Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Alarm

Options
  • 08-01-2020 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭

Anyone got one? Looking for some feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

From what I've read, make sure your home insurance company accepts it as a home security alarm system. If they don't then they won't pay out if you have a claim.

I have Ring Doorbell Pro and it's excellent. Really happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

John_Mc wrote: »
    From what I've read, make sure your home insurance company accepts it as a home security alarm system. If they don't then they won't pay out if you have a claim.

I have Ring Doorbell Pro and it's excellent. Really happy with it.

From reading in the home security system forum telling your insurance company that you have an alarm is a waste of time, you get a minimal discount but they have an easy get out if you don't use your alarm correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Im looking at the Ring and the Yale.

In terms of price they are both coming in just under £900 but that is without the Camera indoor/out. Ring by the looks of it has the better camera to the Yale system but I am not sure and trying to read up on it at the moment.

Not sure about Ring integration, I like the integration between Yale and Philips as long term I plan to go down that route anyway so having the flashing lights would make sense. Need to read on Ring in terms of integration

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭caddy16

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Im looking at the Ring and the Yale.

In terms of price they are both coming in just under £900 but that is without the Camera indoor/out. Ring by the looks of it has the better camera to the Yale system but I am not sure and trying to read up on it at the moment.

Not sure about Ring integration, I like the integration between Yale and Philips as long term I plan to go down that route anyway so having the flashing lights would make sense. Need to read on Ring in terms of integration

£900 without cameras seems very expensive for ring or yale from the prices I've seen?

caddy16 wrote: »
    £900 without cameras seems very expensive for ring or yale from the prices I've seen?

That’s just high level without looking around the websites for cheaper

Also I need a lot of kit to cover the house....22 sensors you start with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

I'm looking at the Ring system to replace my old Astec 63DV, it looks good.

Have you considered buying via the US and maybe using the An Post AddressPal service? https://addresspal.anpost.ie/

US Ring prices are much better but you may have to pay customs - https://shop.ring.com/products/alarm-security-kit-14-piece?variant=17900827803737

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭NewClareman

I’ve look at the ring doorbell, more than one, I’ve always been put off by the company’s poor data privacy record. This report would tend to confirm those concerns. Basically they collect and sell a wide range of data to third parties. They also tried to cover their tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,311 ✭✭✭✭ted1

That’s just high level without looking around the websites for cheaper

Also I need a lot of kit to cover the house....22 sensors you start with

Thats a lot of sensors. Are you sure you need that many? I know lots of companies are suggesting using PIRs instead of window sensors

ted1 wrote: »
    Thats a lot of sensors. Are you sure you need that many? I know lots of companies are suggesting using PIRs instead of window sensors

Yes, wife wants to be able to walk around interior with alarm on so PIR a problem

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

ted1 wrote: »
    Are you sure you need that many? I know lots of companies are suggesting using PIRs instead of window sensors

They are not doing that for the benefit of the customer as it delivers a less secure system that has to be disarmed when the occupants are at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

I’ve look at the ring doorbell, more than one, I’ve always been put off by the company’s poor data privacy record. This report would tend to confirm those concerns. Basically they collect and sell a wide range of data to third parties. They also tried to cover their tracks.

I was put off when I discovered they were owned by Amazon, you just know a "sorry, we were accidentally recording you in your homes and sharing the footage with third-parties. It won't happen again." type story is on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭NewClareman

nc6000 wrote: »
    I was put off when I discovered they were owned by Amazon, you just know a "sorry, we were accidentally recording you in your homes and sharing the footage with third-parties. It won't happen again." type story is on the way.

Yep, the level of surveillance were becoming used to is unreal. Ring cameras have already been misused by third parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

So has anyone purchased a Ring system? Looking into them at the minute with a view to buying.

markc1184 wrote: »
    So has anyone purchased a Ring system? Looking into them at the minute with a view to buying.
    Keep flipping between Ring & Ajax myself! No doubt Ajax seems a better system but at a premium. Been permanently as home now has delayed my decision!

Kepp just about buying and then dont....no idea why because I have bought all sorts of s**t in the mean time

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Kepp just about buying and then dont....no idea why because I have bought all sorts of s**t in the mean time

I bought the Yale alarm system, I used it once and the robot vacuum cleaner set it off, haven't turned it on since #firstworldhomeautomationproblems :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

Keep flipping between Ring & Ajax myself! No doubt Ajax seems a better system but at a premium. Been permanently as home now has delayed my decision!

I ended up buying a Ring 7 piece kit when I seen it on special a few weeks back and I'll add sensors and contacts to it as they are needed. I'm waiting to install it when the new door and windows go in, so I'll report back when I have in fitted a few weeks.

I ended up buying a Ring 7 piece kit when I seen it on special a few weeks back and I'll add sensors and contacts to it as they are needed. I'm waiting to install it when the new door and windows go in, so I'll report back when I have in fitted a few weeks.

I had that special 3 times in the cart and then bought Apple Watch instead :-)

Got the Ring Alarm during the week and have it nearly fully installed. Strangely enough, Amazon wouldn't sell me more than 10 contact points in one go, including those in the start kit.

Installation was easy and it's great to have it all integrated with outside cameras and doorbells. My base station is using Vodafone for backup 3G.

Great price too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I should have gotten the pet stuff for the vacuum, I've setup a seperate alarm just for the doors opening but I haven't gotten into the habbit of setting the alarm, more laziness than technology issues at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Clareman wrote: »
    I bought the Yale alarm system, I used it once and the robot vacuum cleaner set it off, haven't turned it on since #firstworldhomeautomationproblems :pac::pac::pac:

which yale one? im loooking into those at the moment.

phill106 wrote: »
    which yale one? im loooking into those at the moment.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PNGQ962/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_w-X7EbBE5HHJQ

That's what i got, I didnt put up the door/window sensors as they were awkward for my doors, I didnt put up the external siren either as I didn't have access to a ladder. Seems a very decent alarm, I've never used it though so an awful waste really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Clareman wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PNGQ962/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_w-X7EbBE5HHJQ

That's what i got, I didnt put up the door/window sensors as they were awkward for my doors, I didnt put up the external siren either as I didn't have access to a ladder. Seems a very decent alarm, I've never used it though so an awful waste really.

Looks good, would you be interested in selling off the sensors you didnt use?
    Guessing you are in clare too!
    I havent bought it yet, but was leaning towards one in that range.

I'll probably use them, my plan was to put them up for when we were going on holidays but that's going to happen this year

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Rx713B

Got one last night ****ing quality system

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I've a PIR I would sell off, using the alarm on the shed and have contacts on the door and window, PIR inside and have a spare PIR which obviously wont be used since its a single room.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

I got the alarm including cameras from the US using AddressPal as it was way cheaper than this side of the pond.

It works pretty well and is easy to set up, sometimes you simply cannot view the cameras I have 500Mb broadband with Virgin, the range extender isn't worth a ****e.

Also one of my sensors is faulty so I ordered one and two spares from the US using AddressPal (the EU and US systems are not compatible). The US sensors are 2nd generation and $19.99 each, so it was about $65 including shipping to US AP. However, their shipping company split the order, shipping each sensor separately :mad: so each sensor cost $19.99 + €16.99 (AP) and they put the cost on two of the boxes so even though shipped separately(no VAT if under €22) I have been charged €34 in VAT and An Post charged, so it worked out at €46 per sensor.

In terms of their plans, you are essentially being billed €10 a month for storage of the video footage and 10% discount off products(no use if you buy from us store like I did). In the US they get 2nd gen equipment, 10% discount and monitoring for $10.

If you are buying it will work out better in the long run to buy from the EU, hope this helps.

Finally going to buy a self monitored alarm and having some amazon vouchers coupled with the prime sale, ring seems the best option.
    Any feedback from people who have it installed?

• Advertisement

Finally going to buy a self monitored alarm and having some amazon vouchers coupled with the prime sale, ring seems the best option.
    Any feedback from people who have it installed?

Have mine a year now and no regrets at all. Would recommend it

Advertisement