Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Now ye're talking - to a survivor of child abuse

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

You sound amazing.
    Love to you and your wife and sincere thank you for helping to bring down a veil of secrecy that still exists in Ireland.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Kersh

Apologies for delays! Ill reply to latest posts when I open my laptop later :)

It churned my blood to read that the judge said "Now Mr Doolan, the best I can do for you is 12 years". I swear to God if I was in your position I would have stood up and let loose at the judge. This man is after being convicted of 38 counts of rape and abuse and he's treating him like a friend? Fvck that.

Fair play to you Kersh for coming through it and doing this AMA.

Well, my uncle writes law books and was a barrister himself, and is of similar age.

But really, in there, its cold, calculating and I thought it much of a game to the prosecuting side. In the way the questions were put and the prosecuting barristers posturing whilst asking. I think he actually enjoyed trying to ask as many questions as possible that elicited a "no" answer from me.

At one point, regarding a particular door being open, I said at one stage I didnt know if it was open, and later on he said "sure earlier you said it was closed" to which I replied "no, I said I didnt know". Always trying it on.

One thing I will add, was that the Gardai in Terenure were absolutely brilliant in their handling of my situation and the case in general. They came in to One in Four for the statements, and were fully trained in dealing with these types of cases.

+1.
    I wish that had been publicised widely at the time and that he was put through the wringer for that despicable comment.

I read in a recent case where a little girl asked her mam was she the one in the wrong after her abuser was convicted because a lot of the wider family sided with the abuser, and no longer spoke to her or her parents. Heartbreaking.

Fair play to you OP, for coming through all of this and thanks for doing the AMA.

Yes I think that happens in a few cases that some side with the abuser. Difficult to comprehend that one.

You sound amazing.
    Love to you and your wife and sincere thank you for helping to bring down a veil of secrecy that still exists in Ireland.

Thank you :)

Yes I think its slowly being dragged out into the open. I think the key is for more victims to just try and put aside what people think, and name as many abusers as possible.

But then thats easy for me to say since Im here doing an AMA after being on Marion Finnucane, in the papers and talking to 300 odd people in the Mansion House. But hey, If I think I can do it, I will :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Kersh wrote: »
    Well, my uncle writes law books and was a barrister himself, and is of similar age.

Not to knock your post but if I was in the judge's position I would be horrified to have those associations with someone after they were convicted of even 1 count, let alone 38.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

I want to say a heartfelt thank you to Stephen for coming on here and being so open about his experiences with us all. It's been an eye-opening experience. Thank you so much for offering and for taking the time to do this Stephen. We wish you all the very best in the future.

If anyone has been affected by any of the issues mentioned in the thread, please do contact One in Four or your nearest Rape Crisis Centre for help.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement