Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spanking kids?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Exactly. As if a bold child is really going to listen to a few words said to them by their parent. I think parents should be allowed smack their kids if they are getting too brazen.
    How would you feel if your boss at work smacked you for ****ing up? Or if a guard gave you a few slaps for speeding?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    How would you feel if your boss at work smacked you for ****ing up? Or if a guard gave you a few slaps for speeding?

I like where you're going here.

If a child screws up, you are allowed to fire them from the family. Or ask them to produce their child licence, and when they don't comply, you can fine them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Spanking doesn't sound quite right.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

fritzelly wrote: »
    And now we have feral kids because you can't touch them

I've never hit my children and they both turned out fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Woke Hogan wrote: »

That would only work if you loved boss, looked up to them and trusted them 100%, only for that trust to be thrown out by shítty boss who's completely in over their head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

thomasm wrote: »
    Would you spank an adult who was misbehaving..
    Probably not for fear of getting a smack back

To be fair, I don't go round LIDL putting other middle aged men on the naughty step or telling them they can't put Pot Noodles in my basket either.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,859 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 15,945 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

beejee wrote: »
    How does one "give" a dogs anus a shoe?

Are you implying that a dogs shoitehole is like a vacuum, a black hole that will suck anything into it?

If so, how do you know?

You know what I mean.

Don't give up the day job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

I slapped the oldest of my kids but not the last few. I think I learned some skills as a parent to discipline along the way. Don't agree kids are feral because they are not slapped. They are feral because they are badly parented.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i'd hazard a guess that some of the feral kids that terrorise neighbourhoods and the luas red line in dublin have been hockeyed out of it by their parents. most though i would say are just an inconvenience to their parents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

It's insanely easy to get my child to behave. Just confiscate all the electronic gadgets and put them in a pile in our bedroom. She does what she's told immediately.

Having said that, I can't remember ever having to give her a slap. She is usually very well behaved, to her credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

What is the appropriate response to a child that has lost it in a shop or at home??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Growing up in the 60s and 70s I was beaten by almost every authority figure imaginable:
    Parents, teachers, priests, Christian brothers, nuns, guards, uncles, aunts, cousins, coaches.

Even the postman gave me an unholy battering one time for knocking the sideview mirror of his van out of place with my football by mistake. I have never laid a hand on any of my children, or my wife, and I never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

I slapped the oldest of my kids but not the last few. I think I learned some skills as a parent to discipline along the way. Don't agree kids are feral because they are not slapped. They are feral because they are badly parented.

True enough.
    However, the issue arising here is where people believe that as long as they are not slapping their children, they are parenting well. This is not the case.

A rising issue with kids today is their parents going to bat for them too much, acting more as a personal bodyguard than a parent. The problem is it also a readymade way to foster a disrespectful, entitled or superior attitude towards others, and towards elders in particular. This is evident in the noticeable change in attitude displayed towards teachers for example. Parents are guilty of refusing to place blame at their childs door far too often because they dont want to accept or believe that their child can act out in a school environment.

I remember being in school, and while I was a good child in general and never in any real trouble, at second level I could be a little sh*t if I knew I would get away with it. It was the whole pack mentality thing and I acted and spoke in there in a manner i never would have at home. Many people were like this truth be told. I dont get why anyone would expect their own child to, in turn, be any different to what they experienced themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

MeTheMan wrote: »
    What is the appropriate response to a child that has lost it in a shop or at home??

Dealing with it obviously, I doubt loosing it yourself and lashing out is going to help anyone, if a child's past the point where it can contain itself the first objective should be to calm them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

bladespin wrote: »
    Dealing with it obviously, I doubt loosing it yourself and lashing out is going to help anyone, if a child's past the point where it can contain itself the first objective should be to calm them down.

It was just a question. Is a child best ignored in this situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

It was just a question. Is a child best ignored in this situation?

I understand, just replying with the original post in mind.

My youngest would fit the above criteria on the button, he really knows when and where to meltdown for maximum effect, with him I find the first thing to do is try to get him to breath (no joke) and calm him down from there, punishment (if justified) can be dealt with afterward, but telling him 'how disappointed I am' will cut no mustard. In the old days he would definitely be the one who got the smacks but nowadays we're trying to be more modern in our approach but it's not easy, I guarantee you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭pgj2015

anyone who hits their kids is a scumbag in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

pgj2015 wrote: »
    anyone who hits their kids is a scumbag in my eyes.

I hit other people’s kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,231 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

A friend of mine had a 9 year old did just that. She pulled out the phone and recorded it, then showed it back to the child when the child had calmed down.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

You first

• Registered Users Posts: 17,352 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Peatys wrote: »
    You first

Though the parent would be carted off as a bad parent and the kid comforted for the distress he had to endure and probably sue the supermarket
    Slap on the backside never hurt any kid (bar the stinging for a while)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,945 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Slap on the backside never hurt any kid (bar the stinging for a while)

If it's that harmless, try it on an adult why not?

If it's that harmless, try it on an adult why not?

Many enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,612 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Many enjoy it

And many “enjoyed” doing it to kids from the foundation of the State up until the mid 90s.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

And many “enjoyed” doing it to kids from the foundation of the State up until the mid 90s.

Big difference between a slap on the backside when you've been naughty and beating the crap out of them for some crappy excuse because you enjoyed it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

The spank or not spank kids discussion always seems to be just focused on the kids, and doesnt take sufficient account of the positives from the parents side of things. From their side, it has a whole range of benefits, from quitening a child, relieving stress, passing on a time tested parenting technique to your own little ones, and, yes, to some only admittedly, the pure pleasure of inflicting violence on those posing no risk of retaliation. You have to look a the issue from both sides.

All these studies that smacking a kid who is madly misbehaving quote various unproven anecdotes that it will scar them for life or make them the same way that they will turn out to be the type to do the same and worse to other people
    I'm sure many here had a whack of the backside and learnt you weren't gonna win here

I had the cane and pump in school - I learnt not to do it again, don't remember my parents hitting me but I'm sure they did. I turned out alright.
    Was one teacher in school who was a nasty piece of work (slammed the door on a pupils hand, had another Physics teacher who whacked me over the head - that kinda thing is not on)

Now you have kids running riot - DART for example, the guy whose wife was being hounded by a gang of teenagers in a shopping center - they believe they are untouchable, because if you touch them you will get jailed for defending yourself (as the guy in the shopping center was convicted)

I really believe society has gone soft to the point of anarchy in a sense, where has the fear of being brought home by the garda gone?

We've been punishing children for millenia - society is not broken (or was not broken)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,231 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

We've been punishing children for millenia - society is not broken (or was not broken)

I think I grew up in a different society to you if you think it wasn't broken. it was just very well covered up.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

I think I grew up in a different society to you if you think it wasn't broken. it was just very well covered up.

You seem to be mixing up child abuse worth child discipline

Advertisement