Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl/Aldi

Options
  • 18-09-2015 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭

Why are their staff made up of at a guess 90% European (or Polish to be exact) every store I'e ever been in, from security to shop staff .......where exactly do they advertise for job vacancies? I've never seen any

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Not in the ones near me, the Aldi is nearly all Irish or English and they often advertise for staff. The Lidil is a mixture of Irish, Chinese, and Polish.

The store manger in both is Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

I've seen them advertise jobs on career sites. They have a careers section on their own website too. I know Irish people who have worked there, there's no big conspiracy. More likely, Irish people stay away, feeling there's a stigma to working there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

mariaalice wrote: »
    Not in the ones near me, the Aldi is nearly all Irish or English and they often advertise for staff. The Lidil is a mixture of Irish, Chinese, and Polish.

You're 1 of the 10% aren't you :D.....seriously tho in Dublin you're talking about? I've honestly never seen it, not saying I've never seen any Irish staff but definitely huge majority European

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Seeing more Irish working in the shops in recent years than non Irish.

I've seen them advertise jobs on FAS or whatever they call themselves nowadays website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Why are their staff made up of at a guess 90% European (or Polish to be exact) every store I'e ever been in, from security to shop staff .......where exactly do they advertise for job vacancies? I've never seen any

You have to apply online (for aldi anyway) and they actually have some really good career/management progression options. I may be wrong but I think the hourly rate is 11ish euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭deni20000

mariaalice wrote: »

Aldi Nenagh is mainly staffed by Eastern Europeans, a few Irish, one English - manager is EE.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Plenty of Irish working in them nowadays. Makes a positive change as well compared to the days when it was basically as you say, all Polish/Europeans, and they wouldn't even say anything whereas most Irish cashiers instinctively greet the customer and thank them.

222233 wrote: »
    You have to apply online (for aldi anyway) and they actually have some really good career/management progression options. I may be wrong but I think the hourly rate is 11ish euro?

Was talking to someone who works in them once (Polish as it happens :D) and yeah the money on offer is extremely reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 41,000 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Any store I've been in is mixed!!!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

More than 90% European in most stores.

They advertise regularly, some Irish Europeans do have problems seeing adverts for these kind of jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,425 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Here you go OP

http://jobs.lidl.ie/cps/rde/career_lidl_ie/hs.xsl/index.htm

https://www.aldirecruitment.ie/

Seems to be a mixture of nationalities in my local store.

Anyway, good luck in your application. I hope all goes well.

Here you go OP

http://jobs.lidl.ie/cps/rde/career_lidl_ie/hs.xsl/index.htm

https://www.aldirecruitment.ie/

Seems to be a mixture of nationalities in my local store.

Anyway, good luck in your application. I hope all goes well.

Nope..... tho if I needed a job I could probably get over the stigma, was more an observation question than an application one

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Ladi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

The new Oranmore Aldi has plenty if not mostly Irish staff. The Doughiska Lidl is more mixed -- but the checkout staff are chatty regardless.

The innercity Galway ones are more straight to the point but alright when spoken to (also mixed staff as well). I imagine the rural stores have more Irish staff in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

nothing against the foreign staff

some of those eastern european check out girls are hot, usually wink at them as they're scanning my condoms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Why is there a stigma with working for them? Their management programme requires a degree, being able to speak at least intermediate German and pays 60 k with a car thrown in. You won't do much better than that at any first job.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Security staff? What? Where?
    fryup wrote: »
    nothing against the foreign staff

some of those eastern european check out girls are hot, usually wink at them as they're scanning my condoms

That "wink" could be thought of as something else ;)

My local Aldi, the staff rock, even the Irish staff are cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is there a stigma ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

vicwatson wrote: »
    Security staff? What? Where?
    There's always one security guard in my local Lidl. Either Polish or Nigerian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

(I always get those two mixed up).

The only place I've seen blatant pilfering,don't even bother looking around to see if anybody is watching,just straight in the pocket or up the sleeve.
    Remove the contents and leave the box seems the preferred technique.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

They have the audacity to expect people to earn their wages through honest hard work, that would have been a bit of a foreign concept for a lot of the Celtic tiger pups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

They have the audacity to expect people to earn their wages through honest hard work, that would have been a bit of a foreign concept for a lot of the Celtic tiger pups.
    The scandal of it........
    I think its time to call Joe.....those foreigners are making us work for our wages.!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I used to work for aldi and the mix was roughly 40/60 , Irish workers being 40 , but that was because Im a non national from Wales , apparently it still counts as they used to tell me . I Tell them I'll wipe the smug off your Irish faces when we knock you out of World Cup ...............

Again........

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I used to work for aldi and the mix was roughly 40/60 , Irish workers being 40 , but that was because Im a non national from Wales , apparently it still counts as they used to tell me . I Tell them I'll wipe the smug off your Irish faces when we knock you out of World Cup ...............

Again........

Whats wiping the smug off? Welsh expression maybe?

Again........

Good luck in that group pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

kneemos wrote: »
    Good luck in that group pal.

Yeh I know.... Thanks ..... ;(

Ireland have a great chance this year . Come on the boys in green :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I see Lidl in the UK are introducing a "living wage" of 9 quid per hour, that is 12.36 euro any know what the basic rate is here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Plenty of Irish working in them nowadays. Makes a positive change as well compared to the days when it was basically as you say, all Polish/Europeans, and they wouldn't even say anything whereas most Irish cashiers instinctively greet the customer and thank them.

Nonsense. Most of the checkout operators in my local Aldi are Eastern European and are pleasant and smile and say hello.
    Perhaps that's something to do with the fact that they're normal people and I interact with them the same way I would with Irish people.
    Nope..... tho if I needed a job I could probably get over the stigma, was more an observation question than an application one

You've answered your own question from your original post.

Advertisement