Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parents allowed baby to become severely malnourished on vegan diet

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

TCP/IP wrote: »

No, it's certified as healthy by health organisations. Anybody can feed their baby a bad diet.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

No, it's certified as healthy by health organisations. Anybody can feed their baby a bad diet.

Totally agree any parent can give their kids a bad diet no denying that. It does seem very irresponsible though to give a child a vegan only based diet especially in the young years.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭realmoonunit

Totally agree any parent can give their kids a bad diet no denying that. It does seem very irresponsible though to give a child a vegan only based diet especially in the young years.

Why so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,277 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Not vegan myself, just annoyed by the headline of the post as I knew what the op would be.

The issue is not the vegan part of the diet. The issue is not providing a sufficient diet regardless of its base.

A properly managed vegan diet would have seen no issue and only a moron would think otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Just bad parenting.

• Advertisement

Why so?

Possibly because it’s not a balanced diet. Purely plant based is not balanced.

Possibly because it’s not a balanced diet. Purely plant based is not balanced.

So you are an authority on that subject?

Not vegan myself, just annoyed by the headline of the post as I knew what the op would be.

The issue is not the vegan part of the diet. The issue is not providing a sufficient diet regardless of its base.

A properly managed vegan diet would have seen no issue and only a moron would think otherwise.

The headline of the post is the headline of the article seemed sensible to use it. No need to be annoyed it’s a discussion.

People choose a plant-based diet for a variety of reasons including concern about the treatment of animals, health reasons, environmental concerns or because of taste and social pressure. Plant-based diets are becoming more popular and if they are well-planned, can support healthy living at every age and life-stage.

Src> https://www.bda.uk.com/foodfacts/plant-based_diet

Plus many, many more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Once it's well researched and balanced I don't see the issue. Unfortunately people don't do this particularly in terms of the additional needs of children and they run into issues.

A vegetarian/vegan diet can be healthy or unhealthy just like any diet. Veganism isn't the issue here.

• Advertisement

So you are an authority on that subject?

No are you? The post is discussing an article today from Sky presumed this would be the best place to ask thoughts on.

No are you? The post is discussing an article today from Sky presumed this would be the best place to ask thoughts on.

I am not the person saying it isn't a balanced diet though. You are.

I am not the person saying it isn't a balanced diet though. You are.

It’s my opinion as stated I am not an expert just my believes.

Beliefs and facts are not always good bedfellows. Perhaps do some research before you state that it is not a balanced diet, when in-fact it is.

And yet many of us follow such a diet and are perfectly healthy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

As posters mentioned a vegan diet is not the issue, it’s the lack of an appropriate diet for a baby

Afaik if a baby isn’t being breast fed, there are no suitable vegan friendly milk alternatives. Babies and children require a higher amount of calcium than adults which they normally get from milk

I imagine the risk of iron deficiency would be another challenge with a vegan baby’s diet too if not managed correctly.

Disclaimer I’m not a vegan.

eviltwin wrote: »
    And yet many of us follow such a diet and are perfectly healthy

And raise children in the same way.

Beliefs and facts are not always good bedfellows. Perhaps do some research before you state that it is not a balanced diet, when in-fact it is.

Well in the case of this child it does not to have seemed so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Plenty of people do it without issue.

Therefore it's possible, and if people are not doing it properly, it's because they are not careful enough about it.

You could say they same about any parent, although excluding a particular food group means that an extra level of care is needed to ensure nutritional needs are being met.

Well in the case of this child it does not to have seemed so.

You're still doing it wrong.

• Advertisement

faceman wrote: »
    As posters mentioned a vegan diet is not the issue, it’s the lack of an appropriate diet for a baby

Afaik if a baby isn’t being breast fed, there are no suitable vegan friendly milk alternatives. Babies and children require a higher amount of calcium than adults which they normally get from milk

I imagine the risk of iron deficiency would be another challenge with a vegan baby’s diet too if not managed correctly.

Disclaimer I’m not a vegan.
    osarusan wrote: »
    Plenty of people do it without issue.

Therefore it's possible, and if people are not doing it properly, it's because they are not careful enough about it.

You could say they same about any parent, although excluding a particular food group means that an extra level of care is needed to ensure nutritional needs are being met.

Both excellent points.

And raise children in the same way.

And if the children are healthy is that a problem?

You're still doing it wrong.

I have no idea what you mean by this. I am more than happy to discuss but perhaps you could add some value to the conversation because at the moment you are not.

And if the children are healthy is that a problem?

Exactly, I have 3 healthy vegan children at home. Doctors are always impressed with their status if they need to visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,617 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Bad parenting is just bad parenting and they should be held accountable.

Don’t think it should be used to target veganism though, it’s too important to be used as a social football.

I have no idea what you mean by this. I am more than happy to discuss but perhaps you could add some value to the conversation because at the moment you are not.

You are making statements that a vegan diet is not balanced. It is and is certified as such by numerous professional and governmental bodies around the world. Your points are wrong, your belief / opinion is wrong. I can't be clearer than that I'm afraid.

The parents in this case could well have malnourished their child on any diet. You choose, wrongly, to state that it is because of the type of diet. When in reality it is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭satguy

Vegans and Jehovah's Witnesses can sometimes blindly put ideology / lifestyle choices in the way of healthy choices.

Let the child when old enough make up it's own mind up, and choose how he / she will eat or pray.

You are making statements that a vegan diet is not balanced. It is and is certified as such by numerous professional and governmental bodies around the world. Your points are wrong, your belief / opinion is wrong. I can't be clearer than that I'm afraid.

The parents in this case could well have malnourished their child on any diet. You choose, wrongly, to state that it is because of the type of diet. When in reality it is not.

The article states it and I personally agree with it but was interested in other opinions it’s called a discussion. I know you are new to boards but discussions are what we have here.

satguy wrote: »
    Vegans and Jehovah's Witnesses can sometimes blindly put ideology / lifestyle choices in the way of healthy choices.

Let the child when old enough make up it's own mind up, and choose how he / she will eat or pray.

Until then force them to eat dead animals though? A diet that contains both type 1 an 2 carcinogens, sure, healthy.

As stated a vegan diet is healthy. Bigotry on the other hand?

What veganism and religion have to do with other I have no clue. Other than some weak whataboutery.

• Advertisement

The article states it and I personally agree with it but was interested in other opinions it’s called a discussion. I know you are new to boards but discussions are what we have here.

The article does not state that a vegan diet is unbalanced or un healthy. You do. The duration of my account bears no relevance to the discussion. Again, your statement is wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,767 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Nobody forcefeeds a baby dead animals, but do vegan parents consider breast milk to be non-vegan? If they do then I have instantly lost any sympathy I might have had for the various arguments.

satguy wrote: »

I put convenience first. The kids eat what I eat, I'm not cooking multiple meals. If they want meat they can cook their own.

I put convenience first. The kids eat what I eat, I'm not cooking multiple meals. If they want meat they can cook their own.

That's evidently what the Australian parents said.

looksee wrote: »
    That's evidently what the Australian parents said.

They should have done more research

Nobody forcefeeds a baby dead animals, but do vegan parents consider breast milk to be non-vegan? If they do then I have instantly lost any sympathy I might have had for the various arguments.

Breast milk from humans is of course vegan. People force their children to eat meat, they puree it into baby food for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Breast milk from humans is of course vegan. People force their children to eat meat, they puree it into baby food for example.

What would be the stance if the mother has issues producing breastmilk. I wonder if that would be an exception to allow dairy or if there are vegan substitutes. Beestings is fairly heavy on nutrients. Just curious here btw.

How would doing more research have helped if they worked on the basis of 'they eat what I eat' and don't consider breast milk vegan? Which comes back to the question of - would vegan parents deny a newborn baby breast milk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

What about milk from a cows tit? Is that vegan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭jh79

What would be the stance if the mother has issues producing breastmilk. I wonder if that would be an exception to allow dairy or if there are vegan substitutes. Beestings is fairly heavy on nutrients. Just curious here btw.

According to a quick google If you can't breast feed then you shouldn't adopt a vegan diet for a child. Seems there is no suitable vegan formula .

While a vegan diet for a child is possible there is a greater risk of malnutrition unless it is extremely well planned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Im not trolling here, but I want to understand this. Breast milk is an animal product. How can it be considered vegan? Mom can of course, have a vegan diet, but she herself is an animal. How does the logic work here?

• Advertisement

How would doing more research have helped if they worked on the basis of 'they eat what I eat' and don't consider breast milk vegan? Which comes back to the question of - would vegan parents deny a newborn baby breast milk?

You're talking about a baby here. A baby can't eat what an adult eats and has different nutritional needs. They should have used the pregnancy to learn about how best to manage them.

I post that my kids eat what I eat but mine aren't babies and are perfectly capable of making meat for themselves if they want. I would of course have no problem making a separate meal for a small child or baby.

People get vegans and veganism wrong all the time, it is not about being perfect in any way. Vegan is where possible and practical to avoid the use of animals for food, entertainment, clothing etc. That's it, if you look at the vegan society website in the UK it has more info.

If a mother, for whatever reason can not produce milk for her child it would be irresponsible and downright stupid to not use a formula. There are, however vegan formulas available (only recently) which fill the growing market. They are suitable from birth too.

https://www.plantbasednews.org/lifestyle/vegan-baby-formula-what-you-need-to-know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Whereas any old shoite from the frozen food section is grand

lawred2 wrote: »
    Whereas any old shoite from the frozen food section is grand

No it’s not any nobody said that.

dudara wrote: »
    Im not trolling here, but I want to understand this. Breast milk is an animal product. How can it be considered vegan? Mom can of course, have a vegan diet, but she herself is an animal. How does the logic work here?

It is from our species and indeed from the mother of the child. Not taken from another species who's offspring had to be removed in order to harvest it. The human mother gives her milk to her offspring willingly and with pride.

When vegans talk about animals they are referring to other species I.E. non human animals. That doesn't mean that vegans have no care for other humans, typically far from it infact.

So in answer to your next question, would I eat human? No.

But why is it acceptable to give human children bovine milk? It is in no way designed for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

It is from our species and indeed from the mother of the child. Not taken from another species who's offspring had to be removed in order to harvest it. The human mother gives her milk to her offspring willingly and with pride.

When vegans talk about animals they are referring to other species I.E. non human animals. That doesn't mean that vegans have no care for other humans, typically far from it infact.

But why is it acceptable to give human children bovine milk? It is in no way designed for us.

Also it's fine considering "the animal" in case is completely on board you'd assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

dudara wrote: »

'Non' trolling mod have a read here and answer the question yourself. It's quite an easy one.
    https://www.vegansociety.com/go-vegan/definition-veganism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭jackboy

Northern Europeans have evolved to consume bovine milk so we are designed for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Considering that logic - plant food taken from another species is removed in order to harvest it.

And yes I know the theory of sentience. Plants are sentient on a different level to us - the same doesn't stop it being speciest to suggest that their offspring were "designed for us" either

Most animal species do not eat or predate their own kind.

That said why is acceptable to take plants offspring (which are also in no way designed for us) - but not other species?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The article does not state that a vegan diet is unbalanced or unhealthy. You do. The duration of my account bears no relevance to the discussion. Again, your statement is wrong.
    It tends to. Often the duration of an account and where that account posts suggests an "agenda" or it may just be a troll. You couldn't know these things because you haven't been around long enough! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement