Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tenet (Christopher Nolan) *spoilers from post 475*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I'll definitely go to see it but am beginning to tire of the Nolan/Zimmer "big" look and sound if I'm honest

You're in luck, this one will only be half as "big".

Decent trailer. I think Nolan's tendency towards epic feel and vague quotes in his trailers means you don't get the story spoiled which is nice.

Now is not the time for exposition... That comes later.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

58oVMi.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'll definitely go to see it but am beginning to tire of the Nolan/Zimmer "big" look and sound if I'm honest

Nolan left Zimmer on the bench this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

I am wondering about this, Interstellar was a mindf*ck but just enough to still make it a great film, I fear this could just step a little too far, I like to enjoy a film and not need a pHD in quantum physics to understand.

Hopefully I'm wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭p to the e

pixelburp wrote: »
    I still don't get the core conceit here; isn't it just time flowing backwards? what would be the benefit in that?

Also, have to laugh at the distinctly English Kenneth Branagh once again playing a Russian mob leader :D

I think it might be that they can make time go backwards while they continue as normal so if they run out of bullets then just pull them out of the wall but that's just my guess.

That was my first take about Branagh aswell. He loves playing that Russian villain. Also for an English guy Patinson is doing a strange English accent. Lloyd Grossman meets John Hurt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Sooooo, a rip off of last nights Rick and Morty????

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I still don't get the core conceit here; isn't it just time flowing backwards? what would be the benefit in that?

Also, have to laugh at the distinctly English Kenneth Branagh once again playing a Russian mob leader :D

I think it's some variation on the idea of time inversion or reversal:
    Time reversal, in physics, mathematical operation of replacing the expression for time with its negative in formulas or equations so that they describe an event in which time runs backward or all the motions are reversed. A resultant formula or equation that remains unchanged by this operation is said to be time-reversal invariant, which implies that the same laws of physics apply equally well in both situations, that the second event is indistinguishable from the original, and that the flow of time does not have any naturally preferred direction in the case of fundamental interactions. A motion picture of two billiard balls colliding, for example, can be run forward or backward with no clue to the proper time direction of the event.

https://www.britannica.com/science/time-reversal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭micks_address

Whats the release date for this? Will we see any summer blockbusters in the cinema this year?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think it's some variation on the idea of time inversion or reversal:

https://www.britannica.com/science/time-reversal

You know, you say that like it's a simple explanation lol; read that snippet a few times and I still don't understand how that'll effect the film. Surely once time is reversed, the action just proceeds again as normal? Oh god this is going to be nightmare to untangle isn't it? :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Better off not trying to figure out what's going on.

One thing is with someone like Chris Nolan... you'd have to feel the pressure to baffle your audience every time. Sooner or later you're going to jump the shark.

Still think it'll be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Caught this trailer a few days ago and a strange one for a Nolan film, as it gives one a fair idea of what to expect. Perhaps a tactic to keep people interested in these uncertain times.

Not sure about Pattinson after that trailer, either the cut was jarring or his lines feel flat.

All about Tamwar from EastEnders getting his big break.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

All about Tamwar from EastEnders getting his big break.
    He was the lead in a Danny Boyle movie which made $150M at the box office.. I think that moment has passed! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

You're in luck, this one will only be half as "big".

Decent trailer. I think Nolan's tendency towards epic feel and vague quotes in his trailers means you don't get the story spoiled which is nice.

Now is not the time for exposition... That comes later.

I got a real Inception vibe off it - everything looks really stylish and epic, but I haven't a feckin notion what's going on.

I'm in anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Basq wrote: »
    He was the lead in a Danny Boyle movie which made $150M at the box office.. I think that moment has passed! ;)

Well I'd compare it to Tom Hardy, someone who was accomplished as an actor and had notable appearances such as Bronson pre Inception, but it really is that film that took him to another level in the eye of Hollywood.

I note as well that Tenet is his only notable work in the can right now but I imagine this will change after Tenet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

shrewdness wrote: »
    I got a real Inception vibe off it - everything looks really stylish and epic, but I haven't a feckin notion what's going on.

I'm in anyway

Just watched inception there again, holds up brilliantly (10 years old!!!!). Just an excellent feast of a movie,...

You know, you say that like it's a simple explanation lol; read that snippet a few times and I still don't understand how that'll effect the film. Surely once time is reversed, the action just proceeds again as normal? Oh god this is going to be nightmare to untangle isn't it? :D

I think the basic idea is simple: the technology exists to "invert" an object or person so that they experience the flow of time in reverse. From the POV of the inverted person/object, they jump into the future and the world rewinds around them as they travel into the past to the moment they were inverted. For the rest of the world meanwhile, that person/object would appear to be acting in reverse. In the trailer, for example, the gun is inverted - it is fired in the future and to outside observers appears to catch the bullet.

What I don't understand is how an inverted object/person can interact with objects/people travelling forward without creating paradoxes. For example, where did the bullet hole come from? If can't have always been there. It's something Nolan will presumedly have to sidestep around with some kind of movie logic. One explanation is that any physical signs left by inverted objects/people are created at the moment the object/person is first inverted. So at the moment the gun was inverted, the bullet holes appeared. It's possible also that inverted objects/people have the potential to pull other objects/people into reverse with them.

Does this make any sense? It might be completely wrong but it's fun to speculate. Mostly I expect this temporary inversion technology to be a device for Nolan to do some cool sh*t, but as always he will probably over explain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

This can’t be comin out in July, can it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Nope. No release date attached now, but the trailer confirms that it's still coming to theatres. Just a matter of when.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Is the release date still Mid July? I hope they don’t just release it digitally :(
    They won't, Nolan really wants this in cinemas - especially 70mm and IMAX, even if that means delaying it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

logo changed

https://www.slashfilm.com/christopher-nolans-tenet-logo-changed/

release date is still july 17th at the moment

• Advertisement

Wow, now I want a Tenet bike!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Well I'd compare it to Tom Hardy, someone who was accomplished as an actor and had notable appearances such as Bronson pre Inception, but it really is that film that took him to another level in the eye of Hollywood.

I note as well that Tenet is his only notable work in the can right now but I imagine this will change after Tenet.

This sent me down a Wikipedia rabbit hole that led (quite quickly) to this gem....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Station_Eleven_(miniseries)

Started shooting in January... "Depicts the aftermath of a flu pandemic that wipes out the majority of the world’s population"

Bacchus wrote: »
    This sent me down a Wikipedia rabbit hole that led (quite quickly) to this gem....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Station_Eleven_(miniseries)

Started shooting in January... "Depicts the aftermath of a flu pandemic that wipes out the majority of the world’s population"

Rip off of the Stand ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Rip off of the Stand ?

A new TV series of The Stand is made,no release date yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Christopher Nolan Bought a Real 747 for Tenet Just to Crash It

https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/05/christopher-nolan-747-crash-tenet/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

It costs less! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Daveno

Good news- Tenet is supposed to come out on 17.06, though not sure if it's worldwide premiere date or USA only

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

peteeeed wrote: »

I can't help but think of a joke from 30 Rock:
    Liz: I hope you didn't have plans tonight.

Tracy: No. I wasn't going to buy two blimps and crash them into each other to see what kind of sound they made.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

peteeeed wrote: »

The scrap value of a 747 (minus engines) is around $2m apparently, so if someone like Nolan comes along offering $2.1m you take it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 IrishJedi75

Christopher Nolan can do no wrong in my opinion.Im willing to risk my life by going to the biggest cinema screen i can find to see it if it does come out in july

Advertisement