Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long will Boris be Prime Minister of Great Britain?

Options
  • 05-06-2019 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭

He seems to be a figure that has cross party popularity akin to Tony Blair had in his heyday and he lasted 10 years. Since www 2, leaders last approximately either less than a year, 3 years, 6 years or 10 years

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Prime_Ministers_of_the_United_Kingdom

This is role Boris was destined for, when he gets through the sticky Brexit issue, it is full sail ahead. 10 years at least!

Piers Morgan gifting Donald trump with a Winston Churchill hat yesterday was very fitting and symbolic. Was that a gift from Bojo? Boris wrote a book about Churchill

He's going to make great Britain great again, isn't he?

How long will he reign? 203 votes

Less than 365 days
    76% 155 votes
    3 years
    11% 23 votes
    6 years
    7% 16 votes
    10 years +
    4% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,136 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/05/majority-of-voters-think-boris-johnson-would-make-bad-pm-polling-expert
    Majority of voters think Boris Johnson would make bad PM - polling expert
    Antipathy among many voters towards favourite may harm his Tory leadership chances

In a YouGov poll, 28% of the public thought Boris Johnson would make a good prime minister, but 54% thought he would make a bad PM. Photograph: Tolga Akmen/AFP/Getty Images
    Many voters have a “distinct antipathy” towards Boris Johnson, which could hamper his chances of winning a future general election even if he delivered Brexit, the Conservative peer and polling expert Robert Hayward has said.

Johnson is the overwhelming favourite in the race to succeed Theresa May, in which will the field of 11 candidates – with more likely to declare – will be whittled down to two over the next fortnight.

After analysing a slew of recent polls on the parties and candidates, Hayward said a new Tory leader would not win a general election unless they were “transfer-friendly”.

“A Tory prime minister or leader can’t win without Brexiteers; but you actually can’t win without the people who don’t strongly identify with one side or the other, and are looking for good government,” he said.

He said that while Johnson was very popular with a section of the electorate, he was also the leadership frontrunner whom voters were most likely to say would make a bad prime minister.

“There is a distinct antipathy towards Boris,” he said. He pointed to a recent YouGov poll that suggested as many as 23% of respondents who had voted Conservative in 2017 thought Johnson would be a “very bad” prime minister.

In the same poll, 28% of the public thought he would make a good prime minister, outstripping any of the other eight candidates they asked about – but 54% thought he would make a bad PM.

If he gets it, then one day in the job will be too long for the lying, mumbling pile of shag carpet
    https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/times-boris-johnson-flat-lied/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,753 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

No option for 350 million days?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

People like him as a buffoon,not for a leader though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I'm not sure UK will survive long enough for Bojo to be in power for 10 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 335 ✭✭.Charlo

meeeeh wrote: »

What do you think is going to happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

kneemos wrote: »
    People like him as a buffoon,not for a leader though.

I don't know about that, he's surprisingly popular - a glut of people honestly don't see that his Brexit stance was merely an attempt at self promotion, these people want Brexit so they're pushing for the buffoon. I have to live here for another bit longer and I've a very uneasy feeling about it. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

he will not get the job.

.Charlo wrote: »
    What do you think is going to happen?

Scotland might go for another referendum for example. Nobody in 1980 thought Yugoslavia will be in full blown war 10 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Scotland might go for another referendum for example. Nobody in 1980 thought Yugoslavia will be in full blown war 10 years later.

A seven year old me did, although back then we spelt it 'Jugoslavia'.

A seven year old me did, although back then we spelt it 'Jugoslavia'.

'We' never spelt it Jugoslavia. There is a 'j' missing.

Anyway back to GB, I think situation is messed up enough that nobody will get long as pm. The country is too divided.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

3 months. He'll call an election and lose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

L1011 wrote: »
    3 months. He'll call an election and lose.
    No way Corbyn will become PM though I like him. The British establishment and media will demonise him even more at a general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

either as long as corbyn is the alternative or if mogg can gain enough moggmentum for a leadership challenge.Whichever comes first. If labour were smart they'd just go back to blairite politics and the public would have him out in a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Boris is a car crash of a man. They use to have him on 'Have I got News for you' to take the piss out of him.
    The British establishment will not give Corbyn, (any Blarites should form a Tory-lite party of their own) any fair hearing so I can't see him winning, that said Boris is likely to force himself to resign.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Boris is a car crash of a man. They use to have him on 'Have I got News for you' to take the piss out of him.
    The British establishment will not give Corbyn, (any Blarites should form a Tory-lite party of their own) any fair hearing so I can't see him winning, that said Boris is likely to force himself to resign.
    Do you think John McDonnell or another leftie could get a fair crack at it or will they "do a Corbyn" on them too?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

Boris will stay in the long grass, as now is not his time.

The next PM will fall with Brexit, no matter how it plays out. I expect October to be a repeat of March (what will change?) but UK to hard exit in an acrimonious fashion.

The PM after Brexit will then be Boris. Post exit, Boris will negotiate a trade deal with the EU and claim he saved Great Britain and the Tories.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No way Corbyn will become PM though I like him. The British establishment and media will demonise him even more at a general election.

This country has shown us how you handle a leader that can't be PM - give it to their deputy. John A Costello did not lead FG either time he was Taoiseach.

Where is the 'approximately never' option? The slobbering dunce hasn't a snowball's chance in hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Do you think John McDonnell or another leftie could get a fair crack at it or will they "do a Corbyn" on them too?

It depends. It's an actual left labour they've issue with. Theyd stomach Tory lite.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

boege wrote: »
    Boris will stay in the long grass, as now is not his time.

The next PM will fall with Brexit, no matter how it plays out. I expect October to be a repeat of March (what will change?) but UK to hard exit in an acrimonious fashion.

The PM after Brexit will then be Boris. Post exit, Boris will negotiate a trade deal with the EU and claim he saved Great Britain and the Tories.

Yep, I wondered why he put his name forward, but he is never going to be PM this time around, he is biding his time because it will be a disaster for him as it was for TM to be pm right now. And he knows it.

Far more difficult to lead your country through a crisis like Brexit. Odious man.

Who will take on the mantle now. It is surely the kiss of death for any incumbent at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,731 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

A general election is likely soon, the Tories and Labour will take a hounding. If the Brexit Party decided to run in general election it could do a Trump and win, or win enough to be able to join forces with another to get into power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

I can picture Boris and Trump holding hands and skipping down the paddock. Thus, he will strike a bizarrely good deal with the US and get the UK out of the hole leaving dust to gather on the "border issue". He will retire after an illustrious career in 2024 when Trump completes his second term and the two of them will withdraw from public life together to Doonbeg

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

If Boris gets the gig and it is still a big if to get past the first stage of voting by MPs, then he will only be ousted as PM if the Tories lose an election. Unlikely Labour under Corbyn will get a clear mandate to govern. Cannot see the Brexit party appealing to voters at a GE. Like UKIP they will be seen as one trick ponies. Their support will scuttle back to the Tories.

Will depend greatly on how Brexit turns out and if the UK can weather the storm. I don't buy into this analysis here that the UK will fall off a cliff either. That scenario suits no one, including the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

A general election is likely soon, the Tories and Labour will take a hounding. If the Brexit Party decided to run in general election it could do a Trump and win, or win enough to be able to join forces with another to get into power.

Going to be difficult in the FPTP system. I would guess 40-50 seats, but having the ability to hold the balance of power. Whether the Brexit Party has staying power is another thing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Cal4567 wrote: »
    Going to be difficult in the FPTP system. I would guess 40-50 seats, but having the ability to hold the balance of power. Whether the Brexit Party has staying power is another thing though.

If they outpoll the Tories anything is possible, these are strange times. A general election this year with Brexit as the main issue could see both the Brexit party and the LibDems take 100+ seats which would leave the UK in an even bigger ungovernable mess than it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

There should be a never option in the poll.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

No - It won't

For the EU Elections people were voting for Farage essentially as it's a list system.

For a GE , they'd have to find 400+ candidates to actually stand for election in the various constituencies be competitive for winning an overall majority.

In FPTP, people will absolutely not vote for a randomer over a known quantity.

Bear in mind Farage has walked into an EU seat each time for the last 20 years , but has failed miserably to win an MP seat seven times in a row - And he has all the name recognition you could wish for, some unknown candidate hasn't a hope.

They'll be lucky to crack 30-40 seats , more that enough to be "king makers" without question , but absolutely zero chance of winning a majority.

I don't know about less than 365 days, but definitely fewer than 365 days.

Although I'd like to see him really expose himself as the fraud which he is. A slow, painful political humiliation, and take the rest of his fellow populists down with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Regardless if the UK leaves or extends, Boris or another, the Tory leader won't last much longer than October 31st.

Nobody will be happy with the outcome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

I agree. So the answer to the question could be:

Leader of the UK: less than a year
    Leader of England (and maybe Wales): who knows?

Advertisement