Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parents allowed baby to become severely malnourished on vegan diet

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

TCP/IP wrote: »

No, it's certified as healthy by health organisations. Anybody can feed their baby a bad diet.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

No, it's certified as healthy by health organisations. Anybody can feed their baby a bad diet.

Totally agree any parent can give their kids a bad diet no denying that. It does seem very irresponsible though to give a child a vegan only based diet especially in the young years.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭realmoonunit

Totally agree any parent can give their kids a bad diet no denying that. It does seem very irresponsible though to give a child a vegan only based diet especially in the young years.

Why so?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,059 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Not vegan myself, just annoyed by the headline of the post as I knew what the op would be.

The issue is not the vegan part of the diet. The issue is not providing a sufficient diet regardless of its base.

A properly managed vegan diet would have seen no issue and only a moron would think otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Just bad parenting.

• Advertisement

Why so?

Possibly because it’s not a balanced diet. Purely plant based is not balanced.

Possibly because it’s not a balanced diet. Purely plant based is not balanced.

So you are an authority on that subject?

Not vegan myself, just annoyed by the headline of the post as I knew what the op would be.

The issue is not the vegan part of the diet. The issue is not providing a sufficient diet regardless of its base.

A properly managed vegan diet would have seen no issue and only a moron would think otherwise.

The headline of the post is the headline of the article seemed sensible to use it. No need to be annoyed it’s a discussion.

People choose a plant-based diet for a variety of reasons including concern about the treatment of animals, health reasons, environmental concerns or because of taste and social pressure. Plant-based diets are becoming more popular and if they are well-planned, can support healthy living at every age and life-stage.

Src> https://www.bda.uk.com/foodfacts/plant-based_diet

Plus many, many more.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Once it's well researched and balanced I don't see the issue. Unfortunately people don't do this particularly in terms of the additional needs of children and they run into issues.

A vegetarian/vegan diet can be healthy or unhealthy just like any diet. Veganism isn't the issue here.

• Advertisement

So you are an authority on that subject?

No are you? The post is discussing an article today from Sky presumed this would be the best place to ask thoughts on.

No are you? The post is discussing an article today from Sky presumed this would be the best place to ask thoughts on.

I am not the person saying it isn't a balanced diet though. You are.

I am not the person saying it isn't a balanced diet though. You are.

It’s my opinion as stated I am not an expert just my believes.

Beliefs and facts are not always good bedfellows. Perhaps do some research before you state that it is not a balanced diet, when in-fact it is.

And yet many of us follow such a diet and are perfectly healthy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

As posters mentioned a vegan diet is not the issue, it’s the lack of an appropriate diet for a baby

Afaik if a baby isn’t being breast fed, there are no suitable vegan friendly milk alternatives. Babies and children require a higher amount of calcium than adults which they normally get from milk

I imagine the risk of iron deficiency would be another challenge with a vegan baby’s diet too if not managed correctly.

Disclaimer I’m not a vegan.

eviltwin wrote: »
    And yet many of us follow such a diet and are perfectly healthy

And raise children in the same way.

Beliefs and facts are not always good bedfellows. Perhaps do some research before you state that it is not a balanced diet, when in-fact it is.

Well in the case of this child it does not to have seemed so.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Plenty of people do it without issue.

Therefore it's possible, and if people are not doing it properly, it's because they are not careful enough about it.

You could say they same about any parent, although excluding a particular food group means that an extra level of care is needed to ensure nutritional needs are being met.

Well in the case of this child it does not to have seemed so.

You're still doing it wrong.

• Advertisement

faceman wrote: »
    As posters mentioned a vegan diet is not the issue, it’s the lack of an appropriate diet for a baby

Afaik if a baby isn’t being breast fed, there are no suitable vegan friendly milk alternatives. Babies and children require a higher amount of calcium than adults which they normally get from milk

I imagine the risk of iron deficiency would be another challenge with a vegan baby’s diet too if not managed correctly.

Disclaimer I’m not a vegan.
    osarusan wrote: »
    Plenty of people do it without issue.

Therefore it's possible, and if people are not doing it properly, it's because they are not careful enough about it.

You could say they same about any parent, although excluding a particular food group means that an extra level of care is needed to ensure nutritional needs are being met.

Both excellent points.

And raise children in the same way.

And if the children are healthy is that a problem?

You're still doing it wrong.

I have no idea what you mean by this. I am more than happy to discuss but perhaps you could add some value to the conversation because at the moment you are not.

eviltwin wrote: »
    And if the children are healthy is that a problem?

Exactly, I have 3 healthy vegan children at home. Doctors are always impressed with their status if they need to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Bad parenting is just bad parenting and they should be held accountable.

Don’t think it should be used to target veganism though, it’s too important to be used as a social football.

I have no idea what you mean by this. I am more than happy to discuss but perhaps you could add some value to the conversation because at the moment you are not.

You are making statements that a vegan diet is not balanced. It is and is certified as such by numerous professional and governmental bodies around the world. Your points are wrong, your belief / opinion is wrong. I can't be clearer than that I'm afraid.

The parents in this case could well have malnourished their child on any diet. You choose, wrongly, to state that it is because of the type of diet. When in reality it is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭satguy

Vegans and Jehovah's Witnesses can sometimes blindly put ideology / lifestyle choices in the way of healthy choices.

Let the child when old enough make up it's own mind up, and choose how he / she will eat or pray.

You are making statements that a vegan diet is not balanced. It is and is certified as such by numerous professional and governmental bodies around the world. Your points are wrong, your belief / opinion is wrong. I can't be clearer than that I'm afraid.

The parents in this case could well have malnourished their child on any diet. You choose, wrongly, to state that it is because of the type of diet. When in reality it is not.

The article states it and I personally agree with it but was interested in other opinions it’s called a discussion. I know you are new to boards but discussions are what we have here.

satguy wrote: »
    Vegans and Jehovah's Witnesses can sometimes blindly put ideology / lifestyle choices in the way of healthy choices.

Let the child when old enough make up it's own mind up, and choose how he / she will eat or pray.

Until then force them to eat dead animals though? A diet that contains both type 1 an 2 carcinogens, sure, healthy.

As stated a vegan diet is healthy. Bigotry on the other hand?

What veganism and religion have to do with other I have no clue. Other than some weak whataboutery.

• Advertisement

The article states it and I personally agree with it but was interested in other opinions it’s called a discussion. I know you are new to boards but discussions are what we have here.

The article does not state that a vegan diet is unbalanced or un healthy. You do. The duration of my account bears no relevance to the discussion. Again, your statement is wrong.

Advertisement