Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are spirits, creepy encounters, ghosts, seances, ouija boards etc proof of afterlife

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

I used t live in a house facing a cemetary.the weirdst thing about it was i used too see an old woman at night. She was always in the same spot beside the same grave. I never seen her leave or arrive.I don't live there anymore thank god. Hope she wasn't a goast ; ) she was always alone and I never seen her face it was always too dark. I'm sure she was just a poor grieving person. But graveyards creep me out . people who say they don't believe in goasts are mostly full of crap. I no a few places that they wouldn't spend a night alone for sure. There are some really old overgrown grave yards that are really isolated too. I suppose the people who don't believe would have no problem pitching a tent and spending the night in one without one thought of a goast. I very much doubt it ; )

I used to live in a house within a graveyard. I was in a turret room with gravestomes in the walls. Never anything spooky. There was a wierd thing up in the rafters that I wondered about once but when I climbed up there it was an old amber lamp. Lived there for a year, the graveyard was our garden. Never spooked once.

Come to think of it, slept rough in a few overgrown, old graveyards too, also got drunk in them when a teenager. Never spooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

nope there's a want in people to believe, bit like pareidolia were the mind makes a pattern or shape of something were none exist, faces or figures on mars or the moon etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Candie wrote: »
    Who needs evidence when you have a whole thread full of anecdotes!

BURN THE NON BELIEVER :mad:

:P

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Gerry Rio wrote: »
    You dont believe that one of the hundreds of stories in there had an real encounter with a spirit?

Got it in one.

People like to remember the dead. I see things most days that remind me of someone I used to know, but I don't assume she's trying to contact me from beyond the grave!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

OP, you asked a question and people are answering. You seem bemused that people aren't answering as you think they should, why ask at all?

Lots of people believe they've had experiences with ghosts or other paranormal entities, that doesn't mean they did but it also doesn't make them liars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

There are over 3 thousand posts in that "Creepy" thread.

3 thousand!

So lets say half those posts are replies and not stories, that leaves 1,500 claims of encounters.

They're all liars?

Liars? No, well I'd say at least most aren't. It's a thread of people seeing and experiencing weird ****. I've experienced some weird **** but it doesn't mean it was really ghosts or Jesus. It is possible for someone to see Jesus burnt into their toast, doesn't mean Jesus is real and that doesn't mean the event never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Totofan99

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    OP, you asked a question and people are answering. You seem bemused that people aren't answering as you think they should, why ask at all?

Lots of people believe they've had experiences with ghosts or other paranormal entities, that doesn't mean they did but it also doesn't make them liars.

This is a common problem with believers in the paranormal, conspiracy theorists, anti-vaxxers, etc. They've already decided what they want to believe, and that they're correct, so nothing anyone can say is going to change their minds. So why bother?

Yes OP, all of those things are proof of the afterlife. Absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

The only spirits I believe in are, at the moment, Christian Brothers Brandy and Triple Sec. 60%:40% over crushed ice. The peasants' Grand Marnier.

Sláinte!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

They're telling stories of spirit like encounters. That they believe in.

They're all wrong? All of them? You dont believe that one of the hundreds of stories in there had an real encounter with a spirit?

Unless that one of the hundreds has some evidence then, no, I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

But graveyards creep me out . people who say they don't believe in goasts are mostly full of crap. I no a few places that they wouldn't spend a night alone for sure. There are some really old overgrown grave yards that are really isolated too. I suppose the people who don't believe would have no problem pitching a tent and spending the night in one without one thought of a goast. I very much doubt it ; )

I can honestly say i would camp out in a graveyard and the thought of ghosts wouldn't cross my mind.
    The thing that would concern me is relatives of the deceased finding a 6 foot grown man camped out at the foot of their loved ones grave.

• Advertisement

I can honestly say i would camp out in a graveyard and the thought of ghosts wouldn't cross my mind.
    The thing that would concern me is relatives of the deceased finding a 6 foot grown man camped out at the foot of their loved ones grave.

Best to go to the really old parts, not many grieving those from the 1800s. ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Do graveyards not have the same rule as parks and public greens, the one that prohibits tents and temporary dwellings?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Ancesror worship?

You'd be Big In Japan :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

The question is badly phrased, since it assumes that encounters with ghosts (which are an unproven phenomena) are all entirely inexplicable by any other means.

I've read all through that thread (great thread, also the Mysteries thread is well-worth a read), and even contributed my own odd experiences to it. One or two did make me go "hm", but I'm not going to call it proof of anything. For a start, even "ghosts" might not prove an afterlife.

Say we take the hypothesis that something happens that is actually and totally inexplicable by known physics and normal means. We've totally ruled out creaking floorboards, methane, other chemical influences, over-active imagination, dreaming, someone arsing about, etcetera etcetera.

One commonly accepted hypothesis is that the life-force or spirit of a dead person is hanging around. A second is that some people are able to (generally unintentionally) affect things outside their physical reach. So already any "supernatural" phenomenon has two potential explanations and thus neither can be conclusively proved by a given phenomenon. If a tree falls in the woods and no-one's around to hear it, does it make a noise? Does a 'ghost' appear if there's no-one around to influence its appearance?

There's also the question of what -is- paranormal?
    How much is imagination accepted as being a valid issue? If lots of people feel "wrong" about a place (maybe they know it's got a bad history, it looks bad, cold breezes, etc.), what exactly is setting off the danger signals?

Basically, the whole thing is so woolly that you really can't call anything proof or even what exactly you're proving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Spirits, seances, ghosts and ouija boards are NOT proof of the afterlife... They do belong in the same category though... Listed under complete nonsense.
    I read that in Jeremy Clarkson's voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Something to think about - what if ghosts and supernatural forces are not actually people who have died, but are independent beings in their own right rather than just an extension of human beings?

Personally I do believe in the afterlife, but I find it odd that so many automatically correlate ghosts and spirits with deceased humans. What if they're their own "species", and exist entirely independent of the human race? What if they're born as ghosts to begin with, rather than just being another stage of something else?

/3AM thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I did experience something creepy in my life, and it convinced me that there is more going on than what is explainable. Even when i tried to break down how it may have been a coincidence, i cant do it.

Maybe we are not clever enough to find the data yet to prove it. although most in here seem to think they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

What do you think? Arent ghosts proof that there's something after all this?

There is something there. When it comes to seeing ghosts or other anomalies as such I never saw anything personally. But being sucked out of your body when in bed asleep and experiencing reality from a height above the home buildings and thinking and seeing real life move along while looking at it as if it was real waking life is strange indeed.

The impression I get is that when the physical body dies, only then the electrical energy from your body with memories intact exist in some form not understood yet. There is definitely something there but I just can't prove it.

And this is coming from an atheist. There is something there 100% The real mystery from a world society that refuses to acknowledge such things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

There is something there. When it comes to seeing ghosts or other anomalies as such I never saw anything personally. But being sucked out of your body when in bed asleep and experiencing reality from a height above the home buildings and thinking and seeing real life move along while looking at it as if it was real waking life is strange indeed.

The impression I get is that when the physical body dies, only then the electrical energy from your body with memories intact exist in some form not understood yet. There is definitely something there but I just can't prove it.

And this is coming from an atheist. There is something there 100% The real mystery from a world society that refuses to acknowledge such things.

One question, why do people only experience these outer body experiences when they are either asleep/on top of a high mountain/fasting etc?
    Is it what you say or could it be these states are necessary to experience such hallucinations.
    If I told you I was wide awake, well rested, had just eaten and was at a reasonable altitude and I had an outer body experience without losing consciousness. Would I be less or more believable?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Nurses apparently have no end of ghost stories.Quite a common sight in health care facilities.
    Heard of one case where they would wave at a deceased guy that that regularly appeared and carry on with their work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I bought some smoked cheese earlier in the week, can't find it now, and I'm positive I didn't eat it. That leaves two possibilities: either a ghost ate it or god made it disappear. Your move sceptics.

One question, why do people only experience these outer body experiences when they are either asleep/on top of a high mountain/fasting etc?
    Is it what you say or could it be these states are necessary to experience such hallucinations.
    If I told you I was wide awake, well rested, had just eaten and was at a reasonable altitude and I had an outer body experience without losing consciousness. Would I be less or more believable?

It's just an unknown at the moment because I tried to understand it many times in the past, but it's so vivid and real as in 100% waking life but clearer some-how, it's hard to explain it. Amazing though.

The weird interesting part of this experience is that when you are 'asleep' and you then feel the suction of being removed from your physical body to an awakening state is the strange part.

You go to bed and sleep, simple, but then you experience awakeness as you are being pulled out is the feeling and then when pulled out it feels like you are fully awake in real-time reality and you experience it this way as a fully awake scenario and not any kind of a dream.

I have no idea how to explain it but I myself had this so-called out of body experience many times in the past but the only way I can describe it is that it all feels like I am fully awake and I can see everything going on below on the street from around 150 feet or slightly above.

It's one hell of a visual that's for sure and basically you are fully awake but not in your physical body. I've no answers to it, but it is one hell of an experience to have. You know very clearly immediately that you are floating above a space whether it is in your room or high above your house, you are saying to yourself that this is crazy but you can see everything as natural as day. Whatever it is is very interesting to say the least.

Oh, there is one more thing about this. When you are out of the body in this feeling of reality... you sure as hell feel a jolt when you are sucked back into your physical body and it's like a person banged you hard on the chest and then you are wide awake wondering wtf just happened. The jolt being sucked back in is very strong and can give a person quite a shock.

Also lucid dreams are strange and amazing.

I still have lucid dreams and control them to an extent but sometimes they themselves are difficult to control as to stay in the lucid dream. Basically you are fast asleep but you awaken in your dream of complete lucidity, I mean fully awake in the dream and you will be saying to yourself that this is too real even though you know you are asleep and dreaming.

I once walked up a small cliff and there was a road there with 2 cars parked on the side of the road and a few people walking along and I immediatelly felt the heat of the sun on my face and put my hand over my forehead for a few seconds. Then I said to myself ok, I know I'm dreaming but this is just too real so I picked up some dust and small stones in my hand just to see how real this felt and I could feel them just like if I was fully awake and picking up the same in real waking life, and this made me think of reality.

How could I be fully awake and aware of everything but asleep at the same time, this is what I was asking myself in the lucid dream it was as real as you can imagine in real life. The human brain is an amazing thing, I just wish we had more information as to why you can be fully awake in a lucid dream and feel everything perfectly. A mystery for the time being, but I'm sure in the future we will have the correct answers. The after-life and out of body experience's are as facinating and strange as to seriously make a person think about what reality really is, even though we think we know what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Are jedis and sith lords proof of the force?

Good night, but regarding the after-life... I do believe the electrical energy after death holds and contains all your memory information somehow, that's the impression I get about it. I have a strong feeling that this is the case. You have to experience it to judge it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Figbiscuithead

I think I had a look in that thread once and never again. That kind of stuff irritates me. No, I don't think those people are liars and they're absolutely entitled to believe it and I won't ridicule them for believing it but I will say I absolutely and categorically don't believe they are examples of paranormal activity - I don't believe anything of that kind exists.

I think psychics, on the other hand, should be prosecuted for scamming people out of money as what they do could be potentially very damaging to many people in vulnerable situations. I know someone who's extremely worried about going blind having been told he would by someone a few years ago. It doesn't help that he's a hypochondriac but the supposed psychic who told him is an arsehole as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

ScumLord wrote: »
    Are jedis and sith lords proof of the force?

The books and movies are the proof... Like the bible is proof of a magic sky daddy.

Good night, but regarding the after-life... I do believe the electrical energy after death holds and contains all your memory information somehow, that's the impression I get about it. I have a strong feeling that this is the case. You have to experience it to judge it.

Congrats on having dreams.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I think I had a look in that thread once and never again. That kind of stuff irritates me. No, I don't think those people are liars and they're absolutely entitled to believe it and I won't ridicule them for believing it but I will say I absolutely and categorically don't believe they are examples of paranormal activity - I don't believe anything of that kind exists.

I think psychics, on the other hand, should be prosecuted for scamming people out of money as what they do could be potentially very damaging to many people in vulnerable situations. I know someone who's extremely worried about going blind having been told he would by someone a few years ago. It doesn't help that he's a hypochondriac but the supposed psychic who told him is an arsehole as far as I'm concerned.

There was a palliative care nurse in the AMA Forum recently,there's a few mentions of ghosts through the thread.
    Might be interesting if you get a chance to read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

FortySeven wrote: »
    We should respect peoples 'rights' to belief. No expectation to respect the belief itself.

I personally find it all disturbing. Belief without evidence. Faith. Etc.

Not much respect for the right to logic from the other side.
    Agreed, but can it be said for definite that those do not exist, fact?

We don't know.

• Advertisement

Azalea wrote: »
    Agreed, but can it be said for definite that those do not exist, fact?

We don't know.

We do. People just don't like having only this life so they have invented many different versions of another.

The argument that we don't really know is a desperate, last refuse of the believer usually. We have 2 generations before this stuff dies the death it's due. Religion and paranormal activity are in death throes thanks to education and the loss of religious control of the populous.

Any scientists gave up years ago. There is just NO evidence. Not a little, zero. In scientific terms this is debunked as an idea completely.

It's depressing. That's why people fight the rationality of it. Better to live the dream and go to God, yet these believers go to their grave scared. Why? I think it is because after a lifetime of trying to contact their God they got no response and the hope is just that.

True belief would have us queuing to get into heaven. Instead we fight till we drop. People know this stuff isn't real. They are just in denial.

The weak personalities and intellectual abilities of those who do blindly believe this stuff speak volumes more than any research ever done on the matter.

Not a popular view to label people liars, weak and stupid but that's my own belief in the matter. Harsh, but I'm yet to see evidence otherwise and we've had centuries to study it.

Advertisement