Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is the mark 1 Almera the greatest car ever?

Options
  • 07-06-2018 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

I'm driving a 00 almera since 2010 with 243k on the clock.this car is bulletproof,its never let me down, turn the key and away you go.I intend to keep it until it stops going.I change the oil and filter every 5k.thats all it ever needs,its a cheap reliable motor.there's a huge number of mark 1 almera's on the roads still.it says it all really !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,386 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It’s no Corolla.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭horseofstone

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It’s no Corolla.

Yeah there's a lot of old corolla's on the road,but this almera's been through a lot,pulled a cow trailer with weanlings in it.tough as nails.

Gearboxes on them are a weak point and the rust protection is pretty poor in spots. Sounds like you got a good one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Mercedes W123 240D

Or

Peugeot 504 estate.

A couple of Corollas in 3rd and 4th, but no question on the first two.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

It depends on what criteria you use. Its cheap and reliable and lasts etc. But it is an Almeira. Same with the Corolla. They're the greatest car ever for people who want to get from A to B for as little money as possible. Some people want a little more style or comfort and are prepared to put up with some flaws in return.

If we're talking bulletproof I'd probably go witht the old diesel Merc 2. something litre, no turbo, auto box, ^ beat me to it. W123 or even W124.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Corrolla is a good reliable car but you can’t deny it’s overpriced for this market. It’s a 3rd world car sold at first world prices. Hubcaps in 2018 too :D

Apparently the Diesel engine is the same as it was in 2002 with a few minor changes?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,142 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Corrolla is a good reliable car but you can’t deny it’s overpriced for this market. It’s a 3rd world car sold at first world prices. Hubcaps in 2018 too :D

Apparently the Diesel engine is the same as it was in 2002 with a few minor changes?

Plenty of other entry level cars still have hubcaps in 2018, some even have rear windy windows.

Corolla 1.4 Diesel engine was introduced in 2004 and competed well with similar competition. Ford used a 1.8 diesel engine up until 2011 that originated back to the Ford Sierra of the 1980s. Opel used a modified 1.7 Isuzu diesel engine again from the late 1980s in their cars up until 2015. Audi sold a 1.6 petrol engine in their A3/A4 upto 2009 that originated back in the 1980s also. That would make all them 3rd world cars too.

You are right, that engine is still the same basic design as in 2002 but has been uograded along the line. they really got it right first time and haven’t needed to radically change it. I think you’re being a bit harsh saying it’s a third world car. Corolla sells very well in USA/Canada, Australia, Japan etc. Toyota have other models aimed at developing nations like the Yaris saloon and Etios.

Toyota Ireland have a much better hold here than Toyota GB have in their territory, because of that they can charge more for less. People are still buying base model Corollas because that’s what they want. The Corolla is a conservative model and appeals to a certain demographic in Ireland.
    bazz26 wrote: »
    Plenty of other entry level cars still have hubcaps in 2018, some even have rear windy windows.

Corolla 1.4 Diesel engine was introduced in 2004 and competed well with similar competition. Ford used a 1.8 diesel engine up until 2011 that originated back to the Ford Sierra of the 1980s. Opel used a modified 1.7 Isuzu diesel engine again from the late 1980s in their cars up until 2015. Audi sold a 1.6 petrol engine in their A3/A4 upto 2009 that originated back in the 1980s also. That would make all them 3rd world cars too.

The engine in the Corolla came out in the mk1 Yaris before the Corolla got it. It was 75bhp in the Yaris and 90 in the Corolla. An 02 Yaris D-4D would be quieter than a lot of much newer engines.
    Agree with your post 100% though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

The mk1 Primera was better, pity they had to make each subsequent mark worse than the one before.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,142 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Define greatest car ever OP? Your definition might not equate to others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭crossman47

I'm driving a 00 almera since 2010 with 243k on the clock.this car is bulletproof,its never let me down, turn the key and away you go.I intend to keep it until it stops going.I change the oil and filter every 5k.thats all it ever needs,its a cheap reliable motor.there's a huge number of mark 1 almera's on the roads still.it says it all really !

I had a 99 almera for many years and I have to agree it was a great car. It never let me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Odelay

Greybottle wrote: »

Peugeot 504 estate.

Hell yeah! Great car!

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Mark 3 Golf

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

The mk1 Primera was better, pity they had to make each subsequent mark worse than the one before.

I actually bought a new one in 2005, it was bulletproof really. It was the 1.6petrol and in my 7 years of ownership never let me down
    Contrast that with a number of BMWs and 2 out of the 4 had breakdowns where I needed tows for faulty sensors. Stupid tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

My first car was a 1997 almera . The rust killed it in 2009. 12 years from a semi modern car wouldn't be exactly greatest car ever territory. My 1999 BMW has a smidge of surface rust in 2018, go figure.

Define greatest car ever OP? Your definition might not equate to others.

A car thats affordable to the masses,never lets you down and can do a fair bit of trailer pulling.I've pulled a tonne in weight (including the weight of the trailer) behind the almera.its taken its fair share of hacking over the years and still going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

There is still plenty of MK1 Renault Meganes on the road too :) At least with the Megane you get some style as well.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

My first car was a 1997 almera . The rust killed it in 2009. 12 years from a semi modern car wouldn't be exactly greatest car ever territory. My 1999 BMW has a smidge of surface rust in 2018, go figure.

Yeah but compare the price difference of both cars when new.pound for pound the almera's a better car.farmers always loved the mark 1 almera and that says a lot for them.you won't see too many farmers pulling a cattle trailer with a bmw.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Badger2009

Yeah but compare the price difference of both cars when new.pound for pound the almera's a better car.farmers always loved the mark 1 almera and that says a lot for them.you won't see too many farmers pulling a cattle trailer with a bmw.

Just because farmers like a car wouldn't make it 'the greatest car ever' for me. In fact, I have no interest whatsoever in towing a trailer with my car so I wouldn't rate that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

97 Almere also my first car, absolutely loved it at the time, probably partly due to the novelty of owning my own car, and it never once let me down. I sold it on to a good friend who kept it for several years and he also had no issues with it. I don’t know about the best car ever but they were very good and great value for money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Mine would be
    Toyota iQ
    Honda Jazz

Jap cars are amazingly reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I had a 93 corolla xli. When I bought a few years ago it had 13 owners and hasn't been serviced in 6 years. I ran it for 3 months with no oil on the dipstick. I sold it, up to about 16 owners now and the yoke is still going

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Won every race with her, in TOCA Touring Cars on the PS1, if that's anything to go by.

:D

.............you won't see too many farmers pulling a cattle trailer with a bmw.

Wouldn't look too good as most of them are diddling the income figures to send the 3+ kids to college in the city and the grants are easy money :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

The Corolla was a far better built car and at least it was someway safe, the Almera got just two stars in the NCAP safety test and there was a strike through one of the stars because of a safety design flaw. A Corolla got three stars and had more safety kit as standard.

As mind bogglingly boring, uncomfortable, noisy and all as they are, there is a reason people think highly of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,388 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The Ford Kent engine was first used in 1959, but continued to be in made until 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

Neighbour bought an ex garda corrola saloon years ago at auction looks awful and had to put a second hand gearbox in it but still uses it everyday he's a tradesman and he carries everything in it or on the roof takes serious abuse

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The Corolla was a far better built car and at least it was someway safe, the Almera got just two stars in the NCAP safety test and there was a strike through one of the stars because of a safety design flaw. A Corolla got three stars and had more safety kit as standard.

As mind bogglingly boring, uncomfortable, noisy and all as they are, there is a reason people think highly of them.

Awe but the Megane got 4 stars and had more safety kit than the Corolla as well as been a better equipped car all round.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

As said the corolla was a much better car. The almera had the nissan sunny's reliable and proven engine but the gearbox was weaker and the car itself was built at a cost and seemed to get very loose and worn after 100k miles.

Things like door hinges and wiper linkages would be worn at 100k miles something which you wouldn't see on a similar vintage corolla at that mileage.

Rust protection was also very poor, much worse than the older sunny and it also lacked independent rear suspension so it's road manners were not as good as it's predecessor and far off a corolla.

Not sure i'd agree that there is still a lot of mk1 almeras on the road. The are gone very scarce as rust has killed them off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

AMKC wrote: »
    Awe but the Megane got 4 stars and had more safety kit than the Corolla as well as been a better equipped car all round.

The megan was a ball of sh1te. The e11 was very close to gaining 4 stars in the euro ncap at the time which was very good for what was in essence an early 90's chassis.

Advertisement