Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Terrorist Assassination Plot in Germany

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,712 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Beyondgone wrote: »
    Okey dokey.
    If Isis nipped over, shot Teresa May then popped across the pond and shot Donald Trump and his Minister for killing Arabic People - I'd regard that as Violent nationalism.

If Isis nips over, shoots a load of random innocent people in a nightclub, lets off a bomb on Oxford st and then blows a hole in a NY subway train, killing 40 people innocently on their way to work, IMV, that's Terrorism.

If you get my drift.
    Not really; this isn't much help.

You're telling us that you'd label the first act "violent nationalism" and the second "terrorism", but you're offering no clue as to why, in each case.

Plus, you're kind of assuming that if something can properly be called "violent nationalism" then it isn't terrorism, and vice versa. But you, again, offer no clue as to why you think this and, on the face of it, it's nonsense. Why can't violent nationalists employ terrorist tactics? Why can't terrorists espouse nationalism?

I'm sure it's not your intention, but the impression you're creating is that you're averse to applying the label "terrorism" to acts for whose motivation you have some sympathy or understanding. That may not be an accurate summary of your position, but unless you can produce a rational, coherent account of the distinction your making here, that is the impression you are going to create.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Not really; this isn't much help.

You're telling us that you'd label the first act "violent nationalism" and the second "terrorism", but you're offering no clue as to why, in each case.

Plus, you're kind of assuming that if something can properly be called "violent nationalism" then it isn't terrorism, and vice versa. But you, again, offer no clue as to why you think this and, on the face of it, it's nonsense. Why can't violent nationalists employ terrorist tactics? Why can't terrorists espouse nationalism?

I'm sure it's not your intention, but the impression you're creating is that you're averse to applying the label "terrorism" to acts for whose motivation you have some sympathy or understanding. That may not be an accurate summary of your position, but unless you can produce a rational, coherent account of the distinction your making here, that is the impression you are going to create.

Well, I did offer clues Peregrinus, I actually gave examples. I did go Googling for "Links that provide cast-iron clarification of Beyondgones mildly indifferent and dispassionate thoughts on the differences between Violent Nationalism and Terrorism" but drew a blank I'm afraid. I will continue searching and if anything relevant pops up, you can be assured I will edit this appropriately.

On your second point - "The Averse" -I will default to the "No Speculation" rule applied to other similar Threads as to the perpetrators motives/backgrounds and therefore my condemnation/lack of condemnation of said Perpetrators. As it stands, there is a view as to their motivations/actions being put forward, in the media, one to which I have expressed neutral ambivalence.

Until "they" offer a full public confession/are convicted in a Court of Law, for all you or I know they may well be patsies/falsely accused/double agents/triple agents/innocent/motivated by ideologies hitherto unknown/guilty as sin/members of an obscure Religious cult/insane etc etc.

As a Rational thinker yourself, I will presume, rightly or wrongly, that you would be as reluctant as the next person to accept the first populist and no doubt sensationalist account that emerges after emotive events such as these?

Well, I did offer clues Peregrinus, I actually gave examples. I did go Googling for "Links that provide cast-iron clarification of Beyondgones mildly indifferent and dispassionate thoughts on the differences between Violent Nationalism and Terrorism" but drew a blank I'm afraid. I will continue searching and if anything relevant pops up, you can be assured I will edit this appropriately.
    You're missing my point. You're presenting "violent nationalism" and "terriorism" as alternatives; as mutually exclusive. We get that you think this; further examples won't help us to grasp that point any more. What's missing is any account of why you think this. On the face of it, there's absolutely no reason why a nationalist agenda shouldn't be violently pursued through terrorist tactics, so characterising a particular action as "violent nationalism" does nothing at all to suggest that it's not terrorist.

Obviously, you don't agree with that view, but I'm mystified as to why you don't agree, and you're not offering any reason or explanation.
    On your second point - "The Averse" -I will default to the "No Speculation" rule applied to other similar Threads as to the perpetrators motives/backgrounds and therefore my condemnation/lack of condemnation of said Perpetrators. As it stands, there is a view as to their motivations/actions being put forward, in the media, one to which I have expressed neutral ambivalence.

Until "they" offer a full public confession/are convicted in a Court of Law, for all you or I know they may well be patsies/falsely accused/double agents/triple agents/innocent/motivated by ideologies hitherto unknown/guilty as sin/members of an obscure Religious cult/insane etc etc.

As a Rational thinker yourself, I will presume, rightly or wrongly, that you would be as reluctant as the next person to accept the first populist and no doubt sensationalist account that emerges after emotive events such as these?
    Oh, absolutely.

But, as a rational thinker yourself, you will agree, won't you, that people who are patsies/falsely accused/double agents/triple agents/innocent/motivated by ideologies hitherto unknown/guilty as sin/members of an obscure Religious cult/insane can all employ terrorist tactics, can't they? What, after all, would stop them from doing so? So we don't have to wait patiently for an authoritative determination as to whether they are sane, patsies, double agents or whatever before we can take a view about whether what they did was a terrorist action.

The incident we're discussing here, in fact, provides a useful illustration. Imagine a violent atrocity against noncombatants perpetrated by Islamists. Terrorism, right? Now imagine the same atrocity, but perpetrated by neo-fascists posing as Islamists in the hope that Muslims will be blamed for it. Still terrorism, right? As it happens, in the second instance the atrocity is perpetrated by people who are double agents, and who are quite possibly patsies manipulated by others (this is true for a lot of terorrist activies, by the way), and who are quite possibly deranged. But we didn't need to know any of that to spot that the action was terrorist in nature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

So Lonely wrote: »
    Germany needs a new Hitler.

They already have

Ye that's why they going to elect her into office the 4th time in a row.

See you in September

Merkel may be defeated in September - the bookies' odds are currently pointing to this as the more likely outcome - but any celebration on the part of the right will have a forced and desperate air. Her problem is rapidly rising support for the left - specifically, the Social Democrats. As with elsewhere in Europe, the Trumpista right appears to have peaked somewhere between the Brexit vote and the Trump victory, and to have been declining since.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

They already have

lol what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    lol what.

Some on here have lost the run of themselves imo.

Its pretty nutty in a thread about Neo-Nazis plotting terrorism, we have people calling Merkel Hitler, as opposed to the bloody Neo-Nazis. The boardsie far right have lost the plot on this one, when they defacto side with Neo-Nazis, the people who actually share Hitlers ideology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Ye that's why they going to elect her into office the 4th time in a row.

See you in September
    Is that a Le Pen quote?

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    Is that a Le Pen quote?

If its my quote then I have no idea, but I was referring to the German Election on the 24th September 2017

Is that a Le Pen quote?

again you may have not been quoting me

but I googled in "See you in September" and "See you in September Le Pen" and got nothing about quotes from Le Pen. Best I got was about some song that has those lyrics on the former.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭NinjaKirby

wes wrote: »
    Some on here have lost the run of themselves imo.

Its pretty nutty in a thread about Neo-Nazis plotting terrorism, we have people calling Merkel Hitler, as opposed to the bloody Neo-Nazis. The boardsie far right have lost the plot on this one, when they defacto side with Neo-Nazis, the people who actually share Hitlers ideology.

:D

Do you do this on every single thread?

Amazing!

So I think we've gone from an article about a planned terrorist attack to a debate over whether or not it's terrorism to one poster saying Merkel is Hitler to a rant about the "boardsie far right".

What the hell, and who the hell, is the boardsie far right? One poster?

So I think where we are at now is...

BBC Article: Assassination Plot
    Billy86: Terrorist Assassination Plot
    551: Isn't this just an assassination plot?
    Peregrinus: No. It's terrorism and anyone who says otherwise is an apologist for terrorism
    The_Kew_Tour: Merkel is Hitler!
    Wes: The Boardsie Far Right is defacto siding with Neo-Nazis.
    Me: WTF??

Is that a Le Pen quote?

Hahahahaha! :D

Are you for real?

Yes, that famous Le Pen quote. "See you in September."

Wonderful!

*Googles "le pen see you in september"*

Actually, See You In September is a song written by Sid Wayne and Sherman Edwards and performed by The Tempos. Released in 1959 it peaked at number 23.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/See_You_in_September

NinjaKirby wrote: »

Do you do this on every single thread?

Amazing!

Same could be said of you :P.
    So I think we've gone from an article about a planned terrorist attack to a debate over whether or not it's terrorism to one poster saying Merkel is Hitler to a rant about the "boardsie far right".

What the hell, and who the hell, is the boardsie far right? One poster?

Yeah, we should totally ignore people calling Merkel Hitler, instead of the Neo-Nazis....... Sure nothing to see here, and no need for anyone to point out how silly such a statement like that is.

Also, look at the post above mine for an example of what I am talking about. You can choose to ignore them and more power to you if you choose to do so, but its a bit much to expect others to follow suit.
    So I think where we are at now is...

BBC Article: Assassination Plot
    Billy86: Terrorist Assassination Plot
    551: Isn't this just an assassination plot?
    Peregrinus: No. It's terrorism and anyone who says otherwise is an apologist for terrorism
    The_Kew_Tour: Merkel is Hitler!
    Wes: The Boardsie Far Right is defacto siding with Neo-Nazis.
    Me: WTF??

Now me, WTH?

What exactly is wrong with point out how absurd some people are being, by calling Merkel Hitler as opposed to the Neo-Nazi terrorist? Also, calling such views far right, is perfectly valid, whether you like it or not.

I don't know which is funnier, the people screaming Hitler at Merkel, or the guy complaining about people point out how bloody absurd such a statement is.

again you may have not been quoting me

but I googled in "See you in September" and "See you in September Le Pen" and got nothing about quotes from Le Pen. Best I got was about some song that has those lyrics on the former.

I'm fully aware of what you were referencing. It sounds awful similar to the "see you in April/May" comments we were hearing a few months ago about Le Pen supposedly winning the French election being a foregone conclusion, and the same for Wilders in the Netherlands before her.

So yeah, see you in September.

• Advertisement

wes wrote: »
    Same could be said of you :P.

Yeah, we should totally ignore people calling Merkel Hitler, instead of the Neo-Nazis....... Sure nothing to see here, and no need for anyone to point out how silly such a statement like that is.

Also, look at the post above mine for an example of what I am talking about. You can choose to ignore them and more power to you if you choose to do so, but its a bit much to expect others to follow suit.

Now me, WTH?

What exactly is wrong with point out how absurd some people are being, by calling Merkel Hitler as opposed to the Neo-Nazi terrorist? Also, calling such views far right, is perfectly valid, whether you like it or not.

I don't know which is funnier, the people screaming Hitler at Merkel, or the guy complaining about people point out how bloody absurd such a statement is.

Honestly I thought the post that was saying Merkel is Hitler was not exactly meant to be taken seriously.

Now, maybe it was but for me the comparison seems so absurd that I simply CAN'T take it seriously and so it seems like more of a joke than an honest opinion.

I guess for me I'm just not seeing this alt-right boogie man that you seem to be finding around every corner.

I mean, as far as I can tell "alt-right" kind of just seems like a re-branding of far-right and in online circles it genuinely feels like alt-right just means American-right.

I'm just feeling like there are certain topic now where "SJW" and "Alt-Right" are the only options and anyone with even a different opinion is likely to find themselves snarkily branded one or the other.

The far-right is certainly on the rise and eventually that will be a serious concern but it comes across like you are just chomping at the bit to connect any kind of disagreement to Neo-Nazis, Alt-Right in some way.

It sounds awful similar to the "see you in April/May" comments we were hearing a few months ago about Le Pen supposedly winning the French election being a foregone conclusion, and the same for Wilders in the Netherlands before her.

OR you are looking for something that isn't there?

Just, it seems like you are really reaching there and I reckon you don't reach like that unless you REALLY want to make a specific connection.
    Why though? To prove the poster is right wing?

It's weird. The original article here was about a right wing plot. Nobody can argue with that. I didn't see anyone supporting these actions.

The thread really became about branding people posting opinions or ideas in the thread as right wing. That's the obsession now, it seems. Finding the right wing, alt-right, Neo-Nazi, Fascist behind every avatar.

I'm fully aware of what you were referencing. It sounds awful similar to the "see you in April/May" comments we were hearing a few months ago about Le Pen supposedly winning the French election being a foregone conclusion, and the same for Wilders in the Netherlands before her.

Ah ffs are you serious?

Jesus talk about low balling.

So was Roy Keane a racist now too when he told Viera "see you out there"

**** me I have heard it all now

Honestly I thought the post that was saying Merkel is Hitler was not exactly meant to be taken seriously.

Now, maybe it was but for me the comparison seems so absurd that I simply CAN'T take it seriously and so it seems like more of a joke than an honest opinion.

I take you haven't been on the Internet that long or something. Look at the new posters that have come on this thread, calling Neo-Nazis the resistance. Go read stormfront or thedonald subreddit on reddit (which actually started out as a joke). These guys are actually serious.
    I guess for me I'm just not seeing this alt-right boogie man that you seem to be finding around every corner.

I mean, as far as I can tell "alt-right" kind of just seems like a re-branding of far-right and in online circles it genuinely feels like alt-right just means American-right.

2 new posters in this thread already supporting Neo-Nazis. They seem to show up pretty quick to these kind of threads.
    I'm just feeling like there are certain topic now where "SJW" and "Alt-Right" are the only options and anyone with even a different opinion is likely to find themselves snarkily branded one or the other.

The far-right is certainly on the rise and eventually that will be a serious concern but it comes across like you are just chomping at the bit to connect any kind of disagreement to Neo-Nazis, Alt-Right in some way.

And it seems to me that, you are happy to ignore the obvious, even while acknowledging that it will eventually be a problem. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Again, 2 new posters referring to Neo-Nazi terrorists as the resistance, and its what 5/6 pages into the thread. I think your being rather naive, considering the thread is about Neo-Nazis plotting to kill people, how is that not already a serious concern exactly?

Googled what you said and got nothing.

Link this please

• Advertisement

It sounds awful similar to the "see you in April/May" comments we were hearing a few months ago about Le Pen supposedly winning the French election being a foregone conclusion, and the same for Wilders in the Netherlands before her.

OR you are looking for something that isn't there?

Just, it seems like you are really reaching there and I reckon you don't reach like that unless you REALLY want to make a specific connection.
    Why though? To prove the poster is right wing?

It's weird. The original article here was about a right wing plot. Nobody can argue with that. I didn't see anyone supporting these actions.

The thread really became about branding people posting opinions or ideas in the thread as right wing. That's the obsession now, it seems. Finding the right wing, alt-right, Neo-Nazi, Fascist behind every avatar.
    The irony of you calling that a reach! :pac:

At no point did I call him anything of the sort. I said we heard the exact same about wilders and Le Pen. Or are you denying that.

But may Kew tour can let us know which party he was referring to as winning the election in a Germany he claims is due civil unrest due to immigration? And if he wasn't referring to immigration, what was he referring to as causing civil unrest that is relevant to the story in the op?

Ah ffs are you serious?

Jesus talk about low balling.

So was Roy Keane a racist now too when he told Viera "see you out there"

**** me I have heard it all now
    Where did I call you a racist?

You said I made a quote from Le Pen.

Dont start pretending now, you know exactly what you were trying to say. Now show me where this is their Big Slogan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

So, a group of soldiers have been arrested under charges of assassination/terrorism and possibly instigating a full blown war, and yet people are coming in here calling Merkel the new Hitler.

Is this Europe's version of "What about her emails!?"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Dont start pretending now, you know exactly what you were trying to say. Now show me where this is their Big Slogan

No, he made a sarcastic comment about your post.

Loads of the alt-right fools on Reddit were saying things like "See you in May" to people who did not support Le Pen and her politics.

Not everything is a personal attack.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    No, he made a sarcastic comment about your post.

Loads of the alt-right fools on Reddit were saying things like "See you in May" to people who did not support Le Pen and her politics.

Not everything is a personal attack.

Lol

I pointed out that we were hearing all about le pen winning the French election being a supposedly foregone conclusion. So no, I did not call you a racist in any way shape or form, no matter how eager you seem to be to twist logic into playing the victim and offended snowflake.

So, a group of soldiers have been arrested under charges of assassination/terrorism and possibly instigating a full blown war, and yet people are coming in here calling Merkel the new Hitler.

Except even dumber!!!

I pointed out that we were hearing all about le pen winning the French election being a supposedly foregone conclusion. So no, I did not call you a racist in any way shape or form, no matter how eager you seem to be to twist logic into playing the victim and offended snowflake.

Link please

Link please

Link for what?

• Advertisement

Link for what?

It being "Le Pen Quote"

Your words not mine

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

More like Europe's version of Pizzagate.

It being "Le Pen Quote"

Your words not mine

OK, now you go and link to where I said it was a Le Pen quote first. Because right now it seems like you're making stuff up as you go.

Is that a Le Pen quote?

Ok here it is look

Ok here it is look

That's not me saying it is a Le Pen quote. You should read more carefully in future.

That's not me saying it is a Le Pen quote. You should read more carefully in future.

Lol. So whats it saying? Sorry thought we were speaking in English

Lol. So whats it saying? Sorry thought we were speaking in English
    It's me sarcastically asking if that is a Le Pen quote. You do know the difference between a sarcastic question and an actual statement of fact, correct?

So no, you cannot show me claiming what you said I claimed. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you couldn't tell the difference and weren't actively and purposefully trying to twist words in order to misrepresent my post, because the latter is generally frowned upon.

It's me sarcastically asking if that is a Le Pen quote. You do know the difference between a sarcastic question and an actual statement of fact, correct?

We could all say we are being Sarcastic.

A old wink or symbol might have helped.

I will do that sometime im pushed into corner ;)

We could all say we are being Sarcastic.

A old wink or symbol might have helped.

I will do that sometime im pushed into corner ;)

I thought the question mark itself would have been a hint enough that it was not a statement of fact. That's what their function tends to be.

• Advertisement

It can mean quiet few things when its suits people.

Lets move on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

If you didn't think there was any sarcasm in it, wouldn't you just have thought it was a genuine question?

Instead of a statement.

osarusan wrote: »
    If you didn't think there was any sarcasm in it, wouldn't you just have thought it was a genuine question?

Instead of a statement.

Yes, hence why I gave answer and gave m confusion. And then his reply back was that it was what France and Holland were saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Been about hour and still nothing on any news channel

so doubt it

Advertisement