Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

As in " Always expect the unexpected " ?

That and "You should always be able to stop within a distance you can see to be clear"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Up Cruagh road and into Cruagh woods to keep the climb going over lunch. Wet and misty and for once no one around so had the trails largely to myself. Came in like a drowned rat after a rather miserly 15.5k and 435 of climbing but still finding it better for the head than getting on the turbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

That and "You should always be able to stop within a distance you can see to be clear"

Not saying I was entirely innocent here but I was keeping out from the verge in case there was a walker or two around the bend and I did stop in time......which so happened to be on the right hand side of the road where I veered when I saw the first of the ladies and her buggy as I went round the bend. Forming a human chain across a road, with no footpaths and on a blind bend was more than a little careless on their behalf. If I had been a car, things might not have ended so "well". I've stayed indoors cycling until such time as restrictions are lifted but I do go out walking with my kids and dogs and I still see walkers out in the middle of the road and/or with their dogs on the extendable leashes stretched out well to the front or side of them just waiting to trip up someone. Grrrrrrr....rant over.

D13exile wrote: »
    Not saying I was entirely innocent here but I was keeping out from the verge in case there was a walker or two around the bend and I did stop in time......which so happened to be on the right hand side of the road where I veered when I saw the first of the ladies and her buggy as I went round the bend. Forming a human chain across a road, with no footpaths and on a blind bend was more than a little careless on their behalf. If I had been a car, things might not have ended so "well". I've stayed indoors cycling until such time as restrictions are lifted but I do go out walking with my kids and dogs and I still see walkers out in the middle of the road and/or with their dogs on the extendable leashes stretched out well to the front or side of them just waiting to trip up someone. Grrrrrrr....rant over.

Had this a few times in lock down, though not as bad as the above. Also had a bad accident some years ago where it was a car with a trailer taking the full width of the road on a blind corner, which was rather worse. Regardless of being in the right or wrong, I take blind corners slow enough at this point that I can stop dead if needs be. Tend to meet pedestrians on Cruagh and Stocking lane where there's no path most days since lockdown. Still enjoying the spins but fast they ain't. (That's my excuse why and I'm sticking to it :p )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Had a great spin today out around Tramore and the Coast road within my 5km. Got the bike back from a fairly major service including new wheels and changing from 23 up to 25c tyres.

Very impressed by the difference on the 25's ! Definitely more comfort on the bumpy sections. New brakes also took a bit of getting used to, it actually stops now.

Praying for some warmer temps and drier roads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Probably used the bell about twenty times in the Park and Tolka Valley Park today and most times it worked fine with people moving off the bike lane or back on to the footpath. I find if you ring it from a bit of a distance, you are more likely to get a positive response and fewer scowls. There's always a few who are anti-bike and think they are entitled to walk wherever they like and others with headphones who are in a world of their own. Wouldn't dream of cycling on the Canals without a bell on the bike.

44k at 27kph today with 700 up. Beautiful, but very windy day here in Cork. Same old route over and over again. Battle to get out with work and small kids but it's always worth the effort. Think I'd crack up without it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

felt quite a bit colder out there today. a flat 27km at just shy of 30km/h.

quite a few assholes out there too. got blown at by a dublin bus while crossing the M50 (i assume he wanted me to use the ****ty cycle path) and had a couple of lunatic overtakes by artic drivers, one of which was an overtake less than 200m from a roundabout, which resulted in him pulling back in fairly sharpish on me, had to drop anchors for that one.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I had intended in heading to Glasnevin Cemetery this afternoon taking a slightly longer route there which would have given me my first 100+km spin this year.
    However, work seems to be expecting me to actually do stuff today so I'm still here at my desk. Just a little more annoyed with myself. :(

• Advertisement

felt quite a bit colder out there today. a flat 27km at just shy of 30km/h.

quite a few assholes out there too. got blown at by a dublin bus while crossing the M50 (i assume he wanted me to use the ****ty cycle path) and had a couple of lunatic overtakes by artic drivers, one of which was an overtake less than 200m from a roundabout, which resulted in him pulling back in fairly sharpish on me, had to drop anchors for that one.

They seemed to be out there today for some reason, nearly got taken out of it by someone entering a roundabout while ignoring that I was already on it. 21k for me, back up Cruagh to the Viewing point and around the local area over lunch. Was planning on taking the ice tyres off this weekend but met.ie says no.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

10kms in to a planned 50k (loops within the guidelines) I managed to break my chain, well the connector link gave in, very small mileage on the chain. Currently on the Luas cos I'm not walking 5k in cleats and the bike is in lbs, needs headset bearings too

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Is it just me or are the joggers on the road in the phoneix Park getting worse and worse? It's absolutely lethal at the weekends. Especially now with some of the paths flooded, woukd be gym monkeys fanned out two, three, even four abreast at times, on blind corners, middle of the road... Forcing traffic into lethal overtaking manoeuvres... I come back from spins there now feeling really stressed and angry. I feel like being one of those raving lunatics giving out to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

...Forcing traffic into lethal overtaking manoeuvres...

Remember that no one is forced to do anything lethal, that's their choice
    (but yes, some of the joggers are d1cks)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Is it just me or are the joggers on the road in the phoneix Park getting worse and worse? It's absolutely lethal at the weekends. Especially now with some of the paths flooded, woukd be gym monkeys fanned out two, three, even four abreast at times, on blind corners, middle of the road... Forcing traffic into lethal overtaking manoeuvres... I come back from spins there now feeling really stressed and angry. I feel like being one of those raving lunatics giving out to everyone.
    In fairness, the only one responsible for a dangerous overtake is the driver!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Ah here.
    This must be a wind up.
    Nobody is forced into a lethal overtaking manouver.

The cyclists were 3 abreast in the middle of the road!!!!
    Grr off my road peasant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,892 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Walkers have been conditioned at this point to see joggers like grim reapers coming towards them ready to instantly infect someone the second they come within 2m like in a game of bulldog/tag. Hence people have to run on the road if the Park is anyway busyish as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

True re over taking manoveures, I could have worded it better, but you know what I mean, there's always that driver that gets even half a chance and he's going for it... Iv no problem people using the road, it's the joggers running right down the middle of it or jumping onto it without so much as glance for their own or other people's safety.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

smacl wrote: »
    They seemed to be out there today for some reason, nearly got taken out of it by someone entering a roundabout while ignoring that I was already on it. 21k for me, back up Cruagh to the Viewing point and around the local area over lunch. Was planning on taking the ice tyres off this weekend but met.ie says no.

Roundabouts, the last bastion of free choice where the rules of man seem not to apply. Overtaking on single lane roundabouts, the left lane to turn right, indicating any f*&*ing way they want for sh1ts and giggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Got out for an hour cycle today. A mix of road and venturing slightly off road hence the bit of muck.

Was a nice morning for it. Bit manky out now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

10kms in to a planned 50k (loops within the guidelines) I managed to break my chain, well the connector link gave in, very small mileage on the chain. Currently on the Luas cos I'm not walking 5k in cleats and the bike is in lbs, needs headset bearings too

Well that explains the photo. Was wondering where the bike was and whether you managed to sneak it on board :)

Well that explains the photo. Was wondering where the bike was and whether you managed to sneak it on board :)

I bought an ex a Scott Contessa and the luas lad wouldn'tet me on woth it, even though it was wrapped in plastic and cardboard. I often wonder how she is these days, poor scotty

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭grouchyman

Planning to go out for 2 hours with intervals in the second hour. But what with the bright dry day and the wind not too bad I did a few laps around the village instead. 106 kms in about 5 hrs avg speed 20.8. Happy with that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I can't think of a single point in the park where you don't have a line of vision around an approaching corner from a anything between 50-400metre out except downhill at the magazine fort or around the furry glen, and if you're going down them without due care then it's on you entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭obi604

Was out for a casual trot on my trusty steed earlier.

Came to a Garda checkpoint. Waited diligently and it came to my turn, guard kinda half laughing at me for stopping and said go on, shook his head etc.

I bet if I didn’t bother stopping and cycled on through, it could have been a different story. Or a different guard may have asked me questions etc.

What has been your experience at these check points?

I've just slowed down and rolled through while giving a wave.

Today was the first day I was actually stopped, I was on my way to the Phoenix Park so I just said 'I live up the road there and heading into the park', was told to go ahead.

I just fecked about in the mud today, was very hungover leaving the house but glad I did it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,892 ✭✭✭✭Stark

So far I haven't been stopped at the quays checkpoints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭rolling boh

have not been stopped at Confey kildare pay no attention to me so far it was quite windy in spots this morning quite a few out though .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

have not been stopped at any checkpoints while on the bike, just slowed down on approach and have been waved through each time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Just back from a couple of hours. First time out in at least 3 weeks. Such a pleasure to be able to cycle.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement