Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Given that World War III is starting...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

mad muffin wrote: »
    Good. Good.

The world is stagnating, the population to large to support. We need to thin the herd.

I for one, welcome this new world war.

I love this kind of opinion and the agreement it usually gets.

"Time to cull the herd", "We need a large plague" etc.

Just as long as it doesn't affect you or your family, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

...at least according to Reuters today, I was wondering if this article in the Herald is still true.

To save you the bother of reading the articles, Russia's violation of Turkish (i.e. NATO) airspace is "raising the stakes in a high risk situation" (UK MoD Sec), and so we're all fecked.

But the real issue that perplexes me is whether we should pay any attention to the Herald when stocking up on baked beans. Heinz, Batchelors' and Aldi beans offer national pride, nostalgic comfort and brutal economic realities which are jostling for position in my mind.

Has anyone tried all three?

Surely all these beans would contribute to man made climate change due to methane emissions rising?
    Then we would maybe need a nuclear winter to counteract it...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

You know what... **** America.

Yeah f*** America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

RobertKK wrote: »
    Surely all these beans would contribute to man made climate change due to methane emissions rising?
    Then we would maybe need a nuclear winter to counteract it...

Hey man, I'm seeking advice about Batchelors' vs Heinz beans, as reported in the Evening Herald seven years ago. If you want to engage in some sort of hypothetical political nonsense, start your own thread.

I'm sorry to be harsh, but everyone else who has posted on here has clearly read the articles, hence all the well-thought-out comments and appropriate thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

I've only come to realise in the past couple of years how sinister American foreign policy is. Bombing a hospital a day after preaching all over the media about the Russians killing innocents in Syria was the final straw. F**kers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Rippington

FalconGirl wrote: »
    I've only come to realise in the past couple of years how sinister American foreign policy is. Bombing a hospital a day after preaching all over the media about the Russians killing innocents in Syria was the final straw. F**kers
    Big time , they have been getting away with it for decades now and more and more people are waking up see their double standards regard Russian military actions .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Aenaes wrote: »
    I love this kind of opinion and the agreement it usually gets.

"Time to cull the herd", "We need a large plague" etc.

Just as long as it doesn't affect you or your family, eh?

For the betterment of humanity. I'm prepared to take that risk…

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

LordSutch wrote: »
    ...keeping an eye on the Russian jets deliberate incursions into Turkish space :cool:

Isn't keeping an eye on Russian planes invading others airspace Sarah Palins job ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

FalconGirl wrote: »

That wasn't AMERICA who bombed that hospital.

It was one or two men, who called in air support. It was a Close Air Support mission, which bypasses the usual targetting process, by allowing men on the ground to speak directly to an aircraft and talk them on to the target. For artillery, missiles and (where I worked) mortars all requests for FIRES (rounds on the the target from the observer) go through a central Command Post, or Joint Fires Cell, where the request is scrutinised, and then given permission. The artillery/missles/mortars won't fire unless they get the go ahead from the CP or JFC, who have a ton of information at hand to decide if there is any risk of civilian casualties.

The people who ****ed up were the guys who called in the air support. The pilot is simply the driver of a very expensive weapons platform who has to rely on what he is told. Don't go blaming 300 million people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Would it live up to its predecessor though? WWII is a tough act to follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Jesus, imagine the scarcidy of Wifi during War-Time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Wifi would be grand, as long as you had electricity. Getting that wifi to do anything might be difficult though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

KungPao wrote: »
    Would it live up to its predecessor though? WWII is a tough act to follow.

It was a good war, yes.

It wasn't a great war though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

topper75 wrote: »
    It was a good war, yes.

It wasn't a great war though.

No WWI was The Great War.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

We all might have to head out Californee way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Oh, there will be no problem with WiFi, as long as you're talking to other devices on the same network in your house. The Internet, on the other hand, will be the first thing to be cut off by the government of a country at war.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I hope all men here under 35 will be putting themselves forward for service.

Here's how an Azerbaijani news agency is reporting the latest developments:
    TURKISH PM TALKS POSSIBLE WORLD WAR III

Precautions are sometimes voiced about the repetition of another World War in view of the recent conflicts in the world, and especially the one going on in the Middle East.

One such precaution has come from Turkey’s Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu.

“It is needed to make every effort to prevent the start of World War III,” he said in an interview with Star TV, commenting on the latest developments in the region.

He added that currently there is no such danger, as countries have all the capabilities for talks.

“But it is difficult to predict what may happen in the future, if the violations of international law principles continue,” said Davutoglu.

It's more exciting if you read it while playing this in the background (Khachaturian's parents were from what is now Azerbaijan, and it's kind of an early emergency news bulletin theme...)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

discus wrote: »
    That wasn't AMERICA who bombed that hospital.

It was one or two men, who called in air support. It was a Close Air Support mission, which bypasses the usual targetting process, by allowing men on the ground to speak directly to an aircraft and talk them on to the target. For artillery, missiles and (where I worked) mortars all requests for FIRES (rounds on the the target from the observer) go through a central Command Post, or Joint Fires Cell, where the request is scrutinised, and then given permission. The artillery/missles/mortars won't fire unless they get the go ahead from the CP or JFC, who have a ton of information at hand to decide if there is any risk of civilian casualties.

The people who ****ed up were the guys who called in the air support. The pilot is simply the driver of a very expensive weapons platform who has to rely on what he is told. Don't go blaming 300 million people.

Essentially, this same argument was used previously, at a little place called Nuremberg and to everyones amazement it didn't work!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭John Mongo

karma_ wrote: »
    Essentially, this same argument was used previously, at a little place called Nuremberg and to everyones amazement it didn't work!!!

The actions of the senior Nazi leadership and the mistake made by a soldier calling in a CAS mission in the Kunduz region aren't even remotely similar.

Don't be so ridiculous.

• Advertisement

John Mongo wrote: »
    The actions of the senior Nazi leadership and the mistake made by a soldier calling in a CAS mission in the Kunduz region aren't even remotely similar.

Don't be so ridiculous.

Well, we are talking about the essence of the argument that particular poster made. They are the very same, exactly... hardly ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

John Mongo wrote: »

Don't be so ridiculous.

I wonder about the level of reading comprehension in Ireland, is it even on the school curriculum anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

karma_ wrote: »
    Well, we are talking about the essence of the argument that particular poster made. They are the very same, exactly... hardly ridiculous.
    Are you suggesting that the pilots or gunners of the AC-130 should be courts-martialed, then? If you're going to invoke the "Nuremberg defence", you should at least start with the Wikipedia page about it, here. In particular, the bit about the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court on war crimes, which states:
    1. The fact that a crime within the jurisdiction of the Court has been committed by a person pursuant to an order of a Government or of a superior, whether military or civilian, shall not relieve that person of criminal responsibility unless:

(a) The person was under a legal obligation to obey orders of the Government or the superior in question;
    (b) The person did not know that the order was unlawful; and
    (c) The order was not manifestly unlawful.

2. For the purposes of this article, orders to commit genocide or crimes against humanity are manifestly unlawful.
    I'm including article 2 because I would be accused of selective quotation if I didn't - but no, as horrible as the hospital bombing was, it doesn't qualify as genocide or a "crime against humanity".

So, do you think those in the AC-130 positively knew they were attacking a hospital? I seriously doubt that, meaning they are protected by articles 1(b) and/or (c). If you think they did know, and did it anyway, you're flatly accusing them of war crimes, which is not to be done lightly. How much do you have to hate the USA to assume the worst about them, before we know anything about what happened?

(On the other hand: regarding those on the ground who provided the information to the CP, and those in the CP who gave the orders - they're going to get books thrown at them.)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

bnt wrote: »
    Are you suggesting that the pilots or gunners of the AC-130 should be courts-martialed, then? If you're going to invoke the "Nuremberg defence", you should at least start with the Wikipedia page about it, here. In particular, the bit about the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court on war crimes, which states:

I'm including article 2 because I would be accused of selective quotation if I didn't - but no, as horrible as the hospital bombing was, it doesn't qualify as genocide or a "crime against humanity".

So, do you think those in the AC-130 positively knew they were attacking a hospital? I seriously doubt that, meaning they are protected by articles 1(b) and/or (c). If you think they did know, and did it anyway, you're flatly accusing them of war crimes, which is not to be done lightly. How much do you have to hate the USA to assume the worst about them, before we know anything about what happened?

(On the other hand: regarding those on the ground who provided the information to the CP, and those in the CP who gave the orders - they're going to get books thrown at them.)

Jesus H. I was simply rubbishing the post by the poster I quoted and pointing out the absurdity of his position.

All this moral equivalence stuff - presumably borrowed third-hand from social studies dropouts - is hilarious.

Do carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

tins of beans OP
    tins of beans
    you could eat them hot or cold ;)

NATO is looking stoopid sticking up for Turkey, admittedly a member of NATO, but a country run another header, Erdogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

...at least according to Reuters today, I was wondering if this article in the Herald is still true.

To save you the bother of reading the articles, Russia's violation of Turkish (i.e. NATO) airspace is "raising the stakes in a high risk situation" (UK MoD Sec), and so we're all fecked.

But the real issue that perplexes me is whether we should pay any attention to the Herald when stocking up on baked beans. Heinz, Batchelors' and Aldi beans offer national pride, nostalgic comfort and brutal economic realities which are jostling for position in my mind.

Has anyone tried all three?

Never mind that sh*t, here comes Mongo!

BBDBB wrote: »
    Never mind that sh*t, here comes Mongo!

Candygram for Putin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Well judging by not being able to hit the country of Syria with Cruise missiles and hitting Iran. Should we worry to much about it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Who cares if WW3 is starting(again)? It's not like Ireland ever participates, bravely doing nothing as usual.

Advertisement