Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is the mark 1 Almera the greatest car ever?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Presume people are mixing Almera up with Primera. Primera mk1&2 being fine cars.

The primera was a better handling car but apart from that the almera was a better car than the primera, they certainly were better built.

Well unless you had the fuel tank on the roof how could it possibly be gravity fed? That's nonsense. It probably had an electric in-tank delivery pump or a mechanical diaphram pump driven off of the engine.

Probably mechanical as the electric one on the later 1993-1995 sunnys was prone to wearing out and i've never seen the same issue with the older carb setup.

No they were gravity fed. I think it was only bigger engines that used mechanical pumps.

Well you seem pretty sure just as you were that they were all carb'd :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

If the criteria is longevity and reliability, then the second generation Micra must surely be one of the greatest cars ever. A fun little car to drive too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

If the criteria is longevity and reliability, then the second generation Micra must surely be one of the greatest cars ever. A fun little car to drive too.

Yes, yes, God no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭horseofstone

Micra wouldnt tow a large trailer.to be the greatest car ever it has to b an allrounder, good at most things.micra was for grannys.

Micra wouldnt tow a large trailer.to be the greatest car ever it has to b an allrounder, good at most things.micra was for grannys.

Honestly, how often does the average person need to tow a trailer?

Honestly, how often does the average person need to tow a trailer?

To draw a load of turf,tow a cow, draw a caravan, there's always a reason.🚘

To draw a load of turf,tow a cow, draw a caravan, there's always a reason.��

If you have a '98 Micra, you could use the money you save on tax and petrol to pay someone to tow your cows.

If you have a '98 Micra, you could use the money you save on tax and petrol to pay someone to tow your cows.

Yeah but what about my caravan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Sure why would you want a hitch or trailer when you could just ram the car full of turf like this......

Lt+my+car+_c44ed73f6a21b7e9f888363b6df7d865.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr.Cool2015

JoeA3 wrote:
    Do they still do the Pulsar here? That's basically the "new" Almera with a different name.

Actually,The Almera is still sold in different parts of the world,like the Philippines.

The pulsar and the Almera were same at one point but they evolved into two different cars later on and yes,we can still get the pulsar in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr.Cool2015

Sorry, no car called the Tiida ever existed in this timeline.

I remember when the Tiida first launched in Ireland,it was a really boring car.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They announced they’re stopping building pulsars in Europe recently as sales were a round 30% of projections. They’re building the electric NV200 van there instead. Think it’s spain or Portugal where they build them.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

Mk I yaris has to be up ther if its reliable cars ur talking about and the pulsar not a bad looking car if ther was no qashquai they wud probably sell a lot more of them

Philb76 wrote: »
    Mk I yaris has to be up ther if its reliable cars ur talking about and the pulsar not a bad looking car if ther was no qashquai they wud probably sell a lot more of them

Yeah juke and quahqai sell well here in ireland,mini suv and crossovers seem to be all the go these days.yeah there's a lot of 99 yaris's on the road still but there a shocking small car and wouldn't tow much or hack it on a farm for example.

Yeah juke and quahqai sell well here in ireland,mini suv and crossovers seem to be all the go these days.yeah there's a lot of 99 yaris's on the road still but there a shocking small car and wouldn't tow much or hack it on a farm for example.

They are more spacious, more practicle than an almera and more robust so you'd be surprised at the amound of hacking they can take.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Your original question should probably have been, "Is the mark 1 Almera the greatest car ever for small farmers?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

I'm convinced the old model Nissan Micras are the best cars ever made. I never owned or drove one but there are ancient ones literally everywhere still going strong. They have to be the most common old car still on the road. The original model Yaris can't be too far behind it. I did own one of those, horrible little thing to drive but she'd go forever. I got a scrappage offer on it last year and I'm literally losing sleep thinking that it might actually have been scrapped. Everytime I see one I'm looking at the Reg praying someone has it haha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

should we not change this to "most dependable car ever"?
    The Almera or Corolla wouldn't get into my top 100 of best cars ever - but I rate cars on a different scale than most here on boards

• Advertisement

Brian Scan wrote: »
    [/B]
    Your original question should probably have been, "Is the mark 1 Almera the greatest car ever for small farmers?"

What makes you think I'm a small farmer ?

RobAMerc wrote: »
    should we not change this to "most dependable car ever"?
    The Almera or Corolla wouldn't get into my top 100 of best cars ever - but I rate cars on a different scale than most here on boards

"most dependable car ever" meaning best car ever.its simple really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Hated those almeras with a passion.

Several times in the noughties, my car dealer tried to flog me almeras, they were horrible. Plain looking, as many cars are indeed, but underpowered, horrible to drive, and just yuck.

Not even the best modern Nissan, far behind the micra or the primera of the 1990's.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭lardzeppelin

Indeed not, but the design mandate was for it to be able to drive across a ploughed field with a tray of eggs balanced on the seat and not to loose /break a one... 2CV was to France what beetle was to Germany... While I worked on a lot of them, I never got around to owning one, and that's something I'll always regret...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Yeah there's a lot of old corolla's on the road,but this almera's been through a lot,pulled a cow trailer with weanlings in it.tough as nails.
    Yeah but compare the price difference of both cars when new.pound for pound the almera's a better car.farmers always loved the mark 1 almera and that says a lot for them.you won't see too many farmers pulling a cattle trailer with a bmw.
    Would the 2cv pull a cow trailer ? Not a chance.The 2cv was for hairdressers.
    To draw a load of turf, tow a cow, draw a caravan, there's always a reason.��

What makes you think I'm a small farmer ?

Just a wild guess.

Hated those almeras with a passion.

Several times in the noughties, my car dealer tried to flog me almeras, they were horrible. Plain looking, as many cars are indeed, but underpowered, horrible to drive, and just yuck.

Not even the best modern Nissan, far behind the micra or the primera of the 1990's.

Great engine though,and reasonably comfortable,I reckon mine might go around d clock 4 or 5 times.

W124 merc far superior.... for towing too

Augeo wrote: »

Yeah but consider the price difference of a merc w124 to that of an almera.its like comparing floyd mayweather with tyson fury.pound for pound mayweathers a better boxer.pound for pound the almera's a better car.

Augeo wrote: »

Yeah but consider the price difference of a merc w124 to that of an almera.its like comparing floyd mayweather with tyson fury.pound for pound mayweathers a better boxer.pound for pound the almera's a better car.

• Advertisement

redlead wrote: »
    I'm convinced the old model Nissan Micras are the best cars ever made. I never owned or drove one but there are ancient ones literally everywhere still going strong. They have to be the most common old car still on the road. The original model Yaris can't be too far behind it. I did own one of those, horrible little thing to drive but she'd go forever. I got a scrappage offer on it last year and I'm literally losing sleep thinking that it might actually have been scrapped. Everytime I see one I'm looking at the Reg praying someone has it haha

The mk1 yaris was far ahead of the micra in everyway. It was much more modern, drove much better, was more spacious and more practical.

It had a more advanced engine too and was more reliable.

Advertisement