Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spanking kids?

• 09-12-2019 4:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Why do less developed countries do it more? More importantly, why is there such a strong resistance among people regarding spanking their kids to other alternatives? Had this discussion with a few family members back in Africa and at the end, we agreed to disagree. Just can't change someones mind. Even with evidence.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,677 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

And now we have feral kids because you can't touch them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

fritzelly wrote: »

More down to “lazy” parenting than a lack of beatings.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,837 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Were you and I love Your Vibes spanked?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

More down to “lazy” parenting than a lack of beatings.

Discipline ≠ spanking

You can discipline kids without ever laying hands on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

If you have to hit a kid to keep them under control you’re failing as a parent.

• Advertisement

In all seriousness, yes I was. back when i was living in Africa. My dad spanked me until he went to America in 2005 (when I was 7 years old).

Don't think it helped me cause look where I am...lol. Have friends in college who were never spanked and turned out very successful.

They certainly have stolen your “thunder” for the last few months but that shouldn’t deter you from starting your inane threads.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I am politically incorrect on this topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

what if the kid is into a bit of spanking, what do you do then eh?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

frag420 wrote: »
    what if the kid is into a bit of spanking, what do you do then eh?:D

Is it not his right to identify as a horse if he wants to?

• Advertisement

Discipline ≠ spanking

You can discipline kids without ever laying hands on them.

Apologies, F, I was implying that the feral children were a product of parents not willing to put the time in to discipline their kids, without kicking the **** out of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Is it not his right to identify as a horse if he wants to?

Then surely you would use a whip no?

:eek::D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I think this is one of those things that will come full circle. Remember breastfeeding was out of vogue back in the day for a few years? mark my words in another few years when a kid is having a fking meltdown in Supervalu because they can't have a Taz bar, they'll get a swift punch in the face, followed by a toe up the hole, and it will sort them right out, and other parents will look on approvingly.

Hopefully you'll be allowed do it to other people's kids too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

We always got around it by slapping rather than spanking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Would you spank an adult who was misbehaving..
    Probably not for fear of getting a smack back

Sky King wrote: »
    I think this is one of those things that will come full circle. Remember breastfeeding was out of vogue back in the day for a few years? mark my words in another few years when a kid is having a fking meltdown in Supervalu because they can't have a Taz bar, they'll get a swift punch in the face, followed by a toe up the hole, and it will sort them right out, and other parents will look on approvingly.

Hopefully you'll be allowed do it to other people's kids too.

We had that for a good 70 years.

Sure things have swung, possibly, too far the other way but if parents stopped sticking “screens” in front of their kids and put some time, and effort, in you’d see less of that bratty behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,837 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

thomasm wrote: »

Depends on who it was!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Short answer is education. Long answer is that it's probably not education specifically, but a side-effect of a combination of social changes that high levels of education brings.

seamus wrote: »
    Short answer is education. Long answer is that it's probably not education specifically, but a side-effect of a combination of social changes that high levels of education brings.

My family back in Africa is upper middle class and still spank their kids. Might have to do more with religion to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

I don't get the chance to spank my kid, i'm too busy spanking the missus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

If you have to hit a kid to keep them under control you’re failing as a parent.

Don't feed the troll people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My family back in Africa is upper middle class and still spank their kids. Might have to do more with religion to be honest.
    It's all intertwined. This is a broader social attitude as opposed to individuals changing their mind. Most of what we do on a day-to-day basis is down to what is considered "normal" in our society, not what we individually choose to do. It does get muddy though, since we tend to think that we've chosen to do (or not do) something, when it's actually a preference that's been conditioned into us by the society that we live in.

Individuals can be highly educated and religious. But societies who rank highly in education, tend to be the least religious.

I'm sure some academic has a name for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

A dinner plate across the head works wonders, although a tea saucer is also useful for lesser crimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

beejee wrote: »
    A dinner plate across the head works wonders, although a tea saucer is also useful for lesser crimes.

The ould clatter with the platter?

Sky King wrote: »
    The ould clatter with the platter?

A plate across the face,
    Puts an Ingrate in place
    A saucer upon the bonce,
    Turns chumps into chomps

I like chomps, chewy chocolate. I eat children, is what I'm saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,525 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Do people who spank kids also give their dog a shoe up the hole to correct them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Might explain the sh1te they post

Sig edited so not to "offend" genocide apologists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYOZ3IzRaf4

https://www.btselem.org/

Do people who spank kids also give their dog a shoe up the hole to correct them?

How does one "give" a dogs anus a shoe?

Are you implying that a dogs shoitehole is like a vacuum, a black hole that will suck anything into it?

If so, how do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Exactly. As if a bold and feral child is really going to listen to a few words said to them by their parent. In most cases you shouldn't have to give your child a slap but I think parents should be allowed smack their kids if they are getting too brazen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Exactly. As if a bold child is really going to listen to a few words said to them by their parent. I think parents should be allowed smack their kids if they are getting too brazen.
    How would you feel if your boss at work smacked you for ****ing up? Or if a guard gave you a few slaps for speeding?

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    How would you feel if your boss at work smacked you for ****ing up? Or if a guard gave you a few slaps for speeding?

I like where you're going here.

If a child screws up, you are allowed to fire them from the family. Or ask them to produce their child licence, and when they don't comply, you can fine them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Spanking doesn't sound quite right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I've never hit my children and they both turned out fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Woke Hogan wrote: »

That would only work if you loved boss, looked up to them and trusted them 100%, only for that trust to be thrown out by shítty boss who's completely in over their head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

thomasm wrote: »

To be fair, I don't go round LIDL putting other middle aged men on the naughty step or telling them they can't put Pot Noodles in my basket either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,446 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,525 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

beejee wrote: »
    How does one "give" a dogs anus a shoe?

Are you implying that a dogs shoitehole is like a vacuum, a black hole that will suck anything into it?

If so, how do you know?

You know what I mean.

Don't give up the day job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

I slapped the oldest of my kids but not the last few. I think I learned some skills as a parent to discipline along the way. Don't agree kids are feral because they are not slapped. They are feral because they are badly parented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i'd hazard a guess that some of the feral kids that terrorise neighbourhoods and the luas red line in dublin have been hockeyed out of it by their parents. most though i would say are just an inconvenience to their parents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

It's insanely easy to get my child to behave. Just confiscate all the electronic gadgets and put them in a pile in our bedroom. She does what she's told immediately.

Having said that, I can't remember ever having to give her a slap. She is usually very well behaved, to her credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

What is the appropriate response to a child that has lost it in a shop or at home??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Growing up in the 60s and 70s I was beaten by almost every authority figure imaginable:
    Parents, teachers, priests, Christian brothers, nuns, guards, uncles, aunts, cousins, coaches.

Even the postman gave me an unholy battering one time for knocking the sideview mirror of his van out of place with my football by mistake. I have never laid a hand on any of my children, or my wife, and I never will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

I slapped the oldest of my kids but not the last few. I think I learned some skills as a parent to discipline along the way. Don't agree kids are feral because they are not slapped. They are feral because they are badly parented.

True enough.
    However, the issue arising here is where people believe that as long as they are not slapping their children, they are parenting well. This is not the case.

A rising issue with kids today is their parents going to bat for them too much, acting more as a personal bodyguard than a parent. The problem is it also a readymade way to foster a disrespectful, entitled or superior attitude towards others, and towards elders in particular. This is evident in the noticeable change in attitude displayed towards teachers for example. Parents are guilty of refusing to place blame at their childs door far too often because they dont want to accept or believe that their child can act out in a school environment.

I remember being in school, and while I was a good child in general and never in any real trouble, at second level I could be a little sh*t if I knew I would get away with it. It was the whole pack mentality thing and I acted and spoke in there in a manner i never would have at home. Many people were like this truth be told. I dont get why anyone would expect their own child to, in turn, be any different to what they experienced themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭bladespin

MeTheMan wrote: »
    What is the appropriate response to a child that has lost it in a shop or at home??

Dealing with it obviously, I doubt loosing it yourself and lashing out is going to help anyone, if a child's past the point where it can contain itself the first objective should be to calm them down.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

bladespin wrote: »
    Dealing with it obviously, I doubt loosing it yourself and lashing out is going to help anyone, if a child's past the point where it can contain itself the first objective should be to calm them down.

It was just a question. Is a child best ignored in this situation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭bladespin

It was just a question. Is a child best ignored in this situation?

I understand, just replying with the original post in mind.

My youngest would fit the above criteria on the button, he really knows when and where to meltdown for maximum effect, with him I find the first thing to do is try to get him to breath (no joke) and calm him down from there, punishment (if justified) can be dealt with afterward, but telling him 'how disappointed I am' will cut no mustard. In the old days he would definitely be the one who got the smacks but nowadays we're trying to be more modern in our approach but it's not easy, I guarantee you.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,476 ✭✭✭pgj2015

anyone who hits their kids is a scumbag in my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

pgj2015 wrote: »
    anyone who hits their kids is a scumbag in my eyes.

I hit other people’s kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

A friend of mine had a 9 year old did just that. She pulled out the phone and recorded it, then showed it back to the child when the child had calmed down.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement