Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General mtb chat, links and news thread

• 21-05-2019 9:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭

Was thinking I might start a general chat thread, somewhere to share everything and anything that may be derailing a thread or stuff that might not warrant its own thread.
    Just an idea, mods please delete or edit if you deem its not needed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭covey123

Think this may be it?

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057902238/5/#post109986755

Never look at it though! Maybe a rename might help.

To get the ball rolling, personally I think the most important developments in mtbing this year are;
    1) the Athertons producing their own bikes

2) Rob Warner's 'tache.....

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Peter T

Not only Athertons producing their own bikes but getting results too. They have an impressive set up looking at their Instagram posts

All 3 great ambassadors for the sport, especially Rachel with regards to women's DH, definitely massively influencencal in pushing and promoting it to the level that its at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Peter T wrote: »
    Not only Athertons producing their own bikes but getting results too. They have an impressive set up looking at their Instagram posts

It seems a number of well known commentators on the circuit aren't overly impressed and I can see their point they haven't really developed a bike more so they've used products already heavily invested in R&D and assembled a bike. I'd say the most work they have done is designing the logo.

As for results there's no denying Rachels talent but Gee isn't a contender any more on the down hill series. They're great role models although I wish Rachel would lighten up a bit at times and I love the way Tahnee gets under her skin :D

I've seen people giving that argument alright. Fair enough they didnt come up with the initial concept but they took it on and brought it to the stage of being a sell-able product that performs. You can have the best bike in the world built but its worth nothing if you cant sell them

• Advertisement

Peter T wrote: »
    Fair enough they didnt come up with the initial concept but they took it on and brought it to the stage of being a sell-able product that performs. You can have the best bike in the world built but its worth nothing if you cant sell them

Definitely,its been done before but had never heard of that building process until they brought it to light.
    It may or may not succeed for them but at least opens the door to new ways of bike building and innovation

covey123 wrote: »
    Definitely,its been done before but had never heard of that building process until they brought it to light.
    It may or may not succeed for them but at least opens the door to new ways of bike building and innovation

I think this is where the confusion has been created. They didn't bring the build process to light it's always been about and it's not entirely different to the open mould design the chinese use to build their carbon frames. It certainly brings a new build method in that you can basically buy the lugs and then buy the tubes and adjust the geometry to suit. I can't see it competing with the big brand frames unless there's a very good warranty behind them. The components will sell themselves. I do like the simple design but doubt I'd ever buy one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Gee isn't a contender any more on the down hill series.

Rule out Gee at your peril. People had him written off as 'past it' last season - forgetting that he spent much of the previous year and a half fighting injuries - and yet he finished very strong.

Lemming wrote: »
    Rule out Gee at your peril. People had him written off as 'past it' last season - forgetting that he spent much of the previous year and a half fighting injuries - and yet he finished very strong.

Oh absolutely sure the man is built like a brick **** house but with the young guns gathering momentum and more enduro riders looking the direction of DH not to mention a new bike under him I'll be surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

The Atherton bikes are basically the robot bike company rebranded. Same people involved, same construction process etc.

• Advertisement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evsEA2dMJFQ Always get great enjoyment from Chris Akrigg's video's.

Hypnotic! Jesus he must have some power in his legs, amazing climbing skills from around 2.10

Danny MacAskill has a great new one out too

Hypnotic! Jesus he must have some power in his legs, amazing climbing skills from around 2.10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctgMXzk0sHo

Same here in this clip, terrible run up and just mashes the pedals. Dannys new one is great too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

jesus who would need an ebike with legs like that :D love akrigg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭prunudo

Danny MacAskill has a great new one out too

https://youtu.be/jj0CmnxuTaQ

Shame they had to put the disclaimer in it. As obvious as it was just shows the way of the world these days.

jvan wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/jj0CmnxuTaQ

Shame they had to put the disclaimer in it. As obvious as it was just shows the way of the world these days.

..Phew,and there was me thinking all along it was a real child, thank God he cleared it up

https://youtu.be/kWkFYZnbPSY

Latest Danny instalment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Train like the Pro's with Greg Callaghan:

Nice looking trails. Good video too, would inspire you to get out if it wasn't such a pissy day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

jvan wrote: »
    Nice looking trails. Good video too, would inspire you to get out if it wasn't such a pissy day.

Those kart/luge things looked like great fun beside the trails! :D

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Those kart/luge things looked like great fun beside the trails! :D

Nearly sure thats Queenstown, NZ or certainly very similar looking to it. Was there years ago before I was into mountain biking and we couldn't get enough of the Luge's, great craic trying to delay the braking to the very last minute :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭Good jib!

My TA: Those bloody 'Crash Compilation' videos on Youtube. Yeah, I'm into MTB, but I'm not interested, and I really can't fathom how anyone would be interested in seeing lads hurting themselves.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,906 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Good jib! wrote:
    My TA: Those bloody 'Crash Compilation' videos on Youtube. Yeah, I'm into MTB, but I'm not interested, and I really can't fathom how anyone would be interested in seeing lads hurting themselves.

There are some strange humans out there into this

wouldnt be my cup of tea either, id be having flashbacks when things get technical :D

Just wondering does anyone know of any bike shops in the greater Dublin area that stock Scott bikes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

prunudo wrote: »
    Just wondering does anyone know of any bike shops in the greater Dublin area that stock Scott bikes?

There's a few, using their dealer locator, just punch in Dublin, Ireland.

https://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/dealers/locator

Cheers, wasn't sure if there was somewhere that was more oriented to mountain bikers than just a random search on their dealer locater. Call me cynical but don't know if I'd trust the advise from a sales assistant in Eurocycle/eurobaby.

Cheers, wasn't sure if there was somewhere that was more oriented to mountain bikers than just a random search on their dealer locater. Call me cynical but don't know if I'd trust the advise from a sales assistant in Eurocycle/eurobaby.

Never used them so couldn't comment on their expertise. To me, Scott bikes are usually more XC focused (as in the Spark getting great reviews, their enduro rig, the Ransom not so much) so I've never felt the need to look into one.

• Advertisement

The latest ransom and genius seem to be getting good reviews from what I saw so peaked my interest. In saying that they don't seem that popular on the trails around here compared to other brands.

rizzodun wrote: »
    . To me, Scott bikes are usually more XC focused

Brendog, Lucas, Payet, and Caribou might disagree with that assessment as might Vink, Bas,and Jameson.

Brendog, Lucas, Payet, and Caribou might disagree with that assessment as might Vink, Bas,and Jameson.

As I said, to me. Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

Call me cynical but don't know if I'd trust the advise from a sales assistant in Eurocycle/eurobaby.

I would usually be of the same opinion but I know a girl who races for Scott and I'm pretty sure she gets her bikes and gear from a guy in Eurocycle.

QueenMTBee wrote: »
    I would usually be of the same opinion but I know a girl who races for Scott and I'm pretty sure she gets her bikes and gear from a guy in Eurocycle.

I stand corrected so. Regardless, they don't seem to have the higher end stuff on their website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

MTB folk, where is best place to sell a near new decent enough spec hardtail?

Just not using it and a new gravel bike is on the want list

https://www.orangebikes.co.uk/bikes/clockwork-evo-s/2019

• Advertisement

MTB folk, where is best place to sell a near new decent enough spec hardtail?

Just not using it and a new gravel bike is on the want list

https://www.orangebikes.co.uk/bikes/clockwork-evo-s/2019

The usual Donedeal, Adverts.

The main cycling forum has a sales section.

Also, there's an Irish Buy & Sell group on Facebook with a large following.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/490954040982138/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Was just browsing for things to do at the weekend, and i noticed that Ballyhouras are having some sort of an event on sunday.

https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/family-adventure-day-tickets-60301813347?aff=ebdssbdestsearch

tickets show a good load of activities, including kids sessions (bikes included).
    It'll be a great excuse for me to bring herself and the two smallies out to see where I disappear off to for hours at a time.

Does anyone else find you can go months with the bike working great and then wham, nothing but mechanical week after week.
    Seem to be in the latter phase myself at present. And its not like I'm lazy with upkeep or maintenance, I try to keep on top of it where possible. It ain't a cheap hobby thats for sure.

Does anyone else find you can go months with the bike working great and then wham, nothing but mechanical week after week.
    Seem to be in the latter phase myself at present. And its not like I'm lazy with upkeep or maintenance, I try to keep on top of it where possible. It ain't a cheap hobby thats for sure.

i dont think i have one 100% bike at the moment :pac: its part of it i suppose, probably why being able to tinker with your own bikes is near essential as a mtber

i dont think i have one 100% bike at the moment :pac: its part of it i suppose, probably why being able to tinker with your own bikes is near essential as a mtber

Replaced the bb a few weeks back, last week there was a bit of creak and was thinking maybe I hadn't tightened it enough. Looked closer and noticed a bit of play in the rear triangle. Turns out the main suspension bearing was giving up the ghost. Currently in the process of replacing all of them now. At least I'll have the bike up and running for the weekend.

• Advertisement

Just pulled the trigger on a new set of Saint brakes. The Sram guide R's were breaking my heart. Should be great fun with the internal routing.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Just pulled the trigger on a new set of Saint brakes. The Sram guide R's were breaking my heart. Should be great fun with the internal routing.

Dont pull the existing hose out but use it as the draw wire to pull the new one through. Should simplify it a bit.

i couldnt be arse routing my brakes internally when i built up my bike, thankfully my frame had boses to externally route them, but i think even if it didnt id find some way to do it externally other than that pain in the hole :D

I installed a dropper post at the weekend and routed it internally. The trick for me was turning the frame and letting gravity do the work. Mine is a cable operated dropper so maybe a bit easier then routing hydro lines

Park tools do a handy magnetic guide thingy for internal cable routing. Never tried it mind you but it seems a good idea that might save time & effort.

I saw it on a gmbn how to video. Id been fooling around trying to run the cable so naturally went to the internet for ideas. Of course they had the park tool that took the pain out of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlRoB4O8gEo shows it in use around the 5.40 mark

Park tools do a handy magnetic guide thingy for internal cable routing. Never tried it mind you but it seems a good idea that might save time & effort.

Thanks yeah I saw that. X-tools do the same thing for a third of the price and it seems to be getting good reviews.

Just a heads up to anyone whos heading up to trails around the north Wicklow area on Sunday morning.
    There'll be various roads closed due an Ironman race taking place. Not sure on exact route but the old long hill is closed so rules Ballinastoe and Djouce out if thats where you were thinking of heading for your Sunday spin.
    Main entrance into The Gap is effected too but they have another way in which will be sign posted I believe.

Head up, registration for round 5 of the Mondraker Grassroots Enduro opens at 21:00 tonight. Hosted by Northwest MTB in Union Wood, Sligo.

With a really short climb and 3 very compact stages on all natural trails it should be a good way to close out the season. 10 plus runs will easily be possible!

Check out SI entries and the grassroots web pages for details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

rizzodun wrote: »
    Head up, registration for round 5 of the Mondraker Grassroots Enduro opens at 21:00 tonight. Hosted by Northwest MTB in Union Wood, Sligo.

With a really short climb and 3 very compact stages on all natural trails it should be a good way to close out the season. 10 plus runs will easily be possible!

Check out SI entries and the grassroots web pages for details.

Any idea what time the event might start, and how long it might go for? Haven't done a Grassroots before and thinking of heading to Sligo for this. Can't find exact details online

• Advertisement
Advertisement