in season; so carrot and parsnip, cabbage, sprouts are on the menu these days.

Any advantages to "keeping it in season"?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

People are surprisingly healthy on here..
    Thought I had a very decent diet til I came on this thread :pac:

There is. Expect: shítty peppers, no red chillis, a lack of salad bags of decent preprepared lettuce, courgettes.

I did notice the sh*tty peppers and couldn't get a single courgette today. Had one at home still but I'd use them in most meals so I'll have to go find some tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Rezident wrote: »
    That's not entirely accurate - and it's dangerous that this misinformation is getting so many thanks. Do a bit of research on the genetic modification of what used to be wild wheat and the modern frankenstein high-production wheat that we have now instead.

There are a load of wheat sensitivities among many people who are not coeliac. You might even have a mild one and not know about it as you build up a tolerance and might think some of the side-effects are pretty normal, if somewhat unpleasant to discuss.

I didn't know until I went off wheat for a few weeks in support of my wife, then you go back on and, eh, it's not pretty, but you definitely flippin' notice it. And I only have a very mild sensitivity to it, my wife has a catastrophic one, and she is confirmed not coeliac. If you think this is not real, you have been fooled by someone, presumably the wheat industry, with fake news? Wheat obviously F**ks up some people who are not coeliac so why cover it up?[/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone is trying to "cover it up". Many of us, myself included, have listened, tried and it has not alleviated our problems.

That is not "fake news" but a wider range of experience.

Reading round re gluten, it seems that some have pinned all their symptoms on it? I have M.E, and of course researched diet intensely; would have loved to find a simple solution to an alleviation.

Did the full elimination diet.

All kinds of foods are blamed for M.E.

We can be allergic or sensitive to any food, any product. The art is finding what it is in your own case. For me it is what is in aerosols, and most household chemicals. Wheezing starts almost immediately...

But I would never say all chemicals are bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I struggle pretty bad with my thyroid and last year it threw me into myxodema stage. Both GP and all 3 hospitals I had to attend tested me for coeliac disease. My GP seems pretty confident that one of these days, it will show up. I am getting a camera down shortly and that will give a more accurate description.
    I've noticed when I give up gluten I feel great, and as soon as I go back on it, it destroys me for the initial few days. I did a few weeks off it after I got sick, cheated and had pizza and had symptoms very similar to the winter vomitting bug before I had even finished. My tummy was in a knot.

My diet is pretty atrocious. I love carbs, skip breakfast and eat sweets as my main meal. Though when I'm prepared and make the effort I'm quite good with balanced meals, like veg and most fruit. Love preparing things from scratch. Not a fan of packets and jars. If I'm going to do something it's all or nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I never count vegetables, I never plan for balanced diet but most days I would get some with meals. I absolutely love fruit and possibly eat too much of it. I probably get five a day just eating fruit. I also like carbs (including white), meat, butter, love, fish, cheese, chocolate. I really couldn't be bothered counting calories or overly watching what I eat. I have no major health or weight issues so I have no intention changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Tesco have frozen Brussels sprouts. €1 for a 1kg bag. Throw em in the microwave bin. They're delish inedible.

That's better. Jaysus, I hate sprouts.:D

I'm a generally healthy bunny. My diet is fine, not much fried food, lots of veggies, fruit, nuts, seeds, tea and kefir ( only got into this about a year ago, i highly recommend it)
    I'm practically never sick, probably been to the doc maybe 5 times in the past 25 years and even at that it was mostly for injuries rather than sickness.
    Where I fall down is too much sugar, caffeine and alcohol, but sure we all have to die of something I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

9 months pregnant, what is this healthy diet you're talking about?

I'm living off Gaviscon and handful-portions of whatever comes in my way because I can't fit more into my morbidly squeezed stomach.

It's actually a very good source of calcium!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I love pizza salad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Think my diet is fairly ok... although there's always room for improvement - think I should prioritise eating fruit & veg more...

Breakfast: Eat porridge or low GI bread/ multi-seed bread toasted with peanut butter
    Lunch: eggs (boiled, fried or scrambled); cheese on toast; 'hummus, cheese, and grapes on multi-seed crackers'; beans on aforementioned multi-seed bread; clonakilty black pudding
    Dinner: fish (either cod, hake, smoked haddock or salmon) or pork steak or chicken or turkey or fillet steak with mashed potato and vegetables (mainly peas and broccoli); or chicken enchiladas; chicken or fish-cake with green salad & cous cous; shepherds pie; fresh pasta w/carbonara sauce; bacon, mash and cabbage; quiche; chicken curry and rice. I have airfryer chips or pizza on the lazy days... hoping to make my own pizza soon - bought a pizza stone in anticipation :pac:

Snacks - handful of unsalted walnuts, Brazil nuts or yoghurt peanuts; eat-natural bars; fudge; jelly beans; natural Conf company sweets, plain biscuits, apples, bananas, cake, buns.... etc. I gave up chocolate a year ago as I was an actual fiend for the stuff (used to consume it daily).... now I don't miss it at all. Will probably go back on it at some stage in the future, but only the good stuff (*ahem - green & blacks).

Drinks: tea several times a day, whole fat milk, orange juice, the odd glass of white wine, water (at least a litre daily) and plain kefir (just got into this lately, and really like it). Don't drink fizzy drinks anymore....

Get the odd Chinese now and then...although haven't had one in about 2 months. Don't like Mac Donald's, Burger King, etc, but quite partial to a supermacs :D

They had bags of baby spinach in Lidl today! 69cent a bag :)

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

I've never understood adults that dodge fruit or veg. I've always regarded these types as a man-child (or woman-child).

I'll take any dinner recipe and pack in as much veg as I can. I also can't fathom some people's aversions to broccoli or sprouts. Done correctly, they are the bomb.

Estrellita wrote: »
    I've never understood adults that dodge fruit or veg. I've always regarded these types as a man-child (or woman-child).

I'll take any dinner receipt and pack in as much veg as I can. I also can't fathom some people's aversions to broccoli or sprouts. Done correctly, they are the bomb.

Is there no food at all that you don't like?

Is there no food at all that you don't like?

Yeah, cake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

That's fine, there is something wrong with gluten for you and there are other diseases which require the exclusion of gluten also. Nobody has an issue with that.

For anyone who does not have issues with gluten it is not necessarily unhealthy.

I cut out wheat for a month and honestly I felt no different to how I normally feel.

Now, the argument is certainly there that foods containing gluten are often unhealthy foods - cakes/biscuits/white bread etc. But when it comes to things like "gluten free porridge" then it's a step too far for folk who are do not need to exclude gluten but do so simply because they feel it's unhealthy.

(Porridge doesn't contain gluten but is often processed in factories where cross contamination is a factor and therefore those with extreme sensitivities or allergies should avoid the regular type).

Anecdote time: I know someone with crones who cannot eat most green veg as they will make him very very sick. That doesn't mean green veg are unhealthy for everyone.

Exactly. It is like one of those scams that has hit the world, much like detox. You could probably rob these wans cars with a slice of bread :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Only if you like them. Horrid things.

Do you mean broccoli or sprouts, or just veg in general?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Fairly good all considered.

All main meals homemade. Have vegetables and fruit every day. Usually have homemade bread, overnight oats or smoothie for breakfast.

Usually relax one (weekend) day a week. Have a few beers, rasher sambo or similar for breakfast and some snacks. Probably have Indian or Chinese takeaway about 1-2 a month max.

Run 4-5 days a week, usually between 25-35km.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

What you want to do with broccoli is boil it for about five minutes then throw it on the pan with some oyster sauce for a couple of minutes.

Irish children and adults don't like vegetables because for the most part they are boiled to death in plain water and served utterly tasteless.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,087 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

What do these air fryer chips taste like?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Grandeeod wrote: »

Never heard of them. Chips are made in a pan of boiling oil ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Really good!! Just as tasty as normal chips. You can also make really nice food (e.g. Curry) in it too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,087 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Really good!! Just as tasty as normal chips. You can also make really nice food (e.g. Curry) in it too

Apart from homemade chips, what kind of frozen chip do you use in it. Oven or frying?

Advertisement