Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asking a girl out

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Also, don't forget to let us know how you get on if you do message her !

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    You make it sound creepy, it's a 2 second search of someones name. Everyone is on FB these days, if you want to find someone, go there.

I was going to suggest a FB message before adding her but I know that it doesn't deliver to their inbox unless you're friends.

Add her, if she accepts then ask her out on a date.

FB now sends you a message asking you to accept the message if you are not already friends :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭SteM

Stakeout her office to try and meet her, I think she works for Sagman, Bennett, Robbins, Oppenheim and Taft.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

jonnycivic wrote: »
    FB now sends you a message asking you to accept the message if you are not already friends :)

Yeah, you get a "message request" on Messenger now. Not sure about the webpage. It's still a bit odd. I don't think I got a notification about them, they just popped up on screen.

Just add her. You knew her years ago, you've got mutual friends and you were talking recently. I don't get what the problem with adding her on facebook is.

And definitely don't get her phone number from friends to call her. That's creepy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Peregrine wrote: »
    Yeah, you get a "message request" on Messenger now. Not sure about the webpage. It's still a bit odd. I don't think I got a notification about them, they just popped up on screen.

Just add her. You knew her years ago, you've got mutual friends and you were talking recently. I don't get what the problem with adding her on facebook is.

Yeah, I got a notification on the main site and also thru the app too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Yup, just add her. If she ignores your friend request then so be it.
    If she accepts then PM her and see how it goes from there.

Good luck Op. Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Candie wrote: »
    Wot he sez.

Also, say nuthin' about facebook and don't add her first.

And mind your punctuation in the message, little things can put people off at first.

So no dick pic OP..... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Even by adding her on FB days after meeting is pretty much saying you're interested OP, do it, ask her, what's the worst that can happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Bear in mind that if you are not friends on fb the message may not be seen. I'd add her first, if she is interested in you she won't mind

He'll have to find her Facebook page first, he's surely a troll bored after Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

jamesbere wrote: »
    Dear member of the opposite sex

I'm a male of breeding age looking for companionship.

Have you road frontage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

The only obvious option is to hire a PI to follow her for a few weeks until you can identify regular occurrences in her schedule, e.g., she may eat at the same place for lunch every Tuesday. Once identified you can be there to "bump into her" and tell her how much you love the smell of her hair after she showers and that the Pantene Pro-V is doing wonders for her natural shine. This is how normal, 21st Century people go about these things and she in turn will appreciate the effort you have made to get to know her routine - good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I can't believe people suggested sending a message on Facebook was creepy and in the same sentence advised him to get her number from her friends and just cold-call her? That's infinitely more awkward.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

1. Become a mysterious billionaire con man.

2. Throw lavish houseparties during the Long Island summer season.

3. Invite everyone she knows and extend an open invitation to them.

4. Get surly each time she doesnt come so befriend her cousin.

5. Eventually she comes to the party.

6. [Details are sketchy]

7. Happy ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

So it's not creepy to get a persons number from someone and ring them up out of the blue? Jaysus.

no it's not , it's a very reasonable thing.

got your number from x (added to the message) sorts that out

I'm interested to know why it would be creepy to ask soembody for somebody elses number?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

dar100 wrote: »
    How is she much older than you now!! Was she not much older last time you seen her

She hasn't aged well ?

6. [Details are sketchy]

7. Happy ending.

Is that not most of Donald Trump's bio ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭circadian

Ask her if she likes to watch Netflix and chill. It's all the rage these days I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭tigger123

6. [Details are sketchy]

7. Happy ending.

Not sure if there would be much of a happy ending there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

arayess wrote: »
    I'm interested to know why it would be creepy to ask somebody for somebody elses number?

OK then, can I have your sister's phone number please?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Get her name tattoed on your neck, send pic to her.

If that doesn't work , get into her bathroom and wait in her shower overnight.

She'll be pleasantly surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Too long winded.

"Hey x, great seeing you again the other night. Do you fancy going for drinks sometime?

Cheers,
    Johnny "

Go with this,exactly this!
    Be casual, you're risking coming across intimidatingly intense right now, no one wants an interview for the position of your future wife. Girls are well used to men coming on too strong and generally it's unsettling, even if you like them. See how she responds to the above and then if she agrees see where she's at with it all before you start revealing you're seriously invested in the idea of you two. If she says no to this she really wouldn't have said yes to a more forward approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭carrieb

As a girl I'd say definitely don't put in the bit about deactivating the account etc. It does sound a bit creepy!
    You don't need to explain the state of your account to anyone! I barely use FB except for private messages and groups so my page is very empty, none of anybody's business! Many people are the same.
    I'd be very short and sweet.
    "It was great to see you the other night. Just wondering if you'd like to go out for a drink sometime?" Don't say much more then that. I'd cut straight to the chase. At least she can say yes or no straight away without dragging it into a long chat and you not knowing if she's being polite or is actually interested. Go for it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭carrieb

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

That might put a mutual friend in an awkward position though. I always hated if someone asked me for someone else's number. You'd have to check with the person and then it becomes a big thing. I never really like a friend asking me "is it ok if I give X your number" either... FB message is far more simple and easily forgotten/brushed over. A phone call could be very awkward too!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 wherearemykeys

carrieb wrote: »
    As a girl I'd say definitely don't put in the bit about deactivating the account etc. It does sound a bit creepy!
    You don't need to explain the state of your account to anyone! I barely use FB except for private messages and groups so my page is very empty, none of anybody's business! Many people are the same.
    I'd be very short and sweet.
    "It was great to see you the other night. Just wondering if you'd like to go out for a drink sometime?" Don't say much more then that. I'd cut straight to the chase. At least she can say yes or no straight away without dragging it into a long chat and you not knowing if she's being polite or is actually interested. Go for it. :)

This - agree. Straight to the point.
    I have all the privacy settings on my Facebook page so my page always looks blank if you're not a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Also tell her you think she might be your one true love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    You make it sound creepy, it's a 2 second search of someones name. Everyone is on FB these days, if you want to find someone, go there.

I was going to suggest a FB message before adding her but I know that it doesn't deliver to their inbox unless you're friends.

Add her, if she accepts then ask her out on a date.
    Oh I don't think it's remotely creepy - and by jiminy would I have an auld stalk myself! But you know the way some people can be funny about what they perceive as stalking.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

This thread reminds me of Ciara and our Bryan.
    I wonder whether they're still together?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

This thread reminds me of Ciara and our Bryan.
    I wonder whether they're still together?

Fake friends thread was fake

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Tell her that you want to fit inside her like a warm kitten

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8wrJZa4ICg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

OK then, can I have your sister's phone number please?

, I don't know you .
    He has friends in common is it's not a complete random ask and your request isn't the same thing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

arayess wrote: »
    , I don't know you .
    He has friends in common is it's not a complete random ask and your request isn't the same thing

He's a fictional Belgian detective. Smooth accent; small, tidy moustache. Your sister could do worse.

Advertisement