Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eddie Rockets

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

gara wrote: »
    Your arrogance is actually insufferable

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Cheese fries are disgusting there and must be made from cheese powder. Smells like hot sick. Everything else is fine but very overpriced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

I have to say I actually like the food there, it used to be quite expensive a few years ago before the deals they have now etc but now its about the same as BK or Mcds pricewise with most of the stuff on the menu.
    Whenever I go there or have gone im always stuffed after it, so i dont think small portions really tbh
    All depends on what you get tbh, the baskets for 6.50 etc although great value are kinda small if your actually hungry so youd probably need something else with it.

The only downfall to me would be the closest they have to anything like curry chips etc is chilli fries which isnt the same imho :( , but I do love their nachoes, pineapple burger thingy sans sauce or their veggie burger, shakes and apple pie, or the kids bangers and mash meal with a strawberry shake when they serve it :D mmmmmm yummy, damn i want that now though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Love eddie rockets, Film in the Eye in galway and eddie rockets after. Great way to spend an evening and about 40euros.

At least your getting a proper burger, not some shíte mcnastys,bk and supermacs serve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

I'm kinda foodie-ish/into healthy stuff but I wouldn't judge people for enjoying junkfood or claim to know why they do it... and I quite enjoy the odd junkfood treat myself.
    I prefer the iconic Buddy Cadillac's in Mullingar. Damn good eatin'.
    Everyone knows that Eddie Rockets is just a rip off of Buddy Cadillacs Diner in Mullingar.

If you like good food, good fun, and a whole lot of crazy crap on the walls,
    then come on down to Buddy Cadillac's All-American diner.;)
    Except no old people - they're not covered by the insurance.

Yep, another Buddy's fan here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I always just assumed eddie rockets was a rip off of TGI Fridays tbh. Either way I dont really care, they're both delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Answer to OP: Two-for-one burger vouchers on the back of receipts.

Everyone else: I get that their burgers are nicer than McD's or BK's, but it's still not amazing.
    The burger without the dressings is just a grey'ed slab of mince with a tiny bit of pepper and salt.

Anyone in Cork - go get a Double Bacon Cheese Burger from The Fish Wife...
    Un.
    Be.
    Lievable.

That's a burger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MisterEpicurus

Their food is awful. Not Supermacs bad, but still bad.
    gara wrote: »
    The fact that most of their outlets are regularly packed would suggest otherwise

What a load of crap! Most McDonald's outlets are equally packed and I'm sure you don't admit that their food isn't awful!

There are many defences you can make for Eddie Rockets as many people here have done, but this particular one is just plain daft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,497 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Eating at Eddie Rockets is the same as playing the lotto, a tax on idiots.

???

Anyway....I love the stuff they put on the chips (Papricca maybe?). Consdiering a QP meal in McDonalds is about 7 quid, a classic combo in Eddies pisses all over it for the extra two euro or so.

Because of the combo deal I rarely get anything else but the chicken tenders and strawberry shake or quite decent.

If people call the food there garbage, at least they can admit its a couple of steps up from McDonalds?

Sat at the counter in O'Connell Street recently when I got a burger, actually slabs of mince going onto the grill rather than a crappy patty, the veg always tastes fresher on the burger as well.

Nobody is calling it the best restaurant in the world but when it comes to fast food franchises I would say it is the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

very average and pricey, thunder-road cafe in temple bar is a much better us style diner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,497 ✭✭✭✭noodler

rossie1977 wrote: »
    very average and pricey, thunder-road cafe in temple bar is a much better us style diner

Had the food once in Thunder Road and thought it was an absolute disgrace.

I got some barely heated frozen veg and a questionable chicken fillet that was absolutely smothered in some tasteless gravy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

mikom wrote: »
    crazygeryy wrote: »
    Anyone else think when they give you a burger the plates are to small? Ingredients fall every where except on the plate.

Small plates make portions look bigger.
    It's done for a reason.

It may be done for a reason that doesn't make it good.bigger plates please.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭omgitsthelazor

It saddens me there are people who'd criticise our nicest eatery. This is why we can't have nice things. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Atomic Burger and Chilli Cheese Fries for the win!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

cocoshovel wrote: »
    I always just assumed eddie rockets was a rip off of TGI Fridays tbh. Either way I dont really care, they're both delicious.

It's a rip off of Johnny Rockets - actually not so much a rip off as blatant idea theft.

http://www.johnnyrockets.com/aboutus/

Anyway at 8.50 including bottomless coffee the biker breakfast is fly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

I like it! It's good when you want to go somewhere casual and have a chat with mates. Chicken wings/chicken fillet burger and Oreo malt nom nom nom nom nom!

And I say fair play to them that they realised that they had to bring in deals to keep the customers! They have mini burger/fries baskets for €6.50 which is better value than what they were offering a few years ago!

Very tempted to drive down for some now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

Eddie's is grand. Nothing amazing but a good cheap meal sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

God I love Eddie Rockets.

Chicken wings to start. Tried Elephant ans Castle once and it was the worst meal I've ever paid for.

Chocolate malt......taste sensation.

M50 or a Smokestack.....oh ye.

Regulate fries or possibly garlic and cheese depending on the mood.

If I feel like treating myself for lunch their Club Sandwich is great.

It's not cheap but for 3euros more it's better than any other fast food joint. You won't be hungry in an hour after Eddie Rockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Overpriced, messy, small portions...

Why on Earth does anyone eat there?

:mad:

People must be incapable of independent thought these days as this notion is just nonsense in recent months/years. Ten years ago, it was over priced. Now, it is perfectly reasonable for the money, is generally a nice place to hang out and the food is pretty good.

Less than 10 euro for a burger, fries and a drink and not as take away, is damn reasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Sky King wrote: »
    It's a rip off of Johnny Rockets - actually not so much a rip off as blatant idea theft.

http://www.johnnyrockets.com/aboutus/

Anyway at 8.50 including bottomless coffee the biker breakfast is fly.

I wouldn't call it idea theft. However, Eddie Rockets is styled after Johnny Rockets. The owner of Eddie Rockets, Niall Fortune probably went over to the USA and identified a gap in the Irish market for a 50s style diner. Once the demand was tested, it transpired to be a complete success. From there, the chain gradually increased in size to the 42 branch strong brand it is today. In fact, there are now stores in Ireland, England, Wales and Spain.

Similarly, Supermac's capitalized on the success of McDonalds. However, unlike the Eddie Rockets/Johnny Rockets comparison, Supermac's and McDonalds co-exist within the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I used to like Eddie Rockets when I was a teen, but I'm not a fan now.

The veggie burgers are disgusting. I like their sweet potato fries though and their chocolate malts.

I think it is very overpriced and the hygiene levels are generally very poor - a lot worse than McDonalds in my experience.

I wouldn't judge anyone else for eating there though - I eat junk food in other places, I just don't like Eddie Rockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Food is good and they have a good variety of stuff you wouldn't find elsewhere. However, it's not so good that I'd pay their prices. I'd rather a Burger King.

I only go to Eddie Rob-your-pockets, as my friend calls it, when someone else is paying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Similarly, Supermac's capitalized on the success of McDonalds. However, unlike the Eddie Rockets/Johnny Rockets comparison, Supermac's and McDonalds co-exist within the country.

Supermacs is totally different to McDonalds. Supermacs just started as Mac's diner and Pat McDonagh developed and expanded it.

Conversely, Eddie Rockets is a complete carbon copy rip off of someone else's themed resturaunt idea - he even stole the name ffs!

Nice food though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Gourmet Burger Kitchen's much better IMO.

had a meal there the other day

there are yummy my burger was tiny tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I like a good burger, I just don't like their burgers. I would much rather go somewhere like GBK. I reckon people only eat in Eddie Rockets due to lack of choice, or because they don't realise there are better places out there.

GBK - Now there's a rip off over rated burger joint

At least Eddie Rockets do good milkshakes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I wouldn't call it idea theft. However, Eddie Rockets is styled after Johnny Rockets. The owner of Eddie Rockets, Niall Fortune probably went over to the USA and identified a gap in the Irish market for a 50s style diner. Once the demand was tested, it transpired to be a complete success. From there, the chain gradually increased in size to the 42 branch strong brand it is today. In fact, there are now stores in Ireland, England, Wales and Spain.

Damn straight it's identity theft. Eddie Rockets is a carbon copy of Johnny Rockets bar the exhorbitant prices. I like the food in Eddie's but the service tends to be sh1te and it's way, way over-priced.

Few of us went there last Wednesday (July 4th) after a run through the city and we were waiting that long to be served we left. I had worked out my meal (burger, fries, drink) was gonna cost me €15 but ended up going to McD's a few doors down (Stillorgan) instead. I was paying for myself and two buddys and all three of us were fed for €15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Paparazzo wrote: »
    GBK - Now there's a rip off over rated burger joint

At least Eddie Rockets do good milkshakes

I don't get milkshakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

All day biker breakfast is the best thing about Eddie Rockets. Prefer not to eat in there otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Horrible food overrated small portions

Advertisement