Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When was the last time you cried?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

fairly recently for good reason; the CFS/ME does tend to rake your emotions.

Usually makes you too drained to weep but this was an exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Last September when my dog died. I don't cry often at all, but for a good week or so afterwards I broke down a few times. Got me a few times when I'd walk into the house and didn't hear him come running to the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

A couple of weeks ago from the sadness of losing a very dear old friend.

Last week with happiness on my granddaughter getting a 1st in her finals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

A few weeks ago, watching Dead To Me with my partner, there's a recently bereaved widow in it and I was just having a little self-indulgent "What would I do if that happened to you?" moment.

And then nearly on Sunday, because I was eating really nice food and it was nearly gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

laoisgem wrote: »
    Yesterday, although I won't allow myself to cry fully. I'm afraid if I start I won't be able to stop :(

when I lost my dog and my oldest cat ( both old) the same weekend, I dared not let myself cry. I would have drowned. still would .

I am blessed with pet loving distant family who ORDERED me to find three new cats to fill the house.. rescues. Not replacements as nothing could but needy new ones. Wise family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,829 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Watching 'The Zoo' on RTÉ a few weeks ago, the keepers and one of the vets had to put a 35yo gorilla to sleep after her health deteriorated in an unmanageable way. A few of the keepers had worked with this animal over a whole career and some of them were heartbroken and thats what upset me, I didn't bawl but there were tears.

On a positive note, it made me go to the zoo a few weekends ago, where I hadn't been for donkeys years and we met some of the keepers as they gave their talks about some of the more exotic herds and the conservation programmes they are involved with. I couldn't recommend a visit more!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Normally don't cry at all but last Saturday night I had a few tears watching the movie 'A Star Is Born'. What am I like?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Sorry for bycking the trend but I got an email with fantastic news in it about something I had applued for and wanted all my life. I burst into tears and got totally hysterical. Never open emails when driving, even when parked in rush hour traffic. I can never go home that route again.

I'm Very sorry for everyone who has had tragic losses and bereavements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Just last week at the end of Stranger Things season 3.

There was a time nothing in movie or TV show would make me cry but the last probably 3 or 4 years I will readily cry if something is sad enough. Don't know what changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I dropped a laptop from wardrobe height onto my foot a few years back. Wept like a little girl. That really really hurt. Like crying on the floor for 20 minutes . Emotionally I'm usually a once in every 10 years crier otherwise. Even at funerals - people think I'm uncaring but I just don't show it that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,202 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Haven't cried in years (decades probably) - it's just how I am

• Registered Users Posts: 16,075 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Watching a documentary on Katie Taylor on Monday ,. Her disappointment at loosing in Rio was so sad to watch .,She was totally gutted

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Very little would move me to tears so it would be a very rare event for me. The last time I came close was at my daughter's primary school graduation, which finished withl all the girls on the stage singing that "Friends forever" song and then, by twos, leaving the stage and retaking their seats, until the stage emptied as the song faded. That was a tough few moments to get through.

I should have been ready for it, because her older sister's graduation finished exactly the same way two years ago and had exactly the same effect on me. :rolleyes:

The only other things I can remember bringing me to tears are my father's death, the final scene of "Raising Arizona" and the children's story "Love You Forever".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I cry only sweat. Takes me out of that headspace

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Havent cried in about 10 years, I don't understand how people can do it so easily, I'm not saying its a bad thing, I just dont understand it. I love films, books and tv shows but none of them have ever made me cry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

What mourning? Who died?
    it was a deliberate pun

• Registered Users Posts: 23,678 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Greyfox wrote: »
    Havent cried in about 10 years, I don't understand how people can do it so easily, I'm not saying its a bad thing, I just dont understand it. I love films, books and tv shows but none of them have ever made me cry.

Haven’t cried since I was a child myself either, but I can definitely understand what sets other people off. People are different and for a while there at funerals and stuff I thought there might well be something wrong with me that I couldn’t cry when it would generally be considered a completely normal thing to do in those circumstances. As I grew up though I realised there was absolutely nothing abnormal about it, some people just don’t cry.

People that cry at the drop of a hat though, those people need to regulate themselves and their emotions. It’s not normal to cry at the drop of a hat, in the same way as it’s not normal to be overjoyed or angry all the time. Perfectly normal and understandable to be overcome by emotion in extraordinary circumstances such as bereavement or births, graduations and celebrations etc, but at the drop of a hat in what are generally considered normal circumstances? I try to be understanding that maybe what are normal circumstances for me are extraordinary circumstances for other people, and vice versa. Looking at it like that makes the behaviour a bit easier to understand at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Yesterday, when the baby bird I found out on the road died during the night before I could get it to the Vets.

I feel even worse that I probably made the situation worse by picking it up, as I found out fledgling's can often end up on the ground and still be ok. It died far from its home, without its mother, perhaps too cold or hungry because I didn't feed it right.

I am absolutely gutted and have felt stupid and ashamed since.

I hope your spirit soars high baby bird.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,862 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

The last time I cried was when I was in hospital undergoing cancer treatment, whilst one of my best friends who had died of cancer was getting buried. I had to miss his removal and funeral because of my treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

skimpydoo wrote: »
    The last time I cried was when I was in hospital undergoing cancer treatment, whilst one of my best friends who had died of cancer was getting buried. I had to miss his removal and funeral because of my treatment.

That's grim. Hope you get better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

Very few real life things make me cry, I have friends who will cry with anger, frustration, any hint of sadness etc and that just doesn't happen to me, I'll only cry if I'm really really really sad at certain funerals or something.

TV shows and films can absolutely destroy me though and they don't even have to be sad. Queer eye will undoubtedly set me off (cried last weekend at this) and I only have to see the Pixar logo for the waterworks to be set off so while I may seem like a robot in real life, I let it all out when watching tv!

That's very sad, but I hope you're doing well now and I'm sure your friend would have understood.

I had a good bawl recently. It was around the first anniversary of two family losses, I'd had a health scare and surgery and then PMS paid a visit, and it was a bit of a pile-on.

I was almost back to my optimistic self after a good emotional purge. :)

rgmmg wrote: »
    That's grim. Hope you get better.

Thanks finished chemo in 2017 and now on maintenance treatment. I had my last treatment last Friday and its getting tougher as the nearer my treatment ends its ramped up a notch. I only have 2 more to go and I am back on watch and wait. Sadly it will come back one day. I have the same cancer as the people suing Mosanto.

Candie wrote: »
    That's very sad, but I hope you're doing well now and I'm sure your friend would have understood.

I had a good bawl recently. It was around the first anniversary of two family losses, I'd had a health scare and surgery and then PMS paid a visit, and it was a bit of a pile-on.

I was almost back to my optimistic self after a good emotional purge. :)

Thanks, I am ok but still not great. My current treatment is nearly over and because of this, it is being ramped up and I am very fatigued with constipation too. My cancer will remain with me from the rest of my days and my hope is that I die with it and not from it. I have the same cancer as the people suing Monsanto.

My friend and I were going to have bucket lists but since his death, I have called mine a f*ckit list. Top of my list is going to Vegas as what goes in Vegas stays in Vegas.

Thanks, I am ok but still not great. My current treatment is nearly over and because of this, it is being ramped up and I am very fatigued with constipation too. My cancer will remain with me from the rest of my days and my hope is that I die with it and not from it. I have the same cancer as the people suing Monsanto.

My friend and I were going to have bucket lists but since his death, I have called mine a f*ckit list. Top of my list is going to Vegas as what goes in Vegas stays in Vegas.

Best of luck for as full a recovery as you can hope for, and I hope your F*ck-it list is constantly added to as you tick things off. Get all the rest you can now so you can get stuck into it as soon as possible, and take care. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,231 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I may have welled up at some stage but I generally snap out of it.
    I did get a tad teary about ten years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,649 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Upon my father being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Then seeing him defying medical opinion(by still being here) and out doing hay and using his beloved sycthe to cut over grown grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Dessie: I haven't cried since I was a kid.

Sharon Curley: You cried during the World Cup.

Dessie: Sober, Sharon! Sober!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Sitting outside Tesco just before Christmas.

There was a piece on the radio about a Canadian Doctor named Alistair McAlpine.

He is a pediatrician who cares for children with terminal illnesses in their final days.

He asked the children about their thoughts on life and what was important to them.

It broke me. I couldn't go into Tesco as I had been balling so hard. I just went home. Told my husband about it, and cried again.

Do not view/read the piece if you are not in the comfort of your own home. That's my advice.

I don't have a link as it was read out second hand on the radio. I'm sure it would be easy enough to find though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

Other than personal stuff, some things just hit you sometimes.

I was waiting in A&E in December there. I had hurt my heel nothing serious but I started reading the paper and the obituarys section which I never do.

I didn't take a glance at the whole page but was just reading as I was going along. A family had put up 4 separate pieces with a different photo and message for the same woman. One was from her husband, one from her son and his wife, her daughter and her husband and then one from the grandkids.

I think it was as I was reading each one, I started to get upset. You could just see how much they missed her.

Advertisement