Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General mtb chat, links and news thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

rizzodun wrote: »
    . To me, Scott bikes are usually more XC focused

Brendog, Lucas, Payet, and Caribou might disagree with that assessment as might Vink, Bas,and Jameson.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Lemming wrote: »
    Brendog, Lucas, Payet, and Caribou might disagree with that assessment as might Vink, Bas,and Jameson.

As I said, to me. Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

prunudo wrote: »
    Call me cynical but don't know if I'd trust the advise from a sales assistant in Eurocycle/eurobaby.

I would usually be of the same opinion but I know a girl who races for Scott and I'm pretty sure she gets her bikes and gear from a guy in Eurocycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭prunudo

QueenMTBee wrote: »
    I would usually be of the same opinion but I know a girl who races for Scott and I'm pretty sure she gets her bikes and gear from a guy in Eurocycle.

I stand corrected so. Regardless, they don't seem to have the higher end stuff on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

MTB folk, where is best place to sell a near new decent enough spec hardtail?

Just not using it and a new gravel bike is on the want list

https://www.orangebikes.co.uk/bikes/clockwork-evo-s/2019

• Advertisement

MTB folk, where is best place to sell a near new decent enough spec hardtail?

Just not using it and a new gravel bike is on the want list

https://www.orangebikes.co.uk/bikes/clockwork-evo-s/2019

The usual Donedeal, Adverts.

The main cycling forum has a sales section.

Also, there's an Irish Buy & Sell group on Facebook with a large following.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/490954040982138/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Was just browsing for things to do at the weekend, and i noticed that Ballyhouras are having some sort of an event on sunday.

https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/family-adventure-day-tickets-60301813347?aff=ebdssbdestsearch

tickets show a good load of activities, including kids sessions (bikes included).
    It'll be a great excuse for me to bring herself and the two smallies out to see where I disappear off to for hours at a time.

Does anyone else find you can go months with the bike working great and then wham, nothing but mechanical week after week.
    Seem to be in the latter phase myself at present. And its not like I'm lazy with upkeep or maintenance, I try to keep on top of it where possible. It ain't a cheap hobby thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Does anyone else find you can go months with the bike working great and then wham, nothing but mechanical week after week.
    Seem to be in the latter phase myself at present. And its not like I'm lazy with upkeep or maintenance, I try to keep on top of it where possible. It ain't a cheap hobby thats for sure.

i dont think i have one 100% bike at the moment :pac: its part of it i suppose, probably why being able to tinker with your own bikes is near essential as a mtber

i dont think i have one 100% bike at the moment :pac: its part of it i suppose, probably why being able to tinker with your own bikes is near essential as a mtber

Replaced the bb a few weeks back, last week there was a bit of creak and was thinking maybe I hadn't tightened it enough. Looked closer and noticed a bit of play in the rear triangle. Turns out the main suspension bearing was giving up the ghost. Currently in the process of replacing all of them now. At least I'll have the bike up and running for the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Just pulled the trigger on a new set of Saint brakes. The Sram guide R's were breaking my heart. Should be great fun with the internal routing.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Just pulled the trigger on a new set of Saint brakes. The Sram guide R's were breaking my heart. Should be great fun with the internal routing.

Dont pull the existing hose out but use it as the draw wire to pull the new one through. Should simplify it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

i couldnt be arse routing my brakes internally when i built up my bike, thankfully my frame had boses to externally route them, but i think even if it didnt id find some way to do it externally other than that pain in the hole :D

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

I installed a dropper post at the weekend and routed it internally. The trick for me was turning the frame and letting gravity do the work. Mine is a cable operated dropper so maybe a bit easier then routing hydro lines

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Park tools do a handy magnetic guide thingy for internal cable routing. Never tried it mind you but it seems a good idea that might save time & effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

I saw it on a gmbn how to video. Id been fooling around trying to run the cable so naturally went to the internet for ideas. Of course they had the park tool that took the pain out of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlRoB4O8gEo shows it in use around the 5.40 mark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Lemming wrote: »
    Park tools do a handy magnetic guide thingy for internal cable routing. Never tried it mind you but it seems a good idea that might save time & effort.

Thanks yeah I saw that. X-tools do the same thing for a third of the price and it seems to be getting good reviews.

Just a heads up to anyone whos heading up to trails around the north Wicklow area on Sunday morning.
    There'll be various roads closed due an Ironman race taking place. Not sure on exact route but the old long hill is closed so rules Ballinastoe and Djouce out if thats where you were thinking of heading for your Sunday spin.
    Main entrance into The Gap is effected too but they have another way in which will be sign posted I believe.

Head up, registration for round 5 of the Mondraker Grassroots Enduro opens at 21:00 tonight. Hosted by Northwest MTB in Union Wood, Sligo.

With a really short climb and 3 very compact stages on all natural trails it should be a good way to close out the season. 10 plus runs will easily be possible!

Check out SI entries and the grassroots web pages for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

rizzodun wrote: »
    Head up, registration for round 5 of the Mondraker Grassroots Enduro opens at 21:00 tonight. Hosted by Northwest MTB in Union Wood, Sligo.

With a really short climb and 3 very compact stages on all natural trails it should be a good way to close out the season. 10 plus runs will easily be possible!

Check out SI entries and the grassroots web pages for details.

Any idea what time the event might start, and how long it might go for? Haven't done a Grassroots before and thinking of heading to Sligo for this. Can't find exact details online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

steamsey wrote: »
    Any idea what time the event might start, and how long it might go for? Haven't done a Grassroots before and thinking of heading to Sligo for this. Can't find exact details online

They usually run from 10:00-15:00 you can cycle up to the trail head once you register though.

https://www.sientries.co.uk/event.php?event_id=5895

As mentioned from 10:00 to 15:00.
    Registration is from 09:00 and the climb to the top will be a breeze so expect plenty of time to get a good few runs in!

It's only 10 mins from the N4 to Dublin so no traffic issues when heading away either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭Gerry

I've done xc races there, I am tempted to try make it to this.. it's a great venue.

Gerry wrote: »
    I've done xc races there, I am tempted to try make it to this.. it's a great venue.

Do it.... Dooooooo iiiiiiitttt!!

Should be a cracking day.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Registered. Looking forward to it.

Never done a Grassroots event. Is the general jist, no practice as such, just keep repeating the stages and try and get as many in as you can and best time counts for results?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Never done a Grassroots event. Is the general jist, no practice as such, just keep repeating the stages and try and get as many in as you can and best time counts for results?

Pretty much that in a nutshell it's a relaxed version of the gravity enduro all trails open and close at the above times and no pre race practicing, obviously the locals will have an advantage there :D

You can race any trail in any order as many times as you wish. So use the first runs as sighting laps and then put in a few good race runs. Most riders will only get in around 2-3 runs per trail but from the sounds of this one the transitions are short.

To note all features in the grass roots races are rollable.

What sites are everyone using for online deals. Bar crc, bikediscount.de and bike24 is there anything else worth using?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭covey123

What sites are everyone using for online deals. Bar crc, bikediscount.de and bike24 is there anything else worth using?

Winstanleys in UK and Probike.fr always worth a look.Also, haven't used here yet but another German site,r2-bike.com

• Advertisement

Alltricks.com is one to watch, bought tyres from there in the past much cheaper than crc

Advertisement