Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,173 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Perhaps Tubs read Mick Heaney’s praise for him today, where he said 9-10 was a nice break from the miserable stories of the day.

Tubs said earlier that he found Morning Ireland very depressing this morning (I’m paraphrasing from memory).

Interesting Michael redmond said what Heaney said for free
    The only problem with the Covid vaccine is that once the virus is eradicated, all small talk will revert back to the prevailing weather
    Just get Michael redmond to host tubs shows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

What a coincidence. The random child who “called in” for the quiz just happened to have met Joe Biden!!!!

I, for one, am shocked.

Note: the above may contain some sarcasm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

The Birdman of Dublin 4 was getting into it this morning! Mr Nature himself, enjoying the birdsong in his garden.

He should have told the bird expert about the pleasure he took in finding one of these birds decapitated. Remember that? When he said he loves seeing gruesome stuff like that?

In fact, he should have went the whole hog (animal pun intended) and recounted his hilarious joke about the cat that was skinned alive a few years back. One of his classics. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/tubridy-offended-with-cat-incident-1.410396

The Birdman of Dublin 4 was getting into it this morning! Mr Nature himself, enjoying the birdsong in his garden.

He should have told the bird expert about the pleasure he took in finding one of these birds decapitated. Remember that? When he said he loves seeing gruesome stuff like that?

In fact, he should have went the whole hog (animal pun intended) and recounted his hilarious joke about the cat that was skinned alive a few years back. One of his classics. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/tubridy-offended-with-cat-incident-1.410396

Must remember this line:
    RTÉ regretted that offence was taken but the style of the programme was "light-hearted and jokey".

Must remember this line:

It's a cracker alright!

Remember though; if you make light hearted and jokey comments about him, it's actually bullying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Knocked out a few beautiful kindnesses on the LLS before getting the misery horn on.

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29153225d55777eed132d7372c535fb9eb5c85acdb&rid=giphy.gif

As suggested by a boardsie. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

If he sees that, he'll have a búdán on him like a thermos flask.

This Alan Partridge Tribute Act is very good in fairness.

I’ve lost count of the beautifuls already.

• Advertisement

I’ve lost count of the beautifuls already.

How's de I?

How's de I?

Mostly good to be fair. The vision is a little blurry and the eye itself is flicking/blinking involuntarily but I was told to expect those. Slave that I am I was in early this morning, which if you think about it is incredible that after such a procedure you can be back to almost normal within 48 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

why does he get such a hard on for American politics?

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

Mostly good to be fair. The vision is a little blurry and the eye itself is flicking/blinking involuntarily but I was told to expect those. Slave that I am I was in early this morning, which if you think about it is incredible that after such a procedure you can be back to almost normal within 48 hours.

So yiz does be winking at people involuntarily, could be mixed messages goes around :D
    Be careful with de drivin an dat.

Multimillionaire tax avoider advises paupers to stay in bed.

The SoCoDu equivalent of “let them eat cake”.

dvcireland wrote: »
    why does he get such a hard on for American politics?

Old family connections as far as I can see. One Olivia Tubridy from Galway is documented to have been friendly with Kennedy's. Whichever family member Olivia was.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Multimillionaire tax avoider advises paupers to stay in bed.

The SoCoDu equivalent of “let them eat cake”.

Just short of telling the 12 hour shift pulling ICU nurse homeschooling children one of whom is autistic "have a duvet day day and breakfast in bed"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Tubridy pretending that he doesn't actually look down his nose at the Mills And Boons books

Tubridy awkward as always on libraries, has hardly ever been inside one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Books, books books. Anytime I switch on its books. Are there no other (non covid ) topics that he can focus on?

Or maybe I am just unlucky in the times I switch him on?

jimd2 wrote: »
    Books, books books. Anytime I switch on its books. Are there no other (non covid ) topics that he can focus on?

It's not all books.

He also talks about death and US presidents.

You could hear covid, American politics, boris Johnson or terminal illness either tbf.

Tubridy awkward as always on libraries, has hardly ever been inside one.

Recommended that book be obtained from bookshops specifically, mustnt be available in libraries

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Recommended that book be obtained from bookshops specifically, mustnt be available in libraries

Almost everything available through the libraries system, from the outliers to the latest bestsellers, but he never mentions it because he never even looks at the websites.

Almost everything available through the libraries system, from the outliers to the latest bestsellers, but he never mentions it because he never even looks at the websites.

Just at a guess its probably more lucrative financially for the publishers/ authors/ bookshops for books to be sold rather than borrowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

I wonder is young Rosie a reader?

Caller got in touch re birds but has been ambushed by our first case of heath issues of the week, the first but certainly not the last. It would wear you down.

Just at a guess its probably more lucrative financially for the publishers/ authors/ bookshops for books to be sold rather than borrowed.

But should he, as a promoter of reading, so to speak, not be bringing the nation's attention to the FREE national service that provides an endless amount of reading and expertise from very experienced staff? Or is he merely a promoter of "trading"?

Tubridy is a particularly well-paid marketeer, that's what he is. Has the patter coming from a fairly empty knowledge-space.

Ryan is at pains to demonstrate how much he likes irish rural pubs but in reality I think he would most of all like to be in the smoking room of a London private members club or an old colonial club ran by the East India Company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Ryan is at pains to demonstrate how much he likes irish rural pubs but in reality I think he would most of all like to be in the smoking room of a London private members club or an old colonial club ran by the East India Company.

There's a few pubs in places like Roundstone, Kinsale and the 'better' parts of West Cork that are frequented by a certain SoCoDu set. Those are the ones RT means when he says 'rural pubs'.

No fear of a farmer with shyte covered wellies pulling up outside with the MF 135 and the dog in the transport box being let into one of those places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,851 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

It’s his schtick

He hit upon it early enough in his broadcasting career. When you think about it , It’s a fairly easy way for him to waffle on and on and on so he fills time and talks down the clock.

doubt he does much actual reading other than the blurb on the dust jacket.

It also helps him create a “wholesome” intellectual image, building on auld uncle gays legacy yadda yadda

Also it’s a way for him to waffle and warble on without engaging much with the “ordinary joe soap”

Mod - I have had to delete some recent posts. Please don't refer further to any ongoing legal proceedings here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Tuned in for a while this morning. Top class stuff from Tubs I thought. He was able to deftly handle the heavy topic of a grandad suffering from dementia and the long goodbye with grace. He was particularly good with the young listener talking about her grandad.

You just don't get that type of radio outside Ireland. Really beautiful stuff and fantastic professionalism from the main man.

Tuned in for a while this morning. Top class stuff from Tubs I thought. He was able to deftly handle the heavy topic of a grandad suffering from dementia and the long goodbye with grace. He was particularly good with the young listener talking about her grandad.

You just don't get that type of radio outside Ireland. Really beautiful stuff and fantastic professionalism from the main man.

You know there's an appreciation thread too, right?

I particularly liked his attempt to break the world record for most uses of the word "beautiful" in approx. 45mins (incl. late start after news, a song and ads etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

That's what saddens me most about Tubridy now, versus Tubridy when he took over the 9.00am slot from Marian Finucane in around 2006.

Back then, Tubridy was a very good listener, who could take an interview away in a new direction based on the responses from the interviewee.

Nowadays, he is totally formulaic in his style and substance. He, like Duffy, barely listens to his interviewees, and appears more interested in turning every chat around to his (Tubridy's) pet likes. Books, Teachers, Americana, his kind of music.

On rare occasions he does get it right, like an interview with a deeply stressed out parent just before Christmas. I praised it at the time. But the fact he can do it every now and again just makes it more obvious that it is pure broadcasting complacency and laziness that prevents him doing it more often. That, and only being fed a diet of fawning praise by his bosses, Noel Kelly and production team.

As to your assertion that: "You just don't get that type of radio outside Ireland", well that just shows you are on a wind up operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

I was listening as well. Ryan is a true pro, to be fair to him, and he keeps knocking it out of the park. :cool:

I was listening as well. Ryan is a true pro, to be fair to him, and he keeps knocking it out of the park. :cool:

Lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭hawley

He finally let his true feelings slip about American politics and Donald Trump. He has quite critical of him on today's show.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/rte-star-ryan-tubridy-lets-23378965

And Tubridy's true feelings slipped as he added: "So that's Anthony Fauci describing his experience in the Trump White House, but that has all changed, thankfully... And he's back in a better position now, good news."

It's not the first time Tubs has spoken out on US politics, after earlier this month he compared the Washington D.C. riots – which saw Donald Trump-supporting protestors storm the nation's Capitol – to the fall of Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein nearly two decades ago.

The RTE host was left aghast by what he called "extraordinary" scenes, condemning a "mob" of protesters after they descended on Washington to disrupt the transition to a Joe Biden presidency.

And he wondered aloud about how different the police response – which seemed to see armed guards taking a light-touch approach – would have been had the protesters been of "a different skin colour."

I don't know if this photo, below the above posted article, has been altered with Photoshop (not by me I add), as Ryan looks slightly in want of a Trumpian combover:

0_3PNG.png

Not that it has any bearing in anything except that Ryan once made fun of a follicly challenged man in the audience of the Late Late Show

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

hawley wrote: »
    He finally let his true feelings slip about American politics and Donald Trump. He has quite critical of him on today's show.

And Tubridy's true feelings slipped as he added: "So that's Anthony Fauci describing his experience in the Trump White House, but that has all changed, thankfully... And he's back in a better position now, good news."

It's not the first time Tubs has spoken out on US politics, after earlier this month he compared the Washington D.C. riots – which saw Donald Trump-supporting protestors storm the nation's Capitol – to the fall of Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein nearly two decades ago.

The RTE host was left aghast by what he called "extraordinary" scenes, condemning a "mob" of protesters after they descended on Washington to disrupt the transition to a Joe Biden presidency.

And he wondered aloud about how different the police response – which seemed to see armed guards taking a light-touch approach – would have been had the protesters been of "a different skin colour."

Any right minded commentator would have condemned the Trump presidency and the events in the US capital a few weeks ago.

Not that it has any bearing in anything except that Ryan once made fun of a follicly challenged man in the audience of the Late Late Show

His jibes are only a projection of his own insecurities about the inevitability of baldness :pac:

He's at home plotting a free gruaig transplant at this very minute!

His jibes are only a projection of his own insecurities about the inevitability of baldness :pac:

He's at home plotting a free gruaig transplant at this very minute!

He can well afford it on those wages, and will no doubt write it off against tax as being an "essential work-related expense".

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29b763624007f6c5b4e1f0c31a66ea28086ecc38b5&rid=giphy.gif

Doing a Paul Daniels

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f2935eea48dd6457775b8cf9403f5d2229329e287ab&rid=giphy.gif

Maybe for next year's Toy Show

hawley wrote: »

I’ve always said it, he’s the Irish paxman

I don't know if this photo, below the above posted article, has been altered with Photoshop (not by me I add), as Ryan looks slightly in want of a Trumpian combover:

0_3PNG.png

He totally wants to rip that birds head off :) like the Pidgeon in his back yard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

He can still pull the chicks. Fair play to him.

He totally wants to rip that birds head off :) like the Pidgeon in his back yard

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29a6c9f287ea55d802ffe127bce148830bb893ec75&rid=giphy.gif

Fantastic Mr Fox

• Advertisement

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29a6c9f287ea55d802ffe127bce148830bb893ec75&rid=giphy.gif

Fantastic Mr Fox

Ah for fox sake.....

Advertisement