Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei P20/P20 Pro

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Hi

I'm looking at getting a P20 Lite off Amazon - I tend not to spend much on phones since I go through them at a decent rate.

Any thoughts in here on what they're like?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sesame

I've got a couple of quotes for my P20 Pro screen repair. €250 and €260. Why is it so expensive and does anyone know a cheaper way? I can't see who would spend that on it . Maybe time to upgrade but its only 18 months old and I normally wear phones out after 3 or 4 years. I loved this one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Equium

Sesame wrote: »
    I've got a couple of quotes for my P20 Pro screen repair. €250 and €260. Why is it so expensive and does anyone know a cheaper way? I can't see who would spend that on it . Maybe time to upgrade but its only 18 months old and I normally wear phones out after 3 or 4 years. I loved this one too.

That's about the standard price, unfortunately. Just buying the spare part from Huawei will set you back €178. I dropped my P20 Pro on a concrete floor and shattered the back panel last year. Thankfully that is much cheaper to repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sesame

Thanks, thats putting me off buying a newer version if they are that price to repair. Its mainly the camera that I really appreciated, it is (was!) incredible. I can't see an good aleternative. Maybe I'll look for a secondhand replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

Sesame wrote: »

It's the screen technology. Any phone with an OLED screen is going to the much more expensive than an LCD. I worked as a phone repair technician for 3 years and can tell you that any phone with an OLED screen, especially Samsung, ain't cheap to replace..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

No update.
    But I've noticed the the last couple days , everything slower/lagging. Don't know if it's the phone it's self or the network on the phone. Voda ... Everyone in the house has iPhone no problems with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Equium

Out of interest, which phones have people updated to from the P20 pro?

I'm due an update next month and nothing is jumping out at me. This phone is by far the best I have ever had and it almost seems a shame to swap it for something else. I am considering the Samsung S20/S20+ but they are rather expensive for an upgrade from Vodafone, whilst naturally there are major reservations about buying the P40 Pro. I had a Xiaomi Mi5s and would probably never go back to them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

I went to the OnePlus 7t and for me it is much better than the p20 pro.

The 90hz screen is good and also the software is just so much better and really fast android updates unlike hauwei!

Also the bootloader can be unlocked so there will be user community driven ROMs for years to come again unlike hauwei.

It's only €419 delivered on three.ie at the moment and comes fully unlocked and also dual SIM.

To me the camera on the 7t is as good or even better than the p20 pro and the ultrawide, macro and video features on the 7t are all very good to have and are better than the p20 pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Just FYI, I used HI suite to roll back to 9.1 and that seems to have sorted my performance issues. The backup and restore process took ages, but I'm happier on 9.1 and would not recommend accepting the update to 10 on the basis of my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Sincu updating to emui 10 when I send a picture not at least try in WhatsApp I get a message saying 'The file format is not supported'

Not liking this update..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

keano25 wrote: »
    Sincu updating to emui 10 when I send a picture not at least try in WhatsApp I get a message saying 'The file format is not supported'

Not liking this update..

I got the advertisement today. Any big differences?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

I got the advertisement today. Any big differences?

Your battery won't last as long 😔

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭monster1

Updated yesterday. Phone is very very laggy, and freezing. Seems to be using a lot more ram too. Not liking it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

So it updated last night was I was snoozing.

Liking the dark mode and slimmed down design. Battery life on the other hand is suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Emui 10 has killed my battery

keano25 wrote: »
    Emui 10 has killed my battery

Really wow.. Is it draining to quickly?
    still no update on mine. Don't know if to be glad or not. Though I'm due an upgrade been thinking to carry on with Huawei P30Pro or go to OnePlus!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Massive battery drain with new update. Incidentally can anyone recommend a wallet case (even if its a case with slot for cc) that doesn't obscure the back camera when folded out to expose the screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Horrendous battery now ,

I was looking for a p40 for my next upGrade might jump at something else this week , with the new battery drain issue

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I'm having issues with my notifications when phone locked. Normally I'd see preview ie whapsapp or email saying who its from but its disappearing just as i go to look.

And battery too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Slattsy wrote: »
    I'm having issues with my notifications when phone locked. Normally I'd see preview ie whapsapp or email saying who its from but its disappearing just as i go to look.

I'm getting this problem as well along with other small annoying things.

I'm assuming it's impossible to downgrade from this update?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

boombang wrote: »
    Just FYI, I used HI suite to roll back to 9.1 and that seems to have sorted my performance issues. The backup and restore process took ages, but I'm happier on 9.1 and would not recommend accepting the update to 10 on the basis of my experience.

Ah I see this post now. Ignore my previous post

Just my update. So far I'm liking it. I'll see how the battery goes .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I'm getting this problem as well along with other small annoying things.

I'm assuming it's impossible to downgrade from this update?

No, you can roll back to 9.1 using Hi Suite. It takes some time. The problem is that the phone then nags you with notifications to update. I couldn't turn these off and ended up accepting the invite to update again by accident. Very annoying.

Edit: just saw your other post. Decided to leave this up anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭rameire

I have not updated but have received the messages to update for over a week.
    I am noticing that the battery is not lasting as long even though I have not accepted or updated to Android 10.
    I did notice a security update that installed automatically around the same time that Android 10 starting to pop up.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭dinevalesco

glossy wrote: »
    Just my update. So far I'm liking it. I'll see how the battery goes .

What network are you on?

What network are you on?

VF .
    Battery been good, Must actually say improved.
    Phone not lagging like it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

How are Vodafone rolling this out? I would have thought everyone gets it at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Got the update over the weekend, liking it so far, battery might be a little better than before, although google maps is dire since!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭rameire

Still not updated here.
    it is available for me but am refusing it every day. On VF.
    so after a month of it being available, what are peoples opinions now?
    Are things better?
    is the battery better after things have bedded in?

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I've found chrome freezing a lot since update

Advertisement