Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TDs have voted to make it compulsory to stand during the Dail prayer

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Funny I heard brid Smith say the reason she did it is because we have so many people with different religions now in Ireland and they need to be recognised too.

So while you all think they are great it seems it's mostly about pleasing our muslin brothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Funny I heard brid Smith say the reason she did it is because we have so many people with different religions now in Ireland and they need to be recognised too.

So while you all think they are great it seems it's mostly about pleasing our muslin brothers.

And, y'know, the Buddhists, Baha'i, Wiccans, Jews, Hindus...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

kylith wrote: »
    And, y'know, the Buddhists, Baha'i, Wiccans, Jews, Hindus...

Aye but she said particularly Islam as it's growing fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

So? That's not a reason for making it mandatory to stand for Christian prayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

And, y'know, the calicos, denims, linens, velvets, satins...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Or it could be about moving into the 21st century??

The fact that people can get docked money for not taking part in prayers and the government deemed this a good idea,shows a worrying level of disconnect with the public?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,757 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

don't think this hasw been noted here

4 Every member of the Council of State shall at the first meeting thereof which he attends as a member take and subscribe a declaration in the following form:

"In the presence of Almighty God I do solemnly and sincerely promise and declare that I will faithfully and conscientiously fulfil my duties as a member of the Council of State."
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/cons/en/html#part9

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Then they went and ruined it by holding up banners.

I'm starting to think that this new compulsion to stand for prayers was just conjured up to spite the People's Front Against Austerity/Anti-Austerity People's Front etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭Allinall

Or it could be about moving into the 21st century??

The fact that people can get docked money for not taking part in prayers and the government deemed this a good idea,shows a worrying level of disconnect with the public?

They're getting docked money for breaking the rules of the club they're a member of. If they can't square it with their conscience to follow the rules, Ghent they should resign.

It's utterly hypocritical to remain and take money off taxpayers whilst sticking two fingers up to the institution they were privileged to be elected to.

Also, it wasn't the government that deemed it a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Allinall wrote: »
    They're getting docked money for breaking the rules of the club they're a member of. If they can't square it with their conscience to follow the rules, Ghent they should resign.

It's utterly hypocritical to remain and take money off taxpayers whilst sticking two fingers up to the institution they were privileged to be elected to.

So the government didnt vote it throigh :confused:

Its an out dated rule....something akin to what youd expect in saudi arabia tbh.....not 21st century ireland.....

The dail isnt a club.....its job is to run the country,not pander to religious extremism/nutcases.....if ladd want to pray let them.....but noone shpuld be getting docked pay for not taking part in others pasttimes

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

This is a joke, they should do the helicopter with their mickeys altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Sounds like she justified her "particularly" then. What, I ask as if not knowing, is the problem?

So there can be no analogue of civil disobedience in our Oireachtas? We must be careful to follow the proper channels and processes and adopt the correct acceptable tone when challenging total ****ing horse****. That it?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,014 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So basically what you're saying here is that non-Catholics are not entitled to have any representation in the Dail?

There is no future for Boards as long as it stays on the complete toss that is the Vanilla "platform", we've given those Canadian twats far more chances than they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,853 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Methinks the "it seems" bit exists nowhere apart from inside your echoey head.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,092 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

So there can be no analogue of civil disobedience in our Oireachtas? We must be careful to follow the proper channels and processes and adopt the correct acceptable tone when challenging total ****ing horse****. That it?
    I have sympathy with Coppinger's position. (Not to specify Coppinger in particular; what I say is equally applicable to any member who opposes the standing order on prayer and protests against it in this way.)

But I'm not sure there can be an "analogue of civil disobedience" in the Oireachtas. Civil disobedience is the peaceful protest of a citizen oppressed by an unjust law. But Coppinger's situation here isn't that of a citizen affected by a law imposed upon her; she's a legislator who shares responsibility for making the law in the first place.

Obviously she doesn't get to make the law on her own; she's part of a legislative assembly. What she needs to do is to win support from other members, whether by argument or by alliance or by trading. She was unable to do that. A legislator protesting against a newly-made law is a legislator protesting against the fact that she was unable to secure sufficiently wide acceptance for her views. I'm not sure that's quite an impressive or admirable stance as civil disobedience is normally intended to be.

I also think - forgive me if I harp on a point that I've made before, but I think it's an important one - that the form of protest she has chosen calls attention to the wrong point. The problem here is not that members who may not be Christian, or may not be believers, are required to stand while prayers are said; the problem is that the prayers are said at all. But the protest that she makes is not standing, and the protest she has said she will make is that she will refuse to stand. She's calling attention to completely the wrong thing, and she's presenting the problematic aspect of this law as an imposition on herself and on other unbelieving or secularist members, rather than an imposition on the republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Peregrinus wrote: »
    I also think - forgive me if I harp on a point that I've made before, but I think it's an important one - that the form of protest she has chosen calls attention to the wrong point. The problem here is not that members who may not be Christian, or may not be believers, are required to stand while prayers are said; the problem is that the prayers are said at all. But the protest that she makes is not standing, and the protest she has said she will make is that she will refuse to stand. She's calling attention to completely the wrong thing, and she's presenting the problematic aspect of this law as an imposition on herself and on other unbelieving or secularist members, rather than an imposition on the republic.
    I can see your point, but I don't fully agree.

Yes, she is drawing attention to one aspect of it, rather than the very existence of it, but I think a change in procedure which means that while previously, one could simply ignore the prayer and have nothing to do with it, now, failure to behave a certain way could result in censure of some kind (albeit I think the likelihood of censure is minimal) is in itself a change worthy of protest.

And, the poster she held up did address it at that wider level, calling for a separation of state and religion (rather than freedom to sit/ignore etc.).

Peregrinus wrote: »
    I have sympathy with Coppinger's position. (Not to specify Coppinger in particular; what I say is equally applicable to any member who opposes the standing order on prayer and protests against it in this way.)

But I'm not sure there can be an "analogue of civil disobedience" in the Oireachtas. Civil disobedience is the peaceful protest of a citizen oppressed by an unjust law. But Coppinger's situation here isn't that of a citizen affected by a law imposed upon her; she's a legislator who shares responsibility for making the law in the first place.

Obviously she doesn't get to make the law on her own; she's part of a legislative assembly. What she needs to do is to win support from other members, whether by argument or by alliance or by trading. She was unable to do that. A legislator protesting against a newly-made law is a legislator protesting against the fact that she was unable to secure sufficiently wide acceptance for her views. I'm not sure that's quite an impressive or admirable stance as civil disobedience is normally intended to be.

By and large, our legislative process seems to work fine- not great- but fine. The instant the matter of religion- and particularly Christianity- is introduced, we get very strange outcomes. We can have no faith that the system is fit for purpose in this scenario.

In any scenario where the "correct procedure" results in an obviously irrational and unjust outcome, it makes little sense to operate solely within said procedure ("solely" is important here). There's no reason to assume that alone will work, and the evidence (e.g. blasphemy law, the equal status act, the legislation arising out of the 8th amendment) suggests that there is an inherent bias present which will undermine that approach.

In short, you don't win a rigged game by following the rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

So what happens when we have a Muslim TD ? Is he going to stand for prayers to a ''false religion'' or are the shower of limp wristed gombeens in the Dail going to get down on their bellies and face Mecca after handing out headscarves to the female members of the house?

This decision of the house can only end up in tears and is a thin end of a wedge to reintroduce a connection between religion and state. And because of their utter stupidity - it might not be the religion they expected.

So what happens when we have a Muslim TD ? Is he going to stand for prayers to a ''false religion'' or are the shower of limp wristed gombeens in the Dail going to get down on their bellies and face Mecca after handing out headscarves to the female members of the house?

This decision of the house can only end up in tears and is a thin end of a wedge to reintroduce a connection between religion and state. And because of their utter stupidity - it might not be the religion they expected.

They are not reintroducing a connection between the state and religion.

Take a look at our constitution. :mad:

It hasn't gone away, you know.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 duloxetineteva

What has not gone away, What is the state religion.

The influence of the nonsense that is Christianity on our state hasn't gone away.

I would've thought that was pretty obvious, but there ya go......

Christianity.
    In the Name of the Most Holy Trinity, from Whom is all authority and to Whom, as our final end, all actions both of men and States must be referred,

We, the people of Éire...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Christianity.

Wrong!

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Wrong!

Maybe, though that's uselessly terse.

Why does the Constitution hang itself off the authority of the Holy Trinity?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 duloxetineteva

There is no state religion, and no constitutional issue in not allowing religion in the Dail.

Maybe, though that's uselessly terse.

Why does the Constitution hang itself off the authority of the Holy Trinity?

Because it was written at a time when most people believed in absolute nonsense and if they didn't, they were intimidated by the paedos into keeping their mouths shut.

So much for democracy...... :rolleyes:

There is no state religion, and no constitutional issue in not allowing religion in the Dail.

I broadly agree, but that doesn't really answer my question or address the point you first replied to.

Sure, there's no official state religion, so my first reply to you is an overstatement, but you introduced that topic when Zebra was talking about overt references to religion in the constitution, not state or official religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,092 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

We have had a Muslim TD. I don't know if it was his practice to attend prayers - attendance was, and still is, optional - but if he attended he certainly stood for them. Standing has always been the practice, even if it has only now been enshrined in the standing orders. Muslims have no difficulty in respecting the prayers of non-Muslims.

I repeat, the issue here is not the sensibilities of individual TDs, and framing it in those terms can only distract from the real issue, which is the secularity of the republic and its institutions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,214 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Brid Smith should be Taoiseach surely. Shes the peoples champion?

Advertisement