Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TDs have voted to make it compulsory to stand during the Dail prayer

• 04-05-2017 2:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭

https://www.thejournal.ie/dail-prayer-4-3372533-May2017/

Backwards we go...How is this even conceivable, we have the #TechCork17 summit taking place while these mopes vote to stay in the stone age.... :(

Do you agree with making all TDs stand for prayer? 46 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 46 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,148 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Approaching 3pm....yup its time for boards anti-catholic thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

What I like about this and it sums up the public sector to a t is this - whereas they previously wasted time on just a prayer now they'll waste more of it with the additional pause for reflection malarkey. Suits them I'd say, before they retire to the bar for the serious business of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Cervantes2

That would be an ecumenical matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

pjohnson wrote: »

It's not an anti-catholic rant, it's an anti-stupidity rant. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

How is it even legal to force people to perform a religious act before work?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

ScumLord wrote: »

Isn't it better than a sexual act?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,703 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Nobody's forced. Members don't have to attend for prayers. If you choose to attend, you're expected to stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭techdiver

There are no words!.... :mad::mad::mad:

Isn't it better than a sexual act?

I dunno that might make things more appealing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Standing?

• Advertisement

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Nobody's forced. Members don't have to attend for prayers. If you choose to attend, you're expected to stand.
    It's compulsory to stand according to the OP. So either stay out or prey?

What happens if you refuse to stand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Pity that it's not compulsory that members actually turn up ...AND stay around after signing in !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Dont see a problem, dont want a quick prayer before work starts, then they out before the order of business begins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

What really worries me here is the numbers it won by 97 votes to 17, with 19 abstentions. So its not like it just scraped through, a vast majority of our public representatives voted to dedicate time to a load of bolloxology. What the proper f**k like :mad:

In a time when the church and state needs to be separated more, the Dáil takes a retrograde steps of copper fastening the fact the Ireland is still "catholic" and **** anyone else.

Is there a list of deputies that voted for/against this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Chester Copperpot

Dont see a problem, dont want a quick prayer before work starts, then they out before the order of business begins.

Problem is that they are firmly involving religious practice with an institution of the state. Should be completely separate. Religious practice should be something people do on their own time if they want to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

pjohnson wrote: »

I knew you lot would be quick to show up but Christ, at least give us a chance to respond saying this isn't the best thing ever before winding up the victim complex.

Damn people for having other opinions than mine, I am so outraged and offended.

Now I shall over use the word of how Ireland is coming a backwater, wtf, bla, bla, bla.

It's an optional prayer before work begins, no one is forced to attend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Now I shall over use the word of how Ireland is coming a backwater, wtf, bla, bla, bla.

It shouldn't be in the workplace. Especially the Dail......

• Registered Users Posts: 33,753 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

They need some exercise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Why the feck can't they just have the silence and people can pray in silence if they feel the need to, or mentally write a shopping list if they prefer. Covers all bases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

It's unconstitutional. I wonder will it be challenged in the courts.

cursai wrote: »
    It shouldn't be in the workplace. Especially the Dail......

Yeah imagine having to wait outside your office or place of work every morning for a prayer to be said before entering??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

If it was to Mecca there'd be a lot more on boards in favour of it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

Problem is that they are firmly involving religious practice with an institution of the state. Should be completely separate. Religious practice should be something people do on their own time if they want to

It is on their own time though :confused:

It is before work no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Tayschren

cruizer101 wrote: »
    What really worries me here is the numbers it won by 97 votes to 17, with 19 abstentions. So its not like it just scraped through, a vast majority of our public representatives voted to dedicate time to a load of bolloxology. What the proper f**k like :mad:

And some people wonder why these fvcktards were going to spend 300m on a hospital and then give it away to nuns?

FG from top to bottom are intertwined with the Catholic church. Muppets

Tayschren wrote: »
    And some people wonder why these fvcktards were going to spend 300m on a hospital and then give it away to nuns?

FG from top to bottom are intertwined with the Catholic church. Muppets

Separate issues.

I have no problem with having prayers before work.

I am totally against the nuns owning/operating whatever the maternity hospital.

I am anti abuse rather than anti catholic/church

Help!!!! wrote: »
    No, all that nonsense should be done in private, we're paying these people to stand there mumbling to themselves.

techdiver wrote: »
    Yeah imagine having to wait outside your office or place of work every morning for a prayer to be said before entering??

Before your work begins, not interfering with your day at all.

• Advertisement

No, all that nonsense should be done in private, we're paying these people to stand there mumbling to themselves.

Before work though, so whoever wants to pray goes early. If you dont you can stay in the bar an extra 5 mins ( that could be an extra 2 pints ) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Tayschren

big syke wrote: »
    Separate issues.

I am totally against the nuns owning/operating whatever the maternity hospital.

I am anti abuse rather than anti catholic/church

No its not, the government is full of bent over jebus believing troglodytes who see nothing wrong with empowering the church, to the extent they stand for prayer in whats supposed to be a secular state run parliament.

This is the state we are in

kylith wrote: »
    Why the feck can't they just have the silence and people can pray in silence if they feel the need to, or mentally write a shopping list if they prefer. Covers all bases.

or why cant they just do their praying at home, in private???

No its not, the government is full of bent over jebus believing troglodytes who see nothing wrong with empowering the church, to the extent they stand for prayer in whats supposed to be a secular state run parliament.

Standing for prayers before work (while also having the option of not even attending these prayers) vs giving nuns control of a maternity hospital where there would be a clear conflict of interest is of course two completely separate issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I see Sinn Fein abstained. If you thought Labour were useless and disappointing in government, just wait until SF get their chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

What about forcing other people to stand while you pray?

• Advertisement

Pherekydes wrote: »

Who is forcing anyone to stand while they pray?

They have an option not to attend.

Pherekydes wrote: »

No one is forcing anybody to do anything.

The Dail has not commenced business or proceedings. It's not work time. Not praying, why be there.

Jake1 wrote: »
    or why cant they just do their praying at home, in private???

Just out of the way all hush hush, no sight if your faith anywhere, might displease some atheists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Cervantes2

Help!!!! wrote: »

0/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Chester Copperpot

It is on their own time though :confused:

It is before work no?

Should have been a bit more specific. On their own time meant away from the institutions of the state where they should be focused on acting as legislators in the interests of all Irish citizens. If they want to engage in religious practice do it somewhere else

• Advertisement

I knew you lot would be quick to show up but Christ, at least give us a chance to respond saying this isn't the best thing ever before winding up the victim complex.

Oh wait you think I'm a bible basher? Oh dear how wrong you are lol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Less legal and more democratic I'd imagine.
    The majority of TDs want to pray and stand and reflect.
    I'm sure if you just want to stand patiently for a couple of minutes and not pray or reflect at all that no one is going to poke you with a stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭zedhead

Before your work begins, not interfering with your day at all.

It might be. I regularly arrive to work early, if I had to leave my desk and wait outside to avoid having to stand for a prayer in my office I would not be too happy. Also for people on flexi time they may start work earlier than the official start time so this would interfere with their day. It has no place in a work setting at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Hopefully somebody stays sitting the first chance they get.

Who is forcing anyone to stand while they pray?

They have an option not to attend.
    So it's basically that Catholics can reserve the dail so they can have a prayer for themselves and non catholics have stand or stay out?

It's the hijacking of the centre of our state for a select group of people.

Is there not already some sort of chapel in the dail?

If it gets them to turn up everyday I'm all for it

Yes the state of Ireland.

Should have been a bit more specific. On their own time meant away from the institutions of the state where they should be focused on acting as legislators in the interests of all Irish citizens. If they want to engage in religious practice do it somewhere else

So once they are inside a state building they have to act as legislators in the interests of all Irish citizens?

What about lunch hour?

I really fail to grasp peoples problem.

Prayers before work that are optional outside working hours??

What is the issue?

zedhead wrote: »
    It might be. I regularly arrive to work early, if I had to leave my desk and wait outside to avoid having to stand for a prayer in my office I would not be too happy. Also for people on flexi time they may start work earlier than the official start time so this would interfere with their day. It has no place in a work setting at all!

Is your desk in an empty chamber with no business there before work begins where there is literally nothing you can do but sit. It's not an office, no printing of photocopying, no nothing. It's not an office building with flexi time, it's not like someone is prevented from doing absolutely anything.

So once they are inside a state building they have to act as legislators in the interests of all Irish citizens?

What about lunch hour?

I really fail to grasp peoples problem.

Prayers before work that are optional outside working hours??

What is the issue?

The issue is that variants of "church" and "pray" are major triggers for some AH regulars.

• Advertisement
Advertisement