Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The one and only refund thread [READ MOD NOTE BEFORE POSTING]!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

RickBlaine wrote: »
    I clicked the button from the email to accept a Ryanair voucher. What happens then? Do I get another email with the voucher number? Have people received that fairly quickly?
    No need to do anything.
    You can go ahead and book a flight, and in the payment screen you paste the voucher number (same as per the first email that you received).

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭spoonerhead

Maybe this will help others:

I’ve booked flights and accommodation for a trip to Amsterdam for last weekend. My flights where cancelled by Ryanair first, so we got that confirmation. We emailed the hotel who where absolutely awful to deal with and asked us if we wanted our dates moved however that’s all that can be done. €1k on the line so I called PTSB as I booked through my credit card, asked to have it disputed. Within 3 days the money was back on my credit card and I’ve now got a letter on day 15 stating all is settled on their own side too. Really great experience with my bank!

with Ryanair it’s now impossible to claim a direct refund, they’ll lead you through pages of crap on how to claim and use their offered voucher! (Their CEO has also been mouthing sayings it’s 1 year for refunds I hear?)

Anyways, if you want clear action this might be the way to go. Just a few quick ones though, transaction date usually has to be within 120 days for PTSB to be able to dispute. Also as the lovely service agent explained the backlog is growing due to the influx of people the last few weeks, so might take up to 30 days in some cases.

Just know your dates when you tried to get a refund and the chargeback is the best way to get sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭limabromac

RickBlaine wrote: »
    I clicked the button from the email to accept a Ryanair voucher. What happens then? Do I get another email with the voucher number? Have people received that fairly quickly?

The voucher code is included in your email... Just copy and paste it into your new flight payment...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭paddy19

Anyways, if you want clear action this might be the way to go. Just a few quick ones though, transaction date usually has to be within 120 days for PTSB to be able to dispute. Also as the lovely service agent explained the backlog is growing due to the influx of people the last few weeks, so might take up to 30 days in some cases.

Just know your dates when you tried to get a refund and the chargeback is the best way to get sorted!

Great feedback spoonerhead.

Just one clarification:
    In this case the 120 day limit is from the date the service was not delivered.
    Otherwise if you booked more than 120 days in advance you couldn't get a chargeback.

I had to check i didn't write this - exact same position with Ryanair and Multitrip too

Will 100% rethink about using Multiitrip again. Whats the point of them. They even have a notice on their website before you even make an inquiry that not covered for Covid related claims!?!?

One could be cynical and think that insurance companies are like the airlines, no problem taking your money but a marked reluctance to giving it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,968 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Forget about it and initiate a chargeback.

3 times Aer Lingus promised a refund within 7 days (or 3 - 5 days) - never happened.

Submitted a chargeback (BOI Credit) - refund within 7 days.
    Does this work for any bank?
    I am with ptsb.
    Waiting for a refund for 9 weeks with aerlingus

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭RickBlaine

otnomart wrote: »
    No need to do anything.
    You can go ahead and book a flight, and in the payment screen you paste the voucher number (same as per the first email that you received).
    limabromac wrote: »
    The voucher code is included in your email... Just copy and paste it into your new flight payment...

Thanks! No idea how I managed to miss that! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Final update on my cancellation with Vueling, got the money back on my credit card this week, much faster than the supposed "8 weeks". Not completely flawless as a process but definitely smoother than a lot of others I've heard of here.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

michellie wrote: »
    Aerlingus cancelled my flight yesterday for travel on the 24th June.

I just rang them because the website and app doesn't allow me to do anything with my booking to try get a refund. The email only gave an option to apply for a voucher or reschedule.

I was on hold for about 5 minutes, got through to a guy called Dennis who told me he would process my refund and it would be back in the account within 7 days... I'm sceptical.

Ryanair cancelled my July 8th flight on May 20th. I applied for the refund that day. A few days later I contacted the online chat to confirm I am in the refund queue and not the voucher queue. The agent said I was in the refund queue. Still waiting to hear more from them.

Could I ask where in the world you were travelling to ?
    Im just trying to get my head around Aer Lingus policy here
    When could we expect notice of cancellation
    We were due to travel to Spain on 6th july and terrified that Aer Lingus will say its business as usual and our €1100 will be down the jax as we have no intention of travelling with our 2 kids as i'm absolutely certain that if we did travel and caught something the insurance company would be the first to say you should not have travelled

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

gmisk wrote: »
    Does this work for any bank?
    I am with ptsb.
    Waiting for a refund for 9 weeks with aerlingus

Yes, pretty much.

• Advertisement

Could I ask where in the world you were travelling to ?
    Im just trying to get my head around Aer Lingus policy here
    When could we expect notice of cancellation
    We were due to travel to Spain on 6th july and terrified that Aer Lingus will say its business as usual and our €1100 will be down the jax as we have no intention of travelling with our 2 kids as i'm absolutely certain that if we did travel and caught something the insurance company would be the first to say you should not have travelled

This is best described as a Mexican stand off.
    Aer Lingus can leave it really late to cancel.
    The good news is that AL have no change fees for all travel
    up to 30 September 2020 which gives you options.

This is a great offer because it allows you, if required, to move your booking
    to a flight that is very unlikely to fly.
    You can actually change flights up to two hours before take off.
    Obviously I would not leave it that tight.

see #711
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058073699&page=48

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭spoonerhead

paddy19 wrote: »
    Great feedback spoonerhead.

Just one clarification:
    In this case the 120 day limit is from the date the service was not delivered.
    Otherwise if you booked more than 120 days in advance you couldn't get a chargeback.

From PTSBs side it’s 120 days from when the payment was made. All my bookings where from February so they fell inside that window. Not sure what their policy is for payments made outside that window.

From PTSBs side it’s 120 days from when the payment was made. All my bookings where from February so they fell inside that window. Not sure what their policy is for payments made outside that window.

PTSB are looking at standard transactions.
    Neither VISA nor Mastercard have a 120 day limit from the payment date for future services.

If this were the case it would effectively eliminate chargeback on any long term bookings like airline tickets or concerts.

The 120 days starts when the event/service should have been delivered.

I contacted Visa international at the start of all this as AIB wouldn't accept my dispute as they said the govt and visa international had put a stop to AIB initiating chargebacks...( turned out to be a false statement by AIB). ...

anyway, visa international said that a dispute was allowed in cases like this because you would have booked in advance for a flight or a festival for example and when the flight gets cancelled that is the first day that is counted as a chargeback allowance ( not when you purchased but when the event date is happening and is cancelled)

So the 120 days starts from the date the even has cancelled rather from the date you purchased your event tickets....

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

paddy19 wrote: »
    This is best described as a Mexican stand off.
    Aer Lingus can leave it really late to cancel.
    The good news is that AL have no change fees for all travel
    up to 30 September 2020 which gives you options.

This is a great offer because it allows you, if required, to move your booking
    to a flight that is very unlikely to fly.
    You can actually change flights up to two hours before take off.
    Obviously I would not leave it that tight.

see #711
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058073699&page=48
    Thanks for the reply Paddy
    Sounds awful complicated and I feel an aneurysm coming on not helped by the useless caretaker gov changing restriction plans on the fly ( pardon the pun )
    under the original plan we are so far from the airport that the restrictions would have prevented us travelling to the airport
    I'm thinking as we purchased the insurance before any mention of Covid
    if I were unfortunate enough to develop symptoms would they pay up?

I'm absolutely fuming about the cluster fcuk that this whole thing is and about having to be as devious as the airlines and insurance companies in order not to loose my very hard earned cash

• Registered Users Posts: 31,968 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Opened my chargeback from aerlingus with PTSB....should know in about 30 days, I will report back

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Can I just ask on the AL change of flight, can you change it to any new booking or just to same airport a different time?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Just received voucher email from Ryanair. Currently in a q for customer service to request refund

Still in the q! I think I am anyway

Beginning to think maybe I am not in a q.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

km79 wrote: »
    Just received voucher email from Ryanair. Currently in a q for customer service to request refund
    How long does the voucher take to come?

How long does the voucher take to come?

I applied for refund on May 18th

pc7 wrote: »
    Can I just ask on the AL change of flight, can you change it to any new booking
    or just to same airport a different time?

This is what AL say:
    "Book With Peace Of Mind

So don't worry if your travel plans are changing - we're waiving our change fees to give you choice and flexibility.

https://www.aerlingus.com/plan-and-book/plan/book-with-peace-of-mind/

You'd expect that if it was limited to date and time they would have to say that.
    Saying "give you choice and flexibility" certainly does not sound like no route changes.

In the T&C's it states:

"Changes permitted from same country of origin only"

https://www.aerlingus.com/localized/en/modals/mob-fare-rules.html

My read of this is that you can change the destination to any airport with direct flight
    from the same country of origin as the original booking. They may have built in some
    restrictions in the software to limit EU v International. No way of knowing except by trying.

You could see what is allows by using the change process without actually pushing the final button.
    Not guaranteed since it can give you an error for the final jump.

I can confirm that the refund is for the original invoiced amount.

Beginning to think maybe I am not in a q.......

After 2 hours I closed window as I had done something wrong. I am now back in the same bloody spot! The bot has asked if I want to start chat with agent. I clicked yes and am on the same page with "Please stay connected. You are in a queue for the next available Customer Care agent.
    We are currently experiencing a high volumes of contacts from customers and acknowledge the wait times are longer than usual, please bear with us and we will help you with your query."
    I was on that page for 2 hours already
    sigh

Thanks for the reply Paddy
    Sounds awful complicated and I feel an aneurysm coming on not helped by the useless caretaker gov changing restriction plans on the fly ( pardon the pun )
    under the original plan we are so far from the airport that the restrictions would have prevented us travelling to the airport
    I'm thinking as we purchased the insurance before any mention of Covid
    if I were unfortunate enough to develop symptoms would they pay up?

I'm absolutely fuming about the cluster fcuk that this whole thing is and about having to be as devious as the airlines and insurance companies in order not to loose my very hard earned cash

I agree a decent airline would allow passengers to cancel when you have to break the law to fly.

I made the process sound complicated:
    1. Check if flight is flying two days before on flight status.
    If it's not on flight status and no flight within 2 hours, happy days, request refund.
    2. If it is flying.
    Change to any flight to any destination that looks like it will be cancelled before 30 Sept.

Repeat until you book a cancelled flight.

Request refund!

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

@kM79.

I’m getting confused with Ryanair’s deliberate dodging and diving
    -) 2 weeks ago I applied for a cash refund . I got no reply or confirmation that I’d requested a refund . In the lack of trust with Ryanair I didn’t think they would honor it .
    -) low and behold yesterday I received a voucher and a click here if I want to ask for a cash refund .

I think Ryanair will get probably 6 months to a year out of this . If only we had a regulatory body to protect us from this 😑

That is before solicitors letters start .

@kM79.

I’m getting confused with Ryanair’s deliberate dodging and diving
    -) 2 weeks ago I applied for a cash refund . I got no reply or confirmation that I’d requested a refund . I’m the lack of trust with Ryanair I didn’t think they would honor it .
    -) low and behold yesterday I received a voucher and a click here if I want to ask for a cash refund .

I think Ryanair will get probably 6momths to a year out of this . If only we had a regulatory body to protect us from this ��

Did you get anywhere when you clicked i want to ask for cash refund. I keep getting the bot and no sign of an agent

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Thanks Paddy, I’ll try site again I couldn’t seem to do anything!

Did you get anywhere when you clicked i want to ask for cash refund. I keep getting the bot and no sign of an agent

I always found that it's good to try them early in the morning...I think they open at 6am...if you were an early riser it could be a good idea to get in the queue then... Facebook also have a link to contact them directly...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

limabromac wrote: »
    I always found that it's good to try them early in the morning...I think they open at 6am...if you were an early riser it could be a good idea to get in the queue then... Facebook also have a link to contact them directly...

That bot page is not interactive at all. I think it’s just a dead link . So far I’ve typed lionel riche “ hello “ and Tiffany’s I think we’re alone now and not a sniff out of them
    Tomorrow maybe

Advertisement