Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Lingering Savagery of 1798

• 01-03-2017 12:06am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

I know this is not a history forum, but I think it is an interesting subject which does not get enough attention. An anyway, I am venting here more than trying to look clever.

When I was a kid in school we did a musical play about the 1798 United Irishmen uprising and it was all very romantic and patriotic. Later I read that it was "a different kind of Irish revolution" in that Catholics and Protestants fought side by side in the spirit of the Enlightenment.

In recent times I have looked at the event in microcosm and what stuck me was the absolute savagery of the 1798 Rising. Far from the romantic ecumenical romance of the event, the sectarian atrocities committed by both sides is almost impossible to fathom. It was Ireland's 'Balkan War' in terms of this. Entire regions would be effectively sterilized of Catholics or Protestants depending on who was winning at the time.

The brutality and lack of human rights for prisoners is another factor. At the Battle of Tara so many were killed that numbers are unknown. It might have been as high at 10,000 on a small patch of land around the churchyard. All captured rebels were disemboweled and left to die in agony overnight with their entrails strewn across the hill before all being dumped in a mass grave beside the Lia Fail.

Even today on a social and psychological level communities have not healed. In parts of south Sligo there is an unspoken sectarianism to this day which is a results of atrocities on both sides. But most of all in parts of rural Wexford there are deeply insular communities which are like something out of the middle ages and deeply distrusting of outsiders. All because of the 'romance' of 1798. They are still ****ed up by it.

Reading about this time reminded me of what a ****ty history (at times) we have in this country and how the scars of war are neither smothered in a romantic backstory, or healed by the passing in centuries.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    there is an unspoken sectarianism to this day which is a results of atrocities on both sides. But most of all in parts of rural Wexford there are deeply insular communities which are like something out of the middle ages and deeply distrusting of outsiders. All because of the 'romance' of 1798. They are still ****ed up by it.
    How dare you insult my intelligence with such utterly unsubstantiated twaddle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

How dare you insult my intelligence with such utterly unsubstantiated twaddle.

You're not well are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,654 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I was there at the time and it didn't seem too bad in all honesty.

The brutality and lack of human rights for prisoners is another factor. At the Battle of Tara so many were killed that numbers are unknown. It might have been as high at 10,000 on a small patch of land around the churchyard. All captured rebels were disemboweled and left to die in agony overnight with their entrails strewn across the hill before all being dumped in a mass grave beside the Lia Fail.

...But most of all in parts of rural Wexford there are deeply insular communities which are like something out of the middle ages and deeply distrusting of outsiders. All because of the 'romance' of 1798. They are still ****ed up by it.

No denying 1798 was savage, barns filled with people and burned, babies pitchforked etc., and the numbers that died in Wexford were enormous.

But have to question the figure of 10k dying in any one battle. I can't imagine there'd have been anything like that even on the field of battle, outside Wexford.

And the whole "Wexforders hate outsiders to this day" conclusion. Hmmmm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

Intresting ok OP, just on the Sligo Wexford would you have any links or evidence that this is the case today ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,675 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

War is brutal so I don't see how the OP is surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Those Wexford lads would want to start getting over the Kilkenny lads pissing in the powder, and just move on.
    Worse things happen at sea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

Those Wexford lads would want to start getting over the Kilkenny lads pissing in the powder, and just move on.
    quote]

NEVER!!!! If there was a shower worse than them yeomen 'twas them traitors

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

A simple auld salad is all they were eating.
    Sitting in the middle of a field.
    Eating a salad.
    Maybe a bottle of red lemonade.
    Some tomatoes. Bit of lettuce.
    A bit of ham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

Ted111 wrote: »
    Eating a salad.
    A bit of ham.

Basterds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Heard this screamed during a tipp v wexford game in the stand (families, kids etc...) as a young lad. "Only 2 kinds of people in Wexford. Strawberries and K#$%^&*# and I don't see no ****ing strawberries". Tipp was winning too so it seemed a little unnecessary.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I know this is not a history forum, but I think it is an interesting subject which does not get enough attention. An anyway, I am venting here more than trying to look clever.

When I was a kid in school we did a musical play about the 1798 United Irishmen uprising and it was all very romantic and patriotic. Later I read that it was "a different kind of Irish revolution" in that Catholics and Protestants fought side by side in the spirit of the Enlightenment.

In recent times I have looked at the event in microcosm and what stuck me was the absolute savagery of the 1798 Rising. Far from the romantic ecumenical romance of the event, the sectarian atrocities committed by both sides is almost impossible to fathom. It was Ireland's 'Balkan War' in terms of this. Entire regions would be effectively sterilized of Catholics or Protestants depending on who was winning at the time.

Even today on a social and psychological level communities have not healed. In parts of south Sligo there is an unspoken sectarianism to this day which is a results of atrocities on both sides. But most of all in parts of rural Wexford there are deeply insular communities which are like something out of the middle ages and deeply distrusting of outsiders. All because of the 'romance' of 1798. They are still ****ed up by it.

Reading about this time reminded me of what a ****ty history (at times) we have in this country and how the scars of war are neither smothered in a romantic backstory, or healed by the passing in centuries.

You can see how Davey Fitzgerald fits right in there in Wexford!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Rule number 1: don't attack cannon lines if all you're holding is a pitchfork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

So where is the savagery lingering from 219 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

Worse things happen at sea.

Till the day she died, my gran wouldn't go to Kilkenny as it was a "Tan" town/city.

She died in the late 80's though, so more than 20 years ago, but I do still hear it now and again.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Ah here now, you're telling us they're still fcuked up by stuff that happened 220 years ago??? Way before anyone they've ever known was even born? Time to move on I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Ted111 wrote: »
    Eating a salad.
    A bit of ham.

bang bang!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

murpho999 wrote: »
    So where is the savagery lingering from 219 years ago?

Courtown on a long weekend :-):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I remember when war was all tickling and chasing.
    Or was that love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It wasn't half as bad as the lingerie incident describe in "A Christmassy Ted"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

bang bang!

Put him up agin a wall in the middle of a field
    One shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

Put him up agin a wall in the middle of a field
    One shot

What they didn't do to that family.

Basterds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭RicePat

No denying 1798 was savage, barns filled with people and burned, babies pitchforked etc., and the numbers that died in Wexford were enormous.

But have to question the figure of 10k dying in any one battle. I can't imagine there'd have been anything like that even on the field of battle, outside Wexford.

Reading about the whole pitchcapping thing always stuck with me. Serious nasty business

Your Face wrote: »
    Or was that love.

There's plenty would have you believe that's what the War of Independence was like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,519 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Mini850 wrote: »
    Till the day she died, my gran wouldn't go to Kilkenny as it was a "Tan" town/city.

She died in the late 80's though, so more than 20 years ago, but I do still hear it now and again.........

TBF that was a generation that believed concrete statues moved if you prayed really, really hard enough.
    Think most folks now have gotten over themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Been down there as an outsider from Limerick.

Beautiful countryside. Beautiful people. Had the craic with all - quare surnames and normal surnames alike :pac: Never treated with anything but respect.

By God but ye have an awful amount of quare surnames down there to this day.

The clue to understanding the OP's issue is simply that the 1798 rebellion was a war. I don't know of any pretty wars in reality. All of them have some atrocities alongside some heroism. And all wars have some perceivable lasting effects through the ages to some extent.

Nothing to see here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

topper75 wrote: »
    I don't know of any pretty wars in reality.

The war of the roses? That one sound as nice .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Its a good weekend in Enniscorthy with the reenactments on Vinegar Hill and on the streets for anyone has hasnt done it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

Even today on a social and psychological level communities have not healed. In parts of south Sligo there is an unspoken sectarianism to this day which is a results of atrocities on both sides. .
    Total rubbish there is nothing like that in south Sligo but feel free to back up your claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

Name them and tell us more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

I would expect idiots from the Irish American community to make this fatal mistake

The war was about people: Whether Catholic, Protestant or Dissenter forming an allegiance seeking complete Independence from Britain. Yes, they were mostly Catholic, but core leaders were Protestants

The other side swore allegiance to Britain; They appeared to be mostly Irish Protestant but it was not exclusive.

Obviously there was sectarianism, but, it was not a religious war

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Lingerie ??

Misread the title, :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,675 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I think Wolfe Tone and Robert Emmet don't seem to get the same recognition as others who fought to get the Brits out of our country.

I think Wolfe Tone and Robert Emmet don't seem to get the same recognition as others who fought to get the Brits out of our country.

Not sure about that. People still talk about Emmet's speech in the dock and Fianna Fáil do an annual graveside ceremony for Wolfie

Besides, Wolfie has a band named after him.

Perhaps it is because they are Prods? Not sure , when the Catholic Church blatantly sided with the Republican story, they wanted those two as it's head?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Your Face wrote: »
    Or was that love.

no, love is a battlefield

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭conorhal

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Ah here now, you're telling us they're still fcuked up by stuff that happened 220 years ago??? Way before anyone they've ever known was even born? Time to move on I think.

Well just as we raised generations who were brought up to think in only purely nationalistic terms we are now raising generations with the groupthink that all nationalism is fascism and evil. Neither encourage much in the way of ballanced critical thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Its a good weekend in Enniscorthy with the reenactments on Vinegar Hill and on the streets for anyone has hasnt done it

Sproggs: "What are we doing for the weekend Daddy?"

Daddy: "Piking prods!!"

Sproggs: "Yaaay!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

We've dozens of streets, squares, statues etc. dedicated to them. I know of several GAA clubs dedicated to them aswell. They're fairly firmly established in the list of nationalist heroes.

What more recognition is needed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

The war of the roses? That one sound as nice .

However 'roses' sounds, that war actually lasted for decades believe it or not, and one of the battles, Towton, was the bloodiest ever seen on the island of Britain at the time: 28,000 dead bodies on the field afterwards - a huge number for Britain's then population.
    The battle actually went on for several hours. Prisoners taken were executed after. It was said that the nearby rivers "ran red with blood".
    All just to see who would be the king. I might have issues with Michael D Higgins, but it would never come to that.:D

RicePat wrote: »
    Reading about the whole pitchcapping thing always stuck with me. Serious nasty business

Pitchcapping was horrific. It happened to Anthony Perry (a Protestant) who led the victory at the Battle of Tuberneering.

The 1798 Rebellion and the campaign in Wexford was remarkable in scale and savagery. Often forgotten as for years the history syllabus at second level effectively started with the Famine. It dwarfed all subsequent uprisings, including 1916 and the War of Independence, for size and brutality. I know we can get a bit flippant, but it can be pretty moving to visit the scenes of the battles and think of the thousands who died. Some events, like the massacre at Scullabogue, are hard to even take in. And of course some fellow came along in the 90s and flattened the remains of the barn where they were burned...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scullabogue_Barn_massacre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Reminds me of taking my mother to the 1798 interpretative centre in Enniscorty, she was from a generation of people who were ingrained with the idea that it was a sort of simple goodies v baddies( Irish good, English/protestant bad ) Totally believed that the ballad Boolavogue was historically correct, anyway half way round she wanted to leave because he ideas were being challenged.

mariaalice wrote: »
    Reminds me of taking my mother to the 1798 interpretative centre in Enniscorty, she was from a generation of people who were ingrained with the idea that it was a sort of simple goodies v baddies( Irish good, English/protestant bad ) Totally believed that the ballad Boolavogue was historically correct, anyway half way round she wanted to leave because he ideas were being challenged.

That's why I've always though propaganda is such a short sighted act. It's the lie that often gets you more than the act. For a good example of this you should compare and contrast the Orange Order's version of the "Battle of the Diamond" on their website with pretty much any reputable historical account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

We've dozens of streets, squares, statues etc. dedicated to them. I know of several GAA clubs dedicated to them aswell. They're fairly firmly established in the list of nationalist heroes.

What more recognition is needed?

The UVF blew up the Wolfe Tone statue in St.Stephens Green.

The UVF blew up the Wolfe Tone statue in St.Stephens Green.

The bronze one next to the famine monument? Or was there a previous statue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

The bronze one next to the famine monument? Or was there a previous statue?

This one.

https://comeheretome.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/wolfe-tone-statue.jpeg

They also bombed the Daniel O'Connell monument in O'Connell street around the same time, little damage was done tho.

Bambi wrote: »
    Sproggs: "What are we doing for the weekend Daddy?"

Daddy: "Piking prods!!"

Sproggs: "Yaaay!!"

On the orders of Prods!

Plenty of Catholics fought for the Brits! You hardly believe that their numbers came from Mainland Britain? Good grief!

This one.

https://comeheretome.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/wolfe-tone-statue.jpeg

They also bombed the Daniel O'Connell monument in O'Connell street around the same time, little damage was done tho.

Didn't know that....

Though it kinda proves my point. If the UVF are bombing statues of someone, he must be important to nationalists!

Advertisement