Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl/Aldi

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Why is there a stigma with working for them? Their management programme requires a degree, being able to speak at least intermediate German and pays 60 k with a car thrown in. You won't do much better than that at any first job.

I know, but a fair few people are mort to be seen shopping there so I guess some people care about these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

Poland? No seriously, good few Irish in the ones I go too.

Love Lidl but have to avoid because of the temptations of that bakery. So good to Aldi instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Nonsense. Most of the checkout operators in my local Aldi are Eastern European and are pleasant and smile and say hello.
    Perhaps that's something to do with the fact that they're normal people and I interact with them the same way I would with Irish people.

You've answered your own question from your original post.

Nope, see post 3 in the thread....there's where 'stigma' was first used, I used it in jest

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 113 ✭✭joe_six_cans

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Was talking to someone who works in them once (Polish as it happens :D) and yeah the money on offer is extremely reasonable

pay is good per hour but they have to work extremely long working weeks , my sister is a solicitor and has represented a former employee of one of the retailers in question , very hard to work for

majority of staff are not irish in the outlet i frequent but its untrue their are no irish there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

pay is good per hour but they have to work extremely long working weeks , my sister is a solicitor and has represented a former employee of one of the retailers in question , very hard to work for

majority of staff are not irish in the outlet i frequent but its untrue their are no irish there

They do not have to work extremely long weeks , that's rubbish .everybody gets 2 days off a week and assistants and deputy's dont work over 40 hours a week , management 45 .
    And loads of Irish work there ,

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Nonsense. Most of the checkout operators in my local Aldi are Eastern European and are pleasant and smile and say hello.
    Perhaps that's something to do with the fact that they're normal people and I interact with them the same way I would with Irish people.

You've answered your own question from your original post.

Lol, are you implying you think that I don't and that I've a problem with E. Europeans? Because I don't, I love E.E and it's people, I have been there multiple times.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

A fella that used to work with me got a job with Aldi as a manager, the money is good.

As far as I know the ordinary joe soaps get something like a tenner an hour up to €13 depending in what they do and it's around a 30 hour week.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

They do not have to work extremely long weeks , that's rubbish .everybody gets 2 days off a week and assistants and deputy's dont work over 40 hours a week , management 45 .
    And loads of Irish work there ,

Amazed there's a manager anywhere that does 45 hours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭custard gannet

Lol, are you implying you think that I don't and that I've a problem with E. Europeans? Because I don't, I love E.E and it's people, I have been there multiple times.

Of course he is. Can't say anything these days without being tarred as racist.

I find young Irish girls in supermarkets, clothes shops and bar staff to be generally far more smiley and chatty than E European ones the same age, yet on the flip side there seems to be some awful ill tempered middle aged Irish ones on the tills in Dunnes. I suppose if you spent 30- 40 years working in a place that treats their staff as badly as Dunnes is meant to you would be pissed off and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

So you just think that they have poor customer-service skills then? (Again, I disagree, I don't notice any different between sales assistants of different nationalities here)
    Of course he is. Can't say anything these days without being tarred as racist.

Sure you can't even make broad generalisations about multiple national groups these days without someone calling you a racist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭booooring!

Why get increased rent on your council house and lose other benefits to work in a minimum wage job? you would actually be down money!

booooring! wrote: »
    Why get increased rent on your council house and lose other benefits to work in a minimum wage job? you would actually be down money!

But if the Eastern Europeans are all coming here for our generous benefits, then why are they all working in Aldi and Lidl?...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Poland? No seriously, good few Irish in the ones I go too.

Love Lidl but have to avoid because of the temptations of that bakery. So good to Aldi instead.

God if they had a coffee machine I would be in there every frigging morning.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭booooring!

But if the Eastern Europeans are all coming here for our generous benefits, then why are they all working in Aldi and Lidl?...

A lot of people coming over don't bring their families with them and send money back home.

booooring! wrote: »
    A lot of people coming over don't bring their families with them and send money back home.

They should tell the social welfare that they identify as black African women and they'll have to accept that now because of the new legislation and then they'll get free prams which they can then sell to Aldi who can sell them on on Thursday mornings and they'd have more money to send home to their families who're laughing at us for being so soft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

kneemos wrote: »
    Amazed there's a manager anywhere that does 45 hours.
    Plenty of them in supermarkets.

I've heard Lidl and Aldi are very tough to work for too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Plenty of them in supermarkets.

I've heard Lidl and Aldi are very tough to work for too.

I've heard, I've heard.. Lots of that in this thread...

Worked there for a few years on the floor.. Good pay, hours were normal(in fact I work longer days in IT now). In our store was about 70% eastern european.

Tough work for someone who justdoesnt want to work maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I've heard, I've heard.. Lots of that in this thread...

Worked there for a few years on the floor.. Good pay, hours were normal(in fact I work longer days in IT now). In our store was about 70% eastern european.

Tough work for someone who justdoesnt want to work maybe.

couldnt agree with you more, i also worked there and exactly the same as you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Plenty of Irish working in them nowadays. Makes a positive change as well compared to the days when it was basically as you say, all Polish/Europeans, and they wouldn't even say anything whereas most Irish cashiers instinctively greet the customer and thank them.

Actually I would have the opposite impression - in our local Lidl (where I shop a few times a week) the ONLY cashier who doesn't greet every customer at the till is the irish person - every other cashier always says 'hello' / 'Good morning' etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭custard gannet

Sure you can't even make broad generalisations about multiple national groups these days without someone calling you a racist.

Generalisations are generally very accurate, only a leftist clown could argue otherwise. In all my years the only generalisation I have found to be incorrect is that all Swedish women are model standard and all Italians are football mad- there's a significant minority of them who couldn't give a toss about it.

Aside from that, they pretty much all stand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

The manager of the new aldi in Terenure is from Antarctica and most of the staff are from some foreign place called Leitrim

Generalisations are generally very accurate, only a leftist clown could argue otherwise. In all my years the only generalisation I have found to be incorrect is that all Swedish women are model standard and all Italians are football mad- there's a significant minority of them who couldn't give a toss about it.

Aside from that, they pretty much all stand.

Fancy a few drinks and a fight later?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

The manager of the new aldi in Terenure is from Antarctica

he's working in the freezer section i take it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The manager of the new aldi in Terenure is from Antarctica and most of the staff are from some foreign place called Leitrim

Nonsense. I don't believe you

Everyone knows that there's no people from Leitrim!

Advertisement