Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-Bikes

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭C3PO

Tenzor07 wrote: »

Not sure how obeyed this is though! Regularly passed on my commute by ebikes doing well in excess of 25kph!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

C3PO wrote: »
    Not sure how obeyed this is though! Regularly passed on my commute by ebikes doing well in excess of 25kph!

I can't believe they are able to pass you out! But, nothing is impossible I'm sure! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,815 ✭✭✭Alkers

Tenzor07 wrote:
    Noo noo sorry, when I say legal limit I mean restriction, the assistance cuts out at 25kph regardless of being on or off road.

What is the law? For example scramblers are not legal on road but if you're using one on private land it doesn't matter about tax, licence, insurance etc.
    Is it not the same for these?

Simona1986 wrote: »
    What is the law? For example scramblers are not legal on road but if you're using one on private land it doesn't matter about tax, licence, insurance etc.
    Is it not the same for these?

It's an EU standard law:
    European Union directive 2002/24/EC exempts vehicles with the following definition from type approval: "Cycles with pedal assistance which are equipped with an auxiliary electric motor having a maximum continuous rated power of 0.25 kW, of which the output is progressively reduced and finally cut off as the vehicle reaches a speed of 25km/h (15.5mph) or if the cyclist stops pedaling." This is the de facto definition of an electrically assisted pedal cycle in the EU. As with all EU directives, individual member countries of the EU are left to implement the requirements in national legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,815 ✭✭✭Alkers

Tenzor07 wrote:
    It's an EU standard law:

Is type approval relevant for vehicles/cycles being used on private land? Genuine question, I'm not arguing with you!

• Advertisement

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Is type approval relevant for vehicles/cycles being used on private land? Genuine question, I'm not arguing with you!

It's a bicycle with motorised assistance, not a motorcycle, therefore your question about using on or off road, public or private is completely irrelevant, a bicycle shop cannot supply a bicycle for sale that isn't compliant with the EU directive.

I'm not going to respond again on this matter, suggest using Google or contacting an eBike store such as https://www.greenaer.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

I'm thinking of doing a TSDZ2 conversion on a Cube hard tail for a 45k mostly canal commute during the summer months, beats sitting in the car for the best part of 2 hours. I'll still keep a normal trail bike and get the best of both worlds.

Advertisement