Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

The IAA and anna.aero publish stats though they're usually further behind daa's monthly press release. Bubbalo on the skyscrapercity aviation forum is probably the best source out there for stats though again he's usually a couple of months behind

That's my suspicion as well.

The figures must be somewhere even if they don't want to publicly acknowledge them? :confused:

So conspiracy theories start just because they are late for one month. The daa aren’t going to cover up a fact. Why wouldn’t they want to publicly acknowledge a negative ? Also there is no reason that would suggest a negative by the way. Only Norwegian has stopped and Hainan numbers were terrible anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

"New September record as @DublinAirport welcomes 3 million passengers, a 4% inc on last year. Almost 25.5 million passengers have travelled in first nine months of the year & we have welcomed an extra 1.3 million passengers during that time."

I guess that answers that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Kev11491 wrote: »
    "New September record as @DublinAirport welcomes 3 million passengers, a 4% inc on last year. Almost 25.5 million passengers have travelled in first nine months of the year & we have welcomed an extra 1.3 million passengers during that time."

I guess that answers that.

As per kev's post above.

Link below if anyone wants actual proof, some may need to remove their tin hats to read.

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/2019/10/22/new-september-record-as-dublin-airport-welcomes-3-million-passengers

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Took this yesterday the new runway is really taking shape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

sparrowcar wrote: »
    As per kev's post above.

Link below if anyone wants actual proof, some may need to remove their tin hats to read.

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/2019/10/22/new-september-record-as-dublin-airport-welcomes-3-million-passengers

This is a discussion forum and I’m glad to be wrong! Very good growth for Dublin. Keep in mind that a 4% increase now could the same as 9% rise less than a decade ago making it even more impressive.

I still think it will be a tough winter though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Took this yesterday the new runway is really taking shape.

Really clear where any future terminal should go from that image.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Nice photo

Anyone know what the plans are for the other two runways? I’d imagine 16/34 will out of action for a little while when they finish the middle section of the new runway.

Is there likely to be an extension to the new runway, 10/28 and 16/34? I’d imagine as a layman that Dublin will grow exponentially and that there was a complaint that the new runway would need to be longer to accommodate fully loaded flights to the Far East. So imagine the same would hold true if Dublin found itself relying on 10/28 for maintenance or 16/34 if there was a crosswind? I seem to remember seeing a blueprint for Dublin from the 1960’s that envisaged two parallel 3,500m runways.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,887 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

New one is 10L/28R, existing is 10R/28L

There's room to extend 10R/28L but not sure if they'll bother. Doubt they'll be extending 16/34 tbh, they don't appear to own enough land and why bother when they have not one but two much longer runways? There was a plan for a while to do away with 16/34 once both parallel runways were in use, but they decided to keep it.

The location of a third terminal may be obvious but DAA don't own the land and the guys who do want to build their own terminal on it and are basically holding DAA to ransom

Image of the late 60s dual 3500m runways plan - this was posted on DAA's twitter a while back:

489547.jpg

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭prunudo

Just shows how slow we move with infrastructure in this country, nearly 60 years later and only coming to fruition. Also have no sympathy for people who live in the new flight plan given the length this has been planned and the fact there was a runway running in a similar path in previous years, albeit not recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Honest question to anyone who can answer, but why don't the DAA apply for a CPO on the land? or has this been looked into in the past?

My understanding is that they can be sought if acquisition of the land its in the public's best interest? Granted, I studied law and should really know the answer myself but I'm drawing a blank!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,887 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

51 years ago, but yeah. At least they bought the land for the new runway even if it wouldn't be built for decades, pity they didn't do the same for the space between them. Would have been dirt cheap before those gold diggers got their hands on it.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭prunudo

51 years ago, but yeah. At least they bought the land for the new runway even if it wouldn't be built for decades, pity they didn't do the same for the space between them. Would have been dirt cheap before those gold diggers got their hands on it.

Sorry, bad maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Far better off with a competing terminal. Mcevaddy has for more ambitious plans than the daa ever would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

New one is 10L/28R, existing is 10R/28L

There's room to extend 10R/28L but not sure if they'll bother. Doubt they'll be extending 16/34 tbh, they don't appear to own enough land and why bother when they have not one but two much longer runways? There was a plan for a while to do away with 16/34 once both parallel runways were in use, but they decided to keep it.

The location of a third terminal may be obvious but DAA don't own the land and the guys who do want to build their own terminal on it and are basically holding DAA to ransom

Image of the late 60s dual 3500m runways plan - this was posted on DAA's twitter a while back:

489547.jpg

Thanks for the information. Can I ask why they wouldn’t bother extending both runways? Say for example 10R/28L was the only runway in operation due to maintenance etc or is it a case that maintenance is scheduled overnight only? I would have thought there would be some plan for 16/34. As I understood it is used for late night landings due to the flight path over rural Dublin.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Far better off with a competing terminal. Mcevaddy has for more ambitious plans than the daa ever would.
    It's a bonkers idea that has basically never been done. There are land lease or public private partnership terminals but never a totally separate one demanding runway access

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The satellite terminals that are in the DAA plans seem like a perfectly well thought out idea to me.

Have you actually sat down and read the detail of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Is there any airport in the world where this has been done?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Blut2

A competing private terminal is an absolutely insane idea. Can you imagine the duplication of resources, and the race-to-the-bottom in customer experience to cut costs, that would happen?

The land should be CPO'd (for a reasonable farmland, non-speculative, value) and given to the DAA for development. The larger DUB gets the better it is for Ireland as a country, and the DAA have already shown they can run/develop it very well.

Mcevaddy has for more ambitious plans.

Based on what ?

• Advertisement

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Is there any airport in the world where this has been done?

A fair few of the airports in the USA have privately owned(by airlines or groups)but I’m not aware of any airport that would have this suggested version. Having said that that’ll probably be why Ross will give it the go ahead.

Ross/CAR should say NO to any further development east of the airport but say that it’s a yes to the west side plus they will allow an increase in charges to pay for a properly designed expansion.

Anything the state does or semi state does here , is usually poor. Dublin airport is a joke. The infrastructure is a joke. Two billion for their planned upgrade is a joke.

I bet mcevaddy would be far more proactive about luring new business!

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/mcevaddy-in-it-for-the-long-haul-at-dublin-airport-38520367.html

I read a quote by him a while back , saying how he planned far more ambitious expansion than the daa ever would. If you build a terminal that can handle thirty million , you’d want to be fairly proactive in encouraging new business!

Blut2 wrote: »
    A competing private terminal is an absolutely insane idea. Can you imagine the duplication of resources, and the race-to-the-bottom in customer experience to cut costs, that would happen?

The land should be CPO'd (for a reasonable farmland, non-speculative, value) and given to the DAA for development. The larger DUB gets the better it is for Ireland as a country, and the DAA have already shown they can run/develop it very well.
    Customer experience, do you mean like many of the staff in Dublin that would grunt at you if asking a question ? Lots of security lanes closed etc? What resources are duplicated , you’re talking a pittance in the scheme of a project like that and operating a terminal.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

A quote by a businessman who has no experience in running terminals is worthless.

It is an incredibly stupid idea pushed by someone with a grudge basically.

LXFlyer wrote: »
    The satellite terminals that are in the DAA plans seem like a perfectly well thought out idea to me.

Have you actually sat down and read the detail of them?

No i don’t think I have. I just don’t rate the daa at all. Would like to see what mcevaddyvwould do...

No i don’t think I have. I just don’t rate the daa at all. Would like to see what mcevaddyvwould do...

You are trusting someone with zero experience when you haven't even got the slightest clue what is actually proposed?

Why?

L1011 wrote: »
    A quote by a businessman who has no experience in running terminals is worthless.

It is an incredibly stupid idea pushed by someone with a grudge basically.
    He has held onto that land for a long time. He says he has the financial backing for it ...

L1011 wrote: »
    You are trusting someone with zero experience when you haven't even got the slightest clue what is actually proposed?

Why?

What have daa delivered? Ridiculously short runway. Longer time sitting on the ground in Dublin than some flights you take to the uk. No vision in providing more stands and gates before things went crazy at the airport. The road infrastructure is a joke for that size airport. An airport with nearly 35,000,000 pax this year and not even a rail link to it, that’s outside of their control though admittedly!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

What have daa delivered?!

An airport with nearly 35,000,000 pax this year

Answered your own question... Its clear someone in the DAA knows what they are doing

• Advertisement

Look at transfer traffic. Dublin perfectly positioned for North America transfers. We handle way less connecting traffic than Helsinki for example...

Advertisement