Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodworking Projects

Options
  • 10-05-2011 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Was out of work again for a while so got another little project made.

Originally I wasn't going to use the Roman numerals as I had used mahogany plugs at the hour marks but the apple tree wood was darker than I thought especially with all the knots. Then I added the barometer at the bottom just to add a little something.

Tell me what you think. I have a few more project in the pipeline but back working now so they are on the back burner. Hoping to add more photos when I get round to making the few bits and pieces.

158377.JPG
    158378.JPG
    158380.JPG

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Cool. I think the barometer balances the piece nicely. Did you have to take the plugs out again or are they still behind the numerals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Paul.C

nice job

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Radiotower

Thanks guys.

Yeah slowburner the plugs are still behind the roman numerals - they were self adhesive so stuck them on to see what they looked like - I liked them but my wife didn't - she rathered it the original way. Thought I'd get a few opinions here, thats why i showed both pics. I should have tried to get darker wood but mahogany is what i had close to hand. For 12,3,6 & 9 I used a 16mm plug and for the other hour makes i used 10mm plugs.

Hadn't planned on the barometer but when i was picking up the roman numerals I seen it and thought it would look well in it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I like the look of the plugs but it'd be a bit hard to read the time - maybe you could stain the plugs or fit darker (Ebony) ones ?

I thought about trying to stain them but feared I'd make a mess of the whole thing.

When I was picking up the Roman numerals I seen they had a pack of ebony blanks for making pen sets and I thought that's be the right job for it - I think they were a fiver. The problem is drilling out the old plugs exactly so that there's none of the mahogany left behind - I'd prob be ok at the 12, 3, 6 and 9 marks cos I drilled a pilot hole through but for the other marks it might be a bit trickier!! I'll leave it for now but might re-visit it when I finish the next piece - hopefully the bank holiday weekend.

• Advertisement

Radiotower wrote: »
    I thought about trying to stain them but feared I'd make a mess of the whole thing.

When I was picking up the Roman numerals I seen they had a pack of ebony blanks for making pen sets and I thought that's be the right job for it - I think they were a fiver. The problem is drilling out the old plugs exactly so that there's none of the mahogany left behind - I'd prob be ok at the 12, 3, 6 and 9 marks cos I drilled a pilot hole through but for the other marks it might be a bit trickier!! I'll leave it for now but might re-visit it when I finish the next piece - hopefully the bank holiday weekend.

You're wise. I wish I was patient enough to put projects aside and come back to them. It wouldn't be too big a deal to drill out the old plugs if you had a drill press and some good Forstner bits, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MyNameIsMethos

Making a table. It has been three months now... I swear I'm only taking so long because I'm aging the wood!

It's an antique already :p

• Registered Users Posts: 37 artycrafty

I love the orientation of the wood, just the right balance. I would like to have seen black numerals, they would really stand out against the wood. Nice job all the same.

Mark 3

Drilled out mahonagy plugs and inserted african ebony

Happy with the results

161962.JPG

161963.JPG

• Advertisement

While I was at it over the weekend, I also made this picture frame out of another piece of apple tree I had lying around.

161966.JPG

161967.JPG

Radiotower wrote: »
    Mark 3

Drilled out mahonagy plugs and inserted african ebony

Happy with the results

I think that worked out well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Here's an in progress piece. It's Amboyna Burl and about 8" in diameter, 3" tall. Pretty nifty!

256882_508404413913_259200226_222491_7670876_o.jpg

I'd say that burr cost a shekel or two.
    Are you about to reverse it for hollowing? If that recess is for the chuck jaws, I'm envious of your chuck's accuracy. I need a minimum recess depth of about 4 mm and even then, things go walkabout.

Some people get all uppity when they don't see people using bowl saver systems. Can't see the point myself (i.e. can't afford it):p

Yeah gonna hollow it out tomorrow morning most likely. Was just marking off the recess. I'd love to get my hands on a bowl saver system but like you said yourself they're quite expensive, and also unsure as to whether I'd actually save much from such a bowl of it's size.

How's the bowl going?

I actually haven't cored it out yet, was busy making a display piece for a jeweler who is entering a piece into the national craft competition. Got it finished late last night. It's a piece of walnut, lidded box basically. The jewellery sits atop the raised piece on the inside. I since inlayed in some silver and citrine which will hold the piece in place, should get more/better pics once the weekend is over and done with :)

272336_508621344183_259200226_226516_7025151_o.jpg

Here's some pictures with the piece of jewellery in it. The medallion is made by Jlb Jewellery. I can't remember the name of the photographer, will find out.

266475_139165126161603_118372788240837_264446_3362083_o.jpg

272115_139165166161599_118372788240837_264448_3389432_o.jpg

271231_139428486135267_118372788240837_265958_3515618_o.jpg

Beautiful work. Really beautiful.
    The bowl's not too bad either :D:D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

They complement each other very well nice work.

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot, first time I made a lidded bowl/box. Yeah I'm very happy with how they worked out, hopefully she will win something in the craft competition :)

Really nice job.
    I have a bit to go till i get to that level :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

Nice work there, by both parties, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭shrubs

Will, that is really nice, i love the grain and shape of the walnut!

Yeah was pretty lucky with the grain as it frames the raised bit quite nicely.

Decided to finish this today. Amboyna burl. Still needs a small bit of refinement.

287070_509122385093_259200226_233124_6069770_o.jpg

wow, very good work Will. How do you turn oval shapes?

This actually makes me want to impulse buy a lathe

Paul.C wrote: »

Cheers. You can buy a special attachment for a lathe/chuck I believe that makes turning ovals simple as (. To be honest I'm unsure how to turn ovals to an exact dimension but what I've done in the past is round out a piece, then just put it off centre on the chuck.

Here's a link that seems to explain it better than I ever could - http://www.volmer---ovaldrehen.de/_private/6Methods%20of%20Ovalturning.html

• Advertisement

Paul.C wrote: »
    Just wondering what's the oval you mention - or do my eyes need testing?

Advertisement