Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Park to take on Caitlyn Jenner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I don't know who caitlyn Jenner is.
    Am I missing out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I’ve attempted to watch South Park on more than one occasion. Apart from the terrible animation and fascination with explosive bowel movements, I found the satire to much more miss than hit. Broad strokes of easy-to-digest satire in a show that really isn’t as clever, funny or insightful as it thinks it is. Rather like its fans one would opine.

The legacies of Swift, Rabelais and Molière as satirists and social commentators aren’t in any danger as a result of a show like South Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,303 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The legacies of Swift, Rabelais and Molière as satirists and social commentators aren’t in any danger as a result of a show like South Park.

Dare I suggest you may be setting your standards too high?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,352 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I’ve attempted to watch South Park on more than one occasion. Apart from the terrible animation and fascination with explosive bowel movements, I found the satire to much more miss than hit. Broad strokes of easy-to-digest satire in a show that really isn’t as clever, funny or insightful as it thinks it is. Rather like its fans one would opine.

Well I am shocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

South Park used to be class but ever since it's been increasingly focused on current affairs, it's lost its edge for me. It's all well and good for a programme to try and be satirical but if it's not funny, it doesn't have any value as a comedy for me. Unlike some of the halfwits I know who like it, I don't need a TV show to do my thinking for me on certain topics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

OP, wtf is the "politically correct bridage" comment about? I'm one of those dastardly people who thinks that, by and large, political correctness has been a good thing for the world. It's what stop us calling people darkies and dykes and the like. And I LOVE South Park. Not all people who are PC have had a sense of humour bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Penn wrote: »
    Dare I suggest you may be setting your standards too high?

Not too high at all. Satire is one of the oldest and most profound aspects of the human condition. It's best delivered with a razor-like softness of touch. Having some pale mustachioed pastiche of manliness take the world's biggest bowel movement as a way of representing resentment for rock stars like Bono, is the equivalent of using a digger to drive through a door when a simple knock would do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Not too high at all. Satire is one of the oldest and most profound aspects of the human condition. It's best delivered with a razor-like softness of touch. Having some pale mustachioed pastiche of manliness take the world's biggest bowel movement as a way of representing resentment for rock stars like Bono, is the equivalent of using a digger to drive through a door when a simple knock would do.
    Suck on my chocolate salty balls.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The legacies of Swift...

Imma let you finish...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

So, do you like Fish Sticks?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

I just watched the episode. Pregnant mexican women and jared from subway got it worse in that episode. The people who complain about everything being too PC got the most mileage from it.

Please. You wish you could write satire as well as Parker and Stone. And believe it or not, there is more than one exemplary way to carry off satire. Open your mind a bit.

And re: the animation. I'm arty, I'm pretty good at it, I'm interested in it, and to me the animation has its own charm IMO. My very talented secondary school art, who really knew his art history, loved South Park. The creators' inspiration was the crude animation of Monty Python. They said "That animation was crap, and we thought "Hey, we can make crap"". There's a very deliberate impishness to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Wompa1

ghastly business, that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    OP, wtf is the "politically correct bridage" comment about? I'm one of those dastardly people who thinks that, by and large, political correctness has been a good thing for the world. It's what stop us calling people darkies and dykes and the like. And I LOVE South Park. Not all people who are PC have had a sense of humour bypass.

I think its to highlight, that we dont need to be so PC we lose our opinions (Butters says everyone is keeping their mouth shut). Or that we cant be so PC there is no satire in our lives eg this is one of the least funny south parks I have seen. I think PC Principal also highlighted just because youre PC, doesnt make you a good person, as PC Principal was a douche bag but he seen it as fine as its important to spread the PC message.

My favourite part of the episode was talking about how they were "privileged",as they were white, straight males. So therefore their opinion was less important. If you watch I am Cait. Caitlyns opinion is constantly disregarded in the show as she is "privileged". Some people have a belief just because you fit the category for "privileged", your opinion has less weight than others, which contradicts what being PC is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Absolute ****e episode, Randy was awesome as usual, the rest was muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Randy has become the best in it.
    Him smoking weed and bouncing on his balls was possibly the funniest episode I've ever seen.
    Cart man singing the theme at the end of this episode was funny. But again brings the main point. ........who the fcuk actually gives a **** about what the kardashian a do in life.
    Headlines in a newspaper would be "Kim and Kanye have a coffee in Starbucks " an a tiny little bit in the corner
    " Bruce Jenner killed people while on his phone while driving..."
    So to some it up Kim and Kanye having a poxy coffee is so much more important than anyone else's lives.
    Unless it was a frappachino or something then that's totally understandable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

I thought it was pretty good, much better than most of the previous season. Cartman's dream about breaking the rules was a particular highlight.

I could take or leave Randy these days tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Loved the Tom Brady stuff and Cartman's line about PC Principle not wanting to end up like Jared from Subway.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Mr Garrison will probably play a huge part in this episode I'd say... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

Jon Stark wrote: »

I could take or leave Randy these days tbh.

Look just because you shared an intimate moment in the hot tub.....

• Advertisement

Tarzana is this a post giving out to OP about making comments about the politically correct brigade on a thread about an episode of south park that was mostly about political correctness gone mad? Im lost :)

Tarzana is this a post giving out to OP about making comments about the politically correct brigade on a thread about an episode of south park that was mostly about political correctness gone mad? Im lost :)

This post is about the use of the utterly mindless phrase 'political correctness brigade' as if everyone who is in some way PC is a humourless ninny. Yes, there are professional offence-takers out there, but they're in a minority.

And don't get me started on 'Political correctness gone mad' - as someone said somewhere on boards recently, the people who use this phrase are often people who get a bit butthurt that they can't spew some horrible viewpoint anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

This post is about the use of the utterly mindless phrase 'political correctness brigade' as if everyone who is in some way PC is a humourless ninny. Yes, there are professional offence-takers out there, but they're in a minority.

And don't get me started on 'Political correctness gone mad' - as someone said somewhere on boards recently, the people who use this phrase are often people who a bit butthurt that they can't spew some horrible viewpoint anymore.
    Reported for homophobia.

folamh wrote: »
    Reported for homophobia.

Not sure if joking. <_< >_>

But if not, you know women can take it the bum bum too, yeah? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Didn't find it particularly great either. Any episode with mostly Randy or Butters is usually good.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

Not sure if joking. <_< >_>

"Butthurt" is a homophobic slur which also trivializes rape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Randy is a joke in a bad way now.

He peaked with the Bat Dad episode. Didn't get any better after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Reported for homophobia.

When with the word 'Butthurt' beome associated with homophobia?

Mr. Garrison: Gay people, well, gay people are EVIL, evil right down to their cold black hearts which pump not blood like yours or mine, but rather a thick, vomitous oil that oozes through their rotten veins and clots in their pea-sized brains which becomes the cause of their Nazi-esque patterns of violent behavior. Do you understand?

"Butthurt" is a homophobic slur which also trivializes rape.

Ahem.
    But if not, you know women can take it the bum bum too, yeah? :pac:

I never said I was overly PC anyway. But report away, I guess.

• Advertisement

And don't get me started on 'Political correctness gone mad' - as someone said somewhere on boards recently, the people who use this phrase are often people who get a bit butthurt that they can't spew some horrible viewpoint anymore.

So would you say...its not politically correct to not speak in favour of politically correct people?

Im joking tarzana! :)

Advertisement