Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Joy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Yes, that is exactly what I said.

You wonder where I may have got the notion that your original question may have been loaded. You even seemed a bit offended that I suggested it. And yet, here we are with you proving multiple times that the question was exactly that.

There is a difference between saying prison is harsh and prison isn't cushy because they get mince pies. The current prison system still focuses on the outdated values involving punishment, rather than reform. Yes, some people cannot be reformed, and yes, some people will not be allowed out again even with reform. However, as it stands, people are in prison for petty crime, serving their time and then tossed out. Yet these people are expected to able to function and have a normal, uncriminal life afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Used to be easy when it was 3 or 4 to a cell, with a bucket to sh*t in in the corner?

Hard to believe

Indeed,but there are many factors.
    Being stuck in a cell alone rather than with your mates is not necessarily an improvement for some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

How do measure what's harsh ?

For me the loss of freedom , separation from loved ones , having to be confined in a cell for hours on end is harsh.

But don't they get free Xbox's, PS4's and pairs of Airmax to counteract that sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭sonny.knowles

For me the loss of freedom , separation from loved ones , having to be confined in a cell for hours on end is harsh.

It sounds like you believe that prison is harsh, full stop. Regardless of the actual conditions in Irish prisons.

What's your alternative?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Turtyturd wrote: »
    But don't they get free Xbox's, PS4's and pairs of Airmax to counteract that sure.

You should know,you work there.

Oh you're being sarcastic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

It sounds like you believe that prison is harsh, full stop. Regardless of the actual conditions in Irish prisons.

What's your alternative?

My experience is based on working in prisons and working with ex prisoners .

I do accept that prisons are absolutely necessary in any environment, there are some individuals who need time in prison.

It takes a lot to get a prison sentence in Ireland and some do get away with multiple convictions before serving any substantive sentence.

However I can give you any number of examples of people who went to prison and came out with significant mental ill health , their addiction still in existence ,limited or no support after prison , that's what makes it harsh.

What's your own experience ? You seem to get very abrasive and combative when anyone attempts to engage with you and seek to avoid really answering any questions , was your example the mince pie example ?

Your contribution was a comparison between prison being harsh and homelessness, they don't compare.

Turtyturd wrote: »

Do they?

I assume Airmax refers to Nike runners?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

What's your alternative?

For someone so eager to interrogate others, you really have been quite reluctant to pose some of the questions put to you on this thread.

My experience is based on working in prisons and working with ex prisoners .

I do accept that prisons are absolutely necessary in any environment, there are some individuals who need time in prison.

It takes a lot to get a prison sentence in Ireland and some do get away with multiple convictions before serving any substantive sentence.

However I can give you any number of examples of people who went to prison and came out with significant mental ill health , their addiction still in existence ,limited or no support after prison , that's what makes it harsh.

What's your own experience ? You seem to get very abrasive and combative when anyone attempts to engage with you and seek to avoid really answering any questions , was your example the mince pie example ?

No, I didn't bring mince pies into the thread.

I have no experience of prisons, I live a law abiding life, I don't know anyone who has been in prison, I have never visited a prison, hopefully I never will.

I am far more likely to be a victim of crime at some point in my life rather than a perpetrator. (My car was broken into once, thankfully that has been my only experience of crime to date, more than 10 years ago).

There is an underclass of criminals / repeat offenders that add nothing to society and only take from society. I have limited sympathy for these people.

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    For someone so eager to interrogate others, you really have been quite reluctant to pose some of the questions put to you on this thread.

What questions are these billy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I have no experience of prisons, I live a law abiding life, I don't know anyone who has been in prison, I have never visited a prison, hopefully I never will.

So the only possible way to have any experiemce in prisons is by being a prisoner...

Right, well I think that's my cue to leave the thread so!

No, I didn't bring mince pies into the thread.

I am far more likely to be a victim of crime at some point in my life rather than a perpetrator. (My car was broken into once, thankfully that has been my only experience of crime to date, more than 10 years ago).

There is an underclass of criminals / repeat offenders that add nothing to society and only take from society. I have limited sympathy for these people.

I know this is pointless, but lets go back to the prisons being not harsh or too harsh and bearing in mind your last post with fcuk all knowledge about prison , how do you measure what's "harsh" ?

I know this is pointless, but lets go back to the prisons being not harsh or too harsh and bearing in mind your last post with fcuk all knowledge about prison , how do you measure what's "harsh" ?

I never claimed they were harsh, so I don't see the relevance of my measurement of what's harsh. Irish prisons certainly aren't.

What questions are these billy?

This one...
    I expect them to lose their freedom.

Now what is it exactly that you expect?

And this one, which you responded to without ever even answering...

I never claimed they were harsh, so I don't see the relevance of my measurement of what's harsh. Irish prisons certainly aren't.

This one, too. You still haven't answered what you measurement of 'harsh' is...

• Advertisement

Sonny.Knowles

Twenty plus posts on a subject he has admitted to having absolutely no experience or knowledge of and incapable of engaging or answering questions on.

AH comedy gold at its finest.

Still waiting for an explanation of how Irish prisons are 'harsh'.

Just more of the usual PC crap of mollycoddling the prisoners and blaming everyone but them for their predicament.

I am bringing my goldfish for a walk , am I at your level yet ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

well they're hardly a fcuking holiday camp!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

What, in your opinion, should the experience of prison be like? Please be specific.

smash wrote: »

Jesus, what do you expect? They aren't being rewarded.

Keep posting , keep posting .

I am bringing my goldfish for a walk , am I at your level yet ?

Be careful out there, some scumbag who should be in prison will probably stamp on it.

Kev W wrote: »
    What, in your opinion, should the experience of prison be like? Please be specific.

Exactly as it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭VisibleGorilla

Looks like an absolute hellhole to me.

Oh right, you're one of those people that will argue with literally everything...

its called mountjoy because the guy mounting you is having joy doing so!

See post 60.

Exactly as it is now.

So what's the problem?

• Advertisement

So what's the problem?
    "I don't have a problem! What's your problem!!" - sonny.knowles ... probably

So what's the problem?

No idea, I didn't start the thread. Check with the PC do gooders, they seem to have a problem with it.

Nope, that was already explained by the poster who mentioned it - you even quoted the post where they did so. They also asked you a question in return in that same post, and you still have not answered it.
    Just more of the usual PC crap of mollycoddling the prisoners and blaming everyone but them for their predicament.
    Again no, nobody has done that here that I can see but feel free to try making those exceptionally weak straw man arguments. What has been pointed out is Norway, where prisons cells look like this and an emphasis is put on reforming prisoners, has a recidivism rate of about 1/3rd that of the US, which has prisons that look like this and an emphasis is put on punishing prisoners.

But it's becoming clear that if you're not trolling, you're just starved for attention and don't really have an opinion on the matter beyond disagreeing with other people's opinions, regardless of what they might be.

"I don't have a problem! What's your problem!!" - sonny.knowles ... probably

Nice one, smash.

its called mountjoy because the guy mounting you is having joy doing so!

If that's what they are into, let them at it I suppose.

Oh right, you're one of those people that will argue with literally everything...

Yeah, your holiday camp post was so much better that the crap I have posted. Well done.

Yeah, your holiday camp post was so much better that the crap I have posted. Well done.
    Thanks dude

Thanks dude

No problem, mate.

If that's what they are into, let them at it I suppose.

Do you feel sorry for them Sonny?

• Advertisement

No idea, I didn't start the thread. Check with the PC do gooders, they seem to have a problem with it.

Harsh? Tell that to the people sleeping rough.
    I hate this 'off you go' attitude that threads like this inevitably attract.

Most people have the morals to not commit offences that result in prison time. Doesn't mean that can't have an opinion on how harsh or easy life in prison is. Or are prisoners / ex prisoners the only ones allowed comment?
    I didn't say they needed to suffer more (in case that is aimed at me). But I do have an issue with people claiming the current conditions are 'harsh'. They aren't by any stretch of the imagination. Use of emotive terms like 'cages' is not helpful.

As for loss of freedom, they are in prison, what do you expect?

So if I understand you correctly:

a) you don't think Irish prison is harsh enough and that prisoners are mollycoddled
    b) you also think it should be exactly as it is
    c) but you consider the OP, who thinks it's not harsh enough, to have a problem with it that you don't share?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

All while

d) having no experience with or knowledge of prisons at all.

Do you feel sorry for them Sonny?

Is rape a reality in Irish prisons or a myth?

So if I understand you correctly:

a) you don't think Irish prison is harsh enough and that prisoners are mollycoddled
    b) you also think it should be exactly as it is
    c) but you consider the OP, who thinks it's not harsh enough, to have a problem with it that you don't share?

No, I think it is fine as is. I have stated that numerous times. I have an issue with people claiming it is harsh, hence the mollycoddling comment. I didn't say they are currently mollycoddled.

osarusan wrote: »
    All while

d) having no experience with or knowledge of prisons at all.

And of course you and the other posters have lots of experience and knowledge of it. Yeah right.

And of course you and the other posters have lots of experience and knowledge of it. Yeah right.

If you're going to dismiss others for their lack of direct experience then expect the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Has anyone been following the documentary series on tv3 about Mountjoy ? I just watched it their last night and boy do those lads have it sorted, TV's in the cell, mince pies for dinner, nude photo's of women on the wall and access to a gym area to pump the guns.

You forgot sex every morning.

If you're going to dismiss others for their lack of direct experience then expect the same.

So no one has anything to contribute here.

So no one has anything to contribute here.

According to you, maybe. If you're not interested in the discussion you have the option not to join in.

Some people who have posted in this thread literally work in the Irish prison system, which has already been pointed out to you and which you have replied to. Pretty sure you're on a wind up at this point, because no person on earth could possibly be this stupid.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Some people who have posted in this thread literally work in the Irish prison system, which has already been pointed out to you and which you have replied to. Pretty sure you're on a wind up at this point, because no person on earth could possibly be this stupid.

1 person who hasn't posted since. and *may* not have been telling the truth. :rolleyes:

Nice use of 'literally' though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement