Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pumps.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

vectra wrote: »
    Quick one,
    Is there any news of prices going back up?

The reason I ask is a local station here would always be the last to drop the prices but would always be the first to rise them.
    I noticed yesterday he had upped the price by 1c per liter on both petrol and diesel.

I know it is only 1c, but why would someone even do that when it is on a downward trend?
    Unless he knows something we don't.

Oil prices are still dropping so it wouldnt be that. Maybe he has a business reason to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Probably upped the price to compensate for lack of sales.

Not many people out and about.

The petrol station needs to pay it's bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭deezell

mikeecho wrote: »
    Probably upped the price to compensate for lack of sales.

Not many people out and about.

The petrol station needs to pay it's bills.

All fuel stations pay their bills by getting you to pull in for cheap fuel, (margin, ~ 20 cent/lìtre), in the hope you will buy a coffee, (margin, €6.60/litre, based on paying €2.70 for 12oz/33cl, less coffee beans and cup, ~ 50c). Throw in a pastry, packet of sweets, bottle of water and there's as much profit on treats as on a half tank of juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Interesting article on RTE

https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2020/0331/1127484-petrol-prices-fall-oil-price-war/

It states that if the price of petrol was tax alone, it would be c. €1.10 per litre, I knew it was high but I didn't think it was that much.

deezell wrote: »
    All fuel stations pay their bills by getting you to pull in for cheap fuel, (margin, ~ 20 cent/lìtre), in the hope you will buy a coffee, (margin, €6.60/litre, based on paying €2.70 for 12oz/33cl, less coffee beans and cup, ~ 50c). Throw in a pastry, packet of sweets, bottle of water and there's as much profit on treats as on a half tank of juice.

If only this were true! The Margin is NOWHERE near that!!!!!!!! The margin is about 3-6c per litre and quite a few petrol stations make absolutely no money off fuel whatsoever. As you pointed out the sale of fuel is only to get you into the shop to buy bits and pieces.

• Advertisement

1huge1 wrote: »
    Interesting article on RTE

https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2020/0331/1127484-petrol-prices-fall-oil-price-war/

It states that if the price of petrol was tax alone, it would be c. €1.10 per litre, I knew it was high but I didn't think it was that much.
    You're making the same mistake as was made back in post #262. Read that sentence again;
    "if oil was completely free, we would still pay about €1.10 per litre of petrol because of taxes, retail margins and delivery costs."
    €1.10 is not tax alone, taxes closer to 84 cent for petrol. If the crude oil were free, there would still be refining, shipping, distribution, garage overheads and margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Must be very cheap in the North if some of our taxes per litre can be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Technique

vectra wrote: »
    Must be very cheap in the North if some of our taxes per litre can be removed.

Petrol and diesel is more expensive in the north.

Technique wrote: »
    Petrol and diesel is more expensive in the north.

Duty on a litre of petrol/diesel in the uk is 57.95 pence, which is 66.40 cent. Add VAT at 20%, 78.48 cent. The remainder of the price includes vat also, so a litre of petrol in the UK at current price of 120.3/litre, €1.35/litre in euros, and Vat is 1/6 of this, 22.5 cent, duty is 66.4 cent so total UK tax is 88.9 cent/litre.

Duty on a litre of petrol/diesel in the uk is 57.95 pence, which is 66.40 cent. Add VAT at 20%, 78.48 cent. The remainder of the price includes vat also, so a litre of petrol in the UK at current price of 120.3/litre, €1.35/litre in euros, and Vat is 1/6 of this, 22.5 cent, duty is 66.4 cent so total UK tax is 88.9 cent/litre.

I'm lost.. all I know is that for diesel, the pump price was 1.129¢,/L and I get 4¢ off , so I paid 1.089/l

• Advertisement

I'm lost.. all I know is that for diesel, the pump price was 1.129¢,/L and I get 4¢ off , so I paid 1.089/l

What you psy is all that matters. If you think too much about tax, you wouldn't get out of bed in the morning.

Prices in Fermoy today

Texaco Cork Road 119.9/129/9

Circle K ( In town ) 117.9/127.9

Amber station 116.9/127.9

Smart Pump Mallow Road 111.9/119.9

• Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You're making the same mistake as was made back in post #262. Read that sentence again;
    "if oil was completely free, we would still pay about €1.10 per litre of petrol because of taxes, retail margins and delivery costs."
    €1.10 is not tax alone, taxes closer to 84 cent for petrol. If the crude oil were free, there would still be refining, shipping, distribution, garage overheads and margin.

Seeing as refiners are now paying people to take their products and so are some crude producers what impact will that have on the price at the pumps?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.argusmedia.com/en/news/2087902-us-gasoline-cracks-fall-to-negative-territory-update%3famp=1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.livemint.com/market/commodities/oil-producers-paying-consumers-to-take-crude-yes-in-a-corner-of-us-market/amp-11585466041037.html

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Fuel prices will spike again if OPEC + can agreement with USA to lessen production of crude more than 10 million bpd- should know what’s happening by lunchtime Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Some of this price increase has already has been factored in when Trump opened his big gob last Thursday that an agreement had already been reached and that he had brokered it- fake news Mr Trump , Russia denied it Friday

Del2005 wrote: »
    Not paying anyone here, just in 'a corner of the US'

Diesel 108.9 in Emo Enfield

Any further updates on Pumps getting back up and running?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

I work in retail so thought in the evenings I'd have time to mess around with it and get the final few bits done, but the last couple of days I've been working 4 hours over my finish time, coming home showering having dinner and then falling alseep to Netflix. I've had no time due to whats happening.

As soon as things quieten down and I have some free time I'll do what I can.

I bet you're hard at it now that things have quietened down for you and you're going to surprise us all any day now with a brand new app and website.

Am I close?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

• Advertisement

Slab Murphy. Com
    ?

In fairness, I'd say his juice is genuine. If he sells you some goodies and a paper, everyone's happy. There was a time when all the retailers in El Paso had to compete against Slaboil, it couldn't have been easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭obi604

Will Diesel prices drop more or are they stalled for a while?

obi604 wrote: »
    Will Diesel prices drop more or are they stalled for a while?

They'll drop to 80c next month. I swear! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭davidk1394

114.8 a litre in Circle K today in Carrick on Suir.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭horse7

1$ a barrel now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

horse7 wrote: »
    1$ a barrel now.

Brent oil is $26

Today's US oil market was a technicality as may delivery contracts ended. It will open on Wednesday at about $20. Currently trading $21.16

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭horse7

With WTI oil trading at negative values, it does not mean free fuel.
    There will still be taxs, duty, refining, transport, retailer costs.

And the reason it's trading at a negative value is because they are running out of storage space in the US, and the cost of additional storage is more than the value of oil., Thus making it worthless.

Brent oil, however is still in the mid 20's.
    There are no storage issues for oil on this side of the Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

When all the restrictions are lifted it will go back up faster than ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

With WTI oil trading at negative values, it does not mean free fuel.
    There will still be taxs, duty, refining, transport, retailer costs.

And the reason it's trading at a negative value is because they are running out of storage space in the US, and the cost of additional storage is more than the value of oil., Thus making it worthless.

Brent oil, however is still in the mid 20's.
    There are no storage issues for oil on this side of the Atlantic.

Well if they want to refine it I'll gladly store it in my petrol tank for free :pac:

Advertisement