Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time travel then

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

I reckon it will be cracked but it will be so far into the future that our time will be irrelevant

People usually throw out the old: "if time travel is possible then surely someone would've stopped Hitler!?" - no one has therefore it's not relevant to the future

Of course it could be that someone did stop Hitler but it turned out he was the lesser of two evils....

Stephen Fry has written a very good book with that scenario, Making History, if anyone's interested

Hitler was stopped. Eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,738 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Hitler was stopped. Eventually.

By Hitler.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

I reckon it will be cracked but it will be so far into the future that our time will be irrelevant

People usually throw out the old: "if time travel is possible then surely someone would've stopped Hitler!?" - no one has therefore it's not relevant to the future

Of course it could be that someone did stop Hitler but it turned out he was the lesser of two evils....

Stephen Fry has written a very good book with that scenario, Making History, if anyone's interested

Or it's because that could create a paradox. You could not go back in time to stop Hitler, because if you did, the reason for the time machine would not exist in the first place. You would eliminate your own reasons for creating the time machine.

Probably also be impossible to go back in time and say kill your grandad before your dad was born. Some event, incident would always stop you from carrying out the act.

And the other point......thanks to Red Alert, we all know what happens if you remove Hitler from the timeline. Joe Stalin launches a full scale invasion of Europe using Mammoth tanks. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

[HTML][/HTML]
    By Hitler.

In anticipation of being stopped by others.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

As we only learn from our mistakes we have to go through time to make them !

Its all a learning process .

Or a way over our heads TV Soap Opera for our Overlords !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I don't know about time travel but I am convinced I stepped through a temporal wormhole - very local - once ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

Or it's because that could create a paradox. You could not go back in time to stop Hitler, because if you did, the reason for the time machine would not exist in the first place. You would eliminate your own reasons for creating the time machine.

Multiple or infinite parallel time lines solves that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭Cordell

But they don't solve the problem you're trying to solve: if you go back to kill Hilter then you are creating an alternate timeline, but in your timeline nothing changes hence no motivation to do it in the first place.

• Advertisement

Multiple or infinite parallel time lines solves that.

That's not changing time, that's existing in a different timeline.

That's not changing time, that's existing in a different timeline.

Well not really. The change is made. In this case the example being killing Adolf. So you've gone back and changed time. The branching occurs after.

Well not really. The change is made. In this case the example being killing Adolf. So you've gone back and changed time. The branching occurs after.

Or you didn't make a change, simply ended up in another reality. Or maybe the tree effect of creating a whole new universe but the original timeline remains intact.

Cordell wrote: »
    But they don't solve the problem you're trying to solve: if you go back to kill Hilter then you are creating an alternate timeline, but in your timeline nothing changes hence no motivation to do it in the first place.

You are correct. But leaving motivation aside if it could be done and was done it would solve the paradox mentioned above. Which was all my point was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

I'd be more inclined to think that it's possible to time-travel via consciousness, more so than moving your whole being back or forward in time. Or maybe build a viewing device that can allow you to see forward or backwards in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

German TV series on Netflix called Dark worth watching if you like the whole time travel paradox philosophy.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Everytime you see the sun you are looking at it as it was 8.5 minutes ago. So when you see the sun drop below the horizon, it's done that 8.5 minutes ago but you are only seeing it now.

Everytime you see the sun you are looking at it as it was 8.5 minutes ago. So when you see the sun drop below the horizon, it's done that 8.5 minutes ago but you are only seeing it now.

No, the horizon is far far closer and that is happening pretty much right now as your eyes see it.

The light tho is 8.5 minutes old as it's hitting the earths atmosphere.

^^^ true, because the sun does not drop below the horizon, it's the horizon who lifts over the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

In my own scenario the time machine was invented simply for the sake of having a time machine - only after it would be invented would someone think of the Hitler Situation

Therefore I remain, as always, correct - irrefutably so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭hgfj

The Many Worlds interpretation, the idea of the Multiverse, could allow for time travel. Say you build a time machine and travel back in time and kill Hitler before the outbreak of WW2. Then you travel back to your original time, you would expect the world to be very different. But it's not. Everything is the same. Hitler wasn't killed and WW2 happened just as it did before you travelled back in time. But in another Universe the history of that Universe is such that hitler was killed by someone and WW2 never happened. Travelling back in time doesn't change the past of your own Universe but creates another Universe alongside all the other Universes in the Multiverse.

• Advertisement

Cordell wrote: »
    ^^^ true, because the sun does not drop below the horizon, it's the horizon who lifts over the sun.

Indeed!

What would you do if you went back in time and realised that you were Hitler ?

And going back in time caused you to be Hitler !

Depending on what kind of person you are, either not do what he did, or do it better as you already know how he failed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

The future is an illusion.

Watch this from 5:00 to 7:30 and blow your mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO_Q_f1WgQI

Thats me on the Bike .:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

People always think of "time travel" as people moving backward/forward in time.

Before any of that happens, we would have information travelling through time.
    The equivalent of a time telegraph, tapping out morse code signals to a receiver.
    The rate of that information might be limited by the power it takes to send it.
    For example what if you needed the entire power output of a sun to send a 256 character text message back in time.

Or if energy wasn't a limiting factor, you could have some secret organisation/race, which knew what was going to happen in advance if it could record it in the future and send it back.

With information is the same thing, either you end up with a paradox, or multiple timelines.

Wow!
    Is that Brian Greene ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

RMAOK wrote: »
    God bless John Connor.

NOT John Connors

Terminator V - Tipp District Court Verdict Day

It's 15s, because Peter Casey is balls naked robbing some lad's Honda 50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,818 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Time travel to the future is theoretically possible,,

We just cant build anything that goes the speed of light that can contain a person ,

Say you were 15 years old when you left Earth in a spacecraft traveling at about 99.5% of the speed of light (which is much faster than we can achieve now), and celebrated only five birthdays during your space voyage. When you get home at the age of 20, you would find that all your classmates were 65 years old, retired, and enjoying their grandchildren! Because time passed more slowly for you, you will have experienced only five years of life, while your classmates will have experienced a full 50 years.

So, if your journey began in 2003, it would have taken you only 5 years to travel to the year 2053, whereas it would have taken all of your friends 50 years. In a sense, this means you have been time traveling. This is a way of going to the future at a rate faster than 1 hour per hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Fairly sure I saw a 'documentary' that explained that time travel will only work from the day we invent time travel. So in other words, if we invent it today then this is the furthest back in time anyone can travel, due to the theory of the strechy rubber band.

Fairly sure it was on Dave right before Alien Abductions.

In my own scenario the time machine was invented simply for the sake of having a time machine - only after it would be invented would someone think of the Hitler Situation

Therefore I remain, as always, correct - irrefutably so.

So that's following the observer principle which works until that one time it doesnt and you create a disruption in space and time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

It's time and space travel, not just time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,818 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    Its time travel ,ur just using space to do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

anyone ever see the Time Tunnel in the '60s - great craic it was. Or The Time Machine movie.....The future is Blond.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Seanachai wrote: »
    Or maybe build a viewing device that can allow you to see forward or backwards in time.
    We have it already. It's called a television.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Now that's impressive.

Steyr 556 wrote: »

Its time travel ,ur just using space to do it

If you travelled back in time without travelling through space you could end up anywhere depending on how far back in time you travelled. For instance, if I was in my kitchen with my trusty time machine and decided to travel 24 hours into the past WITHOUT travelling through space I would probably end up 24 hours in the past alright but thousands of miles away out in space somewhere. The position of the Earth in space would not be in the same place as it was 24 hours earlier and therfore neither would my kitchen. Question is would it be possible to travel back in time without moving in space as well.

anyone ever see the Time Tunnel in the '60s - great craic it was. Or The Time Machine movie.....The future is Blond.....

Ah, the Time Tunnel. Loved that as a kid. I wonder why they never made a reboot of that series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

For an interesting treatment of some of the paradoxes of time travel - take a read of "Consider Her Ways and Others" by John Wyndham.

As whether time travel has already happened - and that we would not know about it and probably won't until the 'how' is discovered. The theory that JFK was assassinated by a time traveler in order to prevent the start of world war 3 - has been postulated as an explantation as to the mystery of his death and the enigma of his shooting.

Is it possible? Who knows? Maybe we will find out in the future ...

gozunda wrote: »
    For an interesting treatment of some of the paradoxes of time travel - take a read of "Consider Her Ways and Others" by John Wyndham.

As whether time travel has already happened - and that we would not know about it and probably won't until the 'how' is discovered. The theory that JFK was assassinated by a time traveler in order to prevent the start of world war 3 - has been postulated as an explantation as to the mystery of his death and the enigma of his shooting.

Is it possible? Who knows? Maybe we will find out in the future ...

This was a story in the 2000AD comic book back in the 90's also,
    it was Kennedy himself that ordered the assassination from an underground bunker in the future.

http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=prog&page=profiles&choice=968

What about if each Quantum of Time is a Universe ? ? ?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Ferajacka

Kivaro wrote: »
    Yes, and if I recall from that thread in 2025, I made a stupid (but true) comment on Post 23 about the clothes that mods wear are from a different time, and subsequently got banned for that comment.
    Won't make that mistake this time 'round though.
    There is a chance you will upset the time space continuim if you do not post your comment at preciecly post 23. Hopefully the impact won't be too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

timebandits_primary.jpg

Time Bandits, great movie from my childhood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I reckon if... if time travel was ever possible it would probably be cause by some crazy event in the universe. Some sun going super nova... few huge black holes near by.

• Advertisement

I reckon if... if time travel was ever possible it would probably be cause by some crazy event in the universe. Some sun going super nova... few huge black holes near by.

That's what the 'machine elves' are there to prevent,

;)

Advertisement