Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

best fantasy books

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Dreolin

I highly recommend the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher the're brilliant and very funny...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭Ronanc1

Have to agree with alot of posts here gemmells stuff is great as is feists earlier works my new fav as of recently has to be ian irvines well of echoes suprised it hasnt been mentioned much aswell one of my all time favs has to be juliet mckennas einarinn series

And as said before stay away from david eddings crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭Shadowless

I quite enjoyed Rothfuss's "Name of the Wind". Definitely worth checking out imo.
    His blog is quite funny too.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Wilko121

calis wrote: »
    jordan wheel of time was great for first few books but man hes just dragging it out now .. it a joke .. and new book wont be here til late 06. ill be dead b4 he finishs that series..

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭rosepetal

aine-maire wrote: »
    Robin Hobb...I love the Farseer,Tawny Man and Liveship trilogies, but did anyone else hate Soldier Son? I don't know why, it just did not appeal to me as the others did.
    :cool:

yeah i agree, i flew through the first 3 sets and LOVED them, but ploughed through soldier son. the military angle just isnt my cup of tea

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

rosepetal wrote: »
    yeah i agree, i flew through the first 3 sets and LOVED them, but ploughed through soldier son. the military angle just isnt my cup of tea
    It wasn't just the military angle. The books were single-threaded, while her ther books were multi-threaded. The characters were dull, whereas they were compelling in the other trilogies. There was a pattern of building up in the books, but then having a terrible anticlimax when nothing much happened.
    I'm slamming the books a bit, considering they weren't actually bad - I was just disappointed because I enjoyed her previous stuff much more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 KraftwerkOrange

The Books of Pellinor series by Alison Croggon are quite good. Sort of like Lord of the Rings in a way.
    I've only read one of Robin Hobb's books, and it was quite good. I think I'll try and hunt down some of her other ones....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Legend by david gemmell
    Magician by raymond e feist
    The blade itself by joe abercrombie
    The painted man by peter brett
    A game of thrones by rr martin
    On stranger tides by tim powers
    Necroscope by brian lumley(horror fantasy)
    destroying angel by bernard king
    Above are all great books ,and the above authors have written plenty more good reads,check them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

rosepetal wrote: »

Yeah definitely...

I also thought that the concept of the plot (him gaining a rather sizable amount of weight only to discover that it's due to magic)was a bit strange and sometimes in bad taste! I haven't bothered even buying the 3rd one tbh...really don't care what happens to him!

Can I just say that Harry Potter should definitely get a mention! (Can hardly believe that it hasn't already...:eek:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 AragornSG

Fantasy Fan ( http://www.fantasy-fan.org ) has a decent comparison of fantasy books and writers:
    fantasy book recommendations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Very surprised it took till pages 10/11 for Alison Croggon and Karen Miller to be mentioned :pac:

Another fan of Garth Nix and Trudi Canavan here. Oh, and Philip Pullman. Also don't think i saw any mention of Sarah Zettel or Jean Auel (Clan of the Cave Bear series, excellent).

I only recently got into Fantasy but am loving it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 James-Brod

Robert Jordan - Wheel of Time Series
    Trudi Canavan - Black Magician Trilogy, Age of the Five
    Robin Hobb - Farseer Trilogy
    James Barclay - Chronicles/Legends of the the Raven
    Robert Newcomb - Chronicles of Blood and Stone
    Terry Goodkind - Sword of Truth Series (Though I've only read the last 3)
    Christopher Paolini - Inheritence Saga

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭starchild

my faves would be

raymond feist - Magician will always be a classic, i think the way he develops all the characters across a range of books set at different times is top class

terry goodkind - sword of truth series, really enjoyable and i think got better as it progressed

robin hobb - the farseer trilogy would be my favourite followed by the tawny man

i thought soldiers son was really bad in comparison to the others

Sara Douglass - i really enjoy her work particularly the axis trilogy and the troy game

I think Patrick Rothfuss who wrote In the name of the wind could become very popular

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

Belgarath the sorcerer and Polgara are a nice read..................... the Mills and Boons of fantasy (very enjoyable;)>

Hm...better written than Mills and Boons though I think!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭ocianain

The Newcastle Forgotten Fantasy series was awesome, it pretty much picked up where the Ballantine Adult Fantasy series left off. Both great series full of great books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭ocianain

chevy wrote: »
    Hi all,

I read the chronicles of Conan by robert jordan a few years back and presumed that this were used for the films. In london recently and seen books written by Robert E. Howard titled the "original Chronicles of Conan".
    Anyone know the backgroung to these books. Are they any good etc. ?

Chevy

Robert Howard created Conan, the books were re-issued in the 70's and 80's with many people (Carter, deCamp, Jordan) writing their own. All these other writers work diminished the work of Howard (who is a very underrated author, see Mark Finns excellent biography, ignore deCamps disappointing Dark Valley Destiny). Howards boxing stories are some of his best work, keep an ee out for them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Cooney-tunes

Dont know if anyone has said this yet but Terry Goodkinds "Sword of Truth" series. Its my personnal favourite and i think anyone who like fantasy will enjoy it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Dont know if anyone has said this yet but Terry Goodkinds "Sword of Truth" series. Its my personnal favourite and i think anyone who like fantasy will enjoy it.
    I couldn't get beyond the second book and I love fantasy but maybe others will have better luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭ninja 12

The series based on the Sword of Truth series, "Legend of the Seeker" started last night on the scifi channel.

It's repeated this evening @6pm.

Scifi Channel page.

They've just started filming series 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

ninja 12 wrote: »
    The series based on the Sword of Truth series, "Legend of the Seeker" started last night on the scifi channel.

It's repeated this evening @6pm.

Scifi Channel page.

They've just started filming series 2
    I watched it, so so . I will give it a few weeks to see if it grows on me ;)

At the moment I'm reading the 3 x Bauchelain, Korbal Broach and Emancipor Reese Novella's by Steven Erikson, Just got them Tuesday

Waiting for my copy of Eriksons 9th malazan book Dust of dreams on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭ninja 12

It's a long time since I read the books, I've forgotten most of the story.

I've recorded the show, probably won't get to see it until after the weekend.

Was it any good ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Ridley

I'm fond of Weis and Hickman's Death Gate Cycle.

And (of all the Discworld books) Pratchett's Small Gods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 LaughingJack

The First Law Series by Joe Abercrombie should be checked out. Great and unconventional characters and great story. Good read all round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mooseboy

Generally, give me historical fantasy any time. Toned down magic and monsters with a more historical leaning.

Anything by Guy Gavriel Kay gets my vote.
    Also Gemmell's Macedon series.
    Interregnum by Simon Turney.

I guess also the majority of Arthurian fantasy would go with it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Whiskey Jack

New poster here, so hi to all!

Been reading fantasy since I was about 7 years old (The Hobbit got me hooked) and I can say, without a shadow of a doubt that Stephen Ericksons Malazan Book of the Fallen series is the finest fantasy series and also contains some of the finest individual novels I have ever had the please to read. His friend and co inventor of this fascinating world, Ian Claire Esslemont has also triumphed with his two side Novels, I have read plenty of very good posts dealing with this series of books and I cannot stress enough how amazing they are - if you are suffering from Robert Jordon stress or are just sick of where Terry Goodkind is going, then jump on, I can safely say there isnt one page of 'filler' in the entire series, every page is a classic, every character believable.

For a darker, more horrific look at fantasy, the Prince of Nothing series, by R Scott Bakker, is on a par with Erickson in terms of its sheer readability and in many ways they both ask some pretty deep (for a fantasy series of books at any rate) philosophical questions and even go so far as to pose some ideas as to the answers and for those who have yet to read either, dont worry if philosophy isnt your thing, in the Malazans Books a 10ft Humanoid known as a Tarthenol Posing these philosphical questions to a witch he is trying to bed just after hacking apart 30 'grey elves' with a massive flint sword might put it in the context its in!

The Characters in both series are fascination and there are two of note, one being the huge Anomander Rake, who might be described as a 'dark elf' in other series of books although beyond the eyes, features and ears, there isnt anything vaguely 'elven' about him, he's a massively complex character, too complex too discuss in my first post!

The main character in the Prince of Nothing series, Anasurimbor Kelhus, is more written about as he is somewhat of a mysterious figure - all I can say is think Derren Browne in a fantasy setting and what he could achieve and you are halfway there.

By other favourite authors include:

Alastair Reynolds

China Mieville

David Gemmel: RIP

Brian Keane (technically horror, but some of his books are as much fantasy as horror)

Iain M Banks

Will update when I can post again - thanks for having me!

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭sxt

Thanks Whiskyjack , I was just about to post a topic about "the prince of nothing" series , wanting to know whether it was worth a look see .It sounds very good :) I am defo going to give it a read soon .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 The_Hat

Stephen King's 'The Dark Tower 'series was, for a while, some of the best fantasy I'd read. Jordan's 'Wheel of Time' and Ian Irvines 'Well of Echoes' are also awesome. Planning on getting started on that Song of Ice and Fire thing, heard nothing but good about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 C.Rizzle

If your into books my friends just after writing a book titled
    GODS RETURN. Its a fictional book with real facts. Based on modern times.
    Im not so much into books and a skeptic but after reading this it
    really blew my mind on the web until 4 in the mornin looking this up
    for myself. Over the last year he has studied every religion, and ancient civilisations to write it. I'l take bets now that it will be a top seller.
    The launch is on the 25th of October in the Maldron Hotel Tallaght.
    From 3-5. Everybody should pop down and i can guantee you'l love it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

The_Hat wrote: »
    Stephen King's 'The Dark Tower 'series was, for a while, some of the best fantasy I'd read. Jordan's 'Wheel of Time' and Ian Irvines 'Well of Echoes' are also awesome. Planning on getting started on that Song of Ice and Fire thing, heard nothing but good about it.

Good luck with SoI+F, it gets good and then you've nothing to read cos he's diddling about with writer's block.

Must give the Prince of Nothing series as bash after I finish Dust of Dreams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

In no particular order -

The Dark Tower Series - Stephen King
    The Discworld Series - Terry Pratchett
    The Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan (I'm currently suffering from readers block with this series. Stuck on book 6) :)
    The Sword of Truth Series - Terry Goodkind (Bought the last book 2 years ago and still haven't brought myself to read it as I didn't want the story to end in my head just yet!) :D
    The Belgariad and Silmarillion - David Eddings
    The 13 and a half lives of Captain Blue Bear/Rumo and his Miraculous Adventures and The City of Dreaming Books (Still to read though but on the bookshelf!) - Walter Moers
    The Lord of the Rings - J.R.R. Tolkien

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Ichiro

The George RR Martin Game of Thrones series is excellent.
    But the wait between books is a pain in the a**!

Currently reading Joe Abercrombie First Law Trilogy Excellent books!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Hi new to this forum, I started reading Marvel and DC comics 40 years ago found the Hobbit and never looked back, read an awful lot of tripe in there but some beauties as well.
    Hobbit and Lord of the Rings
    dark Tower King
    Stephen Donaldsons first trilogy
    Trudi Canavans new 2 trilogy's nice reading
    the ring trilogy Koji suzuki
    The graveyard book Neil Gaiman
    The book of lost things John Connolly
    Anything by Nevil Shute (if you can find it)
    Eon Gregg Bear
    Mental blank from here will update as I think of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I started reading fantasy with Lord of the Rings, and years later the McCaffrey books, which I loved but now I find them a bit too naive.
    More recently Feist's Daughter of the Empire and sequels, I have read them several times and still enjoy them. Also Magician, great book.
    Ricardo Pinto's first book of The Stonedance of the Chameleon was a book that totally fascinated me, I read it then as I turned the last page I went back to the beginning and read it again. Its very harsh and gruesome in places, but he creates an intriguing world. However I really could not get into the second book, it seemed to endlessly go nowhere.
    The Iron Dragon's Daughter by Michael Swanwick written in 1994 is steampunk meets fantasy, a story of a girl trapped in a Dickensian factory run by elves and sleazy humans, and her subsequent life with a metal dragon. Doesn't sound much put like that, but it is brilliantly written, very grim but with touches of Prachett. One on its own, and worth reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Fantastic thread, you guys have given me enough reading recommendations to last me at least a year.

My only problem now is whether to start with Feist or Williams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Airsoft_Invent

Inheritance Cycle - CHristopher Paolini

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Michael Marshall Smith
    -Only Forward.

Neil Gaimon
    -American Gods.
    -Neverwhere.

King.

-DT series.
    and
    -Black House(with Peter Straub)

Feist

-The Magician.

Orson Scott Card.
    -Tales of Alvin Maker.

Clive Barker
    -Weaveworld
    -Imajica
    -The Great and Secret Show.

Currently reading...

Paul Hoffman

-The left hand of God.

thats all i can think of off the top of my head;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

Read most of the books in here though for some reason have stayed away from the robin hobbs series as the local library never has book 1, 2 or 3 always book 8/9 etc...

Just finished David Zindell's Lightstone series, Wow is all I can say.Fantatsic

Still waiting to get the new Feist book in...what a legend. What concepts amazing imagination.

The Silmarillion by Tolkien
    Mort by Terry Pratchett
    Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by Rowlling
    Xenocide by Orson Scott Card
    Spiral by Koji Suzuki
    The Amber Spyglass by Phillip Pullman
    Sabriel by Garth Nix
    Blood and Gold by Anne Rice

...I'm sure I'll think of more

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭zippygirl

Basically all i can say is Charles de Lint!
    He is the man!
    Mystical realism!
    Read The Onion Girl and Widdershins and BE AMAZED!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Narsil

The Lord Of The Rings
    The Hobbit
    The Abhorsen Trilogy by Garth Nix(Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen)-They are awesome books!!
    Harry Potters(cant help myself:o)
    The Silmarillion
    The Magician-Raymond Feist
    Magicians Apprentice-Trudi Canavan
    The Chronicles Of The Necromancer-Gail Z Martin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 vitaminG

Finished the "Otherland" series by Tad Williams recently.

An interesting story and a lot of imagination. However, it did remind me of why I stopped reading Stephen King - there seemed to be a lot of padding that didn't particularly enhance the story. Overall, I felt the story could have been told in three books rather than the four they are contained in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

dogbert27 wrote: »
    The Belgariad and Silmarillion - David Eddings

Silmarillion is Tolkein mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

GodlessM wrote: »
    Silmarillion is Tolkein mate.

Obviously he meant The Malloreon.

But well spotted - that was only posted 10 months ago :rolleyes:

Macros42 wrote: »
    Obviously he meant The Malloreon.

But well spotted - that was only posted 10 months ago :rolleyes:

First thing I see when the page opens, it comes easy :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Sure we won't fight over it anyway. And if we do I claim the dwarves and the elves!

Macros42 wrote: »
    Sure we won't fight over it anyway. And if we do I claim the dwarves and the elves!

Lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

I just love the Wheel of Time series.I've just finished The Gathering Storm now and am eagerly awaiting the 2nd last book in November.I think Sanderson has done a great job.He's alot more direct then RJ was,who would spend 2 pages describing what clothes someone was wearing.Once you get use to that though and skim through those paragraphs you'll be fine:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Aiel wrote: »
    I just love the Wheel of Time series

I think we guessed that with that login name:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Steeeeeeo!

calis wrote: »
    has to be :

george r r martins song of ice and fire books followed by gemmells waylader books followed closely by fiests midekima and kelewan books!!!!!

robert jordans was good for 3 books but ant book ten now its a joke!!

robin hobb farseer was dull at start and picked up.

terry brooks shannara series faded 2wards the end for me tho first 3 were great.

eddings - first books i read but a little "childish" to read now.

the wheel of time books maybebe many and long but they are masterful. Jordan is able to juggle several substories andstill keeps you interested in whats going on with all of them. 9 and 10 arent quite as good but 11 was good and 12 has started to finish a few things up. i would honestly say these are better than LoTR and by a country mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Steeeeeeo!

Also,

has anyone read The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind?

another epic series although its an 11 part one again. easier to read than the Wheel of Time, albeit with a little less creativity but the character building is awesome and the stories are interesting enough to keep you going through them all. Worth a look for fantasy fans and a personal favourite of mine for the characters alone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement