Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meta Quest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It does. Took me a good bit of faffing. You need to kill the three oculus processes in task manager then launch the game exe manually by right clicking the virtual desktop icon in the system tray. Then you can toggle on VR from the in game menu and it will use SteamVR.

Oh cool! Hopefully I can get Trover working this way again.. it used to work perfectly via VD but then a later update meant all Epic games stopped even when I selected SteamVR

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭maik3n

Looking to playback some 8K youtube videos on my quest 2.

Is there anyway to cast/stream from PC like you can with skybox airscreen
    http://skybox.xyz/en/support/how-to-use-airscreen/
    Skybox vr player only supports 4k video from what I can see.

Is there any alternative app or am I stuck with connecting up my quest and pc through usb cable then manually copying the video files? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

maik3n wrote: »
    Looking to playback some 8K youtube videos on my quest 2.

Is there anyway to cast/stream from PC like you can with skybox airscreen
    http://skybox.xyz/en/support/how-to-use-airscreen/
    Skybox vr player only supports 4k video from what I can see.

Is there any alternative app or am I stuck with connecting up my quest and pc through usb cable then manually copying the video files? :confused:

Either the browser or the YouTube app lets you play 8k videos. I think the browser does.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭maik3n

Probes wrote: »
    Either the browser or the YouTube app lets you play 8k videos. I think the browser does.
    Have tried that alright but have found it somewhat unreliable.

Would prefer to cast/stream the raw video file somehow.

It looks as though such a feature isn't available yet on the quest 2.
    http://support.oculus.com/267684857518882/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Just a heads up for everyone thinking of buying an elite strap. I had an elite battery strap and case on order from Oculus and I got an email last night saying they can't fulfil my order in the original timeframe promised as they are investigating the cracking issues. I was given the option to contact support to keep my order in place, until they sort things out or they will cancel it.

So I would avoid buying an elite strap from any shops or Amazon or where ever right now, until Oculus sorts out the issue.

• Advertisement

The got rid of Oculus Gallery which was a fantastic video player... hopefully it's possible to sideload it later

wes wrote: »
    Just a heads up for everyone thinking of buying an elite strap. I had an elite battery strap and case on order from Oculus and I got an email last night saying they can't fulfil my order in the original timeframe promised as they are investigating the cracking issues. I was given the option to contact support to keep my order in place, until they sort things out or they will cancel it.

So I would avoid buying an elite strap from any shops or Amazon or where ever right now, until Oculus sorts out the issue.

Indeed, and even when they issue a new one I'd say just wait to see what people say if the problems still exist before ordering

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

maik3n wrote: »
    Have tried that alright but have found it somewhat unreliable.

Would prefer to cast/stream the raw video file somehow.

It looks as though such a feature isn't available yet on the quest 2.
    http://support.oculus.com/267684857518882/

Fair enough, 8k was working fine on YouTube for me and showed a big improvement in quality over 1080p or 4K. I think the compression artifacts are far more noticeable on the Quest which is why the higher encode rates seem to improve the picture quality so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Completely new to VR and loving this so far - SUPERR HHOT :)

Just wondering about getting a different a different 'facial interface'. The best/least blurry vision I get is when I manually pull the bottom of the visor away from nose, like tilting it up towards towards my forehead. Obv this can't work in game and lets a load of light in at the bottom, just wondering what I should be looking for in a new pad if anyone knows?

I reserved the official pack in argos there just in case that will sort me but don't want to get it if it won't work. Not sure if the above is clear also, I'm guessing I have what the doctors call 'a fat head'.

Mucashinto wrote: »
    Completely new to VR and loving this so far - SUPERR HHOT :)

Just wondering about getting a different a different 'facial interface'. The best/least blurry vision I get is when I manually pull the bottom of the visor away from nose, like tilting it up towards towards my forehead. Obv this can't work in game and lets a load of light in at the bottom, just wondering what I should be looking for in a new pad if anyone knows?

I reserved the official pack in argos there just in case that will sort me but don't want to get it if it won't work. Not sure if the above is clear also, I'm guessing I have what the doctors call 'a fat head'.

I haven't tried this yet, but apparently the glasses spacer supposedly makes everything clearer and may even solve some of the issues you're having with the visor positioning... even if you don't wear glasses.

My box is in the attic, with the spacer in it, and I can't be arsed digging it out again to test :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

I was actually thinking of that glasses spacer, might be all I need alright, will try it tonight.

Was talking to a lad in work - appararently you can get 'blue movies' on these things :eek:

Ah stop the lights, seriously though it's been some craic so far. Hundred dollar bills, hundred dollar bills...:pac::pac::D

Was talking to a lad in work - appararently you can get 'blue movies' on these things :eek:

why'dya think they added hand tracking? No point getting your controllers grubby :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I was actually thinking of that glasses spacer, might be all I need alright, will try it tonight.

Ah stop the lights, seriously though it's been some craic so far. Hundred dollar bills, hundred dollar bills...:pac::pac::D

I wear glasses and use the spacer which also works fine for the kids who don't wear glasses. Head strap is a bit of a pain though as you need to adjust it for different people.

Loving beat sabre, any recommendations for another good game with some physical activity?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭bullpost

smacl wrote: »
    I wear glasses and use the spacer which also works fine for the kids who don't wear glasses. Head strap is a bit of a pain though as you need to adjust it for different people.

Loving beat sabre, any recommendations for another good game with some physical activity?

Try the "journey of the Gods" demo. Not heavy duty physicality but the kids will probably love the graphics and using the sword and crossbow is great fun.
    Its a Legend of Zelda type game.

In Death has great bow mechanics, and a surprising workout on the arms and shoulders.

If you're after something similar to Beat Saber then go for Synth Riders.

Pistol Whip is also excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I just added a Vive deluxe audio headset to mine as a replacement, if nothing else it will help with the multiple user adjustment as you just turn a dial on the back of the headset, no fiddling with multiple clips.
    Adding to other recommendations Audio Shield is a decent beat/swipe alternative, on the max fitness setting it's insane. Also moving more towards the fit side FitXr is still pretty fun, same basic idea, hit the coloured objects in the right direction, it is more intense though - relies more on movement than throwing curve-balls with direction.

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    I just added a Vive deluxe audio headset to mine as a replacement, if nothing else it will help with the multiple user adjustment as you just turn a dial on the back of the headset, no fiddling with multiple clips.
    Adding to other recommendations Audio Shield is a decent beat/swipe alternative, on the max fitness setting it's insane. Also moving more towards the fit side FitXr is still pretty fun, same basic idea, hit the coloured objects in the right direction, it is more intense though - relies more on movement than throwing curve-balls with direction.

How are you finding the Deluxe audio strap? Where is the weight distributed now? Any tightness on the back of the head?

It's great. For now just using Velcro on the side panels and some truly ghetto cable-tie based center strap grip and D-ring (snipped so you can't really see them) but it's easy to fit and tight without being uncomfortable. Some initial pressure for a few minutes as I like to set it pretty tight and then I can't feel it at all. I gave it a good run tonight with an hour of super-sweaty Beat Saber, Pistol Whip and and 'Intense' grade 15 min FitXR session and it never budged, and zero ache from it afterwards. The audio upgrade is nice too, not as good as a decent pair of over-ears but much more convenient and a huge improvement over the stock unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭bullpost

Do Oculus do good deals on games for Black Friday? I'm looking at getting one or two more but might hold off until then if they go on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

bullpost wrote: »
    Do Oculus do good deals on games for Black Friday? I'm looking at getting one or two more but might hold off until then if they go on sale.

I'm also waiting on this.

However, last years deals were criticized. It was heavily "pack-based". That might suit the likes of me, as a first time buyer, but I don't think I would be jumping at last years deals.

One would need to be lucky in being interested in all of the games featuring in a particular pack.

• Advertisement

bullpost wrote: »

Should do, but don't expect to get too much off... 25% off is an "amazing deal" for example

It's like the Nintendo Switch in terms of sale prices being on par with normal prices on Steam or Epic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭Glebee

I dont suppose theres going to be any deals coming up soon on the Quest? Might just pull the trigger and buy.

Glebee wrote: »
    I dont suppose theres going to be any deals coming up soon on the Quest? Might just pull the trigger and buy.

Nah, they're already selling them at a loss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

VR Covers offerings went on sale today. Picked up both variations to test them out.

VR Covers offerings went on sale today. Picked up both variations to test them out.

sold out already... 14 mins after you posted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Was about to order, but the facial interface cover is not available yet.

They seem to be adding some dynamically. A moment ago they showed out of stock, and one refresh later I was able to order 2 silicone units, now the cloth is showing one available.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Can anyone who uses their quest with their PC to play games (via link or Virtual Desktop) gimme an idea of CPU, GPU, Ram you are running and how well it gets on. Planning to head over to the building forum in the next weekish with a list for them to pick apart :)

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Can anyone who uses their quest with their PC to play games (via link or Virtual Desktop) gimme an idea of CPU, GPU, Ram you are running and how well it gets on. Planning to head over to the building forum in the next weekish with a list for them to pick apart :)

I'm using a gaming laptop so probably wouldn't be much help but here you go...

2.8GHz Core i7 7700HQ
    16GB RAM
    256GB SSD + 1TB HDD
    GeForce 8GB GTX 1070

works like a dream

• Advertisement

ShooterSF wrote: »

CPU: 3900x
    GPU: 2080ti
    RAM: 32GB
    STORAGE: All SSD

No issues, probably the most complex I've run from the PC is HL:Alyx on ultra.

Advertisement