Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

History on the Farm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,133 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Guinness bottle made from similar material.

Inscription reads;

GUINNESS.S.XX
    ATRHUR,MG,MAHON
    Years ago, publicans got barrels of porter delivered from St. James Gate. This was before Guinness started bottling porter and stout for sale. The publican would individually fill reusable bottles and cork them for sale. Each publican had their own bottles with their name on them.

I think yours is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Guinness bottle made from similar material.

Inscription reads;

GUINNESS.S.XX
    ATRHUR,MG,MAHON

Was there a sup left in it??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Was there a sup left in it??

Found it here years ago when building the house.There was an existing house belonging to a grand uncle on the site.
    Knowing him its unlikely he would have left it undrained !!!!

Have a good few bits like that here ,mostly in the attic though the two photoed ones are on top of kitchen presses.

Talking of history on the farm have 6th century church (Southern wall and both gables standing)here beside the yard along with a graveyard and two cross bases.
    Graveyard is closed few hundred years but same grand uncle as above told me as a child that unbaptised children were buried there up to late 19th century.
    Know that before I fenced it off stock would uncover skeletal remains at times.Pretty ancient bones as they had the colour ,appearance and texture of the inside of a Crunchie Bar.
    Remember as a child digging holes all around it in the hope of finding "buried treasure".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Found it here years ago when building the house.There was an existing house belonging to a grand uncle on the site.

Have a good few bits like that here ,mostly in the attic though the two photoed ones are on top of kitchen presses.

Talking of history on the farm have 6th century church (Southern wall and both gables standing)here beside the yard along with a graveyard and two cross bases.
    Graveyard is closed few hundred years but same grand uncle as above told me as a child that unbaptised children were buried there up to late 19th century.
    Know that before I fenced it off stock would uncover skeletal remains at times.Pretty ancient bones as they had the colour ,appearance and texture of the inside of a Crunchie Bar.
    Remember as a child digging holes all around it in the hope of finding "buried treasure".
    A 6th century stone church in Ireland is remarkable indeed, any photos?

A 6th century stone church in Ireland is remarkable indeed, any photos?

It was established 6th century.Think its partly 7th century and partly 10th century building.
    According to what I have read it was destroyed by Viking raiders in late 9th century and rebuilt.
    Two very distinct parts to it.

Picture below was taken yesterday morning by nephew's drone.

532718.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

It was established 6th century.Think its partly 7th century and partly 10th century building.
    According to what I have read it was destroyed by Viking raiders in late 9th century and rebuilt.

Lovely stone work. Imagine the work that went into shaping them stones. All done by handtools and skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

I was eating a fecking crunchie bar as I was reading this.

Excellent, wonderful photo.

Your church is most definitely early medieval and pre-Norman. A sure sign of this is that the walls protrude a little beyond the gable, you can see this on the west gable in your picture. These are called antae and would have supported the roof timbers ahead of the gables so there would have probably been a small overhang type thing with the roof. This, and a linteled door in the west gable are tell tale signs that it is early medieval. (If the doors are in the side walls of the church it suggests it is late medieval). The fact that the church is undivided (a simple rectangle, there's not a clear separate nave and chancel) also suggests it is early medieval (although some late medieval are like this too, but will not have a antae or lintelled doors in the gable). Also, the fact that it is built very neatly, "smoothly" and carefully also suggests it is very old. This gable is probably from the 800s/900s AD.

The church is roughly about 3 times as long as it is wide, the east gable is an extension, the church would have been twice as long as wide originally. Can't tell clearly from the photograph but the stonework for the east extension and gable is much "rougher". This bit dates from the 1000/1100s AD probably.

I live no where near it and have never seen it myself but I'm 99% sure I recognise that church (ecclesiastical history and architecture is a hobby of mine redface.png). I won't go into any details that would easily identify where you live, but I know a little about the site. You are fairly bang on with the dates and we can be sure of a foundation in the 500s (documented evidence for it being a flourishing community by 590AD) and that the Vikings (in league with some natives it seems!) attacked it in 864AD or so. This means that it was obviously a place rich enough to be worth raiding. The remains now probably date from the rebuild, the earlier church could have been wooden or "rebuilt" into the current remains.

More than likely a saint is or was buried there, most monasteries had relics from a saint, or their founder buried there. It's not totally clear who founded your monastery (because its so early! Remember Patrick only arrived in Ireland in 432AD) but there definitely is a very holy 6th Century Bishop buried there, there's good written evidence of this. On a sadder note, its very probable unbaptised children were buried there up until recent times. The monastery probably fell out of use around 1300AD.

You are sitting on a treasure trove of archaeology (I'm very jealous!) a good deal of which will remain. The Monastery was much larger than the current small enclosed area, it would have been a whole complex. The nearby stream would have been used to power a mill no doubt, there could be remains of that. If you have any old stone built outhouses or walls have a look at them and their stone, quite likely that they reused stone from monastery buildings.

The whole area of the monastery would have been surrounded (probably) by a big circular ditch. These earthworks, or some of them, may still be discernible, your nephew should have a look over the general area of the site with his drone from a good height, he might be able to sport a section of it, or remains of the old field system (during a dry spell like the drought we had a few years ago).

Your monastery was part of Ireland's golden age - while the rest of Europe was collapsing and struggling in the depths of the dark ages monasteries like yours were springing up in Ireland as centers of learning, culture and religion. As far as history on a farm goes, I do not think you will be beat! Thanks so much for sharing, love it !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

532644.jpg
    Hot water bottle here with stopper

looks like its in very good condition. I presume its an heirloom. Or a find?

I remember my grandmother telling us that they could get exceptionly hot being earthenware but they were better than modern central heating as they stayed warm for a very long time.

NcdJd wrote: »

Hot water bottle.
    532644.jpg
    Hot water bottle here with stopper
    I remember as a childer Granny placing a similar type jar into the bed to warm it up. One of the best parts of staying with Granny and Grandad was falling asleep whilst watching the flames flicker from the open grate that was in every bedroom :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

There's a fireplace in one bedroom here but it's behind a false wall at the minute, would love to get it running again to be able to watch it as I drift off to sleep. Something very relaxing about watching flames flicker.

There's a fireplace in one bedroom here but it's behind a false wall at the minute, would love to get it running again to be able to watch it as I drift off to sleep. Something very relaxing about watching flames flicker.

I grew up in an old house which had no central heating. The bedrooms did have fireplaces but funnily enough never remember them been lit. We had beds with proper blankets and warm flannel sheets and hot water bottles when required. Never remember feeling cold. I dunno maybe as kids we're tougher then...

Not old enough to have actually seen one in use !!!!!

Well I suppose its an heirloom.Presume that's another word for dust catcher or so I'm told.
    Have a good pieces like the hot water bottle above.All nice but of sentimental value only.

Grandfather and Grandmother in Galway used to have a fireplace in every the old part of the house. When my mother used to bring myself and brother our grandmother used to have the hot water bottle in the beds ready for us. Best sleeps we ever had. Fond memories.

Now all I do when it's a really cold night is throw the old parker I have over the end of the bed. Parker must be at least 20 years old at this stage.. hasn't fallen apart yet!

gozunda wrote: »
    I grew up in an old house which had no central heating. The bedrooms did have fireplaces but funnily enough never remember them been lit. We had beds with proper blankets and warm flannel sheets and hot water bottles when required. Never remember feeling cold. I dunno maybe as kids we're tougher then...

To this day I prefer a window open & a cold room when I'm sleeping than one too stuffy where I'd wake up too warm & sweating.
    Think I was 8 when we got oil heating in, turf fire heated the house & water before that. Oddly enough, a large % of my cousins grew up with oil heating & they had/have asthma issues. Always wondered if that was coincidence or not.
    We used to have the same old wool blankets as below & a duvet & hot water bottle going to bed in winter, same as you, never felt the cold til getting dressed in the morning!
    Remember trying to get dressed under the covers some frosty mornings :D

533236.jpg

IMO there is nothing more comforting or sedate than drifting to sleep whilst glazing at the flames of a hearth fire :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Some of you may not know of the digital version of the historic ordnance survey maps that are available.

http://map.geohive.ie/mapviewer.html

There are a few options in the drop down menu the oldest being the six inch maps from 1833 onwards. You can also show the current map in the background as an overlay to see where exactly old features are in relation to current ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Base price wrote: »
    IMO there is nothing more comforting or sedate than drifting to sleep whilst glazing at the flames of a hearth fire :)

The old house on the farm here had a bellows to start the fire. As a kid I’d sit on a small homemade wooden stool dying for a turn with it to get the fire going, aparantly I was too keen and vigorous with risk of burning the house down. It’s still there and I light a fire there regular enough.

Rosahane wrote: »
    Some of you may not know of the digital version of the historic ordnance survey maps that are available.

There are a few options in the drop down menu the oldest being the six inch maps from 1833 onwards. You can also show the current map in the background as an overlay to see where exactly old features are in relation to current ones.

With heritagemaps.ie you can do that too and put on a million different filters to show national monuments, excavation records, buildings of note etc. Wonderful feature.

Often look at that & try to match up things long gone that my father remembered his father telling him about- ways over rivers, roads which were there & gone now.
    My house is on the oldest map, here before the road which runs right beside my it (as in inches from my wall) The old road to the back street here came from the western side of the hill, no idea why they built one then running N/S but my ancestors cashed in on the 'frontage' & opened a shop with flour/tea etc.:D

• Advertisement

With heritagemaps.ie you can do that too and put on a million different filters to show national monuments, excavation records, buildings of note etc. Wonderful feature.

Also interesting looking at the townland names and boundaries. Where I am alot of the proper townland names don't feature in people's addresses. Replaced with either council general boundary areas or developer derived names.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

geohive is also linked to the buildingofireland website. Buildings of Ireland have publications by County, some can be download free online: https://www.buildingsofireland.ie/publications/

and you can check out the architects and builders on this one https://www.dia.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

The grandfathers place used to have a big old fireplace in the bedroom - I remember going to sleep on frosty nights in the winter where you could see your breath, and the shadow cast on the floor by the moonlight down the chimney...
    You weren't cold as you had plenty blankets on, you couldn't hardly move in the bed with the weight... :):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Rosahane

geohive is also linked to the buildingofireland website. Buildings of Ireland have publications by County, some can be download free online: https://www.buildingsofireland.ie/publications/

and you can check out the architects and builders on this one https://www.dia.ie/

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that site and I found the family business premises given as an example of "A simple, if tentative, exercise in the Modern movement" and also the house my Grandparents lived in!

Often look at that & try to match up things long gone that my father remembered his father telling him about- ways over rivers, roads which were there & gone now.
    My house is on the oldest map, here before the road which runs right beside my it (as in inches from my wall) The old road to the back street here came from the western side of the hill, no idea why they built one then running N/S but my ancestors cashed in on the 'frontage' & opened a shop with flour/tea etc.:D

Similar here. The very old roads are detailed in the 1778 Taylor & Skinner Ireland Road Map guide, contained in a single bound volume. It can be a little confusing to navigate but it shows old roads, towns, villages, bridges and big houses as they were back then. I think much of it is available online.

Quite a few of the roads around here were built long after the Taylor and Skinner guide. Some in the years leading up to the famine and then a whole load around the time of the famine.

Local Grand Jury (forerunners of Co. Councils) were empowered to raise money by means of county rates (also known as cess) to build new roads etc. The Grand Jury records of who built what roads and how the money was raised from landowners where new roads were being built or old ones repaired are available in local council archives afaik

Apparently its from these grand juries - that some wag coined the phrase 'ah sure it'll be grand' after some of the shenanigans and skullduggery that the various local grand juries got up. At least that was the usual joke about them ... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Similar here. The very old roads are detailed in the 1778 Taylor & Skinner Ireland Road Map guide, contained in a single bound volume. It can be a little confusing to navigate but it shows old roads, towns, villages, bridges and big houses as they were back then. I think much of it is available online.

Quite a few of the roads around here were built long after the Taylor and Skinner guide. Some in the years leading up to the famine and then a whole load around the time of the famine.

Local Grand Jury (forerunners of Co. Councils) were empowered to raise money by means of county rates (also known as cess) to build new roads etc. The Grand Jury records of who built what roads and how the money was raised from landowners where new roads were being built or old ones repaired are available in local council archives afaik

Apparently its from these grand juries - that some wag coined the phrase 'ah sure it'll be grand' after some of the shenanigans and skullduggery that the various local grand juries got up. At least that was the usual joke about them ... ;)
    Do you know how/why were some roads made follow field boundaries?
    You'll see some by roads and they follow the outline of the existing fields. You'll see roads take 90 degree turns following the ditches.

Did those landowners put money towards the road and the landowners that didn't, the road ploughed straight through the middle?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

... ;)

https://ia801608.us.archive.org/0/items/TaylorSkinnerMapsOfTheRoadsOfIrelandSurveyed1777/310MapsOfTheRoadsOfIrelandSurv1777.pdf

It takes a while to download, but can be zoomed in on. (from Trinity College Library)

Local Grand Jury (forerunners of Co. Councils) were empowered to raise money by means of county rates (also known as cess) to build new roads etc. The Grand Jury records of who built what roads and how the money was raised from landowners where new roads were being built or old ones repaired are available in local council archives afaik

This is the best site for Taylor and Skinner's map: https://www.swilson.info/tands1777.php

The Down Survey is great too http://downsurvey.tcd.ie/down-survey-maps.php You can see if your land was originally taken/stolen from some poor "papist" to give to Cromwell's pals all those years ago

This is the best site for Taylor and Skinner's map: https://www.swilson.info/tands1777.php

The Down Survey is great too http://downsurvey.tcd.ie/down-survey-maps.php You can see if your land was originally taken/stolen from some poor "papist" to give to Cromwell's pals all those years ago

On the Down Survey - I have previously overlaid one of the Downs maps with the first 6" OS map of the area. There is one townland boundary which perfectly alines on both and which today exists as a double Bank. Some of the length of this has been removed but for the most part it remains.

Interestingly the land wasn't taken from some "poor papist" rather a younger son of the local ruling Irish family. Sadly the parents, grandmother and young children (all listed by name) were ordered to remove themselves across the Shannon. And not given to a Cromwell supporter either. Rather a civil servant who had arrived under a previous administration prior to the 1641 rebellion. I'd say he was in for a rude shock on seeing his new possession
    - much of it poorly drained and of extremely heavy clay. Local tradition has it that the escheted land was cursed by the family after they had been dispossessed.

• Advertisement

On the Down Survey - I have previously overlaid one of the Downs maps with the first 6" OS map of the area. There is one townland boundary which perfectly alines on both and which today exists as a double Bank. Some of the length of this has been removed but for the most part it remains.

Interestingly the land wasn't taken from some "poor papist" rather a younger son of the local ruling Irish family. Sadly the parents, grandmother and young children (all listed by name) were ordered to remove themselves across the Shannon. And not given to a Cromwell supporter either. Rather a civil servant who had arrived under a previous administration prior to the 1641 rebellion. I'd say he was in for a rude shock on seeing his new pocession - much of it poorly drained and of extremely heavy clay. Local tradition has it that the escheted land was cursed by the family after they had been dispossessed.

I spent hours last night looking at them maps. Gas the way the spellings are slightly different for place names on the older maps to now.

Advertisement