Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TDs have voted to make it compulsory to stand during the Dail prayer

Options
  • 04-05-2017 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭

https://www.thejournal.ie/dail-prayer-4-3372533-May2017/

Backwards we go...How is this even conceivable, we have the #TechCork17 summit taking place while these mopes vote to stay in the stone age.... :(

Do you agree with making all TDs stand for prayer? 46 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 46 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,214 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Approaching 3pm....yup its time for boards anti-catholic thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

What I like about this and it sums up the public sector to a t is this - whereas they previously wasted time on just a prayer now they'll waste more of it with the additional pause for reflection malarkey. Suits them I'd say, before they retire to the bar for the serious business of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Cervantes2

That would be an ecumenical matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

pjohnson wrote: »

It's not an anti-catholic rant, it's an anti-stupidity rant. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

How is it even legal to force people to perform a religious act before work?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

ScumLord wrote: »

Isn't it better than a sexual act?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,092 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Nobody's forced. Members don't have to attend for prayers. If you choose to attend, you're expected to stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭techdiver

There are no words!.... :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,214 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Isn't it better than a sexual act?

I dunno that might make things more appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Standing?

• Advertisement

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Nobody's forced. Members don't have to attend for prayers. If you choose to attend, you're expected to stand.
    It's compulsory to stand according to the OP. So either stay out or prey?

What happens if you refuse to stand?

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Pity that it's not compulsory that members actually turn up ...AND stay around after signing in !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Dont see a problem, dont want a quick prayer before work starts, then they out before the order of business begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

What really worries me here is the numbers it won by 97 votes to 17, with 19 abstentions. So its not like it just scraped through, a vast majority of our public representatives voted to dedicate time to a load of bolloxology. What the proper f**k like :mad:

In a time when the church and state needs to be separated more, the Dáil takes a retrograde steps of copper fastening the fact the Ireland is still "catholic" and **** anyone else.

Is there a list of deputies that voted for/against this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Chester Copperpot

Dont see a problem, dont want a quick prayer before work starts, then they out before the order of business begins.

Problem is that they are firmly involving religious practice with an institution of the state. Should be completely separate. Religious practice should be something people do on their own time if they want to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

pjohnson wrote: »

I knew you lot would be quick to show up but Christ, at least give us a chance to respond saying this isn't the best thing ever before winding up the victim complex.

Damn people for having other opinions than mine, I am so outraged and offended.

Now I shall over use the word of how Ireland is coming a backwater, wtf, bla, bla, bla.

It's an optional prayer before work begins, no one is forced to attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Now I shall over use the word of how Ireland is coming a backwater, wtf, bla, bla, bla.

It shouldn't be in the workplace. Especially the Dail......

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

They need some exercise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Why the feck can't they just have the silence and people can pray in silence if they feel the need to, or mentally write a shopping list if they prefer. Covers all bases.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

It's unconstitutional. I wonder will it be challenged in the courts.

cursai wrote: »
    It shouldn't be in the workplace. Especially the Dail......

Yeah imagine having to wait outside your office or place of work every morning for a prayer to be said before entering??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

If it was to Mecca there'd be a lot more on boards in favour of it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

Problem is that they are firmly involving religious practice with an institution of the state. Should be completely separate. Religious practice should be something people do on their own time if they want to

It is on their own time though :confused:

It is before work no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Tayschren

cruizer101 wrote: »
    What really worries me here is the numbers it won by 97 votes to 17, with 19 abstentions. So its not like it just scraped through, a vast majority of our public representatives voted to dedicate time to a load of bolloxology. What the proper f**k like :mad:

And some people wonder why these fvcktards were going to spend 300m on a hospital and then give it away to nuns?

FG from top to bottom are intertwined with the Catholic church. Muppets

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

Tayschren wrote: »
    And some people wonder why these fvcktards were going to spend 300m on a hospital and then give it away to nuns?

FG from top to bottom are intertwined with the Catholic church. Muppets

Separate issues.

I have no problem with having prayers before work.

I am totally against the nuns owning/operating whatever the maternity hospital.

I am anti abuse rather than anti catholic/church

Help!!!! wrote: »
    If it was to Mecca there'd be a lot more on boards in favour of it ;)
    No, all that nonsense should be done in private, we're paying these people to stand there mumbling to themselves.

techdiver wrote: »
    Yeah imagine having to wait outside your office or place of work every morning for a prayer to be said before entering??

Before your work begins, not interfering with your day at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

No, all that nonsense should be done in private, we're paying these people to stand there mumbling to themselves.

Before work though, so whoever wants to pray goes early. If you dont you can stay in the bar an extra 5 mins ( that could be an extra 2 pints ) :D

Advertisement