Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leapcard not taking Non-Irish Bank accounts for Auto Top Up Feature by Direct Debit

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Ladies and Gentlemen, it looks like they have managed to get this sorted.

All references to Irish only have been removed and replaced by SEPA compliant bank account.

Sign up seams to work for SEPA accounts, at least it behaved for me like it did. So I'm now waiting for the code on my bank account to confirm the setup.

Anybody else who wants to try and let us know?

I've signed up with my N26 account earlier today, just waiting for the confirmation deposits.

Thanks for continually following up with them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Did you get your deposits yet?

Did you get your deposits yet?

Not yet

So, the lodgment appeared in my N26 account. There should be a code e.g. LEAP-1111-22222222 but its not displayed.

Why can't they implement it like every other company does?

It might not be NTA's problem there, it might be down to N26 not showing you the transaction details as they should, it's known to happen.

I understand why NTA is doing the verification via a deposit rather than requesting a written direct debit from (to which they are entitled as per SEPA rules for non irish accounts). The trial deposit validates the account as real and is a fraud protection for both them and the account owner.

I'm still waiting for my deposit to happen, let's see if it works for me.

• Advertisement

I asked N26 and they said there are no other references associated with the payment. It just seems like an error prone implementation. They should do two different amount lodgments and ask what the amounts are.

I'm still waiting for my deposit, nothing on the account so far.

Anybody else got the deposit and the code?

My deposit arrived this morning and the code was clearly visible as "kundenrefrenz".

Entered it on the leap card website and now all I need to do is activate it by using the card.

So I assume it's N26 that does not display the customer reference.

I'll update once they take the first payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I asked N26 and they said there are no other references associated with the payment. It just seems like an error prone implementation. They should do two different amount lodgments and ask what the amounts are.

In the end have you been able to sign-up with N26?

Jason reported on his blog that he did succeed by calling the NTA and getting the amounts validated that way, another sign that they have implemented this in the wrong way.

Source: https://www.weresuckingdiesel.com/leap-card-now-accepts-non-irish-ibans-for-auto-top-up/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Jason reported on his blog that he did succeed by calling the NTA and getting the amounts validated that way, another sign that they have implemented this in the wrong way.

Source: https://www.weresuckingdiesel.com/leap-card-now-accepts-non-irish-ibans-for-auto-top-up/

Thanks, looks like I will have to call them :-s (but as he said on his blog, if they just give the number on the phone it defeats the purpose!)

I just checked my N26 account and I do see the comments for incoming SEPA transfers from my French bank, but not for the salary payments from my employer. I suspect there are several comment fields on a SEPA transaction and N26 is ignoring some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Tow

Bob24 wrote: »
    I suspect there are several comment fields on SEPA transaction and N26 is ignoring some of them.

There are dozens of extra fields available on a SEPA Transaction. (Names, address, phone numbers, etc etc.) This is AIBs direct debit specification, which shows the available fields: https://mortgage.aib.ie/content/dam/aib/business/docs/products/payments/bulk-payments.pdf

A large part of the problem is banks still use their own 'legacy' field names, which are meaningless and change from institution to institution and country to country. A field called 'Reference', 'Description' or 'Users Narrative' etc mean nothing in the (ISO 20022) SEPA world.

For example in Ireland the banks have agreed to print the following on traditional bank statements:

'End To End ID' for Credits - Max length 35
    'Creditor Name' for Debits - Max length 70
    UB have decided print the 'Unstructured Remittance Information', if present instead - Max length 140.

To make it more interesting their 'legacy' systems (bodged to handle SEPA) have traditional maximum fields lengths of 18 characters, so the rest are often clopping off.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Advertisement