Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History on the Farm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

I once found a cannonball in a plowed field here The farm was once owned by a family with strong republican links during the civil war one of which was blown up by the free state forces at the ballyseedy massacre near tralee. Lots of stories about things that happened around that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,638 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I visited Grange Castle today(near Clondalkin) and its been restored by Dublin CC in recent years. The info board had lovely photos from the 70's when the house and lands were still a working farm. Took me back it did seeing all the old machinery on these mixed farms with cattle, pigs, veg etc. all produced free range and near organic next to each other :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i found skeletons on the land when digging at a hill i thought might have gravel , id love to know more about them , what would you lads do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i found skeletons on the land when digging at a hill i thought might have gravel , id love to know more about them , what would you lads do.
    What type of skeletons - If human like you need to contact your local Garda station. The Garda need to view the site and if they are historic, they will ask other institutions to look at the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,119 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

How many?

• Advertisement

yes human of course, i was digging at side of a mound and they were just barely under the surface , there were 3 just left at differnent angles not buried properly, this area didnt suffer much in famine i think so could be form earlier, no grave marked on any os maps even 1820 one, i think mass was said thier during penal laws could be a massacre from then or cromwellian times.

yes human of course, i was digging at side of a mound and they were just barely under the surface , there were 3 just left at differnent angles not buried properly, this area didnt suffer much in famine i think so could be form earlier, no grave marked on any os maps even 1820 one, i think mass was said thier during penal laws could be a massacre from then or cromwellian times.

Did you tell anyone else?

If so what was their reaction?

there probably a good few there like i spotted 3 straight away all very close to each other as if thrown on a heap and covered over, just 2 ft down at most unfortunatly i badly damaged one corpse with the bucket of digger, but the others were ok. theres probably a lot there. i ahve a feeling it wasnt famine but from earlier like i say the mass rock is thier in field from penal times, one story was there was a timber church thier in 16th century , in 1649 cromwells soldiers passed through and burnt it, could have been a massacre from then maybe, then in penal times people said mass on that site to rememeber the dead . i dont know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Jaysus that's mad. I'd be calling the Gardai straight away no matter how old they look.

didnt tell anyone bar my father , who wasnt overly pushed either way. but i think i will plant a tree on the mound maybe a cherry blossom and but a litte playue and put an iron railing around it something nice like that, they were people just like me and you at one time so they desrve more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

there probably a good few there like i spotted 3 straight away all very close to each other as if thrown on a heap and covered over, just 2 ft down at most unfortunatly i badly damaged one corpse with the bucket of digger, but the others were ok. theres probably a lot there. i ahve a feeling it wasnt famine but from earlier like i say the mass rock is thier in field from penal times, one story was there was a timber church thier in 16th century , in 1649 cromwells soldiers passed through and burnt it, could have been a massacre from then maybe, then in penal times people said mass on that site to rememeber the dead . i dont know.

Would probably be best to inform the authorities with the upmost urgency.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

didnt tell anyone bar my father , who wasnt overly pushed either way. but i think i will plant a tree on the mound maybe a cherry blossom and but a litte playue and put an iron railing around it something nice like that, they were people just like me and you at one time so they desrve more.

You could be sitting on an important historical find. Chat to your local historical society. I'd certainly involve the authorities as well. It could be very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I really think you should contact your local Garda station and tell them. It may not amount to anything other than historic graves but on the other hand it may.

Eh no.

Contact the Gardai first thing tomorrow and explain the whole thing and where you found the remains.

There's missing person files unanswered in this country and how do you know yourself as to when these were buried.
    If it did happen to be a missing person it would give the family great peace.

You won't loose face by contacting the Gardai. In fact it's the proper thing to do.
    And if these are historical remains from hundreds of years ago there's other officials will deal with them.

In no way is it up to you to decide on what happens those remains.

I don't want to be patronizing but do the right thing and contact the Gardai tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Melodeon

You could be sitting on an important historical find.

It could also be a crime scene!
    There are lots of unresolved missing persons cases going back decades.
    This MUST be notified to the Gardai immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I know a Guard and once he had someone contact him, about old skeletal remains they had found. He contacted the relevant body (no pun intended) in Ireland. They didn't want to know. He had to take a shovel and bury the remains himself where they were found.
    The reality is the country is full of old skeletal remains. Still better to report it though.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

The fact that the bodies don't seem to have been properly buried and buried together might suggest they might have died from plague or similar in bad times or perhaps in a battle or skirmish. As others have suggested you should get in touch with the proper authorities and have it looked at.

ok this was about 8 years ago just thought ii would put it out there cause i was really intreseted t find out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭Markcheese

It's pretty unlikely to be anyway modern ... But it's still worth getting someone out , even if it's just someone who dates the site ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Jb1989

If you have a need for that particular field for the next while, I'd be slow to inform any authorities, possibly bring needless hassle to you.
    If you don't need field, then option is what ever you choose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

You are obliged to inform the Gardai, for your own sake if nothing else. What if it was a crime scene and it is discovered later and there evidence you were poking around at it, and you discovered the bodies and then hid them again?

Hot water bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

NcdJd wrote: »
    Hot water bottle.

Fancy one too. They often had a cork/rubber stopper.

Seems to have holes for a handle of sometype.

gozunda wrote: »
    Fancy one too. They often had a cork/rubber stopper.

Seems to have holes for a handle of sometype.

Bourne Denby, England. I think there was a handle on it. Another bit of junk to hoard away in the shed ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Not a piece of physical history you can touch. Rather a very interesting account of Hay making before mechanisation

The fellows who cut the Hay. By Jack Hargreaves (20 min)

Well worth listening to ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

the mothers house was bought from a man who was fond of whiskey, I've found several vintage naggin bottles in the front yard

A friend found a old colt pistol once. probably from a dump from his grandfathers RA days, another lad has an enfield rifle from the same period

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Plently lads in unmarked graves from the tan and civil war as well, I'd be letting the gardai know, if its recent its a job for them, if it's historic its a job for the archeologists

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Plently lads in unmarked graves from the tan and civil war as well, I'd be letting the gardai know, if its recent its a job for them, if it's historic its a job for the archeologists

I've often wondered how there aren't more human remains discovered considering the countless wars fought on the island not to mind a famine also. I'm sketchy on details but maybe 20 odd years ago was there an appeal from the relatives of Black and Tans whose remains were never returned to have them repatriated? They were hoping local knowledge had survived down the generations as to there location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

532644.jpg
    Hot water bottle here with stopper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

532674.jpg
    Guinness bottle made from similar material.

Inscription reads;

GUINNESS.S.XX
    ATRHUR,MG,MAHON

Advertisement