Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How did they get away with that?

• 18-09-2015 5:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭

This isn't a thread about light sentences being handed down in courts. I was listening to the radio while getting a hair chop and Frankie goes to Hollywood's song Relax came on. The lyrics are "relax don't do it before you want to cum". A bit explicit for the time really.

Also watching re runs of Are You Being Served and I noticed how much they got away with for the time. Miss Slocum had a pet cat which she called her "pussy". She had such lines as "I'm sorry I'm late it was raining and I had to thaw my pussy out this morning".

Any others spring to mind?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

steddyeddy wrote: »
    This isn't a thread about light sentences being handed down in courts. I was listening to the radio while getting a hair chop and Frankie goes to Hollywood's song Relax came on. The lyrics are "relax don't do it before you want to cum". A bit explicit for the time really.

Also watching re runs of Are You Being Served and I noticed how much they got away with for the time. Miss Slocum had a pet cat which she called her "pussy". She had such lines as "I'm sorry I'm late it was raining and I had to thaw my pussy out this morning".

The black and white minstrel show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Valetta wrote: »
    The black and white minstrel show.

Yea very true but I can understand how they got away with it at the time. The time wasn't as enlightened as now. Gollywogs in Noddy where another one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Channel 4 have had a series on recently called 'It Was Acceptable In The...'

80s was on the other day, some of the debates on TV, and references to black people were pretty shocking, with them present in both, was pretty shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,824 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Theresa Lowe presenting 'where in the world'.
    Shure Ireland wasn't ready for that level of sexiness.

And it still isn't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

I was listening to the radio while getting a hair chop and Frankie goes to Hollywood's song Relax came on. The lyrics are "relax don't do it before you want to cum". A bit explicit for the time really.
    They didn't get away with it. It was banned on BBC Radio 1.

Not that explicit either - it would have gone over children's heads. They would have just assumed it was about relaxing and taking it easy, not stressing. "When you want to come" - I guess, when you want to arrive? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I think back in 1984 most younger people understood what the lyrics to that song meant, perhaps not the nuances of what you needed to 'relax' in order to 'come'...and their parents (and censors) didnt. It was banned on some stations of course which helped its popularity.
    Prince had some mad dirty songs out in that time too....but no one older than 25 was listening to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Blazing saddles! The entire movies gag reel.

Wasn't it banned by BBC?

Morcambe and Wise sharing a bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭pavb2

Don't think anything will top Love thy Neighbour for the racism starred Rudolph walker from east Enders.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Thy_Neighbour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

pavb2 wrote: »
    Don't think anything will top Love thy Neighbour for the racism starred Rudolph walker from east Enders.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Thy_Neighbour

No No No. If you want racism, try Alf Garnett. In Sickness and in health. Pure gold - but racist as hell. Calling a black man MARIGOLD!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Captain Pugwash had character's called Seaman Staines and Roger the Cabin Boy. Master Mates sounds a bit dodgy as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Captain Pugwash had character's called Seaman Staines and Roger the Cabin Boy. Master Mates sounds a bit dodgy as well.

How in the name of Greek buggery did they get away with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Innuendo - that's why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Fawlty Towers had loads of them, the thick Irish builder. The Major using the n word a few times as well. :)

efb wrote: »
    Innuendo - that's why

Whose end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/pugwash.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,918 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The old kia-ora ad would not get the go ahead today i'd say! Just about every black stereotype is represented in 42 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,619 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

We use to watch Benny Hill with our parents and fall about laughing at the end of the show with the speeded up bit of him chasing women through the bushes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Are you confusing the 80's with Iran, perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

They didn't:
    Libel case regarding double entendres

There is a persistent urban legend, repeated by the now defunct UK newspaper the Sunday Correspondent, that ascribes sexually suggestive names – such as Master Bates, Seaman Staines, and Roger (meaning "have sex with") the Cabin Boy – to Captain Pugwash's characters, and indicating that the captain's name was a slang Australian term for oral sex.[2] John Ryan successfully sued both the Sunday Correspondent and The Guardian newspapers in 1991 for printing this legend as fact.[3] The origin of this myth is likely due to student rag mags from the 1970s.[4]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Ruu wrote: »
    Fawlty Towers had loads of them, the thick Irish builder. The Major using the n word a few times as well. :)

But that's what is taboo now, not back in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

No mention of Rainbow yet?

A classic
    https://youtu.be/CgbcQIT7BMc

Can't embed on mobile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Weren't they actively trying to be provocative in both these examples?

Not that explicit either - it would have gone over children's heads. They would have just assumed it was about relaxing and taking it easy, not stressing. "When you want to come" - I guess, when you want to arrive? :pac:

There's nothing like a banning to guarantee the success of a tune. :)

In the US there was a brand of condoms called Jiffy - I think it was the 80's when they came on the market (heehee). The slogan was "Real Men Come In A Jiffy".

I think the US would implode if that was an advert currently in print!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Well we used to have golly bar ice creams over here.
    The N word was a common name for a dog of a certain colour.

You cant ask for a "sambo" in a shop anymore without getting strange looks.

Pffft...political correctness gone mad I tell you!!!!

Bring bag the ham sambo!!!

Hellrazer wrote: »

Bring bag the ham sambo!!!

Bar man.... I demand a Ham Sambo with a healthy dollop of english and a Black and Tan this instant!

PARlance wrote: »
    No mention of Rainbow yet?

A classic
    https://youtu.be/CgbcQIT7BMc

Can't embed on mobile.

That is fake though, as in, never aired I take it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

That is fake though, as in, never aired I take it?

News to me, was under the assumption that it was aired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Chat shows with presenter and guests chain-smoking throughout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Eanie meanie minie mo.......

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Chat shows with presenter and guests chain-smoking throughout.

Football managers smoking in the dug out during a game, they were plentiful!
    Cant think the name of the goalie who sparked up during a game though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Sabrina's hit song from 1987

'Boys, Boys, Boys'

Her nipples were cleary exposed on half a dozen occasions.

I wasn't complaining.... but how did that escape the censor.

Grange Hill in the early 1980s was full of casual racism

PARlance wrote: »
    News to me, was under the assumption that it was aired.

That most certainly is fake and never aired. It's a p!ss take. Some of the comments say it was an in-house staff joke production.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,203 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Err... well, it's only 30 years later like :o

This one I didn't get for a long time either, didn't know why my sister singing it vexated my parents so much -

This one I got though -

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

In the 80s I had two LPs that even today would be controversial, to say the least. One was WASP's. F**k Like A Beast of which the 12" picture disc had a doberman attempting to rape some scantily clad women. Mate of mine had the same picture disk and had it confiscated by the head and was told he would only get it back if he could produce a letter from his parents saying they approved of him having it. The second was Scorpions' Virgin Killer on which the front cover of the album had a naked little girl of around eight, only thing protecting her modesty a broken glass effect around her genitalia. Remember selling both to Freebird for two quid or so each in the 90s (along with a bunch of other LPs that I got feck all for) just so I could successfully back Mininehoma in the national.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

The time wasn't as enlightened as now

Either that, or people had better things to do with their days than be perpetually offended by everything like nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭pavb2

In the 80s I had two LPs that even today would be controversial, to say the least. One was WASP's. F**k Like A Beast of which the 12" picture disc had a doberman attempting to rape some scantily clad women. Mate of mine had the same picture disk and had it confiscated by the head and was told he would only get it back if he could produce a letter from his parents saying they approved of him having it. The second was Scorpions' Virgin Killer on which the front cover of the album had a naked little girl of around eight, only thing protecting her modesty a broken glass effect around her genitalia. Remember selling both to Freebird for two quid or so each in the 90s (along with a bunch of other LPs that I got feck all for) just so I could successfully back Mininehoma in the national.

Reminds me of a guy at school just as punk hit the streets, his parents were very middle class, conservative and he knew they wouldn't approve of Him purchasing it so he bought the album Never Mind the B*****ks by the Sex Pistols and mailed it to himself saying he'd won it in a radio phone in competition.

Their single God save the queen was banned not sure how many others were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Yeppers

Look at some of Lilly Allens lyrics

Sittin in the wet patch, spent ages giving head.

Bit embarrassing if you start singing them on your own too :o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Yeppers

Look at some of Lilly Allens lyrics

Sittin in the wet patch, spent ages giving head.

Bit embarrassing if you start singing them on your own too :o
    Wow never noticed that song before, I must never have paid attention to the lyrics 'you never make me scream'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Wow never noticed that song before, I must never have paid attention to the lyrics 'you never make me scream'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Yeah I looked it up after reading your post, on wiki first and I didnt recognise it so I assumed it must be a b-side or something :o I must have heard it dozens of times and never picked out anything beyond the chorus. This happened to me recently too with Milow's Technology, just heard on a radio it in the background and thought it sounded like a nice pleasant song, I thought the chorus was 'I'm tired of using technology, why dont you sit down and talk with me'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Well, I distinctly remember arguing with friends at the time (in the local castle, with ten smokes we'd somehow managed to get our hands on) that the song was not actually about refraining from biting sweets* at all [I'll get to that] but was in fact actually about 'going to the toilet'. We kept on hearing about it being banned, there was no avoiding that, and from memory that was the only reason we could come up with, in our 11 year old minds.

Oh, the 'sweets' thing...

Well, the song was clearly about Chewits, everyone knew that!

Relax, don't do it, when you wanna suck a Chewit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

gumbo1 wrote: »
    Blazing saddles! The entire movies gag reel.

I think BS was laughing more at the racists than with them tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Ezer Goode, Ezer Goode, he's Ebenezer Goode...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Mariah Carey 'Honey'

And it's just like honey
    When your love comes over me
    Honey I can't describe
    How good it feels inside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Des Cahill has been getting away with it for far too long on RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,203 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

When released in the United States, the song caused a minor controversy. However, it managed to reach the top five of the Billboard Hot 100 chart, peaking at No. 4 and at No. 2 on the Billboard Modern Rock Tracks chart, after receiving extensive play on modern rock radio, which was more accepting of the song's subject matter.

Source: Wikipedia

And more recently... Beyoncé! :eek:

"Blow" is a disco-influenced R&B and funk song which has several other musical influences and elements featured in it. It received comparison to songs from the 1970s and 1980s mostly by Prince and Janet Jackson. Lyrically it talks explicitly about oral sex and cunnilingus through heavy innuendo in line with Beyoncé* '​s sexual tone. Following its release, it received positive reviews by music critics who hailed it as one of the most explicit and best songs on the album. Its variety of musical genres and production were also praised as well as Beyoncé's vocal performance. Due to several promotional remixes of the song, "Blow" managed to peak at number one on the US Billboard Hot Dance Club Songs chart without an official release as a single.

Source: Wikipedia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Ezer Goode, Ezer Goode, he's Ebenezer Goode...

Got any salmon??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

Peter Gabriel, Sledgehammer was really brilliant.

The lyrics are filled with metaphors for sex. I never noticed when i was younger, i just liked the video.

• Advertisement
Advertisement