Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Haka: What would AH suggest as the best response?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Give them the finger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Sport is such a psychological battle some kind of response is necessary. It's given far too much respect and reverence by opposing teams.

I fully agree that it's an advantage, but as far as I know World Rugby have rules in place. You have to stand looking at it from your own half behind your 10m line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Now watch me whip. Now watch me nay-nay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Massimo Cassagrande

I think it looks brilliant - the Haka - watch it, respectfully, give them a big round of polite but slightly slow applause, then forget it 100% and get on with your own game. It's like standing respectfully for an opponents national anthem - it has to be done, but let's not get all carried away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Cienciano wrote: »
    I fully agree that it's an advantage, but as far as I know World Rugby have rules in place. You have to stand looking at it from your own half behind your 10m line.

Really? Now that needs a response!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Narcissus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

Lol. If only rent-a-hippo existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Weren't the Lions perceived to have disrespected the Haka during their first test match with NZ in 2005. In didn't end too well for captain Brian O'Driscoll if you remember.

• Advertisement

Fleawuss wrote: »
    Really? Now that needs a response!

Just googled it, found this:
    http://www.allblacks.com/News/14266/irb-confirms-haka-will-not-be-challenged

Cienciano wrote: »

So the required response of the suits is line up and face it. I prefer the AH response.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Bang out the angelus bells and do a good rosary. We'll outdo their voodoo with our own. They won't know what hit em

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

I dunno you could try respecting it maybe! Just a suggestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

buried wrote: »
    Bang out the angelus bells and do a good rosary. We'll outdo their voodoo with our own. They won't know what hit em

I was going to ask if there was anything to be said for another mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Jayop wrote: »
    I was going to ask if there was anything to be said for another mass.

Could put them to sleep alright, could put our lads to sleep too though and then it would be a terrible dust up

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭Patser

Release a herd of flaming pigs at them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭booooring!

Each member of the opposing team should bring out a puppy with them and bite it's head off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

booooring! wrote: »
    Each member of the opposing team should bring out a puppy with them and bite it's head off.

winner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Do one back like Munster did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭booooring!

Bukake?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Dodgy moustache alert ^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Sing the song from the new EIR ad and maybe do a dance or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

What's the best response to it apart from winning the match?

As soon as they start the Haka the other team should start fapping.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 230 ✭✭garrixfan

Its pretty damn cringey tbh, but it is sure as hell a lot cooler than when it was a bunch of scrawny geeky white nerds doing it 30 years ago. Even now its lame seeing a load of European descent men doing it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 230 ✭✭garrixfan

Narcissus wrote: »

That basically just looks like how every team react to it, I remember when I was a kid I thought the thing was good, but now its lame, just like The Undertaker or Kane in wrestling became lame. Grown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

garrixfan wrote: »
    That basically just looks like how every team react to it, I remember when I was a kid I thought the thing was good, but now its lame, just like The Undertaker or Kane in wrestling became lame. Grown

I agree with you. Big grown men shouting and doing a silly dance. The opposing teams should just take whatever fine the IRB gives them and ignore the haka and carry on warming up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,995 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We could do a Riverdance opposite it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Pink Lemons

Omackeral wrote: »
    Do one back like Munster did.

One thing about the Irish rugby crowd, they are respectful as hell. Could hear a pin drop while NZ were doing that. Same goes when someone is taking a penalty. Far cry from the English crowd booing during Fiji's haka in the opening game :rolleyes:

Edit: Just seen the video doesn't show the NZ part, here it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

The opposite team who have to stand and watch all the pageantry should then have their national anthem played,so in order of sequence it should be new Zealand anthem,haka then other teams anthem, unless of course the all blacks are at home, then the order should be reversed!

• Advertisement

One thing about the Irish rugby crowd, they are respectful as hell.

Well...Ulster fans have been accused of sectarian abuse in the past. I remember Trevor Brennan wading into the crowd to sort one out. And players like Owen Farrell have ben jeered as they lined up kicks. But traditionally rugby was very much a class based game, and obviously people from Foxrock and Montenotte are that bit more polite than Bohs fans from Darndale. Even the huge numbers that started following it after the Celtic Tiger respected those traditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Just laugh at them. A bunch of middle class, middle aged, white men doing a Maori War Dance. It is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Collie D wrote: »
    Didn't an All Black try to use Brian O'Driscoll's head as a shovel the last time an Irishman tried that?

Was the first test of a Lions Match. BOD threw a few blades of grass in the air after the Haka, think it was said afterwards it was a traditional tribal response to it. NZ in turn did an illegal spear tackle in the opening minutes on him, ending his tour there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Sensible response - Just ignore it and keep warming up

What I'd secretly like to see response - Irish lads just Riverdance the whole way through it, make it totally daft.

I actually dont mind the haka. I wouldnt want to see it banned nor do i think it's particularly ridiculous or any of the other charges being leveled at it but if the point of it is to psyche the other team out i think it's preposterous that the other team has to just stand there and watch it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I'd say the vast majority love facing it for the first time after that it becomes a bore I'd imagine.

There's always a delay to the start of the game too as players leave the ABs calm down and getting the adrenaline going.

The Georgian response was fantastic for a "minnow" team, there was no intimidation, some of their players were even smiling at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 looseliver

and obviously people from Foxrock and Montenotte are that bit more polite than Bohs fans .

How Many Bohs games have you been to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The Haka is the pre match ritual of the All Blacks, New Zealand's rugby union team. Essentially it's a Maori war dance to intimidate opponents. Teams tend to line up to face it and try to face it down. We have never beaten the All Blacks in an international. What's the best response to it apart from winning the match? Turn your back to show contempt for primitive rituals? For the hypocrisy of white New Zealanders adopting a cultural relic from the people they dispossessed? Not taking it seriously and giving them the finger? Bombard it with garryowens? Riverdance? What says AH?

Nothing

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

If the Haka is so great, how come the Maori are ruled by white Europeans and the Queen of England is the head of state?
    The Maori did much much better than any brown people who were colonised by whites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Just face em and get on with, take the whats a big deal approach.
    The saffas, aussies and argies play them twice a year and they don't have this tiresome "what should we do" dilemma every time.

No one bitchs about the islanders doing theres or giving them an unfair advantage , it only becomes an issue with people when its a team probably about to kick their arse regardless.

What i will say though,

If Ireland do have to face the All Blacks next week, with the inevitable Haka talk and whinging over Irelands Call, kill two birds with one stone and get the irish fans to belt out Amhain na Bhfiann while they are doing it. The nordies won't mind and the players don't have to make eejits of themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Exactly, never heard one complaint about Fiji, Samoa or Tonga's war dance... because we beat them well usually.

New Zealand are very good at Rugby.
    The Haka has F all to do with that.

looseliver wrote: »
    How Many Bohs games have you been to?

Plenty. More at Turners X than Dublin, granted.

Hey, I'm not rooting for polite here, I'm simply making the point that when rugby fans bang on about the respect the fans have, it's because they tend to come from a certain social background or people who wannabe from it. And when they talk about respect for the ref, historically medical students are nice to Consultants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

There can only be one response to the Haka. Imagine a team of fully grown men letting rip with this:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Do what David Campese did at the 1991 World Cup. Ignored it and did his own warmup. NZ are like a bunch of children if anyone "disrespects" them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

It's just an other form of bulling, ha ha bet that would get it banned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Do what David Campese did at the 1991 World Cup. Ignored it and did his own warmup. NZ are like a bunch of children if anyone "disrespects" them.

Ya i just think a purposeful reaction to it by the players to it just fuels the whole commotion over it , AB get more stubborn over it start coming up with new routines etc. and the cycle just keeps turning.

Don't think the aussies have done anything in a long time beside playing "matilda" over the PA after it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Riverdance! ...............er wait was that mentioned? 100 ****en times jesus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

flas wrote: »
    The opposite team who have to stand and watch all the pageantry should then have their national anthem played,so in order of sequence it should be new Zealand anthem,haka then other teams anthem, unless of course the all blacks are at home, then the order should be reversed!
    The first time a national anthem was sung at an international match was in 1905 when Wales hosted New Zealand. After performing the Haka the Welsh team and crowd responded with Land of My Fathers. A century later this order, Haka followed by Welsh anthem, was repeated.

The next year Wales wanted to continue with this but New Zealand refused. Wales insisted and New Zealand threw the toys out of the pram, performing the Haka in their dressing room rather then on the pitch.

The first time a national anthem was sung at an international match was in 1905 when Wales hosted New Zealand. After performing the Haka the Welsh team and crowd responded with Land of My Fathers. A century later this order, Haka followed by Welsh anthem, was repeated.

The next year Wales wanted to continue with this but New Zealand refused. Wales insisted and New Zealand threw the toys out of the pram, performing the Haka in their dressing room rather then on the pitch.
    "We must be allowed to perform out sacred* war dance without any response"

*so important and respected that we'll sell it to whatever company bids the highest for using it in advertising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Just laugh at them. A bunch of middle class, middle aged, white men doing a Maori War Dance. It is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen.

That's probably the best response, just laugh at the white guys of European extraction thinking they're Maori. It would be like a US national team coming onto the field and doing a native American Indian dance. Completely stupid and laughable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I'm all for respecting it. What I don't like is that we aren't allowed two anthems when playing away but they can do the Haka home or away...

The actual anthems that we use are another discussion entirely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement