Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

When was the last time you cried?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

Few months ago, watched Mask for the first time (Cher) very sad................

Great film.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭SaltSweatSugar

Yesterday evening in therapy talking about a traumatic experience I went through a few weeks ago. It was more of a frustrated cry than an upset cry though.

I’ve been going to therapy every week for about the past 8 months and I can never go through a session without crying. I think going to therapy has made me more sensitive in a way. It’s not necessarily a bad thing, as I find crying cathartic. If I need to, I have a good cry, let it out, and when it’s over I move on.

I went ages without crying until late last year when my dad’s partner got diagnosed with aggressive cancer, I got dumped and rejected for a job position, all in the space of a few weeks. I cried harder than I have since my mums death 10 years ago, that deep, painful, shuddering crying. I thought I’d never stop.

I don’t see crying as a form of weakness, I think it’s much healthier than keeping things bottled up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Candie wrote: »
    Best of luck for as full a recovery as you can hope for, and I hope your F*ck-it list is constantly added to as you tick things off. Get all the rest you can now so you can get stuck into it as soon as possible, and take care. :)
    Thanks I will do my best.

Rx713B wrote: »
    About a year ago - My father had a massive heart attack he barely made it he was in the ICU. It was about 3 am I went to get a coffee and I sat in a empty hallway in the hospital and just sobbed for a about 5 mins straight - put on a brave face then and went back in and sat with him - Incredibly stressful and emotional time.
    branie2 wrote: »
    At my aunt's funeral nearly 2 years ago
    RMAOK wrote: »
    Haven't cried in years (decades probably) - it's just how I am
    Greyfox wrote: »
    Havent cried in about 10 years, I don't understand how people can do it so easily, I'm not saying its a bad thing, I just dont understand it. I love films, books and tv shows but none of them have ever made me cry.
    I find this amazing. Sometimes I can go a few months without crying, sometimes only a few days. The idea of going more than a year without crying is almost equatable to going a few years without taking a crap :eek:

You guys are dead inside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

You guys are dead inside
    If I had feelings they would be hurt by that statement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

About two weeks ago, when I was hungover and rewatching Toy Story 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I cried a little when Cooper left Murph behind in Interstellar. So about 5 years ago.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

xzanti wrote: »

He is a pediatrician who cares for children with terminal illnesses in their final days.

He asked the children about their thoughts on life and what was important to them.

[...]

Do not view/read the piece if you are not in the comfort of your own home. That's my advice.

I don't have a link as it was read out second hand on the radio. I'm sure it would be easy enough to find though.

Yeah I’m going to go right ahead and not listen to that thank you very much.

Old age has not been kind. My brain is able to keep it together, but my eyes just do their own thing. it’s like being incontinent. Embarrassing. I don’t think I can go to funerals anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Last two times I remember were a child's funeral and after a close friend's husband rang to tell me she had just miscarried again....never has a child been more wanted and it was her 4th but this one was the first to go over 12 weeks.

More regularly cry out of frustration that anything else.

I haven’t cried in like 20 + years and I wish I could. I often get the sensation, the lump in the throat and eyes moistening a bit, but nothing comes out.

And I’ve witnessed plenty of sad things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Monday just gone, at a friends funeral.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Oink wrote: »

I think it was the simplicity of their answers to him tbh. So innocent and joyful and almost unfazed by the gravity of their situation. I'm actually welling up again thinking about it.

It really is a beautiful piece. Makes you realise how much we just take for granted. Always worrying about stupid sh1t. We don't know how lucky we are half the time.

If you have your health, you have it all. Love your family while you have them. That's all there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I cried while watching The Lion King trailer the other day. But actual real life serious stuff, not very often. I’m in a position at the minute where I’m like just get on with things. If I actually sat down and thought about all that was going on I would probably explode.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Yesterday.
    Depression clouds have been gathering for a while.
    That coupled with some real life blows lately have raised the water table.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

xzanti wrote: »
    Oink wrote: »

I think it was the simplicity of their answers to him tbh. So innocent and joyful and almost unfazed by the gravity of their situation. I'm actually welling up again thinking about it.

It really is a beautiful piece. Makes you realise how much we just take for granted. Always worrying about stupid sh1t. We don't know how lucky we are half the time.

If you have your health, you have it all. Love your family while you have them. That's all there is.
    My little three year old girl just came over and sat with me while I was reading this last sentence and it got me going.

Last week I was at feckin toy story 4 and cried a few times. Actually if a story is well told and the characters well created I'm very likely to cry, as I did watching the Deadwood movie last month, though those characters have been like family to me the last ten years I've watched the show so much. I cry while reading often, as I did reading Ulysses last month, of all novels, when Bloom stops at one point to think about the fact that his dead son would be ten now "if he had lived". And that's a novel most people are just mystified by, it's a really beautiful human and empathetic thing.

I cry reading about awful things happening to people, like the kids in detention centres on the us border, or reading the times account of Ana kriegel.

I cry thinking about old friends of mine I've lost, I cry thinking about how long I've been away from Ireland, how little I get to see of my parents. I cry saying goodbye to my grown adult friends, lads I've known all my life, at funerals (never weddings though, don't understand that, but I do cry over good news all the time). Cried when I played my last hurling match in Ireland, I cry when Kilkenny win an all Ireland, lose an all Ireland, when a new team like limerick won one.

I'm useless sure. Funnily enough it's only since about the age of 30 or so I started this craic, wasn't much for crying before then. Getting soft. But to be honest, like a lot of folks have said, I quite enjoy a good cry, especially over a film or book, a sure sign it's really well done, but more generally it's very cathartic.

Today.. or well yesterday now! My grandmother has advanced Alzheimer's and after an accident this morning I'm fairly sure we've lost the last tiny thread of her that was still remaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Not for a long time, not that im holding back or anything just somehow havent felt the need to let go.

Wondering if thats a good thing though probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Today.. or well yesterday now! My grandmother has advanced Alzheimer's and after an accident this morning I'm fairly sure we've lost the last tiny thread of her that was still remaining.

Sorry to hear BuileBeag, has she reached a good age?

Sorry to hear BuileBeag, has she reached a good age?

Thanks Jim. She sure has .. 100 years old!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Last week I was at feckin toy story 4 and cried a few times.

Yeah, I welled up during Toy Story 4 too. The story is genius.

So many lovely messages in the story. How they can turn a plastic fork into such a pivotal figure in Bonnies development and Woodie was so selfless for her :o Sob

I'll say no more for fear of spoilers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

You guys are dead inside

Not at all. we all and each have different ways of coping with events and feelings. My way when I was less ill than I am now was always to get active, if others around me needed support to give it. One of my coping things was to cut the grass ( push me mower) and there was one year when it got
    destroyed/shaved...Now am too ill to have the strength to weep ... when my dog and cat died last winter I knew that if I started weeping I would never stop. ....had to organise a grave, care for my other pets, then rescue other cats....

Just we are all and each different.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Schnooks

I well up easily all the time - watching films, sport, documentaries, but listening to people's experiences on the radio in the car is a big one. Recently that Liveline last week with the man from Mayo, whose twin sons died soon after birth in Holles St in Dublin, while that protest with the little white coffins was going on outside had me in a complete mess while driving. That was a tough listen, and I don't know how either he or Katie Hannon managed to hold it together to talk about it. I also felt very angry at those protesters, but that is for a different thread.

Last time I remember full on bawling was when our dog passed away almost 3 years ago. We had him nearly 9 years and he couldn't fight the good fight any longer, so we had to make that difficult decision. Even a week later I sometimes had to pull over the car while driving for a good roar, or if I was telling someone at work about it, the voice would quiver. Even thinking about him now can cause a tear to well up.

For men, I find as you get older, you are less afraid to show a few emotions, less worried about being perceived as soft, unlike our "Hardman" youthful selves.

Yesterday.
    Depression clouds have been gathering for a while.
    That coupled with some real life blows lately have raised the water table.
    Keep yourself well. Don't want to make any assumptions, everyone's life is different but it can't be said enough times - don't be afraid to put yourself first. You're no good to anyone when you're unwell. You'd be considered stupid to go into work or entertain anyone when you've a migraine, this isnt so different, and hopefully those around you recognise the same.

I know that's a bit of a tangent, but it's a pet peeve of mine when people limit the "just get on with it" prescription to bad mental health, for no scientific or logical reason.

Wasn't intending to talk about mental health here as I don't even suffer from depression and it hadn't occurred to me. For people like me, having a good cry is a great release of stress, almost like a massage. I don't want to trivialise it for people who sometimes have to really struggle with despair. Keep yourself well.

Advertisement