Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodworking Projects

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

slowburner wrote: »
    Just wondering what's the oval you mention - or do my eyes need testing?

Maybe he thinks the bowl is an oval due to the angle of the picture I took?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Will wrote: »
    Maybe he thinks the bowl is an oval due to the angle of the picture I took?
    Ah good, that's a relief.
    Mind you, my bowls often end up oval - and not by design.

Throw up some pics will you please? I don't know any other woodturners so rarely get to see other's work. Oval bowls by accident?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Paul.C

slowburner wrote: »
    Just wondering what's the oval you mention - or do my eyes need testing?

Ye I did think it was oval TBH but then I had a re-look at the photos before and copped they were circular. Still they do look quality. Also had a look at that oval turning link. Looks fairly complicated. I think I will look into that again in a few years after I have mastered the basics:)

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Radiotower

This is something I made last year when out of work. It was fairly ambitious considering I hadn't made anything since my leaving cert about 14 years previous - my wife thought I'd arrive back with something like Homer Simpson would make with 6" nails sticking out of it everywhere!! Got me a taste for it but back working now thankfully and dont have the time to head up the country to my fathers workshop (also the baby takes up alot of time!!!).

Thats why the last two thing I made (the clock and picture frame) have been pretty basic in comparison.

169493.JPG

169494.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Very fine work indeed, that I'm sure will be passed down through generations - what's the timber? :)

Its mahogany - made from old window frames taken out of the parents house. Finished with tung oil.

Thats the plan to pass it down - a new family heirloom.

How it started out in life.. Involved a bit of jointing as the widest piece I could get out of the window frame was 65mm!!

169495.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭jack of all

Very nice work, especially nice to reclaim wood that usually ends up on the fire!

Radiotower wrote: »
    Its mahogany - made from old window frames taken out of the parents house. Finished with tung oil.

Thats the plan to pass it down - a new family heirloom.

How it started out in life.. Involved a bit of jointing as the widest piece I could get out of the window frame was 65mm!!

169495.JPG
    This makes the work all the more interesting. There is so much more dull work involved using reclaimed stuff. More power to your elbow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭jack of all

@Radiotower, would you mind sharing how you reclaimed the wood? I've reclaimed some old mahogany and teak joinery myself and found it very labour intensive. With some old pub tables which were covered in multiple layers of lacquer/ varnish I've used a scrub plane to quickly remove the bulk of bad finish before I could pass it over a planer and thickness etc.

• Advertisement

Throw up some pics will you please? I don't know any other woodturners so rarely get to see other's work. Oval bowls by accident?
    Yes. If a blank isn't properly seasoned and you turn it then let it dry, the bowl can end up oval.
    I'm having a lot of trouble uploading pics at the moment - if I just paste the images they come up as gobbledygook. Will try again later.
    [Embedded Image Removed][Embedded Image Removed]

Jack,
    It was labour intensive alright - the worst part was getting the glass out and removing the old putty. I wouldn't really call it reclaiming the wood as once I the glass removed and had it broken down into single lenghts I passed it through the table saw to cut to the required thicknesses - well a little thicker, than ran them through the thicknesser. So I'd say its more recycling than reclaiming.

Wow that bowl is amazing! Love the colour you applied/stained and I can see some of the grain which looks intense. Wow! Lovely work! Is it a two piece item? Looks awesome. The vessels are pretty cool too

Uploading pictures you can go to imgur.com or pix.ie and upload them. It will give you a code for forums or just a direct image link. Would love to see more, very impressive

Wow that bowl is amazing! Love the colour you applied/stained and I can see some of the grain which looks intense. Wow! Lovely work! Is it a two piece item? Looks awesome. The vessels are pretty cool too

Uploading pictures you can go to imgur.com or pix.ie and upload them. It will give you a code for forums or just a direct image link. Would love to see more, very impressive
    Thanks Will.
    The green bowl is Birch - a wood that is underused in my opinion, but it can be moody. It is fixed to an Ash stand.
    I'll try that imgur.com method of uploading - is it better than using the Boards 'manage attachments' system? Sometimes i can just drag and drop an image onto the post - sometimes not :confused:

yeah the boards one is fierce slow and cumbersome. imgur and pix.ie are specifically made for image hosting

yeah the boards one is fierce slow and cumbersome. imgur and pix.ie are specifically made for image hosting
    How do I get the images from imgur and pix to a post I'm about to make on Boards - can I drag & drop?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

In pix.ie, if you click on one of your photos, at the bottom you'll see a section entitled "To link to this photo from another website:" and at the bottom is a box headed "Forums". Copy and paste the text in that box and Bob's you uncle.

Here's a couple of a lidded box in yew I just made as an example. If you click on them, you can see the larger versions ...

7F7D9EAD913F49C887DD1E6D9440BB94-0000318860-0002469993-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpg

17370FA882CC410EA0D17DBC271C2342-0000318860-0002469992-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Paul.C

very nice work again slowburner. Some nifty skills applied with turning those skinny handles. Id say you were praying they didnt snap off.:p

Im not really used to seeing such small pieces of wood transform into artwork like that.

I think my minds made up, a lathe wile be going on the list now for sure. I think it might just overtake my dewalt 1/2 router for fav tool topspot:D

Again lads, keep up the good work. Oh and I use photobucket for my own uploads. Very easy once you do it once

Top notch wood turning. Simple, clean lines but with well thought out proportions - just what Yew needs. Any more detail would detract from the wonderful figure of the wood.
    Two things show your skill level 1. no crazing on the Yew from heavy sanding and 2. the quality of the finish (Carnauba wax?)

I uploaded to pix but can't see the dialogue you mentioned.

• Advertisement

That's a lovely piece of yew Alun. What type of finish do you apply, looks very sleek.

edit - yeah if I do anything with yew (or other crazy grain woods) I just leave the shape very simple, otherwise it would appear too messy and in your face.

made this earlier, still not happy with it so will re-finish tomorrow. small olive wood bowl

288281_509141915953_259200226_233475_6950886_o%252520%2525283%252529.jpg

Thanks :) It's called a 'ginger jar' apparently. I got the design from a book I have http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/1861082037/180-4203460-6913305?SubscriptionId=19BAZMZQFZJ6G2QYGCG2

The finish is a combination of two products from an Australian company called U-Beaut. The first is this one http://www.ubeaut.com.au/eee.htm which is a very, very fine abrasive polish followed by this one http://www.ubeaut.com.au/cream.html which is a friction polish in a cream form. To be honest, after the first one, you hardly need anything else but it adds a little extra. I've no idea if you can buy it over here .. a friend of mine has a relative in Oz who's a woodturner, and they bring me back some when they visit :)

The Australians are great ones for woodturning finishes ... Organoil is another great one for larger pieces like bowls, especially if you want/need to fill some grain. It's a self-curing oil finish that you apply with wet sanding right down to 2000grit, and the 'slurry' fills the grain ... beautiful.

Regarding pix.ie, once you've uploaded, you have to click on the photo twice, once to get the default view, and again to get the various sizes. Only on the second screen do you get the options I described.

Think I will have to try get in contact with some australians :pac: lovely lovely finish

Think I will have to try get in contact with some australians :pac: lovely lovely finish
    +1. Sounds like a fantastic range of finishes.

Paul.C wrote: »
    very nice work again slowburner. Some nifty skills applied with turning those skinny handles. Id say you were praying they didnt snap off.:p

Im not really used to seeing such small pieces of wood transform into artwork like that.

I think my minds made up, a lathe wile be going on the list now for sure. I think it might just overtake my dewalt 1/2 router for fav tool topspot:D

Again lads, keep up the good work. Oh and I use photobucket for my own uploads. Very easy once you do it once
    I likes me routers too :), but you'd be amazed at the amount of applications the lathe has. Here's a side table with a turned top. I probably could have done it with the router but if it can be done on the lathe......
    36E1363B4FCF4CC1AFABC2226FC9D275-0000345227-0002470794-00800L-8EB473B7B24B448D9D5DF8E6C369D20D.jpg1081FECC7B014CC0B08D1F1B7E22DBA5-0000345227-0002470798-00800L-0CAF6FD65A41460FB4BE96B524EF64F5.jpg

I'll be on the lookout for a lathe too. I do up little sketches every now and again of things to make but I'm constricted to designs that dont require lathe work. Never used one except for the metalwork one in school and I'd imagine its a totally different technique.
    Seen one on done deal while I was out of work so at the time I couldn't justify spending the money on it..

made this earlier, still not happy with it so will re-finish tomorrow. small olive wood bowl
    Olive wood is a tricky one to finish, it seems to dull most wax or shellac based finishes after a short while. I've had some success with multiple coats of self curing oil type finishes such as tung oil, or that organoil stuff I mentioned above. You seem to need about 2-3 coats to get it to stay reasonably shiny. I think it's because the wood itself is naturally quite oily, you can see this when you're sanding, the dust seems to clump together a little rather than flying freely.

Yeah it's a right whoore to be honest. Had a lump of malee burl laying about so decided to make it into a bowl of sorts. Still need to finish it but I like how it's come out thus far.

2011%252520-%2525201.jpg

Had a lump of malee burl laying about so decided to make it into a bowl of sorts. Still need to finish it but I like how it's come out thus far.
    Nice ... have you sanded it yet, and do you still have all your fingers? :D (speaking from experience of sanding similar bowls!)

• Advertisement

Nah not sanded it yet :o:o it's always terrifying sanding such bowls without a sanding stick or something similar. I don't have a source for it no, mcQuillans got some pieces in a few months back and I got a piece. They've not had it since unfortunately. They were burl caps also

Advertisement