Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Haka: What would AH suggest as the best response?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

c_man wrote: »
    I'd love to see their football team try it, can't find any footage of it though. Search says that Fifa banned their women's football team from performing it last year so that's that probably - http://fusion.net/story/148410/2015-womens-world-cup-haka-new-zealand/

The soccer team don't do a Haka because Maori culture doesn't allow girls to do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

Drop trow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

It was done for over a hundred years with little controversy or complaint. It's done by other NZ teams in other sports. It was even done by NZ players playing with Munster. Let them at it. It's tradition.

So is cannibalism.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Just moon the All Blacks...

...that'll learn 'em!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭You Mirin?

The most flamboyant, stupid dance they can possibly choreograph would be the best option. Doing it would not only be hilarious to the crowd but show that they don't take the Haka seriously while not outright offending them.

A mixture of some of these but have the entire squad in synch. Would be especially comical considering most of the players are absolute giants.

http://i.imgur.com/f4ndP.gif
    http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ltdxuoX2bq1r0e0ku.gif
    https://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/kruger-orchestra-2-3-131.gif
    https://33.media.tumblr.com/c34487a489155fd152caff150716cc54/tumblr_mpkl22P2td1rijijfo1_400.gif
    https://38.media.tumblr.com/5ae11f5088281dec4b62995aaadb2bb6/tumblr_muonr6jeDz1sgebk1o1_250.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Reenact a Crystal Swing video.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

soggy bikkie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

The Haka lost it's power when they reinterpreted it and dropped the jump (with hands up and knees bent) at the end. That was the most vital and powerful part of the whole ritual - it put the full stop at the end of the sentence! The All-Blacks have never been the same team since (one undeserved RWC victory apart) and WILL NOT win the RWC this year. The aura of invincibility died with that jump!

feargale wrote: »
    So is cannibalism.

There ya have it folks, the Haka is as bad as cannibalism :D

Seriously though I think the aul brothers in arms stare down is in order for the Haka:

• Advertisement

There ya have it folks, the Haka is as bad as cannibalism :D

Seriously though I think the aul brothers in arms stare down is in order for the Haka:

The prushuss Kiwis cry uf yerr doo thit. Yurr dusruspcktin the hucker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

But they don't. Time and time again the AB's have said they loved it when teams faced them down like that. Its the rugby authorities that don't like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭Wossack

Be warned, these will make you cringe!

actually thought the basketball one was pretty good :o

the others though :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Gotta be Riverdance, specifically the bit where they all dance into the long line. Then have two players spinning in front of them.

If nothing else, it'd confuse the hell out of the All Blacks.

Jayop wrote: »
    But they don't. Time and time again the AB's have said they loved it when teams faced them down like that. Its the rugby authorities that don't like it.
    Maybe you'd like to buy a bridge in Brooklyn? When we did it in '89. The prushurrss keewee croyed abbuttitt for yees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

Sing Ireland's Call AFTER the haka... that'll put them to sleep if nothing else will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

The whole thing is a bit precious, it's a insignificant set piece if you ask me these days. Might have meant something when it was an amateur sport but now it's a right sight, millionaire professional athletes leaping about like great eejits. Diferent if it was spontaneous. Sure you only have to look at their reactions here to see how quickly knickers get in a twist about the whole charade.

Do like the Aussies did previously, chant humpty dumpty at them while hop about slapping their thighs. Imagine them dressed in lederhosen or something.

They should start things off with a dance off, the Irish team leading the way by doing The Robot. Then when the NZ crowd get into the Haka, they should send a few guys in Leprechaun suits around the back to pants them.

That would make me watch the rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

Send some lad out the night before on the Guinness. Make sure he's locked before he goes to bed. Then in the morning feed him with senakot and beans and during the haka let the explosions take the New Zealanders by surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Right, here's the 4-1-1. Say some All Black is dissing your fly half, you give him one of these...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

I'd find the best response is probably to laugh at a bunch of what is mostly middle class white men trying to imitate a custom from an indigenous people who had their land taken off them......what they gonna do? throw a shape and stick their tongues out at you ??

who could fail to laugh at this shambles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Tonga the designated home team tonight.

As usual the away anthem is played first, then the home team's.

Yet Tonga had to do their Sipi Tau first!

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭Wossack

NZ's flying duck tonight outclassed by Tonga tonight imo! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Samoa's Siva Tau is much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'd have Darren Randolph punt it high up the pitch for Shane Long to belt past their keeper.

Keep yer feckin rugby!!!!

Whilst I do like rugby, its pretty much impossible to get an upset like that. 2nd in the world beaten by 54th, would be like Australia losing to Sweden in rugby. It's the worst thing about rugby, the lack of teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Cienciano wrote: »
    Whilst I do like rugby, its pretty much impossible to get an upset like that. 2nd in the world beaten by 54th, would be like Australia losing to Sweden in rugby. It's the worst thing about rugby, the lack of teams.

Or like South Africa losing to Japan ....oh wait hold on a min :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Respond by losing the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Candie wrote: »
    They should start things off with a dance off, the Irish team leading the way by doing The Robot. Then when the NZ crowd get into the Haka, they should send a few guys in Leprechaun suits around the back to pants them.

That would make me watch the rugby.

Racist stereotype.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Tonga the designated home team tonight.

As usual the away anthem is played first, then the home team's.

Yet Tonga had to do their Sipi Tau first!

:confused:

Home team challenges first. Learn the culture before criticising.

Do you know how much media is given in NZ to how Ireland, England, Wales whoever will react to the Haka? None. No one gives a ****e what they think of it. Less thought on the Haka and more on winning the game would be my advice.

Actually, why does this thread even exist? Are you going to lose to France and face NZ next week?

• Advertisement

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Home team challenges first. Learn the culture before criticising.
    Making it up as you go along. Got it.

Tonga V New Zealand in 2003

Tonga are the home team yet New Zealand challenge first

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

The sour, snarkiness in this thread is hilarious. It's like a bunch of little kids being nasty about the kid who has better toys than them. We have a better Rugby team than you! Get over it!

Your Kiwi coach is doing a brilliant job though so you'll probably make the semis providing you beat France.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

I think we shud draw a big x in centre of pitch and get 8 comely maidens in leather to dance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

The kiwi attitude is nauseating. I lived with some kiwi girls, they could not handle their team losing. It was frankly ridiculous.

I don't care who wins the world cup, anyone but New Zealand. As for the Haka, I just cringe when I see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    The sour, snarkiness in this thread is hilarious. It's like a bunch of little kids being nasty about the kid who has better toys than them. We have a better Rugby team than you! Get over it!

Your Kiwi coach is doing a brilliant job though so you'll probably make the semis providing you beat France.

Yes, and having the better rugby team is like soooo important isn't it. I mean, is that all your country has going for it? This is exactly what I mean about kiwis needing to get a life.:D

Racist stereotype.

Absolutely not.

It's a National stereotype.

• Advertisement

Might go and start a thread making silly negative comments about the Irish soccer team because it's much better than ours.

Yes, and having the better rugby team is like soooo important isn't it. I mean, is that all your country has going for it? This is exactly what I mean about kiwis needing to get a life.:D

Right so, because many of us are proud of our excellent rugby team, that of course leads to the obvious conclusion that the country has nothing else going for it. And we need to get a life?

Might go and start a thread making silly negative comments about the Irish soccer team because it's much better than ours.
    Will you have to do a haka before starting the thread?

Pretty harsh.

I don't see how taking pride in a teams success is a sign you need a life. Don't Irish people go crazy when a national team does well in a World Cup?

Yeah_Right wrote: »

Actually, why does this thread even exist? Are you going to lose to France and face NZ next week?

They are getting their excuses ready just in case; "They lost by 30 points in the quarter final because they were unsure how to 'respond' to the Haka". :D

• Advertisement

Will you have to do a haka before starting the thread?

Definately! The one that includes the throat slitting gesture!

Definately! The one that includes the throat slitting gesture!
    That's called Kapa O Pango.

You're lack of knowledge and your cultural ignorance is disgusting.

That's called Kapa O Pango.

You're lack of knowledge and your cultural ignorance is disgusting.

Did you google that?

I wouldn't expect most people on a Irish message board to know that, hence why I described the gesture rather than use the name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,206 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Can we do away with that Irelands call ****e while we are getting rid of customs we don't enjoy?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

[QUOTE=Fleawuss;97285348
    For the hypocrisy of white New Zealanders adopting a cultural relic from the people they dispossessed? [/QUOTE]

Not all the players are white.

To those going on about white NZ's of European origin doing the Haka? Perhaps we should take a leaf out of your book when it comes to cultural relations. Wasn't a new song invented because some participants didn't want to sing the real national anthem? A shining beacon of cultural harmony so you are!

I'm surprised to see all the negative comments about the Haka. It's just an unusual tradition, like singing the Fields of Athenry. I think it's cool, all those muscley guys looking all fierce...

At least it's not a real war

To those going on about white NZ's of European origin doing the Haka? Perhaps we should take a leaf out of your book when it comes to cultural relations. Wasn't a new song invented because some participants didn't want to sing the real national anthem? A shining beacon of cultural harmony so you are!
    It's not the real national anthem. There's no real all Ireland national anthem.

katydid wrote: »
    It's not the real national anthem. There's no real all Ireland national anthem.

OK my mistake, but I find the comments that make negative connotations about cultural relations in NZ (which are by no means perfect) a bit pot/kettle given the history of cultural relations here.

OK my mistake, but I find the comments that make negative connotations about cultural relations in NZ (which are by no means perfect) a bit pot/kettle given the history of cultural relations here.
    I agree. I think it's great to see New Zealanders, or native or European ethnicity embracing the Maori heritage. And isn't it better to have war dances in a sport than for real?

• Advertisement
Advertisement